PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time ReDraft Playoffs: #1 Denver Nuggets vs. #4 Charlotte Hornets

Catfish1314
12-03-2011, 03:43 AM
NBA All-Time ReDraft Voting!

The following teams have been assembled and are now playing each other in a fantasy first round match up. For this game please assume that all players are in their primes and playing at the top of their game. Injuries are not a factor for this game as every single player is playing at his best.

Please take the time to read the write ups and put some thought into your vote as many of the GMs in this spent a lot of time on this game.

No this obviously isnít real.

If you think itís stupid go to another thread.

Other than that have fun and argue for whom you believe has the better team.

The Nuggets have homecourt advantage in this series.

Nuggets Depth Chart:

C: Vlade Divac (31) || Caldwell Jones (17)
PF: Tim Duncan (39) || Mychal Thompson (9)
SF: Dave DeBusschere (37) || Latrell Sprewell (7) || Rodney McCray (4)
SG: Tracy McGrady (37) || Latrell Sprewell (7) || Michael Ray Richardson (4)
PG: Chauncey Billups (37) || Michael Ray Richardson (10)

Hornets Depth Chart:

PG: Mookie Blaylock - Norm Nixon
SG: Eddie Jones - Ron Harper - Sasha Vujacic
SF: Grant Hill - Keith Van Horn
PF: Bill Laimbeer - A.C. Green
C: Shaquille O'Neal - Luc Longley - Greg Ostertag

Nuggets Write-up:

First, Congrats to Chac and UTB for assembling a well-rounded team and getting to the second round. No upset here though.

The Nuggets are set up to win in the playoffs, with two former Finals MVPís in Billups and Duncan, and a 2x champion next to a prime Tracy McGrady. McGrady with the leadership of Duncan, DeBusschere, Divac and Billups is a dangerous combination. His shot selection will be prime next to Billups because Billups has incredible basketball IQ and will eliminate TMacís bad shot opportunities and spread the ball around while scoring the ball. Duncan is Duncan. He is a fantastic defender, leader, rebounder, post player, you name it. Divac and DeBusschere are the ultimate role players, as both are willing passers who can defend very well and rebound very well while knowing what it takes to win. Now, letís get into the matchups:

PG Matchup: Chauncey Billups vs. Mookie Blaylock
This is going to be a big series for former finals MVP Chauncey Billups. He has a 3 inch 20 pound advantage on Blaylock and though Blaylock is known as a good defender, Billupsí game isnít one that can be deterred greatly by tight defense because he doesnít rely on speed to get to the line and is not turnover prone. He can post up, dish, shoot the ball and get to the line with the best of them and his leadership is key in this series, playing with Tracy McGrady. He is also an extremely efficient PG, with a TS% of 58.6, compared to Blaylockís career average of about 53% in his prime. Blaylock likes to shoot from outside a great deal, which may get his team into holes, as Billups is a great defender and can use his strength and height advantage to deter Blaylock. Blaylock is solid, but heís not very efficient and was not an elite playmaker. Billups is uber efficient and can create when asked, and fits very well with TMac because heís great at playing without the ball while McGrady creates.
Advantage: Nuggets

SG Matchup: Tracy McGrady vs. Eddie Jones
This is a big mismatch in favor of Denver. Tracy will have a huge series on Eddie Jones, as heís better in just about every aspect of the game. Heís an elite scoring wing, and though he has had trouble winning in the playoffs, heís surrounded by leaders and winners and is in the perfect spot to succeed. We all remember T-Mac in his prime, scoring 29 PPG while grabbing about 7 rebounds and dishing for almost 6 assists. In his prime, he was arguably a top 5 SG of all time, and he has the clear cut advantage here. In addition, McGrady has also has a 2 inch, 20 pound advantage on Jones. Though McGrady isnít the elite defender, heís more than capable of containing Jones on the perimeter. He can deter him with his size, just like Billups, and will be able to save the majority of his energy for the offensive end because Jones is nothing more than a 4th or 5th option.

SF Matchup: Dave DeBusschere vs. Grant Hill
Hill is the better player here, but we love how DeBusschere matches up. He is an elite, 6x All Defensive 1st team, defender and will give Hill fits. DeBusschere is also a fantastic rebounder, averaging over 10 rebounds per game 10 times in his career. He is also a solid offensive piece, able to give this team around 13-15 points per game. Hill was very effective in great part to his point-forward mismatches, but DeBusschere is an elite defender who has the strength to guard him, weighing in only five pounds less than Hill. Though Hill is the better player here, DeBusschere is a great defender to put on him, a known winner and will give Grant Hill loads of trouble.
Advantage: Hornets

