PDA

View Full Version : Retiring Shaq's Jersey

JasonJohnHorn
12-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm reading Shaq's autobiography right now, and in it Shaq says that Pat Riley promised to take down Jordan's jersey and put Shaq's "32" in its place after Miami had won the title.

Who thinks this is going to happen? And who is going to be first to retire Shaq's jersey?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Shaq has recently on numerous occasions stated that he will enter the hall of fame as a Los Angeles Laker. So I expect the Lakers to retire his #34 jersey first. Either this season or next season.

lavilevi23
12-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Miami wont do it. not after the way he left

Gram
12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
lol at the poll results.

ichitownclowni
12-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Lal

njnets
12-03-2011, 01:44 AM
somebody voted phoenix. i lol'd at that one. LA is definitely the choice. sure he won a ring in miami but his best and most dominant years, along with multiple championships, were in LA. easy choice here.

AllBall
12-03-2011, 02:03 AM
LA would be the first team to do it, thats for sure. Miami wouldn't do it for atleast another decade.

naps
12-03-2011, 08:18 AM
The team where he was the MAN and won three finals MVPs. This is too easy. Miami is not retiring his jersey as long as Riley and Micky are at the helm.

IndiansFan337
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Shaq has recently on numerous occasions stated that he will enter the hall of fame as a Los Angeles Laker. So I expect the Lakers to retire his #34 jersey first. Either this season or next season.

His best years were with the LAL, so I fully expect that as well. Jerry Buss told him right after he announced his retirement that the LAL would be retiring his jersey. I expect them to wait 2-3 years though so that incase Shaq gets some crazy itch to return they don't look foolish. I don't think he'll return, but he sure could be an awesome 15-20 mpg guy on any team when healthy, solely because of his size.

cooters22
12-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I was so pissed the day Milwaukee announced that they were going to honor Kareem Abdul Jabbar. And he even brought us a title before he pushed his way to LA with a trade. I hope Orlando never retires his number and shows him the respect he doesn't deserve from them. And yes, believe it or not am and was a huge fan of Shaq!

Cal827
12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
He burned everybody he was with, so I actually doubt anybody does.... if one does though, it'll likely be the Lakeshow.

RevisIsland
12-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Cleveland isn't an option?

ManRam
12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
LA...of course.

ink
12-03-2011, 02:39 PM
His best years were with the LAL, so I fully expect that as well. Jerry Buss told him right after he announced his retirement that the LAL would be retiring his jersey. I expect them to wait 2-3 years though so that incase Shaq gets some crazy itch to return they don't look foolish. I don't think he'll return, but he sure could be an awesome 15-20 mpg guy on any team when healthy, solely because of his size.

This.

beliges
12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
The Lakers are the only team that should retire his jersey. He along with Kobe dominated the league and 3-peated for the 1st time since the Bulls did it in the 90s. His legacy will be remembered as a Laker. Miami can also retire his jersey too I guess since he also played a big part in helping them win their title but his tenure as a Heat didnt last long enough to deserve having your number retired. But surely the Lakers will retire his jersey.

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I was so pissed the day Milwaukee announced that they were going to honor Kareem Abdul Jabbar. And he even brought us a title before he pushed his way to LA with a trade. I hope Orlando never retires his number and shows him the respect he doesn't deserve from them. And yes, believe it or not am and was a huge fan of Shaq!

Orlando didn't want to pay him max salary and the Orlando fans picked Coach Brian Hill over Shaq in a poll. Blame the organization and the fans for Shaq's departure, not Shaq himself.

Hellcrooner
12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Lakers 95 % Chance, ( that 5% is for they way he left, and signing for celtics)

Miami 75%, well he acutally brought them their first title ( side note i HOPE they take down 23, it never made any sense).

Magic: 50%, Led them to the finals, was the first star ever had led them to first playoffs, biggest star in their history, but left on bad terms.

Celtics: 25%, you know? look at that ceilling, they love to retire jerseys :D

Suns/Cavs: 1%, not happening except for a publicity stunt " that great player was once a sun/cav".

ink
12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Orlando didn't want to pay him max salary and the Orlando fans picked Coach Brian Hill over Shaq in a poll. Blame the organization and the fans for Shaq's departure, not Shaq himself.

You buy that? If Shaq can be triggered by a stupid poll he is pretty immature. Oh wait, we knew that. lol.

heyman321
12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
It's gonna be Cleveland baby, "Win a ring for the king!" hahahhahha

JasonJohnHorn
12-03-2011, 05:26 PM

You should read Shaq's autobiography. He goes into detail about the exit from Orlando. He actually wanted to stay and would have had the situation worked out differently. Orlando low-balled him and offered a smaller contract than what Juan Howard had just signed, and then told him: We don't want to upset Penny by paying you more than him. Then when LA offered him 120 million, he said yes, and Orlando didnt bother talking to him for several days and only after they heard about the deal offered by LA did they offer to pay him more, and they wouldnt even beat the deal, they were only willing to match it, but Shaq's attitude was that he had already given his word to Jerry West.

