PDA

View Full Version : Warriors offer Tyson Chandler 4 Years/60 Million

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 01:54 PM
The ball is in Tyson Chandler's court. Or at least the contract is. Well not in his court, but more like his hand. You get what I mean. I think.

Here's the point: The Warriors have officially offered Chandler a contract, according to CSN Bay Area.
With NBA free agents allowed to officially sign contracts on Friday, Chandler has a deal from the Warriors in front of him worth more than $60 million over four years, according to two league sources.

The Warriors have made Chandler Priority No. 1 this offseason, and they hope to get an answer from Chandler on Day 1 of free agency. The hope is by Friday the Warriors will know if they have a defensive anchor at center or whether they’ll have to go in another direction.

It's a complicated move to get Chandler though. First, the Warriors need to amnesty Andris Biedrins who is still owed $27 million over three years. That is a whole lot of money to be paying for nothing, along with the new deal you're giving Chandler. I guess new owner Joe Lacob is serious about doing what it takes.

Chandler is 29 and has had a number of injuries bite him. He averaged 10.1 points and 9.4 rebounds per game last season and was of course a major part of helping the Mavericks win a title.

And with the Chris Paul trade talk swirling around and the Warriors involved, there's some thinking that Paul would love to play with Chandler again. If that's the case, then the Warriors offering Chandler a deal could be a trump card in what Paul decides to to after this season.

The Warriors have been wanting to make a change in style and structure under the new ownership and new coaching staff led by Mark Jackson. Chandler would be a major step in that direction.

The question is -- is the offer good enough? Four years and $60 million is a major offer and it's hard to see Chandler getting that from anyone else. There are other interested parties like the Nets and Mavs, but it's hard to see either going higher than that. The Mavericks have some shuffling to do if they want to keep Chandler and while the Nets are ready to spend, Nene seems to be a better fit for them.

So really, it comes down to what the Mavericks are willing to do. And whether or not Chandler is willing to give them a hometown defending champions discount.

Chandler has already said he thinks he'll be on a new team by training camp and while that could be posturing, that also could be reality if he decides to put his name on the Warriors' offer.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33755560

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/08/SPCO1M9P2L.DTL

JaZzyJaTT
12-08-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warriors-talk/post/Chandler-has-offer-from-Warriors-in-hand?blockID=608184&feedID=5882

By, Matt Steinmentz, CSN

The ball is in Tyson Chandler’s court.

With NBA free agents allowed to officially sign contracts on Friday, Chandler has a deal from the Warriors in front of him worth more than $60 million over four years, according to two league sources.

The Warriors have made Chandler Priority No. 1 this offseason, and they hope to get an answer from Chandler on Day 1 of free agency. The hope is by Friday the Warriors will know if they have a defensive anchor at center or whether they’ll have to go in another direction.

In order to sign Chandler -- assuming he agrees -- the Warriors will likely have to amnesty center Andris Biedrins, still owed $27 million over three years.

Chandler is considered one of the best big men in this year’s free agent class -- along with Nene and Marc Gasol. But among those three, Chandler is by far the best defender -- important to the Warriors because they want to place more of an emphasis on that end of the court under new coach Mark Jackson.

Chandler helped the Dallas Mavericks secure their first-ever NBA championship in 2011, and the door hasn’t been closed on a return there, according to a source. However, Chandler indicated more than week ago he believed his days in Dallas were over.

There are also rumblings that the New York Knicks are very much in the mix for Chandler, although it might take them using amnesty on Chauncey Billups to get him.

Chandler averaged 10.1 points and 9.4 rebounds in 27.8 minutes per game last season. However, Chandler missed significant portions of each of the previous two seasons with injury.

A message was left with Chandler's agent, Jeff Schwartz, for comment, but he has not returned calls.

If the Warriors were to sign Chandler, he would no doubt upgrade their interior defense, a woeful shortcoming of the team last season. Chandler is considered one of the best in the league at protecting the rim – a needed asset because the Warriors’ perimeter players often struggle keeping the opposition out of the lane.