PF Matchup: Tim Duncan vs. Bill Laimbeer
This matchup may seem close on the premise, but itís not. Tim Duncan, in his prime, averaged 23.8 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 3.6 APG, and 3.3 ORBPG with a TS% of 56%, and .25 WS/48. He has made 9 All defensive first teams, has won 4 championships, 4 All-Defensive second teams, 9 All-NBA First teams, is a three times finals MVP, and two times NBA MVP. He is hands down the best PF in this game, and has the clear advantage here. Duncan is the best PF of all time, hands down and clearly wins this matchup. Duncanís defense at the PF position is unmatched and heíd contain Laimbeer handily. On the other end, Laimbeer would have trouble with Duncan. Duncan is an elite finisher in the paint, and Laimbeer isnít the elite defender that can deter him, as he has never even made an All-Defensive team. Duncan will be able to remove him from the paint and hit the classic mid-range bank shot, which may cause trouble as Laimbeer is a natural center.

C Matchup: Vlade Divac vs. Shaquille OíNeal
This is a clear advantage for the Hornets. However, Vlade is not afraid to bang downlow and will give Shaq his fair share of problems. We have an array of big men to give Shaq different looks, and prevent him from going off in this series. If Vlade isnít doing the trick, we can bring in 2x All-Defensive first team defender Caldwell Jones to limit Shaq. The third center that can be brought in is Rasho Nesterovic, who can defend Shaq for a few good minutes with his 7 foot, 250 pound frame, We also feel that one of the best defenses will be the Hornets team itself. Hill was never a fantastic perimeter shooter and will be around the paint area all game, which will allow great help defender Dave DeBusschere to come and double Shaq at times and cause turnovers, which Shaq is prone to doing at almost 3 per game. Laimbeer will also be around the paint area throughout the game, allowing Tim Duncan to slide over and help at times. Shaq will not be single covered on a team with fantastic help defenders such as this.
Advantage: Hornets

Benches:
The Nuggets have one of the best benches in this entire game, their main three pieces being Caldwell Jones, Latrell Sprewell and Michael Ray Richardson. Richardson and Jones are two time All-Defensive First team members and can come in and provide elite defense off the bench. MRR can play at PG, SG or SF, which gives the team a ton of versatility, playing point-forward, being able to create for his teammates and penetrating the paint. Jones on the other hand can play PF and C and provide elite defense while adding some scoring and rebounding. He will be key in defending Shaq and forcing turnovers. Sprewell is a good slasher, hard-nosed defender, and a sparkplug off the bench for this team and can give the team some scoring help if DeBusschere is a liability on offense. If we need defense at the wing position to guard Hill, Rodney McCray, also an All-Defensive Team Member, can be subbed in as well. Moreover, we have Mychal Thompson, another C/PF who can score the ball and rebound off the bench. Green, Harper, Longley, Van Horn and Nixon are good role players as well, but I believe that the Nuggets bench is just more versatile and a better fit.

Overall, the Nuggets are too much to handle. We have the bodies to put on Shaq, in Divac, Jones, Nesterovic and Thompson. Laimbeer will be made a non-factor by Duncan, and Duncan will get his points while causing matchup problems. DeBusschere matches up perfectly with Hill because of his elite defense and rebounding. TMac has a clear cut advantage over Eddie Jones, as does Billups over Blaylock. Not to mention, the Hornets team is extremely turnover prone (Blaylock: 2.5 TO/g, Jones: 2 TO/g, Hill 3.5 TO/g, Laimbeer: 1.7 TO/g, Shaq: 3 TO/g= almost 12 TO/g from only the starters), and with the pesky defense of the Nuggets, donít be surprised to see 15+ turnovers by the Hornets, giving the Nuggets a huge edge. Also, I cannot stress how TMac fitís on this team perfectly. He is surrounded by winners who are unselfish players and will have his opportunities to be the sidekick to the best PF of all time while playing with Mr. Big Shot who will keep him in check in the backcourt. The Hornets have a well-rounded team, but home-court advantage and a bona-fide backcourt duo to go along with Duncan is too much to handle. The Nuggets take this series in 6.

Hornets Write-up:

Center: Shaquille OíNeal vs Vlade Divac
This matchup will prove to be the difference because of how well Shaq has done in his career against Vlade Divac. In 32 games played against each other during the regular season, Shaqís statline looks like this:

28.3 PPG, 12.8 RPG (4.5 offensive), 3.2 APG, 2.0 BPG, 58.5FG% in 39.8MPG

Iíd also like note that Vlade Divac averaged 4.1 fouls/game and 30MPG in these matchups, and that is huge for this series because the Nuggets do not have another viable option to throw at Shaq. They are certainly not going to put Tim Duncan on Shaq because it could put Duncan in foul trouble. Their backup center is Caldwell Jones, who at 6í11 - 217 lbs is simply not big enough to defend a prime 7í1 Ė 300 lbs Shaq.

