PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lakers reclaim dominance in the West next year?

Wade>You
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Just wanna know what peoples thoughts are on the Lakers.

Wade>You
12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
I actually believe they're still the best team in the West overall, with Dallas having their number last year. They'll be back in contention, IMO.

CousinsEvansDUO
12-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Apart from an old kobe/gasol..they don't have a TEAM. OKC will be the best TEAM in the west this season.

PleaseBeNice
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
OKC will have the west this year, with the Kings coming in a close second ;)

Avenged
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
They're not the clear cut in the West anymore but they're still up there with the Thunder, Mavs etc..

You can't win them all every year, and back-to-back championships is very hard to do in itself. I think they'll pick it up again but they have stronger competition to face now.

Davidgta1
12-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Of course they can but lakers gotta watch out for OKC, they looked pretty good last year an there only getting better.

Crackadalic
12-01-2011, 12:26 AM
If they didnt have so many outside distractions like TV shows and music videos then yea there still a big threat in the west. Also remember they played in 3 straight finals before last season so they were going to be gassed come playoff time

chong2204
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
They will be fine......Maybe with a little help, with a D12 trade..

shep33
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
They were so annoying last year, didn't care as much as they should have. Artest doing albums and talk shows, LO making perfume and a reality show, Shannon Brown in music videos. We'll see what happens, they need fixes though.

29$JerZ
12-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Healthy Kobe makes them the best out West
If Pau isn't a complete waste this season they'll be much tougher

BKLYNpigeon
12-01-2011, 12:43 AM
LAL is always in contention, they will never have a problem getting free agents.

Cano-Montero...
12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Apart from an old kobe/gasol..they don't have a TEAM. OKC will be the best TEAM in the west this season.

LMAO:facepalm:

GhostfaceDrilla
12-01-2011, 01:00 AM
2nd best in the West behind Dallas but they could easily win it all.

DLCK
12-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Top2 team. Still can win it all. Weak at PG and back up SG ,C

evadatam5150
12-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Of course they can but lakers gotta watch out for OKC, they looked pretty good last year an there only getting better.

Because OKC has done so very much in the West to date...??? Really..??? Until that team starts playing some D they will always be everyone's favorite preseason pick without living up to the hype.. Smooth..

And no the Lakers have far too many gaps.. New coach, too many dudes over 30, they don't play defense anymore and they have absolutely no bench.. Oh and having Jimmy at the helm instead of daddy has been an absolute nightmare..

Hawkeye15
12-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Are the Lakers contenders? Um for sure. Are they the favorites in the west? Not in my eyes.

njnets825
12-01-2011, 01:40 AM
If bynum can stay healthy. If not, just a top 3 only.

Lakers + Giants
12-01-2011, 01:43 AM
2nd best in the West behind Dallas but they could easily win it all.

Exactly, people act as if the Lakers are Completely done since they didn't win it last year. We're already legit contenders, we just need a solid PG and another player to help out LO and Barnes of the Bench. People act as if Kobe is barely scratching 10 Points per game, he's still capable of averaging a good 25+ per game, especially with the knee procedure he got in Germany. Watch how people start being impressed next year when they get the 1st or 2nd seed in the west.

Sactown
12-01-2011, 01:43 AM
I think this belongs in the LA forum

venom518
12-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I think the Lakers can be still be the best team in the west. But with a shortened season and a new coach it's going to take a while. If Dallas loses Chandler to FA they won't be the same team defensively. I like OKC, but I feel they will take a step back this year, because I don't think the Durant/Westbrook relationship is as peachy as everyone thinks it is.

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
deppends on how long and unrully is Paus Beard this year.

The less he takes care of it the best Lakers will do.

Bruno
12-01-2011, 02:08 AM
deppends on how long and unrully is Paus Beard this year.

The less he takes care of it the best Lakers will do.

x2.

Sinestro
12-01-2011, 02:19 AM
They can, but I don't think they will

Ebbs
12-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Umm yea but if we retain Tyson I believe were the better team

Raph12
12-01-2011, 03:08 AM
Umm yea but if we retain Tyson I believe were the better team

If you retain Tyson, you eliminate your chances at signing D12/DWill in 2012...

Iron24th
12-01-2011, 03:17 AM
We're no longer the dominant team in the west,since Dallas and OKC are that good,but we can still win it all.

C-Style
12-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Yes I think they can still be dominant. its obvious that the West is not a land mind conference anymore.

C-Style
12-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Are the Lakers contenders? Um for sure. Are they the favorites in the west? Not in my eyes.

Champs are until proven otherwise

LA_Raiders
12-01-2011, 03:38 AM
yes, we will be back if gasol can grow some balls...

lakers4sho
12-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Champs are until proven otherwise

0-4 not a good enough proof? :cool:

Supreme LA
12-01-2011, 03:44 AM
They aren't the favorites anymore but I still feel that the road to Finals still has to go through LA. I expect to see a much better and much more efficient Kobe with healthy rested legs during a shortened season, but I also worry about our bench and the new coach.

This season is definitely going to be interesting to watch.

