PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis to team up with Dwight Howard in Orlando?

steveweve
12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Bill Ingram 12/04/2011 3:30pm EST

The Orlando Magic have been presented with a golden opportunity, one that no one imagined they would ever get. All-Star center Dwight Howard has made it clear to Magic GM Otis Smith that he wants to be in Orlando long-term, and will even sign an extension if the Magic can land one of two players:

Chris Paul or Monta Ellis.

The odds that Orlando can find an offer that would entice the New Orleans Hornets into parting with Chris Paul is extremely slim. Its just not likely that the Hornets are going to want something like Jameer Nelson, Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson in exchange for the best point guard in the NBA.

Ellis, on the other hand . . .the Magic just might be able to make something happen there.

One of the players the Warriors have targeted in free agency is Jason Richardson, someone who is technically still part of the Magic organization . . .at least in as much as they could re-sign him and trade him to the Warriors without having to worry about going over the salary cap. The Warriors will eventually have to accept the fact that running two point guards together in the backcourt is not going to be a winning scenario. It makes a lot more sense to start Richardson next to Steph Curry, which is where the Magic come in.

If the Magic and Warriors consummate a deal it would allow the Warriors to add Richardson without adding to their own cap. It would also mean if Dwight is serious that the Magic could keep Dwight long-term.

Its not clear whether or not Ellis and Howard together make the Magic significantly better than they are at present . . .but if it keeps Dwight in town its a deal worth making for Orlando.

Well this is my first thread I've created. And no other better time to make one then at the beginning of a new season with a new ownership.

Anyways, what's your guys thoughts on this?

steveweve
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Personally I think we trade Monta for Rudy Gay, and hang on to Stephen Curry and allow him to develop into the star he will become. We need to sign Chandler/Nene/Gasol/Jordan though.

Lloyd Christmas
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
If that's true then maybe we should trade for CP3 and try to sign Howard next year since we would have both CP3 and Monta.

Rush
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Personally I think we trade Monta for Rudy Gay, and hang on to Stephen Curry and allow him to develop into the star he will become. We need to sign Chandler/Nene/Gasol/Jordan though.

I'm hoping Nene or Jordan. Chandler would be a good fit for us since he's physical, but also not much of scorer. Gasol is too soft for the W's.

COOLbeans
12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
wheres the link? so what would the trade be, richardson and 2 future 1sts for Monta?? without the pick, and one being in 2012 or 2013, that wouldn't be a good deal. i wonder what other assets do the Magic give up..

Bayareaboy
12-05-2011, 12:51 AM
If that's true then maybe we should trade for CP3 and try to sign Howard next year since we would have both CP3 and Monta.

This makes a whole lot more sense to me. We have one player Howard wants to play with plus rumors floating that we could get the other. So y not get CP3 then at the end of the season which ever center we sign via FA can b part of the sign n trade deal. We get extensions on both if we can Garuntee both to play together. Plus still have Ellis. I'd assume we give alot for cp3 like curry beans a rotation Player and a pick. Same with Howard. Maybe the center we sign n FA plus lee and another rotation player

MackShock
12-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Where is the money coming from? To sign Howard outright? If we were to trade for Paul and get him..wheres the money coming from?

Lloyd Christmas
12-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Where is the money coming from? To sign Howard outright? If we were to trade for Paul and get him..wheres the money coming from?

If the rumor of the Hornets wanting Curry and Wright for CP3 is true then make that trade which will then eat up all of our cap space this year.

Then we find a team to take Biedrins for some garbage expiring contracts (I believe Houston was trying to trade Thabeet and another expiring for Biedrins).

Add in Charlie Bell's 4 mil expiring then we are at 13 mil. Now all it takes is amnestying Lee. BOOM!

MackShock
12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
If the rumor of the Hornets wanting Curry and Wright for CP3 is true then make that trade which will then eat up all of our cap space this year.

Then we find a team to take Biedrins for some garbage expiring contracts (I believe Houston was trying to trade Thabeet and another expiring for Biedrins).

Add in Charlie Bell's 4 mil expiring then we are at 13 mil. Now all it takes is amnestying Lee. BOOM!

Paul isnt going to sign an extension until Dwight coming to the Bay is in the bag...

Lloyd Christmas
12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Paul isnt going to sign an extension until Dwight coming to the Bay is in the bag...

And your point? Too risky to trade for Paul without an extension? This would be a risk worth going for IMO.

djeller1139
12-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Orlando has nothing to trade. If that's the case, I'd much rather trade Curry for Chris Paul, and either try to trade for Howard (Wright/Udoh/Lee/Biedrins combination, or some three-team deal) or wait till next offseason and try to convince both Paul to stay, and Howard to come.

I don't want Ryan Anderson and scraps for Monta.

robbnen#31
12-05-2011, 01:53 AM
There would have to be a 3rd team involved, the Warriors and Magic simply aren't adequate trade partners for each other.

Jeff559
12-05-2011, 02:35 AM
If this is true, then I think it might be worth the gamble to trade Curry plus filler to New Orleans even without the extension. If we have both the players that Dwight wants to play with then this gives us a hellava lot of leverage to entice him to come to the bay, and no reason for him to go to orlando... could be interesting. As far as s&t for Jrich, I love Jrich but f that. even if they do throw in a couple of worthless draft picks.

BKLYNpigeon
12-05-2011, 02:46 AM
worthless thread.

