PDA

View Full Version : Should role players be entitled to more $/respect for winning?

Chronz
12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
When it comes to measuring greatness winning undoubtedly plays a role, but is it overstated when it comes to role players?

Let me give you an example,

Player X lands on a championship caliber team, the team wins the title but fails to repeat the following year when he hits Free Agency. As a result hes forced to sign for pittance on another championship caliber team. Again his team wins the title, only this time he hits FA on that upswing and commands the full MLE.

Do you think its right that the same exact player is suddenly worth much more because of his teams success?

I see a similar situation happening with Tyson Chandler now, I felt the same whenever I heard Laker fans describe Derek Fisher as necessary part of team instead of a liability, (only now are they against him, again because of his teams success.)

PS Yes the example was real, props if you can figure out who he is.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Of course they are not worth more than anyone that puts out their similar production. I get that fact that those who disagree say they did it when it mattered more, but your overall play is what should be evaluated monetarily.

Wade>You
12-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Should role players be entitled to more $/respect for winning?If his team is winning and said role player was a part of that success, sure.

Do you think its right that the same exact player is suddenly worth more much more because of his teams success?His value and worth to the team appreciates. Doesn't mean he can't be replaced, but the next person in line that does the same thing will also deserve that same increase in respect/pay.

D1JM
12-06-2011, 02:08 AM
james posey?

i still dont know why the lakers gave fisher that deal.

Bruno
12-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm not sure in regards to answering the question- which is a good one. But I think it should be called the Robert Horry clause.

I'd lean yes, even if only in the hundreds of thousands and not millions. success should be rewarded. I do think it would depend on minutes and production. You'd have to determine it by setting some kind of standard within the context of winning.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-06-2011, 02:17 AM
A great example is DeShawn Stevenson. A "scrub throw in" in the Butler/Haywood trade and he ended up being the most valuable piece. He locked down LeBron and Wade when he guarded them and hit a whole lot of much needed three pointers against the "best defense" in the NBA. He is also a very tough player who doesn't back down from any player. I hope he is back with us but with Terry, Roddy and now Fernandez, he wouldn't play a whole lot. Great role player to have on a contending team.

Korman12
12-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Players garner discernible value in a system that only they can at their peak efficiency, i.e.; Chandler, Fisher, Stevenson, Perkins, Poser, Powe, etc.

It's up to organizations to recognize whether that player is creating his value because of the system around him, or that his talent is transferable.

D1JM
12-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Players garner discernible value in a system that only they can at their peak efficiency, i.e.; Chandler, Fisher, Stevenson, Perkins, Poser, Powe, etc.

It's up to organizations to recognize whether that player is creating his value because of the system around him, or that his talent is transferable.

True that. However, almost all those players you mentioned shouldn't get nothing close to the mle

GunFactor187
12-06-2011, 02:44 AM
-nevermind-

Corey
12-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Sounds a lot like James Posey...Before he sucked.

Sactown
12-06-2011, 02:58 AM
IMO, players should receive a bonus for winning a championship

Ovratd1up
12-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Ariza is another example of this.

Raph12
12-06-2011, 03:09 AM
No, those guys are only that good in certain situations... Ie: Tyson was great in Dallas, but he'd be less than mediocre if he were traded for Dwight and made the #1 option on a team; but if he signed with the Knicks, he could really tie things together for them.

It's situational, but team success doesn't make them better players, contrary to popular belief on PSD.

Chronz
12-07-2011, 01:24 AM
If his team is winning and said role player was a part of that success, sure.

His value and worth to the team appreciates. Doesn't mean he can't be replaced, but the next person in line that does the same thing will also deserve that same increase in respect/pay.

Can YOU think of the player in question?

Kevj77
12-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Role players are worth more to championship caliber teams than rebuilding teams. If your team isn't close to contending would you want them to pay someone like Horry, Posey, or Bowen the full MLE? I wouldn't, yeah they can sometimes turn the team success into a bigger payday someplace else.

D1JM
12-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Can YOU think of the player in question?

who is it? because as soon as i read it, i thought james posey.

Kevj77
12-07-2011, 01:52 AM
who is it? because as soon as i read it, i thought james posey.It has to be Posey.

OA SLAY
12-07-2011, 01:55 AM
A great example is DeShawn Stevenson. A "scrub throw in" in the Butler/Haywood trade and he ended up being the most valuable piece. He locked down LeBron and Wade when he guarded them and hit a whole lot of much needed three pointers against the "best defense" in the NBA. He is also a very tough player who doesn't back down from any player. I hope he is back with us but with Terry, Roddy and now Fernandez, he wouldn't play a whole lot. Great role player to have on a contending team.

Re-sign Tyson Chandler [ ]?
Re-sign J.J. Barea [ ]?
Re-sign DeShawn Stevenson [ ]?
Re-sign Peja Stojokavic [ ]?
Sign Grant Hill [ ] ?
Its a good thing ur not in charge.

D1JM
12-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Re-sign Tyson Chandler [ ]?
Re-sign J.J. Barea [ ]?
Re-sign DeShawn Stevenson [ ]?
Re-sign Peja Stojokavic [ ]?
Sign Grant Hill [ ] ?
Its a good thing ur not in charge.

stevenson raised up his price with what he did in the playoffs.

Chronz
12-07-2011, 02:35 AM
who is it? because as soon as i read it, i thought james posey.

Well done, we both wish I was a millionaire so I can properly reward you.

Chronz
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Role players are worth more to championship caliber teams than rebuilding teams. If your team isn't close to contending would you want them to pay someone like Horry, Posey, or Bowen the full MLE? I wouldn't, yeah they can sometimes turn the team success into a bigger payday someplace else.
Yea, thats something Im probably underestimating. The Heat had no reason to bring Posey back but I dont think that makes the difference in being MLE worthy to vet min worthy.