Power Forward: Bill Laimbeer vs Tim Duncan
Bill Laimbeer will be matched up on Timmy for the entire series and I feel confident that my starting PF can defend him properly. Possessing great mobility and aggressive play on the low block, 6í11 Bill Laimbeer will definitely make it tough for Timmy to move, breathe and get easy buckets while on the floor. I am 100% certain that Shaq will outplay Duncan throughout this series because of the matchup each of them is presented with. Shaquille OíNeal will see little to no time on Duncan defensively and that is to conserve his energy and fouls. If need be, AC Green will also matchup against Duncan, and, while a little undersized at 6í9, AC Green has great positioning and leaping ability to man up on defense and crash the offensive boards.

Small Forward: Grant Hill vs Dave Busschere
My other star player will be matched up against Dave Busschere, a player whose career took place during the 60s and early 70s. Grant Hill will be able to do damage on the perimeter and making cuts regardless of who is in front of him on defense. I am anticipating double teams on Shaq and Grant Hill will make his matchup pay if he is left open for the midrange jumper or has open lanes to make cuts to the basket. A career 43% shooter, Dave is not a major threat on offense and Grant Hill will be able to help on Tim Duncan on the low block.

Shooting Guard: Eddie Jones vs Tracy McGrady
Yes they have an advantage here, but yet again it is closer than you would think. The biggest difference in this matchup that swings into our favor is playoff experience. Eddie has gone through all stages of the playoffs, and has won the title. Tracy however has never won a playoff round. This must be factored into play here, because Tracy will not know how intense this series will get, due to his lack of expertise in the area. Tracy is a very good offensive player, but luckily we have Eddie on him who is one of the best man-to-man defenders on the wing of all time. To give you a better understanding of Eddieís impact in this matchup, here is T-Macís statline against Eddie Jones (28 regular season games):

20.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 4.2 APG, 2.6 TO, 41.3FG%, 35.1 3PT%, 69.7 FT% in 35 MPG

Those numbers are much lower than McGradyís peak, even career, averages. It is simply a bad matchup for T-Mac on the offensive end. While T-Mac is a very good offensive player, he is known to be somewhat lazy on the defensive side of the ball at times. Eddie is a great 3 point shooter and if left open will hit the jumper more often than not. His shooting ability will force T-Mac to exert a lot of energy on the defensive side of the ball, and will make it even harder for him to score.

Point Guard: Mookie Blaylock vs Chauncey Billups
This matchup is closer than you may think. While Mookie may not have the high profile name or the flashy stats, he is a player that does what his team needs him to do to win ballgames on the offensive end. Need him to distribute? Ok, he finished top 10 in assists 3 different times in his career. Need him to score? Alright, he consistently averaged around 14ppg and also reached up to 17 when his team needed it the most. The biggest impact on this series that Mookie will have though is his defense. Mookie is a 2-time first team and a 4-time second team defender in the league, and will stick on Chauncey throughout this series. Mookie is also very pesky and is sure to steal a few balls from Chauncey which will frustrate him and cause him to make more mistakes. Chauncey certainly has the bigger name, but the stats of these 2 players are extremely similar and the impact of Mookie on defense is something that cannot be measured by a stat in this series.

Bench:
His bench offers very little offense outside of Latrell Sprewell who will not see much time on the floor with T-Mac getting most of the minutes at the SG spot. The Hornets have a great offensive PG in Norm Nixon who can create scoring opportunities on the fastbreak and with penetration. Outside of Sprewell, there is not much to be desired offensively ffrom the Nuggets and Mychal Thompson will be paired up against a good defender and rebounder in AC Green.

Overall:
This matchup is close but the ability for my main star player to abuse the oppositionís big men will prove to be the difference. Also, letís not forget that my lineup features two great defenders in the backcourt who can get steals and disrupt the flow of the offense for my opposition. Good luck to my opponent and thank you for taking time in reading this.

Sadds The Gr8
12-03-2011, 04:02 AM
i feel like the Nuggets are built better

PatsSoxKnicks
12-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Going to have to think about this for a bit.

knicks=love
12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
gonna have to read the write ups later

The_Jamal
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Very, Very tough. The Nuggets are the better team, but the Hornets have 3 pretty damn good defensive options on the Nuggets 3 best players and Shaq on Divac can very easily sway the series towards the Hornets for me. T-Mac numbers against Eddie Jones is pretty telling as it's a pretty damn solid sample size of containing him.

