PDA

View Full Version : Should The Knicks Amnesty Billups?

JasonJohnHorn
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
There is a lot of talk about next year's free agent market, which will likely include D-Will, and also perhaps Dwight Howard and CP3, and we all know the Knicks will have the Billups contract coming off next season's books. But why wait? There is a quality big on the market now: Tyson Chandler! NY could amnesty Billups and make a splach on the free agency market this season. We all know they dont have much to leverage for trade bait this season, so why not upgrade now. Sure, they'd be left in need of a PG, but there are a lot of great PGs out there, and a few will be out because of the amnesty clause, which could be easy pickings for NY if they had Tyson Chandler filling out a front court that also feature Amare and Melo. Baron Davis. Gilbert Arenas. And there are a few free agent PGs who might be willing to sign for less to play in NY.

Thoughts?

NYtilIdie
12-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Do you honestly think Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas are going to make us a better team than Billiups? Billiups is a better leader and mentor than both of those two has-beens, also we're not getting Deron Williams, I don't know where people are getting that from.

Chronz
12-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Do you honestly think Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas are going to make us a better team than Billiups? Billiups is a better leader and mentor than both of those two has-beens, also we're not getting Deron Williams, I don't know where people are getting that from.

Hes saying BD/GA + Chandler > Billups

Which I disagree with but is plausible

llemon
12-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Hes saying BD/GA + Chandler > Billups

Which I disagree with but is plausible

And should kill chances at Dwight, plus uses up Knicks amnesty option

bholly
12-06-2011, 01:49 AM
And should kill chances at Dwight, plus uses up Knicks amnesty option

Whose chances of Dwight? The Knicks!?

jimm120
12-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Dwill next season?

but to answer your main question, NO.

They COULD HAVE dropped him in June with that 3 million buy out instead of paying him these 15 million or so.

So, you're saying they opt to keep him and make Dolan pay $15 million (even though he's not in the salary cap for the team) than just pay the man $3 million in june and not have him in the salary cap?

They obviously chose to keep him for a reason.

-They need him to be the third cog on this team.
-They need him to be able to trade for a big contract.

simple as that.

llemon
12-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Dwill next season?

but to answer your main question, NO.

They COULD HAVE dropped him in June with that 3 million buy out instead of paying him these 15 million or so.

So, you're saying they opt to keep him and make Dolan pay $15 million (even though he's not in the salary cap for the team) than just pay the man $3 million in june and not have him in the salary cap?

They obviously chose to keep him for a reason.

-They need him to be the third cog on this team.
-They need him to be able to trade for a big contract.

simple as that.

Sorry, meant Dwight or Paul, and isn't Billup's capspace more attractive than his salary.

And they didn't drop Billup's because they didn't realize they would have a shot of obtaining Paul this season.

phoenix_bladen
12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
stupid thread......

why would they use the amnesty on billups when they could have just not picked up his team option in june ?

Badluck33
12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Very stupid thread and idea.

NYK will want to save their amnesty for the last 1 or 2 years on Amare's contract.

oak2455
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
There should be some sort of test, before you can start a thread:D

king4day
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
NY saving the amnesty option in the event Amar'e does go down is brilliant.

uprightciti
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
can i go with C. Just plain NO

Billups is a floor general with the most veteran exp. on the knicks and a perfect mentor for IMAN, Douglas, Rautins, ETC.

i would also go so far to say if we lose the CP3, D-12, D-Will race we would be able to re-sign Billups on the cheap and go deeper into the '12 free agency.

Roy Hibbert
Danilo Gallinari
O.J. Mayo
Brook Lopez
Steve Nash
JaVale McGee
Raymond Felton
Mo Williams
Eric Gordon
D.J. Augustin

29$JerZ
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Deron will remain a Net or go out West, he isn't on the Knicks radar.
Billups is expiring so cutting him is stupid, much more valuable as a large expiring contract as we get further into how realistic Paul to NY is.
No player is worth amnesty Billups for. Chandler and every other Center will be overpaid beyond belief.

Amnesty will likely be used on Amar'e or anyone who gets injured.

Sixerlover
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Should isn't the question. The question is do THEY want to, and obviously they don't because they chose to pick up his option in June

NYK|NYY
12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Nope, there isn't currently a better option and his giant salary is a decent trade piece.

ManningToTyree
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
If they didn't want him, they would not have picked up his option. He is a vital part of this team unless he can be used to upgrade to cp3.

RLundi
12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Pointedly, it'd be pointless at this point.

I like to play with words.

KGJ
12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
If by chance the Knicks dont get CP3 this year which i hope they dont, I have a funny feeling that DWill will decide to come here in place of Paul and to be honest I would be just as happy to have him as I would CP3, they have very similiar numbers and DWill is a bit more injury free than Paul.

I dont feel the Knicks should gut their team once more for one guy, we have a few corner pieces in Amare and Melo, so if we wait and can then hold onto to prize of the draft Iman, then we will be the team to beat in the east right up there with the Bulls.

nycericanguy
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
NY saving the amnesty option in the event Amar'e does go down is brilliant.

yea i imagine thats what we're gonna do. NY isn't going to cut Billups and pay him when they didnt even have to sign him in the first place, just for a SHOT at Chandler who is demanding to be paid like Kobe...

Chandler is injury prone and honestly just not that good, he had that 1 good year where everything clicked and he wasn't injured and now he's trying to scam some team into ruining their future by giving him a huge deal.

SluggeR
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
My Knicks have come too far to let Billups go now+he's an expiring. If he had another year at his salary, then I would say use the amnesty. I think they picked up his option because they didn't want to upset Melo. I wasn't a fan of picking up Billups option, but he's here and I hope finally realize that you can carry a team to victories by passing as well.

Tebow15Time
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
There is a lot of talk about next year's free agent market, which will likely include D-Will, and also perhaps Dwight Howard and CP3, and we all know the Knicks will have the Billups contract coming off next season's books. But why wait? There is a quality big on the market now: Tyson Chandler! NY could amnesty Billups and make a splach on the free agency market this season. We all know they dont have much to leverage for trade bait this season, so why not upgrade now. Sure, they'd be left in need of a PG, but there are a lot of great PGs out there, and a few will be out because of the amnesty clause, which could be easy pickings for NY if they had Tyson Chandler filling out a front court that also feature Amare and Melo. Baron Davis. Gilbert Arenas. And there are a few free agent PGs who might be willing to sign for less to play in NY.

Thoughts?

lmao at ur poll, im guessing ur going to throw a combined 22 million+ to have chandler start and nene be the 6th man for the knicks

what about paul,lol?

Bu312ck
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
agree and disagree..like to save it in case of amare's knees

but like it..sign a guy like jj barrea who will cost less than a billups or cp3

barrea
t douglas/feilds
melo
amare
chandler

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
What a pointless thread, they picked up his option....and now they are gonna amnesty him???

Are you high?

jrm2054
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
no let him play out the year then let him walk

jrm2054
12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Also where are you getting D-Will he has said he has no interest in the Knicks

AndyfromNeptune
12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Very stupid thread and idea.

NYK will want to save their amnesty for the last 1 or 2 years on Amare's contract.

really good point. :facepalm:

AndyfromNeptune
12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
What a pointless thread, they picked up his option....and now they are gonna amnesty him???

Are you high?

i guess he is...