PDA

View Full Version : Singler ditches Pistons to stay in Spain

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Cant really blame him...a top rookie over there,living in a beautiful European city vs sitting at the end of the Pistons bench. He can sign as a free agent in the NBA in a few years and sign with who he wants

ALICANTE, Spain (AP)—Former Duke star Kyle Singler plans to stay in Spain rather than join the Detroit Pistons.

Singler was taken by the Pistons with the No. 33 pick in the draft. He’s been playing with Spanish team Lucentum Alicante during the NBA lockout.

Alicante says it has agreed to sell Singler’s rights to Real Madrid. The club says the forward will join Madrid once the NBA lockout is officially over.

Singler will play for Alicante on Sunday before signing with his new team on Monday after medical tests. Financial details were not released.

Singler joined Alicante in August and has been the league’s top rookie, averaging 15 points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-singler-realmadrid

DLeeicious
12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
"ditches" is a harsh word. I and probably 100% of people in his situation that don't come from a loaded family would have done the exact same thing. It looked like no season, they gave him money = no brainer.

Avenged
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
He can sign back as a FA but he risks his stock to fall even more especially with him being a rookie who hasn't proved he can play at the NBA level.

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
He can sign back as a FA but he risks his stock to fall even more especially with him being a rookie who hasn't proved he can play at the NBA level.

or it could rise..averaging 15 as a rookie is pretty good

DLeeicious
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM

He could just as easily play ****** in the NBA as he could overseas. Either scenario has him losing value. At least playing where he is now he is getting paid more money (and was getting paid period during the lockout). It's definitely in his best interest.

ragee
12-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Why can he sign as a FA with any team? Because of the lockout, rights of the teams of their picks have been voided?

Celticsfan2007
12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

If you want to get paid at the NBA level, you have to proves you can play at the NBA level. Playing oversees is great experience, but hes not getting a payday until he produces in the NBA.

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Why can he sign as a FA with any team? Because of the lockout, rights of the teams of their picks have been voided?

I think after 3 yrs he can return when his rookie contract would have been up

mttwlsn16
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM

no, when he comes back he belongs to the pistons

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
If you want to get paid at the NBA level, you have to proves you can play at the NBA level. Playing oversees is great experience, but hes not getting a payday until he produces in the NBA.

Jenning played there for a year and stunk and was still a high pick..Singler could have wasted away on the pistons bench as a second rounder..he could make a name for himself over there

Sly Guy
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
typical dukkie. When the going gets tough, they run as far and as fast as possible.

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
no, when he comes back he belongs to the pistons

after his rookie contract would be up I believe...in a few yrs he can sign wherever like Rubio was thinking of doing

Avenged
12-01-2011, 12:17 PM

True. But seeing as how he's a No. 33 pick in the draft I'd put my chances on his value actually falling a bit. But you're right, you never know.

He could just as easily play ****** in the NBA as he could overseas. Either scenario has him losing value. At least playing where he is now he is getting paid more money (and was getting paid period during the lockout). It's definitely in his best interest.

It is in his best interest especially when there's a lockout going on. A 2nd round draft pick had the opportunity to make money overseas and took it, I think anyone would if we were in his position. If he wants to play in the NBA though, which I'm sure he does, it's kind of risky for a rookie.

Actually I'm not sure. I was just going by what the OP said. :laugh2:

ragee
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Actually I'm not sure. I was just going by what the OP said. :laugh2:

Oh... Ok... Hahaha... Well, unless the lockout did something to void the contract, I don't think it is possible for him to sign with an NBA team other than the Pistons. One good example that would support that is Fran Vasquez. He has been drafted by the Magic a couple of years ago. I can't even remember when so I am pretty sure that is more than 5 years now. If he decides to play in the NBA, the Magic still have his rights and he will ave no other choice but to play for them.

spreadeagle
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh... Ok... Hahaha... Well, unless the lockout did something to void the contract, I don't think it is possible for him to sign with an NBA team other than the Pistons. One good example that would support that is Fran Vasquez. He has been drafted by the Magic a couple of years ago. I can't even remember when so I am pretty sure that is more than 5 years now. If he decides to play in the NBA, the Magic still have his rights and he will ave no other choice but to play for them.

