PDA

View Full Version : Blazers wont amnesty Brandon Roy

lavilevi23
12-05-2011, 08:59 PM
During a 90-minute meeting on Monday, the Blazers have decided not to amnesty Brandon Roy.

Nate McMillan will even consider starting Roy.

The Blazers won't say that the decision not to amnesty Roy is permanent, but there is a clear change in their thinking.

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/217022/Blazers_Wont_Amnesty_Brandon_Roy#ixzz1fiCGKi58

Discuss!

ManRam
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/jwquick

There's the twitter link, since we don't allow links from that site.

Somewhat surprising. They can use it whenever they want, so why not bring him into camp and see how he does?

Cal827
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Wow, people in the NBA actually being loyal to each other (although it's temporary)? You don't say.

Wasn't the Amnesty made in order to help teams to not pay luxury... hell they are going to have to pay oden like 10 mill too... 27 million to basically sit on the bench :pity: I do hope I'm wrong though, I loved watching Brandon play.

bholly
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Somewhat surprising. They can use it whenever they want, so why not bring him into camp and see how he does?

^^ I think you can only use it in the offseason, but yeah, any offseason you want. The wording in the summary document is 'prior to any season' and Larry Coon said the same thing on twitter today.

I'm not sure when 'the season' starts for this purpose, though. July 1? Opening night? I don't know.

beasted86
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
...... yet.

ManRam
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
^^ I think you can only use it in the offseason, but yeah, any offseason you want. The wording in the summary document is 'prior to any season' and Larry Coon said the same thing on twitter today.

I'm not sure when 'the season' starts for this purpose, though. July 1? Opening night? I don't know.

Yeah. It can't be used after the season starts. But unless they plan on being players in FA this year (doubtful) why not just keep him around for the season and see how he does, if the owner is willing...

Iodine
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
You can only use it during offseasons BUT during any offseason for any contract under the old CBA

since Paul Allen has more money than jesus would, its fine

bholly
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah. It can't be used after the season starts. But unless they plan on being players in FA this year (doubtful) why not just keep him around for the season and see how he does, if the owner is willing...

Totally agree.

iggypop123
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM

they gain nothing this year by doing it. just some cash. next year if they do it, they will get into the 2012 sweepstake. my guess is that was their motivation. if they used it this year they would have likely had to sign a guy just to fulfill the 80 or 90% salary cap mandate thing

Iodine
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Especially since Wessy Wes is starting caliber if Roy is a lost cause, I find no issue with this

Like iggy said 2012 is where its at

oldfishermen
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
The Blazerís just held another press conference. Coach Nate McMillan, IGM Chad Buchanan, Pres. Larry Miller answered questions. Their 90 minute meeting with Brandon Roy and his agent was discussed. All three Blazers were very optimistic about Brandonís future with the Blazers. Coach McMillan did leave the door open for Brandon taking back his starting spot. They made it sound as if Brandonís knees feel better than at the start of last season. IGM Buchanan said they were proceeding with plans Brandon would be a Blazer. This includes only using the $3 million mini, not the full $5 million MLE to acquire a FA.

There is another report, from Brandonís agent, also at the 90 minute meeting. The Blazers have not promised to keep Brandon on the roster at the start of the season. The Blazers only gave Brandon an opportunity to show what he can do in training camp.

In other words, the final decision will be made by owner Paul Allen. The door is still wide open in both directions. The Blazers want to take a look at Brandon in training camp before making the final decision. As of now, they are very optimistic about Brandonís recovery and what he may still be able to do in a game.

AllBall
12-06-2011, 04:08 AM
They wouldn't want the PR and fan base backlash.