PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill on the verge of signing with Knicks

king4day
12-08-2011, 10:53 AM
The Knicks are on the verge of landing Grant Hill, according to two NBA sources.

Hill, the Suns free agent, deliberated for the past few days between making the jump to New York or staying with the Phoenix Suns, which are in rebuilding mode.

Hill is close to accepting the big challenge of the Big Apple.

Its not 100 percent done, but hes leaning, one source said.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_on_verge_of_acquiring_grant_Z4zAsnEzot25UPR WQR85SJ

If this is accurate, then I don't see Nash finishing the season as a Sun

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Would be huge for NY. All of a sudden they start to have some depth.

Melo, Amare, Billups, Fields, Hill, Douglas, Shumpert, Turiaf, JJ, Williams

that team could threaten in the east, especially if they can add a Foster or Brown.

If they miss out on CP3 they can go hard after Nash this summer and add him to that team without losing anyone except Billups. Again, as sexy as CP3 sounds, Nash might be the better choice.

thekmp211
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
great move for the knicks. he ain't a center, but hill can help defend all three wing positions. he and toney douglas should gobble up 2nd-string back courts.

sintaks12

that team could threaten in the east, especially if they can add a Foster or Brown.

If they miss out on CP3 they can go hard after Nash this summer and add him to that team without losing anyone except Billups. Again, as sexy as CP3 sounds, Nash might be the better choice.

Completely agree. I'd rather have CP3 for obvious reasons, but Nash will come WAY cheaper and I think he's got a few years left in the tank.

DoMeFavors

It wouldnt really be anything it would be an older Suns team from 2009, that team wouldnt win much.

allSUAVE
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
^this clown :laugh:

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 11:05 AM
It wouldnt really be anything it would be an older Suns team from 2009, that team wouldnt win much.

Suns didn't have anyone like Melo, and the suns were about to win the title before all those suspensions against the Spurs.

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Completely agree. I'd rather have CP3 for obvious reasons, but Nash will come WAY cheaper and I think he's got a few years left in the tank.

4 years ago I thought Nash was too old for NY to go after even in 2010. I never would have thought in 2012 he'd still be playing at an MVP level.

You see what Kidd is doing, Nash is two years younger.

Look CP3 is an amazing player, but no one can dispute that he's not the same player he was before the surgery. He has lost explosiveness since 2008 and his numbers across the board have gone down 2 straight years. You have to wonder how he'll be 2 or 3 years from now.

If NY goes the route of signing Hill, and Nash, and keeps Fields, Douglas, & Shumpert. I'm all for it.

JerseysFinest
This is a very, very good move by the Knicks. Adding a veteran presence, depth, and a great locker room guy to a team that is gradually moving towards trying to win it all.

waveycrockett
If Knicks have Nash, Amare and Melo on the court then who the hell is playing defense? They should just stick with Billups. I like him for that team. Not afraid to get guys to play defense.

csenoner
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
yeah, cuz we all know that suns team had melo. ahahha. clown indeed. lets also not forget the team he is saying wouldnt be very good almost went to the finals and perhaps would have it werent for the famous robert horry hip check etc.

people love to hate the knicks. its all good. theyll hate em more this year when they start dominating.

the knicks will be able to bring landry, douglas, shumpert off the bench.

billups, melo, hill starting? amazing back court depth. now we just need a big and were ready to rock.

TheNumber37
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
would love to see Hill in a Knicks uni

DoMeFavors
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Suns didn't have anyone like Melo, and the suns were about to win the title before all those suspensions against the Spurs.

Yeah in what 05? Suns still had players like Jason Richardson, Steve Nash, Barbosa. Knicks have no role players even close to that.
Melo has played with AI, Billups, Nene, Kmart, Jr Smith and got nowhere.

Brooklyn Mets
12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
jeffries
amare
melo
hill
billups

aside from jeffries this is a great starting lineup

and with fields douglas turiaf shump s.will harrelson off the bench

LTBaByyy
12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Cool

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 11:13 AM
If this is accurate, then I don't see Nash finishing the season as a SunIt'd be great if Nash would accept a buyout from his current contract to allow him to play for a contender while saving his owner some money...

