PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis For Rudy Gay?

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Rudy Gay and Monta Ellis may find themselves in different uniforms this season.

The Golden State Warriors are looking to re-tool their current roster for new head coach Mark Jackson. The Warriors drafted swingman Klay Thompson in the 2011 NBA Draft and are now looking to make room for their new rookie guard. ESPN NBA writer Ric Bucher reported on his Twitter that the Warriors have approached the Memphis Grizzlies for a Monta Ellis-Rudy Gay swap.

The Warriors feel that Gay would fit right into their starting lineup with PG Stephen Curry, rookie swingman Klay Thompson, All-Star PF David Lee and C Andreis Biedrins. The Grizzlies just signed Gay to a new contract last summer as a restricted free-agent and may be looking to rid themselves of a long and hefty contract for a shorter one in Ellis. The Grizzlies also have their center Marc Gasol, who is a free-agent on the market and will be looking for a big payday. They are going to have their hands full.

The trade makes sense for both teams. The Warriors get an instant upgrade at SF and a starting five that could make some noise in the Western Conference. The Grizzlies get cap relief, a much shorter contract, and can give Marc Gasol the big check he is looking for, seeing as how many teams are interested in his services. It will be interesting to see if this trade follows through.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980842387

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:20 AM
I know its been long rumored, but i thought I'd post it again. Seems to make sense for the Warriors, as we would have a huge back court, whether its Wright or Thompson.

Will Thompson hinder our chances for the playoffs as a rookie starting two guard?

Or would we starting Dorell and have a 6'8 6'9 shooting guard?

Dorell proved he can play last season, and I dont think we should have him on the bench. Would make sense to start him and have Klay get 15 minutes or so to relieve Dorell, cuz we cant have him run 48 minutes.

Klay can also relieve Gay of minutes at the 3.

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Another thinking point:

Since the Grizz are basically unloading Gay, would we have cap room to pay him AND David Lee?

I dont know the numbers to Gay's contract, but it might make sense to amnesty David Lee or trade him elsewhere if we are going to acquire Gay.

BrandoCommando
12-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Id much rather trade Ellis for a legit C. Who that C may be, I don't know.

Lloyd Christmas
12-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I really hope Riley gets this done.

Public Enemy #1
12-01-2011, 02:31 AM
No, trade doesn't make any sense. Gay isn't anywhere near the level of Ellis on offense and will hinder it more than Smart did last season. Dumb trade. Should amnesty Biedrins and sign Nene

djeller1139
12-01-2011, 02:32 AM
We'd have to get rid of Bell as well or Biedrins.

I don't get why we beat around the bush: just Amnesty Biedrins and be done with it.

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Id much rather trade Ellis for a legit C. Who that C may be, I don't know.

#1 rule in basketball is never trade a legit center for a guard..

So I cant see this happening. Only way I can is if someone desperately needs a SG, and trades a legit center because they have either drafted or are on the cusp of signing another one.

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:36 AM
No, trade doesn't make any sense. Gay isn't anywhere near the level of Ellis on offense and will hinder it more than Smart did last season. Dumb trade. Should amnesty Biedrins and sign Nene

Not really a dumb trade. Gay is an upgrade on defense. He is also a freak athlete isnt too shabby on the offensive end. It's not like he has NO offensive game. It definitely would not hinder the team with Gay. Only financially speaking.

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 02:37 AM

I don't get why we beat around the bush: just Amnesty Biedrins and be done with it.

they wont use it on beidrins until they are certain they have another center lined up to come here. Atleast thats what I heard. To even think about using something this powerful on a contract like charlie bell would show a complete lack of grasping the value of this tool.

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:37 AM

Makes much more sense to amnesty Biedrins or Lee if we will trade for Gay. However, if we amnesty Lee, it leaves us with NO bigmen, unless we can sign Nene or David West

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 02:43 AM

LOl are you kidding me? The only thing that makes me hesitate on this is Gays contract and the fact that his team played better without him during the playoffs.

Gay is all star talent..... Im a huge fan of monta ellis, and would rather keep him than get anything less than a topnotch talent... but a rudy gay trade wouldnt bother me too much.

I'm not sure what trading for gay has to do with using the amnesty on beidrins. I'm pretty sure both things are possible LOL.

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Makes much more sense to amnesty Biedrins or Lee if we will trade for Gay. However, if we amnesty Lee, it leaves us with NO bigmen, unless we can sign Nene or David West

LOL if we amnesty Lee, we might need to get BOTH West and nene

MackShock
12-01-2011, 02:49 AM
LOL if we amnesty Lee, we might need to get BOTH West and nene

This is impossible is we acquire Gay..:(

MackShock
What am i talking about, Udoh can start at PF if we sign Nene..we dont need West :)

likemystylez
Not really a dumb trade. Gay is an upgrade on defense. He is also a freak athlete isnt too shabby on the offensive end. It's not like he has NO offensive game. It definitely would not hinder the team with Gay. Only financially speaking.

