PDA

View Full Version : Major Update: Hornets believe Celtics offer could be the best they get

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Woj: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkeRnMd5Def5yyoYKXlcFTe8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_hornets_trade_offers_nba_12 0811
As the Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors appear unwilling to include their young stars in a trade for Chris Paul, the New Orleans Hornets were redoubling their research of Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo as a possible centerpiece of a blockbuster deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Hornets hadn’t had the most favorable impression of Rondo, clearly preferring packages with Curry and Gordon over him. As the Hornets realize teams are growing more hesitant to give up assets out of fear Paul will be simply a four-month rental, they’ve come to realize that Boston’s offer could be the best on the table.

It appears unlikely the Clippers and Warriors will change course on including Gordon and Curry in a deal. In fact, Clippers management reached out to Gordon in recent days with a personal assurance that he wouldn’t be included in any trade packages to New Orleans, a league source told Y! Sports.

Feel free to merge.

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I think KG, Pierce, Ray Allen, and the rest of the Celtics' legends could convince Paul to stay.

And once the Celtics have CP3, they'll move on to trying to get Dwight.

waveycrockett
12-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Cp3's people want him on the Knicks and they are no doubt telling him what we all are saying on this forum. Celtics core is old as hell.

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Cp3's people want him on the Knicks and they are no doubt telling him what we all are saying on this forum. Celtics core is old as hell.Yes, but they could still contend for the championship next season. Winning one championship, even for CP3, would be great.

bholly
12-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Not to mention they have a huge amount of expirings. If they picked up CP3 and just got vet guys like the last few years to fill out the roster, on one year contracts, they could have CP3 + Pierce + enough for a max and then some next summer. That's a pretty enticing situation, especially with someone like Dwight becoming a free agent. I can definitely see how they think they could convince him to stay.
If Danny Ainge pulls the trigger on Rondo for a CP3 rental he has to be the ballsiest exec in basketball.

HeaTxRipZz
12-08-2011, 07:41 AM
^ But why would Chris Paul sign a 3-4 year extension with a team such as the Celtics. No disrespect to the team because that's a great organization but KG, Pierce and Ray are all on the decline. Paul would find himself in a situation similar to NO as those guys get older and or retire

This season and next would be nice and I could see them making it to ECF but after that then what?

Mishmin
12-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Damn.

xnick5757
12-08-2011, 07:45 AM
^ But why would Chris Paul sign a 3-4 year extension with a team such as the Celtics. No disrespect to the team because that's a great organization but KG, Pierce and Ray are all on the decline. Paul would find himself in a situation similar to NO as those guys get older and or retire

This season and next would be nice and I could see them making it to ECF but after that then what?

the only way I could see paul staying is if they could lure howard in. they will have enough money to pay him a max deal.

unwantedplayer
12-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Because we have enough space to sign 2 max players in 2012.

Future is bright, people just don't realize it.

Mishmin
12-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Then all the celtics money comes off the books minus Cp3, and they can go after one or two other big free agents.

ldawg
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
If Howard is up for the cold Both him and Paul could be a Celtic that means as a free agent and that means Magic gets nada.

waveycrockett
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes, but they could still contend for the championship next season. Winning one championship, even for CP3, would be great.

It's far from a lock they win a championship. They still play in the same division as Bulls and Heat and problem with playing with old dudes like that is risk for injury. KG is basically their only legit big now and he goes down they are done. And then what happens after this season? He would be screwed for like the last 3 years of that deal.

ldawg
12-08-2011, 08:02 AM
good trade for Celtics It may land them Howard as well as an free agent it puts them in play. But bad for Hornets not sure why they would do that? Rhondo is no good without great players around and the last time i looked Horrets had none after Paul. They are better off going after Pau to play with Omeka up front and take La pg and sg rookies to go along with Ariza and Jack on the wing. Rhondo is an over rated player he will not win them games with the players they got they will suck big time. Celtics know this thats why they put him on the block many times already. Bad move Hornets.

Rhondo,Jack
Ariza
Green
??
Omeka

If they win 10 games thats alot.