:whistle:

Bornknick73
12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah in what 05? Suns still had players like Jason Richardson, Steve Nash, Barbosa. Knicks have no role players even close to that.

Listening to you again almost makes me wish the lockout was still going....ALMOST.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
but hill would eat knicks cap space...

ChicagoRox
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Grant Hill is a nice guy and great player. But how healthy will he stay if he is leaving the fountain of youth (the suns amazing training staff). But nice signing for the knicks none the less.

Captain Moroni
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
This would be a great move by the Knicks. Hill is just what this team needs. he would be that Glue type player Dantoni is always talking about.

king4day
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
It'd be great if Nash would accept a buyout from his current contract to allow him to play for a contender while saving his owner some money...

:whistle:

I know you aren't 100% serious but at this point, it might be better for the franchise to do it. Get a high pick in a strong draft.
But I think I'd rather trade him and get anything at this point for him.

That said, if we did buy him out this year, there's no doubt he'd go to Miami.

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM

:laugh:

I was waiting for you to chime in, surprised it took you two pages.

But no it would be a 1 year deal of course.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
jeffries will never start at center, we need a brown or foster type to get dirty down low by the way 1 of those moves is very possible

king4day
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
:laugh:

I was waiting for you to chime in, surprised it took you two pages.

But no it would be a 1 year deal of course.

I don't think he'd leave Phoenix without assurance of at least a 2 year deal. He'll come cheap though. Maybe the bi-exception.

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think he'd leave Phoenix without assurance of at least a 2 year deal. He'll come cheap though. Maybe the bi-exception.

Its def a 1 year deal, but it will probably be for the full MLE or close to it. NY has been offering 1 year MLE deals to everyone.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
i heard it's a 2 yr deal with the 2nd yr being a buy out knicks are still looking ahead for next yr free agency

tcav701
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Its def a 1 year deal, but it will probably be for the full MLE or close to it. NY has been offering 1 year MLE deals to everyone.

Except on a Center which is what they need. i dont fully understand these teams with wings that play big minutes using their MLE on backup wings....

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
i heard it's a 2 yr deal with the 2nd yr being a buy out knicks are still looking ahead for next yr free agency

where did u see that? but yea no way NY guarantees a 2 year deal.

mightybosstone
12-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I still don't see the Knicks competing for a championship, but this is a huge step in the right direction. If they could add Jeff Foster, like I've heard they're shooting for, then that starting five is a hell of a lot better than last year. However, over this shortened 66-game season, you have to wonder if guys in their 30s and injury prone players like Amare will hold up for the whole season and the playoffs.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Except on a Center which is what they need. i dont fully understand these teams with wings that play big minutes using their MLE on backup wings....

you still have to build a supporting cast what big man out there you can get on a 1 yr mle?

oak2455
12-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Listen when you get dwight guy you'll be happy again

CrasH-X
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Damn, awful news for the Suns ..

Not that Nash is like a Grandpa or anything, and he's probably a bigger goof than the rest of the team combined, but he's now 37 and playing on a team full of under-30's while his best friend on the team (Hill), former All-Star (Amar'e) and coach (D'Antoni) are all living life in the Big Apple, where his home is .

I can see him ending up in a trade for Billups, and we let him retire and basically start from absolute scratch with barely any assets to start off right ..

tcav701
you still have to build a supporting cast what big man out there you can get on a 1 yr mle?

As soon as the Heat got Battier, that Knicks had more money to offer Dalembert than miami did.

Untill now.

HOZ THE KNICK
where did u see that? but yea no way NY guarantees a 2 year deal.

wiretap, the knicks are smart because if they buy him out on the 2nd yr that just made his 1 yr deal even better that's what probaly made the knick his choice

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
As soon as the Heat got Battier, that Knicks had more money to offer Dalembert than miami did.

Untill now.

not true i heard the rockets are willing to go over the mle so it wasn't possible and the knicks understood that

sb123
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Healthy ... he is still better than Battier.

But a 39 year old 1 year rental??