20 ppg on 47% fg, 39% 3pt, and over 80% line. Just 25 yrs old.... gay is a stud. Phisically matches up well with any wing player in basketball for the next 6 or 7 yrs!. ... yeah a guy like that would bring us down

Lloyd Christmas
12-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Thank you stylez. Saved me some typing. Gay also pairs well with Curry where Monta does not. I love Monta and there are very few players I would trade him for. Gay is a superstar type talent. Get it done.

BlazeIlluminati
12-01-2011, 03:17 AM
IF we traded for Gay, that would probably all but assure that Biedrins would get be the amnesty clause waiver, unless Memphis took on Bell's contract as well with ellis for Gay. We wouldnt have enough room under the cap to sign a legitimate big man if we traded for Gay (i believe he makes $14 mil? compared to ellis $11 mil?) unless we unload Biedrins contract.

Currently, i believe were about 6-7 mil under the cap, with a possible extra 4 mil that can be gained if we amnesty'd bell, or an extra 9 mil gained if we amensty'd biedrins. Gay i believe makes 3 more mil than ellis, eating into the 6-7 mil cap we have

Thats the only minor concern i would have. Otherwise, i do think the trade makes real good sense for both teams, as much as we would hate seeing ellis go. It improves us significantly defensively and rebounding wise, but we lose are main scoring punch. However, scoring a lot hasnt been leading to many victories, hence, the team needing to change its M.O

recap5
12-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Id do this trade is a heartbeat. Gay is the more complete player.

robbnen#31
12-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I have seen Gay play, but they weren't games that I was paying a whole lot of attention to. Is he more suited to play the 2 or 3?

djeller1139
12-01-2011, 04:21 AM
He plays the 3.

And to amnesty Charlie Bell would be a complete waste. We need to amnesty Biedrins or Lee eventually, don't waste it on Bell (and don't waste time, just cut Biedrins already).

Monta is beast
12-01-2011, 04:54 AM
He plays the 3.

And to amnesty Charlie Bell would be a complete waste. We need to amnesty Biedrins or Lee eventually, don't waste it on Bell (and don't waste time, just cut Biedrins already).

Curry-Law
Wright-Thompson
Gay-Thorton
Lee-Amundson
Udoh-Tyler

tadmanny
12-01-2011, 06:04 AM

I agree. How much longer can you wait for the guy to turn around. He has no offensive game and has turned into a *****. Idk how in the world you can pass up the opportunity to get rid of this sack of ****! if we trade monta for gay, and sign deandre jordan, this teams not far off. Id say wed finish around 6 in the west.

Curry
Wright
Gay
Lee
Jordan

We lose Monta, but get HUGE on defense. Our rebounding and length will compliment curry and lees deficiencies. Wow, that'd be great.

Monta is beast
12-01-2011, 06:16 AM
I agree. How much longer can you wait for the guy to turn around. He has no offensive game and has turned into a *****. Idk how in the world you can pass up the opportunity to get rid of this sack of ****! if we trade monta for gay, and sign deandre jordan, this teams not far off. Id say wed finish around 6 in the west.

Curry
Wright
Gay
Lee
Jordan

We lose Monta, but get HUGE on defense. Our rebounding and length will compliment curry and lees deficiencies. Wow, that'd be great.

:clap:

likemystylez
12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Curry
Wright
Gay
Lee
Jordan

That's kind of the only problem with getting Gay, I dont think wright is really a 2 guard either. If we got Gay, would it make sense to look to trade wright for a 2 guard?... or would Klay Thompson be ready to step in? Man- it would be nice to have a healthy azabuikee on the roster right now.

BKLYNpigeon
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Rudy Gay will solidify the defense on the Warriors, Think about how long we can be. I dont think It will be a straight up deal, ellis for gay. its going to take a draft pick or ekpe to sweeten the deal.

why are you guys all worried about the cap space? if Lacob wants to be a player in this league you really have to go into luxury tax. Name one team that won an NBA championship in the last 10-15 years that wasnt over the salary cap? none.

Leandres_sf
12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
The trade makes sense, it would help us on Defense, but Gay makes too much money. If this trade were to go down, I think they'd have to take a serious look at using the amnesty of Lee or Biedrins...I'm just not sure that'll happen.

Monta is beast
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
That's kind of the only problem with getting Gay, I dont think wright is really a 2 guard either. If we got Gay, would it make sense to look to trade wright for a 2 guard?... or would Klay Thompson be ready to step in? Man- it would be nice to have a healthy azabuikee on the roster right now.