Tony_Starks
12-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Yes because they'll have two things they didn't have last year: a healthy Kobe, and a hungry team. Lakers half heartedly goofed off for an entire season last year and still were second in the west and got to the second round.

A focused Laker team with a chip on their shoulder is a dangerous thing........

GrandDaddyPurp
12-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Not with their current roster, big changes need to be made.

Supreme LA
12-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Not with their current roster, big changes need to be made.

^Says the Kings fan :confused: Nothing is wrong with the core group. They won back to back titles with that core. Get rid of Barnes, get another PG that can play D and shoot the 3, and work out the chemistry issues that will be had with the new coach and the new system and they will contend.

The road to the Finals on the West will still have to go through LA.

naps
12-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Still the best team in the west in my eyes.

ZHAKIDD532
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
They'll still probably win that division, but I don't think they're as good as OKC or Dallas (pending their FA moves). I just think OKC is way, way better defensively. A lot of teams in the league have really started to embrace defensive intensity like OKC has, and the Lakers just haven't done that yet as a team.

C-Style
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
^^^ ahhh Lakers aquired Mike Brown for 1 reason and 1 reason only! Defense.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
like some said they are always in contention, i think they are going to start showing their age quite quick here though. kobe is has taken so much of a beating his whole career i see him slowing down really soon( dont lynch me Laker fans, its just my opinion. i could be wrong) he has got a lot of mile on his legs and the lakers team is a bit soft. they still could win cause i dont see any other clear fav. usual suspects, MAVS, THUNDER. i see the west finally becoming the weaker conference in the near future. im sure an extra month or so off though helped some of those older teams.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 12:32 PM
^^^ ahhh Lakers aquired Mike Brown for 1 reason and 1 reason only! Defense.

but do you think they have the personnel to play Defense. i don see him getting out defensively with this laker team that he did with the Cavs. esp with Kobe, he is not going to exert himself at this stage of his career and still try to maintain as the scorer he is. i just dont see it. at this point imo its either going to be be D or offense for him and we both know which one is more valuable from kobe.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
^Says the Kings fan :confused: Nothing is wrong with the core group. They won back to back titles with that core. Get rid of Barnes, get another PG that can play D and shoot the 3, and work out the chemistry issues that will be had with the new coach and the new system and they will contend.

two years ago, that team is two years older now and soft as sharmen. i really dont know what him being a kings fan has to do with his opinion. one opinion i agree with.i thought it goes through Dallas now, but maybe i missed something:confused:. Bynum is puss, Gasol is puss, Kobe is the man, And Odom is sucking down now&laters on the Kardashians now. i personally am not to impressed with that core besides kobe ofcourse who is still probably top3-4 player in the league but not getting any younger. but thats why they play, who knows maybe they come out and smoke everyone, i could be wrong. lakers are still a force no doubt.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
They aren't the favorites anymore but I still feel that the road to Finals still has to go through LA. I expect to see a much better and much more efficient Kobe with healthy rested legs during a shortened season, but I also worry about our bench and the new coach.

This season is definitely going to be interesting to watch.

that could be a huge plus for you guys no doubt.

Gibby23
12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
two years ago, that team is two years older now and soft as sharmen. i really dont know what him being a kings fan has to do with his opinion. one opinion i agree with.i thought it goes through Dallas now, but maybe i missed something:confused:. Bynum is puss, Gasol is puss, Kobe is the man, And Odom is sucking down now&laters on the Kardashians now. i personally am not to impressed with that core besides kobe ofcourse who is still probably top3-4 player in the league but not getting any younger. but thats why they play, who knows maybe they come out and smoke everyone, i could be wrong. lakers are still a force no doubt.

How are they soft? I know people say Gasol is, but how are guys like Kobe, Bynum, Fisher, odom, Artest, and Barnes soft? Because they didn't 3 peat after going to 3 straight finals? Have you ever seen your team on a run like that? If not, the W's must be soft.

tbone2171
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
No

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
How are they soft? I know people say Gasol is, but how are guys like Kobe, Bynum, Fisher, odom, Artest, and Barnes soft? Because they didn't 3 peat after going to 3 straight finals? Have you ever seen your team on a run like that? If not, the W's must be soft.

LOL the W's are soft bro, we have made one playoff trip in 1 years. i thought that was obvious?LOL. they did it cause of there great offense and a coach who is probably the GOAT. so your going to sit her and tell me thay are a hard nosed team as opposed to a complete finess team. you have the two biggest flopper in the nba in Fisher( sucks at defense) and Gasol( screaming foul every time down court), is that tough? you have a Center who has no idea how to create his own shot, and gets 90% of his point on alley oops and can barley stay on he court cause he is always hurt, is that tough, you have another power forward who spends the majority of his game on the parameter, is that tough? Kobe is not a lock down defender get most of his steals in the passing lane, he is tough though ill give yo that not gonna hate on Kobe. barnes is streat fight tough but makes stupid mistakes all the time and metta world peace isnt half the defender he use to be and is hhe even going to be on this team this year? you can honestly say they are a tough group? they are tall as ****! so they get a lot of rebounds, but almost every guy on that team is a finess player. i didnt say they werent good they are very good but ya they imo are a pretty soft basketball team. well see if that changes with Brown i guess.

smith&wesson
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
A well rested kobe, gasol, bynam are gonna dominate a short season imo.