Orlando screwed themselves out of Shaq.

JasonJohnHorn
12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
You buy that? If Shaq can be triggered by a stupid poll he is pretty immature. Oh wait, we knew that. lol.

It wasnt just the poll, though that made him feel unappreciated. Read my above post for further details.

THE MTL
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I dont think his jersey number should be retired. A team doesnt just retire jerseys because you had a great run with them. You must have been the SYMBOL of that team for a LONG TIME and has great success as well.

But if there was a team to retire his jersey, it would be LA.

PhillyFaninLA
12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Only the Lakers should retire his number

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-03-2011, 06:10 PM
You should read Shaq's autobiography. He goes into detail about the exit from Orlando. He actually wanted to stay and would have had the situation worked out differently. Orlando low-balled him and offered a smaller contract than what Juan Howard had just signed, and then told him: We don't want to upset Penny by paying you more than him. Then when LA offered him 120 million, he said yes, and Orlando didnt bother talking to him for several days and only after they heard about the deal offered by LA did they offer to pay him more, and they wouldnt even beat the deal, they were only willing to match it, but Shaq's attitude was that he had already given his word to Jerry West.

Orlando screwed themselves out of Shaq.

Thanks for elaborating and helping my case.

Wade>You
12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Shaq's jersey would be retired in Miami if he were willing to have a heart-to-heart with Riley and Arison.

JasonJohnHorn
12-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Shaq's jersey would be retired in Miami if he were willing to have a heart-to-heart with Riley and Arison.

I think Riley is the one that needs to have a heart-to-heart with Shaq. Riley and his guys said Shaq was faking his injury during the season he was traded, and told the Phoenix Suns that. Shaq goes into detail about the treatments that the Heat's physicians were giving him, and how painful they were, and how they were only treating the symptoms and not the cause. When he got to Phoenix, their rehab guys went to work on Shaq, found the root causes to his problems, and treated him accordingly, and Shaq gives them a lot of credit for extending his career. He said he was ready to retire that season because he didnt believe he would never be healthy enough to play, and through all the pain he was suffering Riley went off saying Shaq was faking it. Can you imagine being hurt and going through pain, and your boss goes around telling people you are faking it? Seriously? And then tells your new employer that?

Read the book. It has some great insights. Shaq did a LOT for the Heat. They wouldnt have that banner up in the rafters if it wasnt for Shaq, and if it wasnt for Riley, the Heat might have had more than one, but he chased away all the great vets like Posey, GP and 'Toine and brought in guys that were running dog-fighting rings instead. SMH.

Shaq deserves to have his number retired in Miami. He's done more for that franchise than LBJ and Bosh combined.

Wade>You
12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I think Riley is the one that needs to have a heart-to-heart with Shaq. Riley and his guys said Shaq was faking his injury during the season he was traded, and told the Phoenix Suns that. Shaq goes into detail about the treatments that the Heat's physicians were giving him, and how painful they were, and how they were only treating the symptoms and not the cause. When he got to Phoenix, their rehab guys went to work on Shaq, found the root causes to his problems, and treated him accordingly, and Shaq gives them a lot of credit for extending his career. He said he was ready to retire that season because he didnt believe he would never be healthy enough to play, and through all the pain he was suffering Riley went off saying Shaq was faking it. Can you imagine being hurt and going through pain, and your boss goes around telling people you are faking it? Seriously? And then tells your new employer that?

Read the book. It has some great insights. Shaq did a LOT for the Heat. They wouldnt have that banner up in the rafters if it wasnt for Shaq, and if it wasnt for Riley, the Heat might have had more than one, but he chased away all the great vets like Posey, GP and 'Toine and brought in guys that were running dog-fighting rings instead. SMH.

Shaq deserves to have his number retired in Miami. He's done more for that franchise than LBJ and Bosh combined.It's not easy to believe a guy that has a problem with everyone he's ever played with or played for, or just random people like Bosh, Howard, Dampier, etc. Either everyone is the problem or Shaq's the problem. Which do you think is closer to the truth?

GunFactor187
12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers

knicks=love
12-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Cleveland isn't an option?

:laugh:

knicks=love
12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
welcome to: **************************

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

reported :nod:

THE MTL
12-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I just think you have to be loyal to a team in order for them to retire your jersey.

Cal827
12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
It's not easy to believe a guy that has a problem with everyone he's ever played with or played for, or just random people like Bosh, Howard, Dampier, etc. Either everyone is the problem or Shaq's the problem. Which do you think is closer to the truth?

LOL, I never got why he hated Bosh so much :confused:

NoahH
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
How bout Cleveland?

todu82
12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The Lakers will. They had lots of success as a team with him and he played his best basketball as a Laker.