PDA

View Full Version : Wizards won't be using amnesty clause on F Rashard Lewis

kntresistheheat
12-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Wizards won't be using amnesty clause on F Rashard Lewis, his agent Tony Dutt told Y! Sports. Lewis making $21.1 mil 11-12, $22.6 mill 12-13

I don't think this deserves its own thread, feel free to move it if needed? I can't find the free agent rumor thread?

hugepatsfan
12-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Smart move IMO. WAS won't be a big player anytime soon in FA IMO, so why not hold onto him and wait until he is a very valuable expiring contract (w/ the luxury tax penalties high teams will always be wanting to shed salary). Remember, they can always wait to do it too. You're going to have to pay him no matter what - this way he can maybe eventually be an asset.

LTBaByyy
12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Rashard Lewis at home: "Ahhhhh ****"

beasted86
12-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Makes a lot of sense.

If you are going to end up paying his contract anyway... why not force him to help your team win instead of somebody else's? If he wants out of his contract, force him to seek a buyout, and make him pay big.

Lucky.
12-01-2011, 12:48 AM

I had to laugh at this..

Ovratd1up
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Rashard Lewis at home: making $21.1 mil 11-12, $22.6 mill 12-13

Fresno
12-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Smart move IMO. WAS won't be a big player anytime soon in FA IMO, so why not hold onto him and wait until he is a very valuable expiring contract (w/ the luxury tax penalties high teams will always be wanting to shed salary). Remember, they can always wait to do it too. You're going to have to pay him no matter what - this way he can maybe eventually be an asset.

At $23 Million, there isn't any team who can offer back a player for that deal.

A $23 Million expirer will net you back 2-3 role players on bad contracts.

Wizards are better off buying out Lewis.

He is only going to take minutes away from their rookie Forwards in Vesely & Singleton who offer the defensive impact the Wizards desperately have needed at SF.

*Superman*
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM

:laugh2:

Cracka2HI!
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Makes a lot of sense.

If you are going to end up paying his contract anyway... why not force him to help your team win instead of somebody else's? If he wants out of his contract, force him to seek a buyout, and make him pay big.

Exactly. Most team won't use it because of this . They can also use the amnesty clause later, so if you're under the luxury tax and you're going to pay the player anyway, then why cut the guy? Now teams that can gain cap space may use it. I don't even see Travis Outlaw who has one of the worst contracts ever getting amnesty cut...yet.

llemon
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Rashard has a $12.6 mil buyout team option in '12-13.

DLCK
12-01-2011, 12:56 AM
At $23 Million, there isn't any team who can offer back a player for that deal.

A $23 Million expirer will net you back 2-3 role players on bad contracts.

Wizards are better off buying out Lewis.

He is only going to take minutes away from their rookie Forwards in Vesely & Singleton who offer the defensive impact the Wizards desperately have needed at SF.

Trade rules are lil diff under new cba. Money doesnt have to be as close as before. So maybe it can a lil easier

Mane
12-01-2011, 12:56 AM
damn shame.

Gators123
12-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Off topic, but did PSD crash for everybody or was it just me? lol

Wade>You
12-01-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think this deserves its own thread, feel free to move it if needed? I can't find the free agent rumor thread?No, this deserves it's own thread, along with :facepalm: and :pity:

I hope there's a good reason why. Only thing I can think of is they'll be severely penalized for being under the cap.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
save it for wall's max contract. Then take that off the books to build around him in his prime.

Mane
12-01-2011, 01:04 AM
using the amnesty actually would cost the team about 42 mil to get rid the 21 mil in cap space. team doesnt wanna spend that money. from what i understand..

Wade>You
12-01-2011, 01:06 AM
save it for wall's max contract. Then take that off the books to build around him in his prime.Why'd we have a lockout in the first place if not for team's wanting to reduce player salary? The amnesty allows the Wizards to spread Rashard's payments out over several years and someone can even bid for Rashard and help with the payments.

There's no added benefit to keeping Rashard; no team is going to give up pieces to take on that albatross contract. Unless the owners are back to their poor spending habits after all they cried about.

Sactown
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
using the amnesty actually would cost the team about 42 mil to get rid the 21 mil in cap space. team doesnt wanna spend that money. from what i understand..

The cap minimum is going to be 85-90% of the cap, so if they don't plan on getting anyone else in free agency then there's no point in axing him.. unless they want to get rid of him and fill up with poor players in free agency. it's a smart move. either wait till he expires and save your amnesty, or if you find a piece in free agency soon then ax him. Makes sense to me

Pierzynski4Prez
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Why'd we have a lockout in the first place if not for team's wanting to reduce player salary? The amnesty allows the Wizards to spread Rashard's payments out over several years and someone can even bid for Rashard and help with the payments.

There's no added benefit to keeping Rashard; no team is going to give up pieces to take on that albatross contract. Unless the owners are back to their poor spending habits after all they cried about.

Yea but the Wizards aren't exactly contending over the next 2 years either. Nobody in this FA class is necessarily worth wasting it over now when they can wait and see what lies ahead.

Sactown
12-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Yea but the Wizards aren't exactly contending over the next 2 years either. Nobody in this FA class is necessarily worth wasting it over now when they can wait and see what lies ahead.

exactly what I just said :D

Cal827
12-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Gotta admit, it's freaking funny that one of the so-so players with the huge contract that the owners were complaining about during the lockout, will remain on the team making a ton of money... LOL

Sactown
12-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Gotta admit, it's freaking funny that one of the so-so players with the huge contract that the owners were complaining about during the lockout, will remain on the team making a ton of money... LOL

Well they're going to be paying the majority of his contract either way, so you might as well keep him if you don't have a replacement player this instant

John Walls Era
12-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Off topic, but did PSD crash for everybody or was it just me? lol

Happens more often than you think

Supreme LA
12-01-2011, 03:54 AM
save it for wall's max contract. Then take that off the books to build around him in his prime.

What has Wall done thus far to deserve a max contract?? Isn't that how teams have been putting themselves in such bad situations. What happen to the days when players got the max after they were proven?? :facepalm: