PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Willing To Deal Ellis For Paul Without Extension Promise

zaescc408
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
According to sources, the Hornets expressed interest in trading Chris Paul to the Warriors and they engaged in talks. There hasn't been an expectation of anything getting done from Golden State's perspective because of the understanding that Paul wouldn't sign off on an extension.

But there is a circumstance in which the Warriors would be willing to trade for Paul as a rental and that would be if Monta Ellis went to New Orleans in return.

Retaining Curry would allow the Warriors to preserve their best trade chip and he could also possibly play shooting guard beside Paul.

Trading Curry and Tyson Chandler to the Magic for Dwight Howard could be a possibility at a later date.

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/217103/Warriors_Willing_To_Deal_Ellis_For_Paul_Without_Ex tension_Promise#ixzz1fu8XqLhz Looks like They rather keep Curry and let Ellis go.I still cant see Cp3 playing point with curry at shooting guard.

Monta is beast
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Hornets will not trade Paul for Ellis.

MackShock
12-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I's do this..if we can sign Chandler..he and Paul will tear it up, Curry will launch from downtown..well get to the playoffs..and depending on if Chandler convinces him, and how deep we go into the playoffs, we have a chance at retaining Paul.

MackShock
12-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Golden State, according to multiple sources, is not interested in trading point guard Stephen Curry to New Orleans for Chris Paul since the team would have no assurance that the star point guard would sign with the Warriors long term.

But if the Hornets are willing to take guard Monta Ellis instead, that's a different story.
Team sources confirmed the Warriors are trying to get New Orleans to take Ellis plus other pieces instead of Curry. ESPN.com reported that talks between the Hornets and Warriors had "cooled" because of the Warriors' refusal to put Curry in the deal.

"Sigh of relief," Curry said jokingly after working out with some teammates Wednesday.

"I talked to Larry (Riley), I talked to Coach (Mark) Jackson about it," Curry added. "They told me I'm safe and secure here with the Warriors. They want me here. Obviously, it's the business of basketball. There are things that may happen where a GM has to make a decision for the best interest of the team. When you have a guy like Chris Paul who's a franchise player ... I understand that. I'm not going to be upset if they entertain it. Nice to be in a conversation with a guy like that."

This paper reported earlier in the week that the Hornets had expressed interest in acquiring Curry in exchange for Paul, arguably one of the five best players in the NBA. Paul is expected to opt out of his contract at the end of the season, so New Orleans is shopping him to get what it can for their franchise player.

One Warriors source said the team's involvement was always a calculated reach and the Warriors never expected anything would get done. That's largely because Paul, rumored to have interest in playing for New York, wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the
Warriors. According to Yahoo! Sports, Paul would consider signing with the Warriors if they landed big man Tyson Chandler, who played with Paul in New Orleans. But the most assurance the Warriors could get from Paul is his word -- too big of a risk at too steep a cost, both team sources said. But Golden State might be willing to take that risk if it means giving up Ellis.

That's because Curry has the most value among the Warriors assets, and that value is better spent on something guaranteed. What's more, the acquisition of Paul would leave the Warriors with resources to add more since sending Ellis would save the Warriors nearly $6 million in cap space.

Plus, it would keep the Warriors' best trade chip in tow for future possibilities. (For example, when the trade deadline rolls around and Orlando is looking to trade center Dwight Howard, the Warriors could offer Curry and Chandler).

All but one of the Warriors from the current roster is in town -- including Ellis and center Andris Biedrins, who both kept a low profile during the lockout. Ellis only stopped by to chat with his teammates, and Biedrins worked out early in the morning, so neither was there for Wednesday's workout session at the team's practice facility.

Still, the Warriors had enough to play four-on-four. Guard Charlie Bell is expected to join the team Thursday.

The Warriors announced Wednesday they will hold an open-to-the-public practice at Oracle Arena on Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. Parking and admission will be free.

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_19492287

Bayareaboy
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_19492287

I'm sorry but I'd much rather trade curry then Ellis in this area. One I don't see curry as a 2 and two Howard wants to Play with Paul and Ellis. So wouldn't it raise the stakes to keep Ellis if it means giving up curry to get Paul. Then like in the article u trade chandler and someone for howard.
Paul/Jenkins
Ellis/? Cuz Thompson would go to hornets
Wright/? Sign Thornton cheap
Lee/Amundson
Howard/Tyler/Amundson

Of anything I would try to keep Thompson and put Williams in a sign n trade part of the deal with curry. SO curry Williams and udoh for Paul. We amnesty beans. Sign chandler. At the trade deadline. Do chandler, lee Tyler, maybe Thornton and get Howard. Then sign some vets to fill bench

likemystylez
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
steph curry is not a shooting guard, he would be even worse than ellis defensively. This has to be a smoke screen.

Wasnt it already stated that the warriors made a formal offer for paul that was centered around curry?

BrandoCommando
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree, Curry is not a SG

killaT
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Um, this isn't college. Curry is not a SG in the NBA.

Monta is the next Allen Iverson. I would much rather have his explosiveness playing in the backcourt with Chris Paul, who can create his own shot and give us instant offense. Paul and Curry in the backcourt looks more awkward than Paul and Monta IMO.

The Warriors need to do whatever it takes to aquire Chris Paul without dealing Monta. They need to sign Tyson first because Chandler on this team looks tempting for Chris Paul, and maybe he will sign that extension. If that means trading Curry, I am all for it.

CP3
Monta
D. Wright
Lee
Chandler

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 12:14 AM
What are u guys talking about? That would be the steal of the century if we could get CP3 for Monta. Then turn around and amnesty Beans, sign chandler, then turn around and trade chandler to Orlando with curry for D12. I think Dwight would be pretty happy to play with Cp3 and David Lee. Could still use our MLE on a guy like Jrich or another SG. Having Dwight Howard and Cp3 on the team along with Lee would make them both want to stay with us and sign extensions. Obviously this is a pipe dream cause i cant see the Hornets taking anything but Curry. But hell, if they do? Jackpot

moshy2
12-08-2011, 12:34 AM
So say our(or at least some people's) pipe dreams happen and Hornets take Ellis+ for Paul, we sign Chandler, and we trade Curry and Chandler to Magic for Howard later in the season. What would be the chances both resign with us instead of choosing a destination that they think is better, say NY or LA or wherever they want to play through free agency?? People were talking about if we traded Curry and Paul didn't resign it would cripple us, but trading Monta and Steph and getting no extensions would cripple us even more.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
So say our(or at least some people's) pipe dreams happen and Hornets take Ellis+ for Paul, we sign Chandler, and we trade Curry and Chandler to Magic for Howard later in the season. What would be the chances both resign with us instead of choosing a destination that they think is better, say NY or LA or wherever they want to play through free agency?? People were talking about if we traded Curry and Paul didn't resign it would cripple us, but trading Monta and Steph and getting no extensions would cripple us even more.

Obviously if they both walk we are ****ed. But our chances of keeping them go up 10 fold with both of them on the roster. Also, if we get deep into the playoffs they will be even more likely to stay.

moshy2
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Obviously if they both walk we are ****ed. But our chances of keeping them go up 10 fold with both of them on the roster. Also, if we get deep into the playoffs they will be even more likely to stay.

Definitely. But Im saying if we get both and they both go to free agency, why would they decide to team up in Golden State when they would have a chance to team up anywhere else in the NBA? If I was the Knicks I would trade Amare in a heart beat for a chance to sign both and the Lakers could probably free up some cap to team them 2 up with Kobe. Why would they choose us over NY or LA? Of course I can think of a million reasons why, but all Paul and Howard would probably see is LA and NY and already have their minds made up.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Definitely. But Im saying if we get both and they both go to free agency, why would they decide to team up in Golden State when they would have a chance to team up anywhere else in the NBA? If I was the Knicks I would trade Amare in a heart beat for a chance to sign both and the Lakers could probably free up some cap to team them 2 up with Kobe. Why would they choose us over NY or LA? Of course I can think of a million reasons why, but all Paul and Howard would probably see is LA and NY and already have their minds made up.

