PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 is an old concept. Best Big 3 of all time?

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 03:37 PM
People have made so much about the Heat and their big 3 signings last year. Now the Knicks are trying to do the same and people have their feathers ruffled. Almost every team in the NBA has had their own version of a "Big 3" who are the best of all time?

Lakers- Jabbar/Worthy/Magic?
Bulls-Jordan/Pippen/Rodman?
Lakers-Kobe/Shaq/Rodman?
Knicks-Fraizer/Reed/Bradley?
Celtics-Bird/McHale/Parrish?
Spurs-Duncan/Robinson/Elliot?
Celtics-Peirce/Allan/KG?
Heat-LeBron/Wade/Bosh?
Pistons-Thomas/Rodman/Laimbeer?

How about the best that never won a ring?
Heat-Wade/Bosh/LeBron
Knicks-Ewing/Oakley/Starks
Jazz-Malone/Stockton/Russell
Knicks-Houstron/Camby/LJ
Bulls-Rose/Noah/Boozer
Pacers-Davis/Davis/Miller
Magic-Shaq/Penny/Anderson

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Kobe-Shaq-Rodman played a limited amount of games together during the '99 lockout season. They did not win the championship.

For me, it's easily Kareem-Magic-Worthy.

J4KOP99
12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
West-Baylor-Wilt

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
West-Baylor-Wilt

If Baylor didn't break his leg at the beginning of the '71-72 season (playing only 9 regular season games), this probably would be the best trio to win a championship, since LA went on to win the title anyways that season. Kind of unfortunate Lakers finally got over the championship hump the season Baylor had to retire due to injury. :(

HouRealCoach
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
People have made so much about the Heat and their big 3 signings last year. Now the Knicks are trying to do the same and people have their feathers ruffled. Almost every team in the NBA has had their own version of a "Big 3" who are the best of all time?

Lakers-Kobe/Shaq/Rodman?
Celtics-Peirce/Allan/KG?
Heat-LeBron/Wade/Bosh?

Heat-Wade/Bosh/LeBron
Knicks-Houstron/Camby/LJ
Bulls-Rose/Noah/Boozer

I would much rather say Kobe, Shaq, and Rice... I doubt many would count that because LA was all about Kobe and Shaq and Rodman didnt even win a title with them

Dont you mean Frazier, Reed, and Monroe?

Elliot.. Really?

You have Heat listed TWICE lol under both categories

and The Bad Boys were a team and its sad that you dont even mention Dumars :facepalm::facepalm:

Noah, Oakley, Russell, Anderson arent stars lol and I hope you arent talking about Dale Davis lol

nickdymez
12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
lol@ Kobe, Shaq, and Rodman....

nickdymez

Lakers-Kobe/Shaq/Rodman?
Celtics-Peirce/Allan/KG?
Heat-LeBron/Wade/Bosh?

Heat-Wade/Bosh/LeBron
Knicks-Houstron/Camby/LJ
Bulls-Rose/Noah/Boozer

100% Fail

Captain Moroni
Other notable three star teams that did not win together

Trailblazers- Williams/Drexler/Sabonis
Nets-Kidd/Martin/Mutumbo
Raptors-Carter/Davis/McGrady

How about the Rockets big 3-Hakeem/Horry/Drexler

5ass
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
they all suck

HouRealCoach
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Nets-Kidd/Martin/Mutumbo

LOL!! Are you serious?

nickdymez
12-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Nets-Kidd/Martin/Mutumbo

Horry?

JordansBulls
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
MJ/Pip/Rodman played 3 years together and won 3 titles. However I wouldn't call it a big 3 as Rodman didn't make an allstar game any year with Chicago.

AntiG
Pretty much any combination of stars on the Celtics teams of the 50-60s > All others.

11 Championships say so.

flea
I think it's a toss up between Jabbar/Worthy/Magic and Jordan/Pippen/Rodman. On talent alone you would probably go with the former but the latter was definitely more successful, probably because they had the best 2 way player ever and one of the best post defenders ever, plus another HOF two-way player thrown in. The versatility of Jabbar/Worthy/Magic makes it a contest but the way Jordan's squad complemented one another makes them more impressive.