SugeKnight
12-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Here's the plan: Trade Curry and Lee For Paul WITH AN EXTENSION. Then amnesty biedrins after this season and sign Dwight.

Paul
Ellis - Thompson
Wright
Udoh
Howard

We could then have the option of trading ellis for iggy, if it doesnt work defensively.

8===================D~~~~
This team would be jizz-worthy

MackShock
12-05-2011, 03:13 AM
worthless thread.

say something contributing dude..

Leandres_sf
12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
There would have to be a 3rd team involved, the Warriors and Magic simply aren't adequate trade partners for each other.

Agreed, the Magic don't have anything I would want in exchange for Monta, with the exception of Dwight Howard...and obviously that wouldn't make any sense.

likemystylez
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM

mr. lacobs account, I believe he mentioned something about a small loan and trust institution in the boston area.

seriously though, if we found a way to get howard and paul.... Lacob would clearly have to be in the luxury tax. We would have a contending team...... and my guess is that under those conditions he would be ok paying luxury taxes.

Monta is beast
12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
They have nothing to offer us.

lol, please
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Monta is not going anywhere. Mark Jackson knows he can get it done alongside Curry.

WestCoastSportz
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's the plan: Trade Curry and Lee For Paul WITH AN EXTENSION. Then amnesty biedrins after this season and sign Dwight.

Its not that easy. Chris Paul has already stated that he wouldn't sign an extension with NJ because he wants to play for either NY or the Clippers. So why would he sign an extension with the Warriors? Dwight Howard is a pipe dream as well. Should just let it go and concentrate on realistic options.

SugeKnight
12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Its not that easy. Chris Paul has already stated that he wouldn't sign an extension with NJ because he wants to play for either NY or the Clippers. So why would he sign an extension with the Warriors? Dwight Howard is a pipe dream as well. Should just let it go and concentrate on realistic options.

Trading Curry for Paul would be like going all-in. It would be like what NJ did to get Williams.

We have two options: 1. sign Chandler for a ridiculously lucrative deal and be an average playoff team with no real chance at a championship, destined to stay mediocre until we are once again bottom feeders and repeat the cycle. or 2. Make the trade, take the chance of being a powerhouse. If we could get paul with an extension, id like our chances for dwight. If we can only get him without an extension, that would be a little too risky for my taste, but atleast we know that management is serious about getting championships.

We know we can trade Curry for Paul. We know Dwight wants to play with Paul and Ellis. We can make the caproom to have both Paul and Dwight while still keeping ellis.

Paul-Ellis-Wright-Udoh-Dwight with Thompson off the bench is a GREAT team. Atleast 60 wins a season

Monta is beast
12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Trading Curry for Paul would be like going all-in. It would be like what NJ did to get Williams.

We have two options: 1. sign Chandler for a ridiculously lucrative deal and be an average playoff team with no real chance at a championship, destined to stay mediocre until we are once again bottom feeders and repeat the cycle. or 2. Make the trade, take the chance of being a powerhouse. If we could get paul with an extension, id like our chances for dwight. If we can only get him without an extension, that would be a little too risky for my taste, but atleast we know that management is serious about getting championships.

We know we can trade Curry for Paul. We know Dwight wants to play with Paul and Ellis. We can make the caproom to have both Paul and Dwight while still keeping ellis.

Paul-Ellis-Wright-Udoh-Dwight with Thompson off the bench is a GREAT team. Atleast 60 wins a season

Dude, seriously. The chances of getting Paul are already slim enough, but then getting Howard on top of that, all the while keeping Ellis, and staying under the cap. We can win with the talent we would have if we got Chandler. If Malone and Jackson can get the team to play defense we can win.

MackShock
12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
id say keep dreaming if we got both. getting one is already pipe dreaming

Saltinuts40
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Jason Richardson, Brandon Bass and Daniel Orton to Golden State for Monta Ellis

I'd do that.

We get the former heart and soul of our team, a better defender, good outside shooter and a bigger guard to team with Curry. Klay Thompson doesn't have to start, and can learn from J-Rich.

Brandon Bass gives us a banger inside to pair with Lee who is more offensive minded.

Daniel Orton takes pressure off of Jeremy Tyler to have to contribute this year.

Cut Charlie Bell and amnesty Andris Biedrins and get Tyson Chandler.

PG Curry, Lin
SG Richardson, Thompson
SF Wright, Williams
PF Lee, Bass, Udoh
C Chandler, Orton, Amundson

D-League
Jenkins and Tyler

robbnen#31
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I would like to deal Ellis in the right deal, but are you ****ing kidding me?

Chris Cohan, is that you?

Lloyd Christmas
12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Jason Richardson, Brandon Bass and Daniel Orton to Golden State for Monta Ellis

I'd do that.

We get the former heart and soul of our team, a better defender, good outside shooter and a bigger guard to team with Curry. Klay Thompson doesn't have to start, and can learn from J-Rich.

Brandon Bass gives us a banger inside to pair with Lee who is more offensive minded.

Daniel Orton takes pressure off of Jeremy Tyler to have to contribute this year.

Cut Charlie Bell and amnesty Andris Biedrins and get Tyson Chandler.

PG Curry, Lin
SG Richardson, Thompson
SF Wright, Williams
PF Lee, Bass, Udoh
C Chandler, Orton, Amundson

D-League
Jenkins and Tyler

I think we can get a better haul for Monta.

MackShock
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
We can also sign Richardson outright, since he's an UFA.