Dude thats not how it works. Its not baseball where u can just trade away players to free up the cap space. Teams would have to do all that this season in order to set up their caps for nest year. They cant go "anywhere" because there isnt that many teams that will have the cap room for 2 max contracts. Also, Golden State is an underrated market only due to poor teams and therefor no coverage. We are a large market just waiting for a winner. If they win here, doesnt have to be a championship, but deep into the playoffs and are already on the same roster and will receive TRUE max contracts because only the team they are on can offer the true max deal, the Warriors.

Bayareaboy
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM

Let's say we keep Ellis then it's me realistic they both stay because Howard has said he wants to play with Paul and Ellis. This is very possible and it's possible for the warriors. Howard isn't going to leave if Paul and Ellis are here. And Paul wants to be with Howard. It's a win win if we can get this trade to work.
Paul
Ellis
Wright
Lee or Amundson
Howard

likemystylez
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Um, this isn't college. Curry is not a SG in the NBA.

Monta is the next Allen Iverson. I would much rather have his explosiveness playing in the backcourt with Chris Paul, who can create his own shot and give us instant offense. Paul and Curry in the backcourt looks more awkward than Paul and Monta IMO.

The Warriors need to do whatever it takes to aquire Chris Paul without dealing Monta. They need to sign Tyson first because Chandler on this team looks tempting for Chris Paul, and maybe he will sign that extension. If that means trading Curry, I am all for it.

CP3
Monta
D. Wright
Lee
Chandler

its a scary deal to make, and its not a no brainer. Walking away from the chance to get chris paul is scary though. If we offer monta ellis... new orleans just hangs up the phone. The only reason they are talking to the warriors is because of steph curry.

when you are the team trading the best player in the deal, you should be the one picking and choosing from the other teams roster, not vise versa.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 01:11 AM
its a scary deal to make, and its not a no brainer. Walking away from the chance to get chris paul is scary though. If we offer monta ellis... new orleans just hangs up the phone. The only reason they are talking to the warriors is because of steph curry.

when you are the team trading the best player in the deal, you should be the one picking and choosing from the other teams roster, not vise versa.

Not in this instance. They HAVE to trade him and there arent many options out there. They arent in the drivers seat.

Kdirt
12-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Let's say we keep Ellis then it's me realistic they both stay because Howard has said he wants to play with Paul and Ellis. This is very possible and it's possible for the warriors. Howard isn't going to leave if Paul and Ellis are here. And Paul wants to be with Howard. It's a win win if we can get this trade to work.
Paul
Ellis
Wright
Lee or Amundson
Howard

And just how in the world are we going to get Howard and Paul with just Curry? Try again if you think Chandler and fillers pull Dwight.

Jrod2173
12-08-2011, 01:25 AM
And just how in the world are we going to get Howard and Paul with just Curry? Try again if you think Chandler and fillers pull Dwight.

x2

moshy2
12-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Dude thats not how it works. Its not baseball where u can just trade away players to free up the cap space. Teams would have to do all that this season in order to set up their caps for nest year. They cant go "anywhere" because there isnt that many teams that will have the cap room for 2 max contracts. Also, Golden State is an underrated market only due to poor teams and therefor no coverage. We are a large market just waiting for a winner. If they win here, doesnt have to be a championship, but deep into the playoffs and are already on the same roster and will receive TRUE max contracts because only the team they are on can offer the true max deal, the Warriors.

Sorry, I exaggerated with the anywhere. I know that only a select few teams could afford them, but I think the point still stands with NY and LA. Also, I know Golden State is a very underrated market. We are the 6th best market in the U.S, but I doubt Paul or Howard knows that.

The chances of this is probably no better then a pipe dream just cause Hornets would take other offers before taking one with Ellis, so I guess it's kinda pointless to talk about it at this point.