We could re-sign Williams to a one year contract and split time between Williams and Wright, and give Wright some minutes at SF.

Monta is beast
12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
The trade makes sense, it would help us on Defense, but Gay makes too much money. If this trade were to go down, I think they'd have to take a serious look at using the amnesty of Lee or Biedrins...I'm just not sure that'll happen.

He only makes three more then Ellis, which we will make up when we amnesty Bell.

Leandres_sf
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
He only makes three more then Ellis, which we will make up when we amnesty Bell.

I'm referring to down the road...longer contract and he and he and Lee will both be making more then. This move would limit future moves.

ODdFUTUrE49
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
We hear all these talks about Rudy Gay, but how would this work financially for the Grizzlies? Would the Warriors still have a shot at Nene or any center? The Griz seem to currently be in their own dilemma with either keeping Gasol or Gay with all the money they will pay Gay and the ridiculous contract Randolph and Conley got, seems as if they need to choose and Center is the way I see them going, especially after the*
success they had without Gay in the postseason so would they even be able to pay Monta his money?

robbnen#31
12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
We hear all these talks about Rudy Gay, but how would this work financially for the Grizzlies? Would the Warriors still have a shot at Nene or any center? The Griz seem to currently be in their own dilemma with either keeping Gasol or Gay with all the money they will pay Gay and the ridiculous contract Randolph and Conley got, seems as if they need to choose and Center is the way I see them going, especially after the*
success they had without Gay in the postseason so would they even be able to pay Monta his money?

Rudy Gay makes 4 million more a year than Monta, so we would actually have to throw in somebody else (Bell, Wright, or Udoh) to make the trade work.

BKLYNpigeon
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Rudy Gay makes 4 million more a year than Monta, so we would actually have to throw in somebody else (Bell, Wright, or Udoh) to make the trade work.

we could trade Monta for Gay strait up and absorb the difference in money, since we are 5-6 million under the cap. Memphis would save some money and resign Gasol

Then we could amnesty Biedrins and get a Center.

ODdFUTUrE49
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Good stuff guys. Now I got a clear head of how this deal may potentially work.

MackShock
12-02-2011, 04:15 AM
let me make this clear..there is no way we amnesty bell..if anything we trade him along with monta to memphis.

his expiring contract is attractive

Monta is beast
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Is this a legit rumor? Because we have heard this for over a year now, nothings changed.

BKLYNpigeon
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Memphis has ALWAYS coveted Monta Ellis for some reason. Maybe its because Ellis is from the area and lives in Memphis in the offseason. Ellis is a pure scorer, and would definitely help Memphis and their offensive lapses. If Memphis traded for Ellis straight up they can free up about 4-5 million which they need to secure Marc Gasol.

Talks have resurfaced because Jerry West has ties to Memphis and loves Rudy Gay. I dont have to get into how Gay will help this team, because you know what he will bring to this team.

BKLYNpigeon
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
TK, Tim Kawakami had a great write up about the Warriors and Free Agency. he mentioned that New Orleans called the Warriors and is interested in Curry for CP3 deal.

We probably cant get CP3 to sign an extension with our current team, but if we made a few moves we could make it enticing.

- Trade Curry + filler for CP3
- Trade Monta for Gay
- Sign Chandler or Nene
- Amnesty Biedrins

we would be over the cap, but with this team, you should be willing to go over the cap.
Lakers are 20 million over the cap, you have to go over to compete to compete with the big boys. its plausable, but it probably wont happen. But if the Warriors can pull off a trade like the Celtics did with Garnett, it would be amazing.

CP3
Wright
Gay
Lee
Chandler

thats a solid #4 seed in the playoffs.

likemystylez
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
TK, Tim Kawakami had a great write up about the Warriors and Free Agency. he mentioned that New Orleans called the Warriors and is interested in Curry for CP3 deal.

We probably cant get CP3 to sign an extension with our current team, but if we made a few moves we could make it enticing.

- Trade Curry + filler for CP3
- Trade Monta for Gay
- Sign Chandler or Nene
- Amnesty Biedrins

we would be over the cap, but with this team, you should be willing to go over the cap.
Lakers are 20 million over the cap, you have to go over to compete to compete with the big boys. its plausable, but it probably wont happen. But if the Warriors can pull off a trade like the Celtics did with Garnett, it would be amazing.

CP3
Wright
Gay
Lee
Chandler

thats a solid #4 seed in the playoffs.

curry and a filler for cp3? That filler for starters would have to make north of 10 million dollars just to make this possible. Also, new orleans is going to want something significantly more than curry.... not a salary dump or they might as well just wait for paul to leave in the summer and use his cap room on something else.

Also wright is not a 2 guard, never has been.

Chris paul leaves and this thing falls apart.