Really, pisses me off we gave up the farm in the Melo trade even moreso then before.

sb123
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Healthy ... he is still better than Battier.

But a 39 year old 1 year rental??

Really, pisses me off we gave up the farm in the Melo trade even moreso then before.

Da Knicks
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Very good move if it happens!

the unknown
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Jeff Van Gundy was completely right about the melo trade... gonna take time to get a bench.. but either this year or next.. knicks should be able to contend for the east.. if they sign hill they are a center away i beleive

oak2455
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
good move aside from the Net troll, I like this:clap:

Rockice_8
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Nice move for the Knicks but it's most likely a 1 year deal (the CP3 plan is still in effect) and they still haven't addressed their most pressing needs rebounding and interior D. Hill will probably take up the full MLE for over the cap teams (3 mil or whatever it is) and the Knicks will then not be able to address that need.

This move does not make them contenders and until they address the interior, with someone other then a Turiaf or other minimum level scrub, they will never be serious contenders in my eyes. I still like CHI, MIA, and BOS better.

RLundi
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
4 years ago I thought Nash was too old for NY to go after even in 2010. I never would have thought in 2012 he'd still be playing at an MVP level.

You see what Kidd is doing, Nash is two years younger.

Look CP3 is an amazing player, but no one can dispute that he's not the same player he was before the surgery. He has lost explosiveness since 2008 and his numbers across the board have gone down 2 straight years. You have to wonder how he'll be 2 or 3 years from now.

If NY goes the route of signing Hill, and Nash, and keeps Fields, Douglas, & Shumpert. I'm all for it.

I agree with everything besides this. If CP3 was on his way to the Knicks, would you be saying this? It seems like you're trying to rationalize obtaining Nash by painting Paul in a negative light because you realize it is very unlikely he winds up in New York.

Steve Nash is still a top point guard, but Chris Paul is THE top point guard. In 2-3 years, you wonder where Paul will be? In 2-3 years, where will Nash be? Ineffective? Retired?

Nash would be a great addition to New York, but that's still very premature and either way, Chris Paul would be a much better fit.

sharqstealth
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Hill coming to NY, that would be awesome! Hope we can get this done. After that all thats left now is to get a serviceable center and we're ready to go!

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I agree with everything besides this. If CP3 was on his way to the Knicks, would you be saying this? It seems like you're trying to rationalize obtaining Nash by painting Paul in a negative light because you realize it is very unlikely he winds up in New York.

Steve Nash is still a top point guard, but Chris Paul is THE top point guard. In 2-3 years, you wonder where Paul will be? In 2-3 years, where will Nash be? Ineffective? Retired?

Nash would be a great addition to New York, but that's still very premature and either way, Chris Paul would be a much better fit.

Not at all, I've been saying this for quite a while. Check my previous posts last month. Obviously if CP3 comes here I'll be happy, but either way NY will be fine. CP3 is such a big name and such a great player that its hard not to excited, but at the end of the day if NY signs Nash & keeps the young guys and maybe a guy like Hill, they're probably be off.

And I'm not painting CP3 in a negative light at all, he's the best PG in the NBA, but the facts are facts, and I've been stating those facts for months if you check my posts.

Does that mean I wouldn't want CP on NY? Of course I would! but its not CP or bust.

KingPosey
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM
You guys think they start Hill over Fields? I mean I would, but Hill has come off the bench a few times, and he plays well in that roll also.

knicks=love
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM

http://cheezesammich0711.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/freeman-he-mad.jpg

we certainly would win more than your ugly-*** nets :laugh2:

you can't tell me that a lineup of billups/hill or fields/melo/amar'e/foster isn't a good lineup. that's a legit contender in the east with all of my homerism aside. hill brings a lot to the knicks that they need. don't be mad your team isn't as nice as the knicks. you're time will come.. but probably not. :D

oak2455
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
You guys think they start Hill over Fields? I mean I would, but Hill has come off the bench a few times, and he plays well in that roll also.

I would, let Fields learn from the Vet:eyebrow:

29$JerZ
12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
No offense to the poster Domefavors but you are no one to judge anything about the Knicks after your 360 opinion of Melo and your own teams possibilities with Farmar/Outlaw/Petro on the roster.