Read more: Chandler has offer from Warriors
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Got this from the NBA forum. But it says "Sources believe it will take 4 years 60 mil to sign him." Maybe that's not what they offered. Close if you would like Mods.

BrandoCommando
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
If that's what it takes to get him, I'd be willing to pay him that if I'm ownership. Gotta make moves

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
If we do sign him, that tells me Ellis will be gone, if Paul doesn't come. There is no way the Warriors will be able to pay Curry, Ellis, Lee and Chandler in three years.

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Already a thread bro. But I hope he decides to come here. We need him so bad.

djeller1139
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Supposedly Knicks jump in front of Warriors in Chandler sweepstakes. :shrug: we shall see.

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Supposedly Knicks jump in front of Warriors in Chandler sweepstakes. :shrug: we shall see.

Yeah apparently so.

BrandoCommando
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Wtf? **** the knicks

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:26 PM
If we don't get him, I'm going to be pissed the **** off.

Public Enemy #1
12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Can the knicks offer him more even if they amnesty Billups?

BrandoCommando
12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Me too especially if the knicks pay him more, that'll mean the market will cost us even more for someone like Gasol or Nene -_-

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
"Will be interesting to see if GSW sweetens offer to trump Knicks, but 'Dubs have have a limit and it may not matter anyway."

http://twitter.com/KBergCBS

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:36 PM
No Paul no Chandler. Were going to have the same roster. SMFH!

BrandoCommando
12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
After all this aggressiveness (for the lack of a better word), I can't see us having the same roster going into the season.

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Are the Knicks upping his amount so we raise our offer leaving no room to make that Paul trade? If that rumor of Billups+ for a sign and trade are true then that makes a lot of sense.

I guess DeAndre Jordan is the next guy we should go after.

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Are the Knicks upping his amount so we raise our offer leaving no room to make that Paul trade? If that rumor of Billups+ for a sign and trade are true then that makes a lot of sense.

I guess DeAndre Jordan is the next guy we should go after.

From what I'm hearing it's the same or less then we offered, but Chandler would rather play for NY.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
This makes me nervous. If we dont get chandler, then Lacob might get desperate to keep his word of a "big move" and trade curry for paul without an extension. Last thing we need is to lose chandler to the knicks, then watch paul walk to the knicks after this season.

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:45 PM
This makes me nervous. If we dont get chandler, then Lacob might get desperate to keep his word of a "big move" and trade curry for paul without an extension. Last thing we need is to lose chandler to the knicks, then watch paul walk to the knicks after this season.

Somehow we went from getting Paul and Chandler to not getting any of them.

Public Enemy #1
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't know what to think anymore. It pisses me off though, hearing players say they don't want to play in the Bay Area... Apparently Tyson's first choice has been NYC all along. Don't know what to believe

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know what to think anymore. It pisses me off though, hearing players say they don't want to play in the Bay Area... Apparently Tyson's first choice has been NYC all along. Don't know what to believe

This sucks bro.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
The warriors have been aggressive in the FA market, you cant knock them for that. I don't think you can offer Chandler anything more. Hopefully he comes here.

NY is smart to sign him. They can always Use him as trade bait in the future for Dwight.

Jeff559
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Chandler is not worth 15 million a year, unless it somehow gets CP3 here with an extension.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Chandler for 15 million? add 5 more million and you can have Dwight Howard. lol

Chandler is worth 10-12 million. But theres no other notable Big Man free agent next year other then Dwight Howard.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Looks like a no go on.

Chris Broussard, Twitter.

Source close to Tyson says he will most likely be a knick (98% says he is)

Public Enemy #1
12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Honestly, I don't get the hype wit DeAndre Jordan... Maybe I'm missing something with his so called potential but he shouldn't command 10+ million and the Warriors would be stupid to offer him that. I rather they go after Nene.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Nene is going to get 15-18 mil from someone.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
I hope the Warriors Front Office doesnt make a mistake and just sign someone for the hell of it. save the cap space. .

Leandres_sf
12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Nene is going to get 15-18 mil from someone.

If they are willing to offer Chandler $15mil, why not offer more for Nene?