This would have to be a 3 way, maybe even a 4 way trade because there are so many obsticles. I dont see paul ending up in Golden State.... which makes it unlikely that the warriors push to hard to trade curry. Also- I dont know if riley has the brain power to engineer such a move. His big off seasons are getting devean George and Mikki Moore.

Monta is beast
12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, dont get your hopes up off CP3 coming to the Warriors. But still, it shows you how much teams around the league think of Curry.

likemystylez
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Memphis has ALWAYS coveted Monta Ellis for some reason. Maybe its because Ellis is from the area and lives in Memphis in the offseason. Ellis is a pure scorer, and would definitely help Memphis and their offensive lapses. If Memphis traded for Ellis straight up they can free up about 4-5 million which they need to secure Marc Gasol.

Talks have resurfaced because Jerry West has ties to Memphis and loves Rudy Gay. I dont have to get into how Gay will help this team, because you know what he will bring to this team.

if they go after rudy gay.... do the warriors look to deal wright? or who starts at the 2? Klay Thompson? a re-signed Reggie Williams (I thought he was in china?).

I like the idea of getting Rudy Gay, but a shuffle would have to take place.... I dont think wright is a starting 2 guard.

likemystylez
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, dont get your hopes up off CP3 coming to the Warriors. But still, it shows you how much teams around the league think of Curry.

well it just shows they like curry, doesnt mean they are willing to trade cp3 for him. LOL they might have offered Jarret jack and quincy pondexter or something.

BKLYNpigeon
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Its because the Warriors are a lame duck organization that makes bad moves. other teams are just trying to get the Warriors to repeat their History.

I know we cant get CP3, but its a nice thought. Curry is BETTER then anything the Knicks can offer. Warriors need to make some moves. with this current roster were competing for the 10th seed again.

BKLYNpigeon
12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
if the warriors traded Ellis for Gay, theres plenty of options for the 2 spot.

Jason Richardson can still play, he is only 30 years old.
Marco Bellinelli, coming of a good year
Shannon Brown, versatile

The Warriors should go after Deandre Jordon for Center. it would be great to take a good player away from your division rival. I think the Warriors and Clippers would probably be fighting for the 8th seed in the west.

lmeas11
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
No thanks to trade.

Haha.

MackShock
12-02-2011, 05:44 PM
curry and a filler for cp3? That filler for starters would have to make north of 10 million dollars just to make this possible. Also, new orleans is going to want something significantly more than curry.... not a salary dump or they might as well just wait for paul to leave in the summer and use his cap room on something else.

Also wright is not a 2 guard, never has been.

Chris paul leaves and this thing falls apart.

This would have to be a 3 way, maybe even a 4 way trade because there are so many obsticles. I dont see paul ending up in Golden State.... which makes it unlikely that the warriors push to hard to trade curry. Also- I dont know if riley has the brain power to engineer such a move. His big off seasons are getting devean George and Mikki Moore.

"Where would thus team be without Mikki Moore?" - Bob Fitzgerald

MackShock
12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
if the warriors traded Ellis for Gay, theres plenty of options for the 2 spot.

Jason Richardson can still play, he is only 30 years old.
Marco Bellinelli, coming of a good year
Shannon Brown, versatile

The Warriors should go after Deandre Jordon for Center. it would be great to take a good player away from your division rival. I think the Warriors and Clippers would probably be fighting for the 8th seed in the west.

DJ has said numerous times that he wants to play for his hometown rockets.

but if chris tucker has taught us anything, it's that money talks. show him the green riley

WestCoastSportz
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I think fans will have to just forget about Nene. The Warriors aren't going to get him. Its not a matter of money, but Nene wants to sign with a contender and that last time I checked, the Warriors are far from being one.

As for Ellis for Gay? I'm not sure I'd do that either. I like Gay, but he's too much of a 6'8 version of Monta for me. The guy is a black hole when he gets the ball and does very little of anything else.

likemystylez
12-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I think fans will have to just forget about Nene. The Warriors aren't going to get him. Its not a matter of money, but Nene wants to sign with a contender and that last time I checked, the Warriors are far from being one.

As for Ellis for Gay? I'm not sure I'd do that either. I like Gay, but he's too much of a 6'8 version of Monta for me. The guy is a black hole when he gets the ball and does very little of anything else.

show me some quotes by him that say he is strictly looking to sign with a contender?Ive heard other rumors from writers like mark stein, rusty simmons and others that nene has considered the warriors (LOl whatever consider means??)

MackShock
12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
realistically..nene wont come to the warriors..but he has expressed interest in coming here so thats a start

Lloyd Christmas
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
"Where would thus team be without Mikki Moore?" - Bob Fitzgerald

Haha. The sad thing is I heard him say this a few times. Fitz is the worst.