Cal827
12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, Nash will be pissed... I wonder who will step up their offer to get him. He has a very movable contract.

shep33
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Need a big now

numba1CHANGsta
12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Grant Hill is 39, Im sorry but he will have a down year and will retire this guy is done, he should have signed with the Lakers or Heat if he wanted a title

Hawkeye15
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Grant Hill is 39, Im sorry but he will have a down year and will retire this guy is done, he should have signed with the Lakers or Heat if he wanted a title

at 39, he doesn't have the wear and tear most would at that age, he missed a ton of time. Its a good signing. Hill is only an average offensive player at this point, but he was one of the top 5-6 wing defenders last year, and is the PERFECT guy for Fields to play with to help mold his career.

Punk
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
If Grant Hill signs then Nash will follow (if Paul doesn't become a Knick).

knicks=love
12-08-2011, 01:40 PM
If Grant Hill signs then Nash will follow (if Paul doesn't become a Knick).

I'd be ok with this

Carey
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
at 39, he doesn't have the wear and tear most would at that age, he missed a ton of time. Its a good signing. Hill is only an average offensive player at this point, but he was one of the top 5-6 wing defenders last year, and is the PERFECT guy for Fields to play with to help mold his career.

I agree completely

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Updating a previous item, Grant Hill has not made a decision on his free agency yet.
Hill's "short list" includes Phoenix, New York, Chicago and San Antonio. There is plenty of demand for the 39-year old, and every team except the Suns can offer him varying chances of finally winning a championship. There's no question Hill will have his choices as to where he lands next. Dec 8 - 10:34 AM
Source: Sam Amick on Twitter

Rotoworld.com

So no official decision yet.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Ummm they had Nash? As far as I'm concerned, 2009 Nash > 2011 Melo.

IAmARanger18
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
They should try and get Nash and get rid of Billups

5ass
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
ive seen hill defend small forwards and some power forwards really well, but im not sure how he does defending shooting guards, any1 know?
Also knicks finally getting some defense. Shumpert, Hill, and now they just need a better center. Honestly i say go for tyson chandler, forget CP3.

97NYer
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Billups/Shumpert/Douglas
Hill/Fields/Rautins
Anthony/Balkman/Williams
Stoudemire/JJ
Turiaf/Harrelson

One veteran center away from being a team with legitimate depth

Matrix3132
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
ive seen hill defend small forwards and some power forwards really well, but im not sure how he does defending shooting guards, any1 know?
Also knicks finally getting some defense. Shumpert, Hill, and now they just need a better center. Honestly i say go for tyson chandler, forget CP3.

His basketball iq makes up for lost athleticism, he's regularly guarded sg/sf/pf's quite well the last few years and has, at times done quite well against guys like kobe and even cp3.

king4day
12-08-2011, 02:29 PM

It would be a joke if Hill doesn't start. He's the best defender on NY and he's not on the team yet.

RevisIsland
12-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm liking this news.

VillaMaravilla
12-08-2011, 02:38 PM

hater

what54!?
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Good signing for the knicks. I know he'll fut Mike D's system and provide defense off the bench

colinskik
12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
You guys think Hill will be in the starting lineup? The way I see it, he could anchor the second team unit as a competent scorer. Remember the ineptitude the second team showed last year at times on offense?

meloman1592
12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Hill isn't coming to the Knicks!!! It was reported that he's nowhere close to a deal

king4day
12-08-2011, 03:14 PM

You don't go from being a defensive player of the year candidate one year to having nothing left the next.

Huntey
12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Um he hasn't signed yet guys... he hasnt even announced which way he's leaving. It's all just rumors at this point.

greg_ory_2005
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
He's still a solid player. Good signing for them.

mdm692
12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
So NY reporters say he is leaning towards knicks and PHX reporters say he is leaning towards suns.

Ty Fast
12-08-2011, 04:28 PM

hahahaha!!! thats so true. the new york suns.

metsfanssince05
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
If both Chandler and Hill rumors are true. Then we gooooooooood.