Swashcuff
12-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I agree that the Celts offer may very well be the best they get.

sintaks12
12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again. If Ainge trades Rondo without a CP3 extension, he should be fired.

oak2455
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Ahhhhhh nobody knows how to merge threads....PS...nobody convinced LBJ and Bosh...so we shall see where Paul wants to play..

oak2455
12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Ohhhh and Dwight doesn't want the Celtics.....Soooo:confused:

BDoggaF
12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Ohhhh and Dwight doesn't want the Celtics.....Soooo:confused:

remember, garnett didnt want the celtics also, and look what happened with that..

Iron24th
12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again. If Ainge trades Rondo without a CP3 extension, he should be fired.

This.

oak2455
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
remember, garnett didnt want the celtics also, and look what happened with that..

Tell me when both or even one are there in 2012...ps I'm not starting anything but looks like Howard wants LA or NJ... And we all know where CP3 wants to go..

avrpatsfan
12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Tell me when both or even one are there in 2012...ps I'm not starting anything but looks like Howard wants LA or NJ... And we all know where CP3 wants to go..
While I think it's very unlikely that we somehow land both CP3 and Dwight... if we win a championship with CP3 (if the trade is completed) then it'll be hard for CP3 to leave. And if CP3 signs with us... it would be hard for Dwight to turn down coming to play with CP3 and Pierce. All Celtics fans can do is pray now haha

NYKnickFanatic
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
It's far from a lock they win a championship. They still play in the same division as Bulls and Heat and problem with playing with old dudes like that is risk for injury. KG is basically their only legit big now and he goes down they are done. And then what happens after this season? He would be screwed for like the last 3 years of that deal.

Oh really? The Celtics play in the same division as Chicago and Miami? :laugh2:

hugepatsfan
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I would like this as a BOS fan. I currently see BOS after this season as destined for mediocrity - too good to suck and get top picks but not good enough to win a title. This allows us to totally rebuild for the future (meaning suck for a few seasons but accumulate picks/assets) and gives us a legitimate shot at one last title.

Although to be honest I was starting to think the best case scenario would be to have GS trade for CP3 and then try to deal Rondo to LAC for Kaman's expiring and 1-2 picks/young players.

waveycrockett
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh really? The Celtics play in the same division as Chicago and Miami? :laugh2:

Conference, whatever. Point is they gotta go through them for a chip. Def no cake walk

jeter4president
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
good trade for Celtics It may land them Howard as well as an free agent it puts them in play. But bad for Hornets not sure why they would do that? Rhondo is no good without great players around and the last time i looked Horrets had none after Paul. They are better off going after Pau to play with Omeka up front and take La pg and sg rookies to go along with Ariza and Jack on the wing. Rhondo is an over rated player he will not win them games with the players they got they will suck big time. Celtics know this thats why they put him on the block many times already. Bad move Hornets.

Rhondo,Jack
Ariza
Green
??
Omeka

If they win 10 games thats alot.

the point in this draft is to finish as poorly as possible and try to get davis or barnes. this helps.

lvlheaded
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I actually hope Boston trades for him. That way if he leaves for the Knicks in the offseason, all they did was give up Rondo, Green, and a couple of firsts for a rental. My guess is Ainge feels this is his last shot at a title and that CP3 gives him the best chance at it.

THE_G.O.A.T.
12-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry to break it to all the big market east coast teams but CP3 and Dwight Howard aren't getting traded until the deadline in the middle of the season. So we should probably quit making all these silly threads...right?

BDoggaF
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I am completely in agreement with you (I think we will get CP3 tho). I am just stating that everyone is saying dwight and cp3 dont want the celtics this and that.. when garnett was saying almost the exact same thing before he was traded to the celtics.. and now he is a die hard celtic..

Dwight I dont think will happen, however CP3 I do.. I think they can resign him as well, IF they give him some, dont want to say power, but some say in big name FA signings (because most of their $$ will be off the books as of next year).

Swashcuff
12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

While I agree to an extent this brings up an interesting question.

Which would you rather a single championship and mediocrity for the next 5+ years or being in playoff contention but never winning for the next 5+ years?

Now obviously trading for Paul doesn't mean that the Celts automatically win a title nor does it mean that keeping Rondo would ensure that they are contenders but the question does apply to some degree.

Kobe4Life
12-08-2011, 10:22 AM
WOW this is a steal for the Hornets and Paul will end up in NY after a year where he wants to be. Why you would give up Rajon Rondo who is a beast of a pure pg and Jeff Green (Starter on Many Teams) + 2 first rounders (Upcoming Loaded Draft) for a RENTAL. Geez boston must be desperate. Even with Paul their a .600 team maybe. Then when CP3 leaves after one season and the 3 oldies retire = rebuilding once again for Celtics.

