PDA

View Full Version : David West To Warriors?

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Just this morning the league gave teams permission to start preliminary talks with free agents, and rumors are already surfacing about which teams are showing interest in some of the top guys. One promising sign for Warriors fans is that, while there are still major questions about how they will proceed, at least the front office hasn't been shy about throwing their hat in the ring when it comes to the top free agents. Rumors had already surfaced that the Warriors were looking to make a run at Nene (an option Warriors fans had been calling for since before the lockout), but now Sam Amick of SI.com is reporting via Twitter that the Warriors have also expressed interest in NOH power forward David West :

Source says Indiana, New Orleans, G. State and Washington have all expressed interest in former Hornets forward/2-time All-Star David West.

West may be one of the more sought after free agents this year, coming in at number four on Tom Ziller's Top Free Agent List , but he certainly doesn't seem like a natural fit for this Warriors team. He plays the same position as our highest paid player, and doesn't directly address any team needs, so you'd have to wonder why he might be on the Warriors radar. Maybe they are in fact considering using the amnesty on David Lee or Andris Biedrins , or maybe they are just doing their due diligence by contacting all of the free agent big men to gauge their interest in a move to the Bay. I'm sure this won't be the last rumor we hear between now and Dec 9, when free agency is officially under way. Hit the poll, and jump for Ziller's breakdown of David West.

4. DAVID WEST
Power forward, 31 years old, 6'9
Unrestricted free agent
2011 stats: 18.9 points and 7.6 rebounds in 35 minutes per game; 20.4 PER

West is on the older end of the top rung of free agents, but at 31 and given recent success for teams loaded with post-30 players, he's a big fish. The bigger question of fitness revolves around his ACL, which he tore last season and which required surgery. He appears to have recovered, but teams will want to be sure before laying out the millions.

New Orleans needs to keep West or Carl Landry, lest the Aaron Gray Era get too out of hand. Don't forget that with Landry, the Hornets pushed the L.A. Lakers hard in the playoffs. N.O. GM Dell Demps won't forget, and he doesn't have a lengthy relationship with West, the team's longest-tenured player. All the sentimentalism will come from West, fans and Chris Paul , whose opinion certainly should matter.

On the court, West is the prototype face-up four, a confident shooter who can take most defenders off the dribble. He draws fouls pretty well (about five per game) and shoots 80 percent from the line. He's not nearly as efficient as Nene or Chandler, but he can also soak up almost double the possessions with above-average efficiency.

He'd be a great fit on a team looking to make a championship run within about three years. The Pacers and Nets are reportedly in the mix. I'll let you decide if they fit the criteria.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2011/11/30/2600988/rumor-david-west-to-the-warriors-golden-state-expressing-interest-in

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Good possibility, indeed if Lee is a potential amnesty candidate. Can West play center?

Lloyd Christmas
12-01-2011, 02:28 AM
I doubt it. He's small for a PF.

djeller1139
12-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Ugh. No way. We need a CENTER.

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Well, what if we amnesty Lee and sign West?

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Well, what if we amnesty Lee and sign West?

Lee rebounds better than West, West has better inside game. Im not sure if west is a defender. Also west is coming off a torn ACL... and he is 4 yrs older than Lee.

COOLbeans
12-01-2011, 02:57 AM
mackshock, why do you want to amnesty David Lee?

BrandoCommando
12-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Good possibility, indeed if Lee is a potential amnesty candidate. Can West play center?

Is Don Nelson the coach?

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 03:05 AM
mackshock, why do you want to amnesty David Lee?

68 million dollars/5 years.... to make it short and to the point

COOLbeans
12-01-2011, 03:15 AM
68 million dollars/5 years.... to make it short and to the point

tell me why david lees not worth between 11 and 14 million per year. there's a pay scale that they use to calculate each player's salary per year.

When you talk about millions of dollars, it's always going to seem like a lot of dollars. Who are you comparing David Lee to? What veteran player right now makes considerably less money than David Lee and is better than him?

And I'm talking like 2 million or less dollars than Lee since I think what you're saying is that Lee deserves less than 10 million dollars based on his career averages and how he's done thus far. i just want to know who we're comparing him to. And I understand he makes over 13 million dollars right now, but he didnt always make that each year.

robbnen#31
12-01-2011, 04:07 AM
The question I would have is how much cheaper would David West be than David Lee? Could we sign a center and David West with the money freed up my amnestying Lee?

djeller1139
12-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Amnestying Lee is dumb when we have a far worse player in Biedrins. Yes, Lee is overpaid, but not by THAT much, and he's undoubtedly better than Biedrins. Bring in a defensive center (Nene, Chandler, maybe DeAndre Jordan) next to Lee, and he may look better.

We need defensive help on this team everywhere, and if we surround some of our weaker defensive players with better defensive players, we may see an improvement as an overall team. Rudy Gay + a center would do this for us, and may free up Lee offensively and help him defensively.

Monta is beast
12-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Nene<Chandler<Jordan<West. We need a center!

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
tell me why david lees not worth between 11 and 14 million per year. there's a pay scale that they use to calculate each player's salary per year.

When you talk about millions of dollars, it's always going to seem like a lot of dollars. Who are you comparing David Lee to? What veteran player right now makes considerably less money than David Lee and is better than him?

And I'm talking like 2 million or less dollars than Lee since I think what you're saying is that Lee deserves less than 10 million dollars based on his career averages and how he's done thus far. i just want to know who we're comparing him to. And I understand he makes over 13 million dollars right now, but he didnt always make that each year.

Its hard to compare him to a specific guy right now, although david West was making a little less than 9 million a year the last two or three seasons.... David West is a more complete player, although david lees dirty work has more value than people think.

BTW- I think Lee makes around 12 million this year, the problem with David Lee is that in 3 yrs he will be making about 15 million a year. Thats the kind of money you want to pay your first or second best player on a very good team. David lee on the other hand is the 3rd best player on a below average team.

I actually like David Lee. He hustles all the time, hes a smart player and hes a great passing big man. I wouldnt use the amnesty on him unless I knew we could get both a center and a forward. I don't see the front office doing that.... but it would be a bold move. Unloading Beidrins makes the most sense.

Leandres_sf
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
The question I would have is how much cheaper would David West be than David Lee? Could we sign a center and David West with the money freed up my amnestying Lee?

I doubt it. I would imagine West is going to llok for big money. He walked away from $7.5 mil.

The idea behind using the amnesty on Lee is that 3 years down the road we'd have more financial flexibility.

Lloyd Christmas
12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Nene<Chandler<Jordan<West

Except the exact opposite of that

robbnen#31
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Nene<Chandler<Jordan<West. We need a center!

I think you ****ed up your greater than/less than signs.

Leandres_sf
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Except the exact opposite of that

LOL :laugh:

MackShock
12-02-2011, 04:20 AM
I think you ****ed up your greater than/less than signs.

this. lol