I'll vote later, definetly gotta sit on this one a bit

DR_1
12-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Hornets. I can't see Shaq being stopped by the Nuggets.

roshan3ai
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Those numbers were pretty misleading. First, they included TMac's early years where he was on the Raptors and wasn't close to his prime, where Eddie Jones was hitting his prime. Second, he has the TMac post 2005 numbers where he encountered injury problems, and Eddie Jones was on the downfall of his career, not a 35 MPG player. So he wasn't guarding TMac the entire game.

From 2002-2004:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200202130MIA.html
McGrady: 26 Pts, 6 asts, 2 rbs on 10-20 from the field, 3-4 from 3PT

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200204120MIA.html
McGrady: 34 Pts, 11 Rbs, 3 asts, 14-31 from the field (45% FG%), 4-4 from the line, 2-4 from 3PT

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200210300MIA.html
McGrady: 24 Pts, 3 asts, 1 Rb, 8-13 from the field, 2-3 from deep, 10 FTA
**Blowout so TMac only played 32 minutes**

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200401020MIA.html
TMac's worst game: 22 Pts, 10 asts, 5 rbs, 5-18 from the field, 4-12 from 3PT

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200402110ORL.html
McGrady: 24 Pts, 6 Asts, 2 Rbs, 4-6 from FT line, 10-25 from the field

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200403090MIA.html
McGrady: 26 Pts, 8 Asts, 5 Rbs, 4-6 from FT line, 10-21 from the field

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200403240ORL.html
McGrady: 18 Pts, 4 Asts, 1 Rb, 3-5 from 3PT

***Keep in mind this is with all the defensive attention on McGrady. His second best player was Drew freaking Gooden. He will not be able to be doubled on this squad, and therefore his efficiency will definitely go up.

RevisIsland
12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Hornets in a very close one, I was just never as big on these Nuggets as everyone else.

roshan3ai
12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Bumparoo

Ebbs
12-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Catfish I owe you! I have to go Hornets as I think there front court dominates the matchup.

knicks=love
12-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Tough one for me. I have the nuggets in 7 but not by much

roshan3ai
12-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Tough one for me. I have the nuggets in 7 but not by much

Why didn't you vote?

KnicksorBust
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Tim Duncan vs. Bill Laimbeer is a bigger advantage for the Nuggets than anyone will give them credit. I also really love the fit of their Billups-Tmac backcourt. It can do everything on the offensive end and would really control this series. Shaq is a monster but in an all-time redraft it's more than just one player. It's a team game and I gotta go with Denver.

Chacarron
12-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Let's get some votes.

knicks=love
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Why didn't you vote?

haha i was on my phone when i did this, and i thought i voted but i didn't. sorry to get ya shaking :p

unleashthebeast
12-04-2011, 10:33 AM
bump

Sadds The Gr8
12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
these conference games suck...no arguments at all

Chacarron
12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
We need more votes in this matchup.

roshan3ai
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Agreed more votes!

Swashcuff
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
While the Nuggets have the better team the Shaq factor is so frigging dynamic... this is a real tough one for me.

unleashthebeast
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
note: mc 9 and NoahH both have under 100 votes, so i think it is 17-10 as of right now

roshan3ai
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
note: mc 9 and NoahH both have under 100 votes, so i think it is 17-10 as of right now

That's not the rule anymore noob :p I think it's anyone who joined in November or December doesn't count

unleashthebeast
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
^:sigh: haha damn. well didnt expect to be getting my *** kicked this badly, expected this to be much closer

roshan3ai
12-04-2011, 11:28 PM
^:sigh: haha damn. well didnt expect to be getting my *** kicked this badly, expected this to be much closer

You're not getting your *** kicked. I've seen comebacks this big. Hopefully it doesn't happen here, but I've seen it. We need more votes!

The_Jamal
12-05-2011, 12:21 AM
I thought the Shaq factor would be enough for the Hornets to take this matchup down

PatsSoxKnicks
12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
May I ask that whoever are the 3 extra people that voted in this matchup also take the time to vote in our matchup (KC Kings vs. 76ers).

PatsSoxKnicks
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Went with the Nuggets, like their backcourt better but this was really close.

AKAYaReal
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Shaq is Shaq and there is no way around it. For me though, a prime Timmy and Tmac 1-2 punch with Mr. Big Shot running the show says alot.

It seems like a series that would have a # of over time games but I see game coming down to free throws and Tmac winning the battle over Shaq in made shots. Shaq will get his and 1's but dont see him making all of them with Vlade hacking away.

I say Nuggets in 7!

Avenged
12-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I really, really like this Denver team and I probably should have voted for them but the Shaq factor did it for me. This would be a great series though, Divac and Duncan had some epic games against Shaq in the playoffs.