Really?? I thought people were saying Rubio could sign with whoever he wanted when his Minnesota contract would have been up...and ppl on the yahoo link were saying the same thing. Does anyone know the rule on that? so if he returns o the NBA in 6 yrs hes gunna have t play on the Pistons on a rookie contract?

ragee
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Really?? I thought people were saying Rubio could sign with whoever he wanted when his Minnesota contract would have been up...and ppl on the yahoo link were saying the same thing. Does anyone know the rule on that?

Do you have a link? Like I said I am not sure if the lockout has done something with that. If we base it on previous rules, then the answer is no. Rookies can't sign with any team other than the team that drafted them even if play overseas for a while. Another example of that is Koponen. He has been drafted by the Sixers but then traded to the Blazers in 2007. He played in Europe after being drafted. Before the lockout, his draft rights have been traded to the Mavs along with Rudy Fernandez. If what you are saying is true, then no such draft rights could be traded because it has been 4 years since he has been drafted and he could choose to sign with any team.

Gators123
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
He will make double the money in Spain and is playing very good there. Not surprised.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Really?? I thought people were saying Rubio could sign with whoever he wanted when his Minnesota contract would have been up...and ppl on the yahoo link were saying the same thing. Does anyone know the rule on that? so if he returns o the NBA in 6 yrs hes gunna have t play on the Pistons on a rookie contract?

rubio was a 1st round pick, first rounder get guaranteed contracts.

2nd rounders might get contracts if they prove they can play at nba level, otherwise teams just ditch them to europe or elsewhere but still have players rights.

ragee
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Another example is Arvydas Sabonis. He was drafted in the late 80s by the Blazers but only started playing in the NBA in 1995 or 1996. The Blazers had his rights so he played for them.

homestarunner93
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
The Pistons will still have his rights, he can't sign as a FA somewhere else.

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
The silver line is.

REal Madrid has offered him FAR MORE MONEY for playing a lot of minutes and developint his game than his Pistons contract would earn him to rot on a bench.

Then try to compare living in Madrid and living in Detroit and it becomes a No brainer.

detzfish
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I am a Pistons fan and i am happy he is staying over there because I am a big Daye supporter and want to see Singler get better but would prefer it to be not on the Pistons taking minutes from Daye.

Fresno
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Everybody saying Singler would rot on the bench must be unaware his only competition for a starting job at SF is Austin Daye & Jonas Jerebko.

This is a bad move. He doesnt need 1 year in Europe to "develop his game", he spent 4 years at Duke and was considered the most NBA ready senior in the 2011 NBA Draft. He slipped to Round 2 because of the questions related to his athletic ability to play SF in the NBA. Those questions wont be answered in Europe.

He risks coming back to the states next season on the Pistons who will have upgraded their SF position with someone like Harrison Barnes, and he becomes an expendable 4th SF.

Gators123
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
The silver line is.

REal Madrid has offered him FAR MORE MONEY for playing a lot of minutes and developint his game than his Pistons contract would earn him to rot on a bench.

Then try to compare living in Madrid and living in Detroit and it becomes a No brainer.

He wouldn't live in Detroit. Hell, the Pistons don't even play in Detroit.

Phenomenonsense
12-01-2011, 01:05 PM
We will always have his rights until he signs with us.

He wouldn't have sat on the bench with, hopefully, no more Prince, his play in Europe, and Daye's unimpressive growth last year. Jerebko plays the 4 four us, we actually may need a SF unfortunately.

Finally, he did not "ditch" the pistons. He was bought by Madrid, or whatever those Europeans do with players, days before the lockout ended. To have ditched us would mean that he had the option of playing in the NBA, but chose to stay in spain. He stayed in Spain because it looked like the lockout was going to be for the long haul.