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
If they are willing to offer Chandler $15mil, why not offer more for Nene?

Nene would be a good fit. He is a solid defender. He has a better defensive rating then Jordan, and is clearly better offensively.

Leandres_sf
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Nene would be a good fit. He is a solid defender. He has a better defensive rating then Jordan, and is clearly better offensively.

If they amnesty Biedrins, what's the most they can offer Nene?

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 05:07 PM
If they amnesty Biedrins, what's the most they can offer Nene?

Assuming the cap is 58 million. The most we could offer Nene after signing Thompson, Jenkins, and Tyler would be around 14-15 million.

BlazeIlluminati
12-08-2011, 05:10 PM
We have 6-7 million in cap, and 9 million dollar amnesty on Biedrins would leave us with about 15-16 million to offer potential free agents. If they get desperate, they can trade Udoh or Thompson or Jenkins for future picks, etc. to save even more money under the cap to offer a potential free agent more.

At this point, rather than super overpaying someone, if Chandler heads to NY, dont go crazy and pull a maggette move and overpay for something jus to say u signed someone.

Warriors made a good run and tryin to improve our team and might come out at the short end of the stick. They could still go hard after Nene with 15 mil a year possibly (if thats really what they offered Chandler).

I HOPE they dont go after Jordan with 15 mil a year though just to make sure Clippers dont match (however, i could see them front loading the contract to make it harder for the CLippers to match)

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I HOPE they dont go after Jordan with 15 mil a year though just to make sure Clippers dont match (however, i could see them front loading the contract to make it harder for the CLippers to match)

This is the LAST thing we should do. I hope you're right.

MackShock
12-08-2011, 05:14 PM
15 per....decent i suppose..at least the numbers dont go up

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM

MackShock
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
i hear the knicks are front runners for chandler, offering 4 years 58 mill

looking to lure in paul next season i see..

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
i hear the knicks are front runners for chandler, offering 4 years 58 mill

looking to lure in paul next season i see..

How could they afford him?

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
How could they afford him?

If the Knicks are going to compete with the Heat and Bulls as the elite in the East during the next few years, they were going to have to find a way to play much better defense.

They may be very close to solving that problem — but it comes with a price. Potentially a steep price.

The Knicks are very close to a deal that will land them defensive center Tyson Chandler, according to multiple reports. Sources told Marc Stein of ESPN that the deal is “98 percent” done. That despite a huge offer and effort from the Golden State Warriors — even the Warriors are saying Chandler is likely to go to the Knicks, reports Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com.

The problem is that to create room for Chandler the Knicks would have to get Chauncey Billups off the books — a development that has stunned Billups, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo sums this all up well.

To add Chandler, the Knicks will either use their amnesty clause to waive Chauncey Billups and his $14.2 million salary or they will trade him, sources said. The Knicks have privately told people that if they trade Billups – who has said he doesn’t want to leave New York – it will be to a “good” team. If the Dallas Mavericks do a sign-and-trade with Chandler, they could conceivably get Billups in return.

If the Knicks amnesty Billups, teams under the salary cap can bid on him and claim him off waivers. Billups’ agent, Andy Miller, said his client is upset about that prospect.

“He’s irate under the circumstances,” Miller said. “He felt this would be his final destination, and he was promised that he would be playing for a team that was going to be competing for the playoffs. He has no intention of being open-minded about any possible situation where a team would claim him off waivers unless it’s a team he chooses himself. Buyer beware.”

Sucks for Billups, but either way this is a good move for the Knicks. With their style of play — Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo offense — and their personnel, the Knicks need a defensive stopper to control the paint. Chandler can do that as well as anyone, and he runs the floor well for a big man. Chandler is good on the pick-and-roll as well, which could add an interesting offensive wrinkle with Carmelo Anthony.

The question becomes who plays point guard for the Knicks? Is Toney Douglas really your starter now? With Iman Shumpert behind him?

Then there is the Chris Paul to New York situation — if the Knicks sign Chandler to a multi-year deal the will not have the room to sign Chris Paul as a free agent this summer (they would have maybe the mid-level exception at best).