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I would much rather say Kobe, Shaq, and Rice... I doubt many would count that because LA was all about Kobe and Shaq and Rodman didnt even win a title with them

Elliot.. Really?

and The Bad Boys were a team and its sad that you dont even mention Dumars :facepalm::facepalm:

Noah, Oakley, Russell, Anderson arent stars lol and I hope you arent talking about Dale Davis lol

Players that are all-stars are considered stars. Trade Hornacek for Russell, but the fact is they did have three stars either way.

Heediot
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
MJ/Pip/Rodman played 3 years together and won 3 titles. However I wouldn't call it a big 3 as Rodman didn't make an allstar game any year with Chicago.

Agreed.

Heediot
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Players that are all-stars are considered stars. Trade Hornacek for Russell, but the fact is they did have three stars either way.

I wouldn't say Hornacek was a star. He is at most like a Caron Butler, very good.

Another thing The Pistons should have Dumars in their big 3. He is a HoF.

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM

I disagree Rodman helped every team he played on. Detroit/Lakers/Bulls all were so much better with him. Are you calling Chris Bosh better than Rodman?

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't say Hornacek was a star. He is at most like a Caron Butler, very good.

Dumars indeed should be included.

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Hornacek was the trade that put Utah over the top. He was a star

PhillyFaninLA
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Clarance Weatherspoon, Jerry Stackhouse, Vernon Maxwell

or

a close second Jabbar, Worthy, Magic

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Agreed.

Trade out Toni Kukuc

PhillyFaninLA
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

I don't totally disagree with this but I think

Jordan/Pippen/? would be more accurate. Whoever the third guy was on any of those teams would still work.

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Lakers-Kobe/Shaq/Rodman?
Celtics-Peirce/Allan/KG?
Heat-LeBron/Wade/Bosh?

Heat-Wade/Bosh/LeBron
Knicks-Houstron/Camby/LJ
Bulls-Rose/Noah/Boozer

Not sure rodman win in los angeles

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
That houston team was stacked.

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Kobe-Shaq-Rodman played a limited amount of games together during the '99 lockout season. They did not win the championship.

This is my top team also

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Cousey russell were tough

heyman321
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Bird McHale Parish

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Hakeem got his revenge on Ewing for the NCAA tourney

rurichie
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
J.Kidd,Carter, K-Mart

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Bird McHale Parish

This is why I started this thread, People are so upset at Miami but they forget the lakers Celtic both had Big 3 star teams and no one seems to hate them.

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
That team against the lakers...now that was fun to watch

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
That team embarassed my knicks every time

RIPSweetness34
12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Was a beast on D and led the league in rebounding. Whenever the Bulls were playing a stud post man they would stick Rodman on him to Eff up his world and get into his head. 72-10, 3 years 3 rings, nuff said. Only reason Hakeem has any rings is cuz MJ decided not to pay his bookies and go play baseball for a year and a half.

ShakeN'Bake
12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Elliot.. Really?

This.

jammastershake
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Moses Malone-Julius Erving-Mo Cheeks

Bos_Sports4Life
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Russell/Sam Jones won 10 titles together.....so them 2 plus either cousy or havlicek

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Maurice cheeks was a stud

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Oakley was an allstar, led the NBA in rebounding twice, and was in the top ten Az 6 times. He was indeed a start.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM

because look atthe forwards that were in the east at the time. rodman averaged like 15 rebounds a game during that time and had lock down defense.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
MJ/PIP/RODMAN are my choice though. 72-10 baby

Rocco Gandolfo
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Awesome threesome that flat out dominated the NBA

murf7
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
No One has suggested Wilt, West And Baylor.
They were pretty solid.

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Who would the Heat rather have, LeBronn Wade Bosh or Lebron Wade Rodman (In his prime?)

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
No One has suggested Wilt, West And Baylor.
They were pretty solid.

Total domination

Captain Moroni
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
because look atthe forwards that were in the east at the time. rodman averaged like 15 rebounds a game during that time and had lock down defense.