ShakeN'Bake
12-01-2011, 01:14 PM

He wouldn't have sat on the bench with, hopefully, no more Prince, his play in Europe, and Daye's unimpressive growth last year. Jerebko plays the 4 four us, we actually may need a SF unfortunately.

Finally, he did not "ditch" the pistons. He was bought by Madrid, or whatever those Europeans do with players, days before the lockout ended. To have ditched us would mean that he had the option of playing in the NBA, but chose to stay in spain. He stayed in Spain because it looked like the lockout was going to be for the long haul.

Not sure how reliable this is or if it has changed but...

If the player is already under contract to, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary during the regular season while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q43

homestarunner93
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
SNB, you didn't even read the whole thing you quoted. The sentence after the one you bolded says "the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside of the NBA."

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM

sorry, but he has been sold to Madrid AFTER THE lockouts end was announced ( as a matter of fact he is still in Alicante until next week) because Madrid wants to replace the void that Rudy Fernandez is leaving.

And btw, in europe you CHOOSE where to go, if singler wanted to join pistons and didnt want to go to madrid then alicante couldnt have sold him to madrid.

ShakeN'Bake
12-01-2011, 01:26 PM
SNB, you didn't even read the whole thing you quoted. The sentence after the one you bolded says "the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside of the NBA."

Yes I did. I read more than just what I quoted.

I took that as meaning that they have the rights for as long as the player plays outside of the NBA but once he stops playing for a team outside the NBA the clock starts and they only have a year of his rights.

Meaning Singler could play in Europe for 5 years then take a year off from professional basketball and then sign any where in the NBA in the 7th year.

That doesn't really help him much though as it requires a year away from basketball.

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
under the OLD cba, if he stays one year with no contract yep they lose his rights.

but..... theres a new cba out there and NO ONE has cared to talk bout this issue yet so NONE OF US KNOWS JACK.

NYKNYGNYY
12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
:burn:

Phenomenonsense
12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
sorry, but he has been sold to Madrid AFTER THE lockouts end was announced ( as a matter of fact he is still in Alicante until next week) because Madrid wants to replace the void that Rudy Fernandez is leaving.

And btw, in europe you CHOOSE where to go, if singler wanted to join pistons and didnt want to go to madrid then alicante couldnt have sold him to madrid.

Right, which is why I read about this happening two days before the lock out ended? Perhaps he could've backed out of the deal, but that's bad for his stock as a player and he's getting paid more anyway? He may have actually been sold after the lockout ended, but he was in agreement before it ended.

NYKalltheway
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Right, which is why I read about this happening two days before the lock out ended? Perhaps he could've backed out of the deal, but that's bad for his stock as a player and he's getting paid more anyway? He may have actually been sold after the lockout ended, but he was in agreement before it ended.

Crooner is trying to say that it was his choice, not the team's choice ;)

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Madrid was talking to his agent because they knew lockout was bout to be over and that rudy would have to walk to dallas.

Once it was official they made the deal.

But SIngler has been always in control of is decision, he had an optout in his alicante contract, if he wanted to report to detroit he would have not signed to madrid, easy as that.

Singler Ditched the Pistons, easy as that.

TO to the CHI
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Madrid was talking to his agent because they knew lockout was bout to be over and that rudy would have to walk to dallas.

Once it was official they made the deal.

But SIngler has been always in control of is decision, he had an optout in his alicante contract, if he wanted to report to detroit he would have not signed to madrid, easy as that.

Singler Ditched the Pistons, easy as that.

I am going to go ahead and assume that you are correct. CONGRATULATIONS! You're "superior" system in Europe and incredible living conditions in Spain have caused the NBA to lose one whole bench player to Madrid by his own choice after the lockout ended. The NBA is in serious trouble. The mass exodus is coming. I can't wait to read about all of the superstars who are going to follow Singler to Spain. I hope the Pistons can field a team next year, they obviously won't have a bench with all of the significant departure() they have taken.