Let me repeat that again for Knicks fans — sign Chandler and you CANNOT IN ANY WAY get Chris Paul as a free agent next summer.

The Knicks are still trying to work a trade for Paul and have suggested an Amare Stoudemire for Paul trade, Stein reports at ESPN. That is not happening. The Hornets want to get younger and rebuild if they trade Paul, Stoudemire is older, expensive, and with a history of injuries. He makes no sense for the Hornets at all. They will not do that deal.

But the Knicks seem intent on Chandler. And that is going to make them a much better team.

As a side note, without Chandler there is no way the Mavericks will repeat as champions. Unless you think Brendan Haywood can be the new Tyson Chandler… in which case we would tell you its time to switch medications because this one is making you delirious.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/08/report-knicks-about-to-land-tyson-chandler/

Thats how

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/08/report-knicks-about-to-land-tyson-chandler/

Thats how

I think he was talking about Paul.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I think he was talking about Paul.

My bad, must have miss read

knicks09
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Wtf? **** the knicks

Lmfaoo you are stressed

Lloyd Christmas
12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Lmfaoo you are stressed

We all are. You guys just dumped one of your girls on the side and cockblocked us with our girl at the last minute. Now we are stuck looking at the leftovers during last call. We hate you.

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM
We all are. You guys just dumped one of your girls on the side and cockblocked us with our girl at the last minute. Now we are stuck looking at the leftovers during last call. We hate you.

My sig says it all.

Silent
12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Playing with gs he would of had a career year very stupid on his part

MackShock
12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Chandler is a drama queen. Wanted all the attention when he wanted NY to whole time. That or Paul told him to go there and that he'll meet him there next year..sigh.

Leandres_sf
12-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I really don't like this whole 2 or 3 Super-team idea. These star players are bastards.

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I really don't like this whole 2 or 3 Super-team idea. These star players are bastards.

Competitive balance my ***.

MackShock
12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
well lets see if the paul trade happens again..but with the lakers giving up picks

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
well lets see if the paul trade happens again..but with the lakers giving up picks

Wouldn't it make sense to do something like this? I'm going to use the Knicks as an example.

The Knicks could pay Amare Stoudemire 15 million per season, since he was the first "star" to go to NY.

Since they got Carmello Anthony after they got Stoudemire, the most thy could pay him would be 12 million per season.

Then if they wanted to go after a player like Chris Paul the most they could offer him would be 9 million.

After a team signs three players to 15 million, 12 million, and 9 million, they can then sign any player for under 9 million per season.

That way you wont have two players having max contracts, and that might make "star" players want to go to smaller market teams for more money.

MackShock
12-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Decent idea actually, but every superstar is going to say they are worth 15 mill, and not 12.

But it works out because small market teams will have the ability to give him 15, rather than say, the Lakers or Knicks because they will have offered it to another superstar..

This is of course, if one player per team can get 15.

Also, players will complain I think..I mean then free agency will come down to pick and choose who can give me the most money. There wouldn't be a need for negotiations.

For example, Nene is a free agent. "Well I feel like I'm a superstar so I want 15 million. The only teams that can give me that is Magic, Hornets, and Bucks. I will only go to these teams because they can offer the most money."

Do you get what I'm saying, whats the point of courting free agents anymore?

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Decent idea actually, but every superstar is going to say they are worth 15 mill, and not 12.

But it works out because small market teams will have the ability to give him 15, rather than say, the Lakers or Knicks because they will have offered it to another superstar..

This is of course, if one player per team can get 15.

Also, players will complain I think..I mean then free agency will come down to pick and choose who can give me the most money. There wouldn't be a need for negotiations.

For example, Nene is a free agent. "Well I feel like I'm a superstar so I want 15 million. The only teams that can give me that is Magic, Hornets, and Bucks. I will only go to these teams because they can offer the most money."

Do you get what I'm saying, whats the point of courting free agents anymore?

Yeah I get what your saying, but that's my point. Players would either have to choose between going to The Hornets for 15 million or the Knicks for 12. The whole point is to discourage them from going to bigger market teams, once they already have a star. Even though they could still go to a bigger market team, they would have to take less money.