Scoring does not make an allstar. Rodman was a stud, people think because he had no jumpshot he was average. The man was relentless. Without Rodman Bulls win 4 titles. not 6

numba1CHANGsta
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
If by best you mean most successful then its got to be Magic/Worthy/Kareem, they won three rings together in a span of four years, and each of the three won Finals MVP for the three years they won the championship together. A close second is Jordan/Pippen/Rodman who also won three rings together in a 3peat. Also the competitors of the 80's were far more great than the ones in the 90's.

mightybosstone
12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

No. No it wasn't...

mightybosstone
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd go with Magic/Kareem/Worthy probably. As far as the greatest trio to not win a title, I don't think I've seen Barkley/Dr. J/Moses Malone mentioned, which should CLEARLY be the winner of that award.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Scoring does not make an allstar. Rodman was a stud, people think because he had no jumpshot he was average. The man was relentless. Without Rodman Bulls win 4 titles. not 6

Didn't say it didn't, but again when I say look at the forwards that were in the east at the time, you had Pippen and Hill being voted in by the fans and they did deserve to be voted in as starters. the Bench isnt picked by the fans. So honestly, I dont know why he wasn't voted in.

Jint.
12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Jordan - Pippen - Rodman

shep33
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
If kobe and Shaq alone were better than some of those big 3's up there

blahblahyoutoo
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Heat-Wade/Bosh/LeBron
Knicks-Houstron/Camby/LJ
Bulls-Rose/Noah/Boozer

you are really reaching for a lot of these...

Bruno
12-02-2011, 06:35 PM

If Baylor didn't break his leg at the beginning of the '71-72 season (playing only 9 regular season games), this probably would be the best trio to win a championship, since LA went on to win the title anyways that season. Kind of unfortunate Lakers finally got over the championship hump the season Baylor had to retire due to injury. :(

Well informed new guy, nice. :cheers:

Bruno
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I think it's between MJ-Pippen-Rodman and Magic-KAJ-Worthy

Both triplets won three together. Can't go wrong either way.

mightybosstone
12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think it's between MJ-Pippen-Rodman and Magic-KAJ-Worthy

Both triplets won three together. Can't go wrong either way.

If we're going based on titles, no trio was more successful than Russell, Havlicek and Sam Jones (although you could argue other Celtics from the 60s teams). They won six titles together at the height of the Celtics' dominance and each earned at least eight rings during their careers.

Bos_Sports4Life
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Still no love for Russel/Jones/cousy or havlicek....

Tony_Starks
12-04-2011, 06:01 PM

He was leading the league and rebounding and making all defensive teams so yeah it was still a big 3. There is more than one end of the floor sir....

To answer the topic though I would easily say Magic/Worthy/ Kareem.

BudGrant
12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Ray Allen. Sam Cassel. Glen Robinson.

Maybe I'm joking.

Tony_Starks
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM

Exactly. If you watched the Bulls back then you know that Rodman was a integral part of that second 3peat. Giving MJ and Pip second and third opportunities, defending the best post player, having 20+ rebounding performances. Dude was a beast!

I love the way some Bulls fans try to downplay his importance to the team so they can act like Mj did it all by himself though. Fact is he had one of the best wing defenders and rebounders of all time on the same team......

JordansBulls
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
He was leading the league and rebounding and making all defensive teams so yeah it was still a big 3. There is more than one end of the floor sir....

To answer the topic though I would easily say Magic/Worthy/ Kareem.

Still didn't make the allstar team any year with us.

Tony_Starks
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Still didn't make the allstar team any year with us.

Oh yeah you're right, well that clearly indicates he wasn't that good. Not like there were flashy scoring more popular PF's in the east at that time or anything......

Bos_Sports4Life
12-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Exactly. If you watched the Bulls back then you know that Rodman was a integral part of that second 3peat. Giving MJ and Pip second and third opportunities, defending the best post player, having 20+ rebounding performances. Dude was a beast!

I love the way some Bulls fans try to downplay his importance to the team so they can act like Mj did it all by himself though. Fact is he had one of the best wing defenders and rebounders of all time on the same team......

Bulls fans do it all the time.

People also never mention the yr mj retired the bulls won 55 games (2 away from the season before WITH mj) and were a game away from the ECF..