MackShock
12-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Damn...why cant NO just take Monta..at this point he's the better player than Curry. But I know for sure Monta has hit his ceiling, this is the Monta you get. Curry on the other hand, still has plenty of upside and potential, so there's more to come for him.

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Curry at SG with Paul would be great but I doubt the Hornets take Ellis. We should probably look elsewhere at this point.

Monta is Beast posted exactly what I think we should do. Trade Monta and Wright for Gay, sign Chandler, sign Afflalo.

Curry/Jenkins/Lin
Afflalo/Thompson
Gay/Reggie
Lee/Udoh
Chandler/Amundson/Tyler

likemystylez
12-08-2011, 03:09 AM
Damn...why cant NO just take Monta..at this point he's the better player than Curry. But I know for sure Monta has hit his ceiling, this is the Monta you get. Curry on the other hand, still has plenty of upside and potential, so there's more to come for him.

well except hes kinda gotten better his last 2 seasons. I wouldnt say he has blown up, but he has become a better 4th quarter player, his shot has improved a little bit, and his decisions have gotten a little bit better.

Bayareaboy
12-08-2011, 03:28 AM

Haha no I'm saying curry for Paul plus fillers. When it comes to D12 that's a different story I'm saying he wants to play with Ellis and Paul. Well lucky him there on the same team. So if he leaves via FA then more then likely he comes to us and will have to do a sign n trade deal. That's where chandler lee and fillers come in. And if u think that Howard wouldn't go where the 2 guys he wants to be teammates with are that's crazy cuz that's what happened in NY and MIAMI. So even though Orlando wouldn't like the trade they have to deal with it or they get nothing. Lacob has said that he wants Howard on this team he didn't say how or when he would do it but he did say he wanted him here. Landing Paul and keeping Ellis can play in our favor.

Also someone said Ellis has hit his peak. I'm sorry but no he hasn't. Every year he adds something to his game. EVERY YEAR. So y would t he this year who knows maybe his defense becomes really good and he really starts turning heads.

lmeas11
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
well except hes kinda gotten better his last 2 seasons. I wouldnt say he has blown up, but he has become a better 4th quarter player, his shot has improved a little bit, and his decisions have gotten a little bit better.

I agree.

mavwar53
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Curry at SG with Paul would be great but I doubt the Hornets take Ellis. We should probably look elsewhere at this point.

Monta is Beast posted exactly what I think we should do. Trade Monta and Wright for Gay, sign Chandler, sign Afflalo.

Curry/Jenkins/Lin
Afflalo/Thompson
Gay/Reggie
Lee/Udoh
Chandler/Amundson/Tyler

IMO that is not a very good lineup, who's the star, chandler and afflalo are defensive players only, who is going to create? Gay is not a creator, steph can create but he's slow for a PG and cannot always get open nor handle the pressure all the time. As much as I love steph, Monta is the one that bails us out and creates the most. I really don't see Gay as a huge upgrade over Wright, yes he's more athletic but that is about it IMO.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Seriously, nothing is going to happen with CP3. Lacob just wants to stick his chest out, and show the league that the Warriors are not a lame duck franchise.

I would be happy with the current squad + Chandler.

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Curry would finally be able to take over and "create". I honestly think he would blossom.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I think Curry is going to have a break out year.

BKLYNpigeon
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Curry will make the Allstar game before Ellis

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 01:12 PM
We are not getting Paul if Curry is still on the Warriors. There is nothing else to it.

Monta is beast
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
IMO that is not a very good lineup, who's the star, chandler and afflalo are defensive players only, who is going to create? Gay is not a creator, steph can create but he's slow for a PG and cannot always get open nor handle the pressure all the time. As much as I love steph, Monta is the one that bails us out and creates the most. I really don't see Gay as a huge upgrade over Wright, yes he's more athletic but that is about it IMO.

Curry can create, and Gay can take over games, much like the way Ellis can. Curry was asked a question about possibly playing with Gay, and he was ecstatic about the possibility. That team has some serious potential.

Lloyd Christmas
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Exactly

MackShock
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
ellis deserves an all star bid