MackShock
12-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah I get what your saying, but that's my point. Players would either have to choose between going to The Hornets for 15 million or the Knicks for 12. The whole point is to discourage them from going to bigger market teams, once they already have a star. Even though they could still go to a bigger market team, they would have to take less money.

Hmmmmm..thats food for thought..

what about the role players..do they have set contracts too?

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Hmmmmm..thats food for thought..

what about the role players..do they have set contracts too?

They could. But you don't want to put to much restriction, because then big market teams would get all the best role players. Basically after signing one player to 15 million, 12 million, and 9 million, you can then sign anyone you want under 9 million (or less). That way you still have free agency bidding, and things of that nature.

Lloyd Christmas
12-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Nice idea Mibs.

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:51 PM
So to specifically clarify. Say this rule was set into place last year.

Amare Stoudemire - The most he could make would be 15 million a year. Since he got to NY first.

Carmello Anthony - The most he could make would be 12 million a year. Since he got to NY second.

Tyson Chandler - The most he could make would be 9 million a year. Since he got to NY third.

Then they could sign any role players or stars for that matter under lets say 7 million. That way if a star player wants to go to NY, he is going to have to take significant less money then he could if he went to a team without a player making max money.

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Nice idea Mibs.

What's Sterns email lol.

Lloyd Christmas
12-09-2011, 11:54 PM
www.irunthisshit.com

Monta is beast
12-09-2011, 11:57 PM
www.irunthisshit.com

lmfao

MackShock
12-09-2011, 11:57 PM
lol..wow..

its a good idea though..players will be mad because they cant get more money..but if they're already making 15 mill per year..they shouldnt be complaining.

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 12:10 AM
lol..wow..

its a good idea though..players will be mad because they cant get more money..but if they're already making 15 mill per year..they shouldnt be complaining.

They still could earn that money, but they would have to go to a team without a player making max money. And yeah, athletes get paid a ridiculous amount of money.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:17 AM
did you make ure sig when u found out chandler was going to the knicks?

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 12:19 AM
did you make ure sig when u found out chandler was going to the knicks?

Yup lol.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Phew York Knicks

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Phew York Knicks

lol

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Golden State Warriors > New York Knicks

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:30 AM
do you know how to quote an article yet? :)

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 12:32 AM
do you know how to quote an article yet? :)

Haha yeah. I always wondered, but never asked lol.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:36 AM
sweet...thanks..it just looks ugly and too much to read without it

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 12:39 AM
sweet...thanks..it just looks ugly and too much to read without it

Yeah I feel ya lol.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 12:52 AM
theres an eclipse tomorrow....

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 01:36 AM
theres an eclipse tomorrow....

Random aha. Really?

MackShock
12-10-2011, 01:37 AM
yup..at least in san diego...5 am ....should i go?

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 01:39 AM
yup..at least in san diego...5 am ....should i go?

Do you live near SD. And that's a little to early for my liking, but if your up, why not?!

MackShock
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
no..i live IN sd..and the place to watch it isnt that far away...i think im gonna do it. i likely wont sleep then go..gahhh

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 02:03 AM
no..i live IN sd..and the place to watch it isnt that far away...i think im gonna do it. i likely wont sleep then go..gahhh

I was just in SD like three weeks ago. But yeah if your up, I would go.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 02:09 AM
what did you do here?

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 02:11 AM
what did you do here?

Went to the beach, the zoo, went to dicks last resort lol. That place was crazy. And went to a party.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Went to the beach, the zoo, went to dicks last resort lol. That place was crazy. And went to a party.

Thanksgiving break I bet..

damn, we do a very good job staying on topic.

Monta is beast
12-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanksgiving break I bet..

damn, we do a very good job staying on topic.

Yeah. And I know lol. Screw Chandler anyways. I hope he plays like he did in CHA.

MackShock
12-10-2011, 02:25 AM
he probably thought NY was going to be a super team. If thats the case, then he's a sucker too...chris paul, dwight, lebron, bosh..everybody who couldnt do it on their own..

jordan and pippen is the exception because they never left their team