People make it sound like he had no help, its sickning

JordansBulls
12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah you're right, well that clearly indicates he wasn't that good. Not like there were flashy scoring more popular PF's in the east at that time or anything......

I never said he wasn't good, but to say he was part of a big 3 when he made no allstar teams with the team and only made one defensive team through the years is flat out wrong.

JordansBulls
12-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Bulls were 38-9 the three years without Rodman and in the playoffs in 1998 Rodman was coming off the bench. We were 15-3 in 1996 w/o him, 23-7 in 1997 w/o him and 2-0 in 1998 w/o him.

Wade>You
12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
60s Celtics was pretty sick.

GhostfaceDrilla
12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
LMAO did you really include Rose, Boozer and Noah as a Big 3?

Chronz
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Didn't say it didn't, but again when I say look at the forwards that were in the east at the time, you had Pippen and Hill being voted in by the fans and they did deserve to be voted in as starters. the Bench isnt picked by the fans. So honestly, I dont know why he wasn't voted in.
Coaches hated him

Ray Allen. Sam Cassel. Glen Robinson.

Maybe I'm joking.
I liked that team

thekmp211
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM
^^ funny how glen robinson was probably considered the best player on that team at their peak. oops.

Chronz
12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
^^ funny how glen robinson was probably considered the best player on that team at their peak. oops.

You suck at this

smith&wesson
12-05-2011, 07:43 PM
if i could have any big three in their prime right now i would go with Jabbar/Worthy/Magic hands down.

smith&wesson
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM

lol bro how was glen robinson considered the best of anything when ray allen was on the team ?

thekmp211
12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
You suck at this

quoting?

How was glen robinson considered the best of anything when ray allen was on the team ?

at the time. ray ray wasn't always held in as high esteem as he is now and glen was a big-time name at the time. i think most people have wizened up by now.

edit: getting my big 3 threads confused

3RDASYSTEM
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
IVERSON-MCKIE-MUTOMBO

EWING-SPREWELL-HOUSTON just in case nobody mentioned'em

and just to think that 76ERS trio had a trip to NBA FINALS, weakest big 3 to ever rep the FINALS as a trio in history of NBA

smith&wesson
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
quoting?

at the time. ray ray wasn't always held in as high esteem as he is now and glen was a big-time name at the time. i think most people have wizened up by now.

edit: getting my big 3 threads confused

maybe because he was younger but he was looked at as a very talented young player who can shoot the lights out and back then ray ray use to throw down too. . when ever the bucks played my raptors back then i was like :facepalm: omg not that guy. i dont wanna see that guy shoot jumpers on us all night lol

bagwell368
12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Pretty much any combination of stars on the Celtics teams of the 50-60s > All others.

11 Championships say so.

Russell's ring years were in a league with 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 teams (and 12 and 14 was at the end). So winning a title on straight math was 1/3 or more easier back then many of those years.

BTW, there is no great Celts 3 some from back then. It was a team, with a the best Coach and GM. The Celts 80's or '08 big three was better then any Russell combo.

NFLNBA
12-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Shaq, Kobe, Glen Rice

NFLNBA
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
How about big 4 never to win championship

Shaq, Kobe, Payton, Malone................Malone being hurt and not playing killed them though

ne3xchamps
12-05-2011, 08:25 PM

11 Championships say so.

this.

/thread

lavilevi23
12-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Payton and Malone were to old to be part of a big 4 imo ^^^

theheatles
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
op sucks wang

Chronz
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
quoting?
You'll never know

thekmp211
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM
maybe because he was younger but he was looked at as a very talented young player who can shoot the lights out and back then ray ray use to throw down too. . when ever the bucks played my raptors back then i was like :facepalm: omg not that guy. i dont wanna see that guy shoot jumpers on us all night lol

its easy to forget now that glen was a #1 overall pick. lots of hype and to his credit he was a very good scorer for a lot of years. just didn't put together the career allen did.

yeah funny to think pure-shooter ray used to be a real athlete. could do a lot of the dribble.

best trio ever? i'll take jordan, pippen and the ball-boy. if we're really talking a true 'big three', i guess i'd go with russell, havlicek and, i dunno, sam jones.