Hellcrooner
12-01-2011, 01:26 PM
LOL the W's are soft bro, we have made one playoff trip in 1 years. i thought that was obvious?LOL. they did it cause of there great offense and a coach who is probably the GOAT. so your going to sit her and tell me thay are a hard nosed team as opposed to a complete finess team. you have the two biggest flopper in the nba in Fisher( sucks at defense) and Gasol( screaming foul every time down court), is that tough? you have a Center who has no idea how to create his own shot, and gets 90% of his point on alley oops and can barley stay on he court cause he is always hurt, is that tough, you have another power forward who spends the majority of his game on the parameter, is that tough? Kobe is not a lock down defender get most of his steals in the passing lane, he is tough though ill give yo that not gonna hate on Kobe. barnes is streat fight tough but makes stupid mistakes all the time and metta world peace isnt half the defender he use to be and is hhe even going to be on this team this year? you can honestly say they are a tough group? they are tall as ****! so they get a lot of rebounds, but almost every guy on that team is a finess player. i didnt say they werent good they are very good but ya they imo are a pretty soft basketball team. well see if that changes with Brown i guess.

finesse wins championship too much to the pain of roid infested megamen hulks fans .

Gibby23
12-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Did you watch the first finals against the Celtics and compare it to the last one? Soft doesnt beat the Celtics in 2010. the Celtics ran through the higher seeds in the east that year because they were a tougher team.

king4day
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I think they can remain elite but they won't be as dominating as they were a few years ago. With Bynum likely suspended for a bunch of games to start the season, it will make it tough.

CousinsEvansDUO
12-01-2011, 04:28 PM

LOl you have the worst bench of all time. Fisher is a joke and I wouldn't take him for even a backup PG. he's more like a third option and you have him starting. Your Sf is a former shell of his former self. so is your sg and pf. and your center is too big of a fool to play dominant defense in the paint so all in all your team has become terrible no offense.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Did you watch the first finals against the Celtics and compare it to the last one? Soft doesnt beat the Celtics in 2010. the Celtics ran through the higher seeds in the east that year because they were a tougher team.

i understand what your saying, but that was also 2 years ago. a lot has happened in that time, and you cant deny the Lakers are two years older. they could win again im not saying they cant, i just think they are soft and it hurt them in the playoffs last year. but like i said its just my opinion, im no nba analyst expert or claiming to be. it just my observation, if they win then i would more than give them credit. i just see them getting passed up much like the Spurs are now( although on a much smaller scale), i think the spurs run is over.

goldenstater
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
finesse wins championship too much to the pain of roid infested megamen hulks fans .

thats true, showtime lakers won with Finesse! although i would much rather have james worthy and byron scott getting my back in a street fight than derek fisher and Gasol ill tell you that right now. i didnt get the last part though about the Roid hulk fans?

JordansBulls
12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
OKC and Dallas are the teams that can beat them. Memphis is one that can upset them. Outside of that unless the Clippers get another star, no one else will beat them.

Jewelz0376
12-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I voted yes, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that last year was a "fluke"... They lost to a better team...but if the Lakers comeback with a renewed fire on D add some solid pieces pieces....and a full season with Bynum (or d12 lol) I don't see why they couldnt...

amos1er
12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
OKC will have the west this year, with the Kings coming in a close second ;)

OKC barely made it past the Grizzlies even with all of David Stern's help. Don't overrate them, Durant still has another few years before he is considered a top five player.

C-Style
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
0-4 not a good enough proof? :cool:

Like I said! the CHAMPS(Mavs) are until proven otherwise!

lakers4sho
12-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Like I said! the CHAMPS(Mavs) are until proven otherwise!

Hmm misread your post. I thought you were referring to the Lakers.

Baller1
12-01-2011, 11:04 PM
OKC barely made it past the Grizzlies even with all of David Stern's help. Don't overrate them, Durant still has another few years before he is considered a top five player.

:laugh2:

3mikee_
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
West is "open" but Lakers can still regain dominance.. It wasn't really a fluke.. more so the Mavs just shot the lights out and the Lakers couldn't keep up.

Kobe needs help.. hopefully he gets D12.. Can't handle having Gasol as the 2nd option anymore... this guy is too passive sometimes.. and you just can't have that in the playoffs imo.

Cano-Montero...
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
LOl you have the worst bench of all time. Fisher is a joke and I wouldn't take him for even a backup PG. he's more like a third option and you have him starting. Your Sf is a former shell of his former self. so is your sg and pf. and your center is too big of a fool to play dominant defense in the paint so all in all your team has become terrible no offense.

but still better than your queens...lmao

futureman
12-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Next year the Clips will have D-Will, Howard and Griffin. The best big 3 in league history. The Clippers are going to take over LA.