29$JerZ
12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I could see NO doing this since they can't seem to pry Curry/Gordon however I don't see what Boston could do to surround pieces with Paul. Allen/KG/Pierce is only going to be effective for so long. I don't see Dwight going there regardless of Paul there or not.
Real risky by Boston.

nycericanguy
12-08-2011, 10:30 AM
If BOS trades for CP3, then you know the Lakers are going to go all in on Howard. If & when Howard is traded to LAL or NJ, I don't see him then turning around to go to BOS. I think he would only consider that if he plays out the season in ORL.

LongIslandIcedZ
12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Does this mean GS took their offer off the table?

DodgerBlue22
12-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Ainge is a lot smarter than all of us computer GM's!! He's got faith the Big 3 along with Doc and the fact they can give both him and Howard a max deal and sign other GOOD vets to go around them is enough to convince Paul to stay. Just like KG when the fans and people of Boston embrace him he will love the place. The Cs aren't winning it this year with Rondo and he isn't a big enough star to attract the big FA's of 2012. Also he's a biotch!! Has attitude problems, pouted last year when the Perk trade went down and cost the Cs a 1 or 2 seed. I'm a Cs fan and I'm all for it!!

IBleed_Green420
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
How much do you think KG and Allen will command after there contracts are up. If we could atleast keep KG for cheap next year, sign howard, aquire paul this year we would have a good chance of resigning Paul (if we get him).

'12-'13 Roster

Paul
Pierce (SG/SF)
SF - ?
Garnett
Howard

That should be convincing enough to keep Paul around..

thekmp211
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry to break it to all the big market east coast teams but CP3 and Dwight Howard aren't getting traded until the deadline in the middle of the season. So we should probably quit making all these silly threads...right?

sorry chris broussard i didn't know the news had been broken.

in all reality, i don't have a great feeling about this as a celts fan. i get the problem with rondo, and have no interest in green, but for a rebuilding team that has precious few assets, this is an all-or-nothing move.

i agree that CP3 could definitely be swooned by Ainge, Rivers, Pierce ect. Obviously Boston would emerge as a top destination for D12. Folks saying he has no interest now...don't know how he'd feel about a team with the leagues best pg and a ton of cap room. nothing is set in stone as far as where these guys will end up, despite what they might be indicating as their preference at the moment.

UPRock
12-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Indeed, Celtic's core is old as hell but with Paul they can contend NOW, and I don't see the Knicks contending NOW without good role players.

balla4life22
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
ainge is a lot smarter than all of us computer gm's!! He's got faith the big 3 along with doc and the fact they can give both him and howard a max deal and sign other good vets to go around them is enough to convince paul to stay. Just like kg when the fans and people of boston embrace him he will love the place. The cs aren't winning it this year with rondo and he isn't a big enough star to attract the big fa's of 2012. Also he's a biotch!! Has attitude problems, pouted last year when the perk trade went down and cost the cs a 1 or 2 seed. I'm a cs fan and i'm all for it!!

exactly! Thank you!

todu82
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, unless CP3 agrees to an extension with Boston, they shouldn't trade for him. From what I've been reading Paul does not want to sign long-term with Boston.

Quietmoney
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
But like a poster mentioned above, if the Celtics get Cp3 then L.A. will go all out for Dwight and once they get Dwight they'll have his bird rights and be able to give him a max contract in L.A. if he resigns with them. No way I see him leaving more money in L.A. to go play with Boston for less money. That's why Boston needs to just fall back and not try and force Cp3 into dealing with them. I for one don't want any player that has no interest in my team. And i sure as hell don't wanna give away pieces to my team without knowing if you wanna deal with me or not.

Celticsfan2007
12-08-2011, 12:35 PM

U got inside info bro?

C-Style
12-08-2011, 12:44 PM
If a 1 yr rental is the case then Lakers should get involved only if the Celtics would be interested in Gasol+Metta for a few last runs. & send Paul to the Lakers & Rondo + Green to Hornets.

Gasol can play center and give 20-10 & Metta can still score 20 if needed.

spreadeagle
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
lol @ "major update" not quite

nate2usmc
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Honestly, I think this is to get Rondo to play with fire again instead of pouting. Whether he's in Boston or NO, Rondo will have a good season..hopefully.

tcav701
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
If I'm NO, I take the best offer and I take it now.

Who cares whether or not an extension is worked out, take the best deal and start the season without the distraction of .500 ball untill the deadline.

Hellcrooner
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
please can it already be tomorrow and the damm paul and the damm howard be traded for gods sake?

Celticsfan2007
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
If a 1 yr rental is the case then Lakers should get involved only if the Celtics would be interested in Gasol+Metta for a few last runs. & send Paul to the Lakers & Rondo + Green to Hornets.

Gasol can play center and give 20-10 & Metta can still score 20 if needed.

Ew. The Celtics and Lakers would never make a deal, especially one that land LA a superstar.

If the Lakers want CP3 go get him...

nate2usmc
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
If I'm NO, I take the best offer and I take it now.

Who cares whether or not an extension is worked out, take the best deal and start the season without the distraction of .500 ball untill the deadline.

This.

Win-Win situation for both BOS and NO. :sigh:

nate2usmc
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
please can it already be tomorrow and the damm paul and the damm howard be traded for gods sake?

Definitely tired of this. If CP3 goes to BOS or GS, the Knicks are STILL gonna be in the midst of this mess THE WHOLE FRIKKIN YEAR:pity:

29$JerZ
12-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Truth be told
Until Paul/Dwight signs an extension or gets traded before the season you will hear nonstop Knick/Net/Laker talk regardless of records or transactions.

Corey
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Wrong

RevisIsland
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Honestly, am I crazy for thinking the Celtics could get Dwight and CP3? Here me out. Next year, the only contracts they're committed to are Pierce and Rondo (and Rondo's gone in the trade). Let's say they make the CP3 trade. They could definitely fit Dwight under the cap with CP3 and Pierce. Now if they wanted to go heartless they could amnesty Pierce, completely rebuild around Paul and Howard and just move on, but I doubt they do that. I don't know if this'll happen, all I'm saying is that it's a possibility, and it's the only reasonable chance for those two to play together, and it'd be for a major team. All I'm saying is I think it's possible.

Wade>You
12-08-2011, 05:06 PM
@WojYahooNBA
Hornets cooling on idea of Boston needing involvement of 3rd team, considering package of Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green and picks for Chris Paul.Celtics and Hornets closing in on a deal.

Wes_Craven
12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Honestly, am I crazy for thinking the Celtics could get Dwight and CP3? Here me out. Next year, the only contracts they're committed to are Pierce and Rondo (and Rondo's gone in the trade). Let's say they make the CP3 trade. They could definitely fit Dwight under the cap with CP3 and Pierce. Now if they wanted to go heartless they could amnesty Pierce, completely rebuild around Paul and Howard and just move on, but I doubt they do that. I don't know if this'll happen, all I'm saying is that it's a possibility, and it's the only reasonable chance for those two to play together, and it'd be for a major team. All I'm saying is I think it's possible.

I LOL'D at that part:D

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-08-2011, 05:14 PM
@WojYahooNBACeltics and Hornets closing in on a deal.

Lakers and Hornets and Rockets closing in on a deal. Sorry Celtics. :D

NE Sportsfan
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Get em Celts, screw the lakers

Ripper Gein
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Get em Celts, screw the lakers

celtic fans as usual, insufferable...:D

John Walls Era
12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Forum police here: theres already a sticky.

Joking aside, this would be interesting as I always been a believer that Rondo can be an allstar without the big 3. Guess we will see if thats true.

NE Sportsfan
12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
celtic fans as usual, insufferable...:D

Great, I knew you'd stalk me now.

dtmagnet
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Forum police here: theres already a sticky.

Joking aside, this would be interesting as I always been a believer that Rondo can be an allstar without the big 3. Guess we will see if thats true.

People also seem to forget that Jeff Green is a very promising player as well, he never got a chance to shine in OKC or Boston but this move could be just what he needs.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
Lakers and Hornets and Rockets closing in on a deal. Sorry Celtics. :D

The best NBA insider or a sports forum poster? I'll take the first one's report more serious.

xnick5757
i would just like to point out that paul will not sign an extension with ANYONE this year because financially, it just doesn't make sense. He can make a lot more money signing with whatever team acquires him after the season than he can right now.