Oh wait, despite the meritless vitriol that you have been spewing for the past few months, the NBA players have overwhelmingly voted with their feet. They prefer the NBA. They prefer living in America. They prefer the contracts here (and paying taxes too). They prefer what they have been offered. And what you were selling failed to attract anyone relevant. If you had any dignity, I assume it would be hurting.

Gators123
12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I am going to go ahead and assume that you are correct. CONGRATULATIONS! You're "superior" system in Europe and incredible living conditions in Spain have caused the NBA to lose one whole bench player to Madrid by his own choice after the lockout ended. The NBA is in serious trouble. The mass exodus is coming. I can't wait to read about all of the superstars who are going to follow Singler to Spain. I hope the Pistons can field a team next year, they obviously won't have a bench with all of the significant departure() they have taken.

Oh wait, despite the meritless vitriol that you have been spewing for the past few months, the NBA players have overwhelmingly voted with their feet. They prefer the NBA. They prefer living in America. They prefer the contracts here (and paying taxes too). They prefer what they have been offered. And what you were selling failed to attract anyone relevant. If you had any dignity, I assume it would be hurting.

:laugh2: This is no time to be joking, Singler was the next Larry Bird!

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Despite your vitriol, if season had been canceled they woudl ahve come here.

And with teh new rules , made to make average salarys Lower, expect a lot of Middle of the road players, not great but not bottom of the bench to decide to earn more money in europe.

TO to the CHI
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Despite your vitriol, if season had been canceled they woudl ahve come here.

And with teh new rules , made to make average salarys Lower, expect a lot of Middle of the road players, not great but not bottom of the bench to decide to earn more money in europe.

There is no basis for either assertion you are making now. Your theories were debunked. Now you just sound like someone arguing the world is flat. The terms of the new deal are known to the players, if any hated it or wanted to go to Europe they would do so now. There simply isn't any mass exodus. The players who leave from this point on will be the same as past players (like Josh Childress) who simply couldn't get palatable deals in the NBA. There won't be any volume. And it is sheer hyperbole to suggest that if the season were cancelled anything would have changed. Players might have gone for one season just to have cashflow, but that could scarcely be described as such players "choosing" to play in Europe.

Your credibility was pummelled already. Your opinions were proven to be incorrect. I look forward to your continued protest without any basis or facts to support it. Why don't you just concede and move to the US?

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
There is no basis for either assertion you are making now. Your theories were debunked. Now you just sound like someone arguing the world is flat. The terms of the new deal are known to the players, if any hated it or wanted to go to Europe they would do so now. There simply isn't any mass exodus. The players who leave from this point on will be the same as past players (like Josh Childress) who simply couldn't get palatable deals in the NBA. There won't be any volume. And it is sheer hyperbole to suggest that if the season were cancelled anything would have changed. Players might have gone for one season just to have cashflow, but that could scarcely be described as such players "choosing" to play in Europe.

Your credibility was pummelled already. Your opinions were proven to be incorrect. I look forward to your continued protest without any basis or facts to support it. Why don't you just concede and move to the US?

My opinions were never put into test.
Season had to be cancelled, then the trial extend for 2 more years and have the dudes getting acustomed to being here.
Now lets focus on the season and the humilliation team Usa will get in London when they dont get gold.

TO to the CHI
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
My opinions were never put into test.
Season had to be cancelled, then the trial extend for 2 more years and have the dudes getting acustomed to being here.
Now lets focus on the season and the humilliation team Usa will get in London when they dont get gold.

Your theory was that Europe was more desirable. Period. The NBA does not need to cancel a season to allow players to determine what they prefer. The option exists. It always have. Players just don't choose it. Even European players like Marc Gasol use Europe only for leverage to get more money from an NBA team. You are making yourself sound more foolish with every point.

And as to the statement about London: I am not American, so it certainly won't be humiliating to me if the U.S. doesn't win gold. However, as a person with more than a modicum of common sense, I recognize that the U.S. is the odds on favorite for gold as much as you might hope otherwise.