PDA

View Full Version : Report: Thunder will release Nate Robinson

Fresno
11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Nate Robinson will be bought out by #Thunder so he can become free agent. They tried to do this before the lockout. Working on it now #nba

Just to clarify b/c I've been asked if a deal is done: #Thunder tried to buy out Robinson b4 lockout. Those talks likely to resume ... Robinson wants playing time. He averaged 3.3 pts and only played 4 games w/ #Thunder #nba

http://twitter.com/#!/jmikenbausat

Any teams interested?

He showed that in Boston he can be a productive scoring punch off the bench in a 2nd unit for a contender. He also showed in New York that if given a 6th Man role he can go off for 17 PPG in under 30 Minutes with some big time scoring games.

Im guessing he'll try to sign with a bad team that will let him play big minutes off the bench rather than a contender who will make him a backup.

The Wizards would be a good fit.

ChitownSports16
11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I hear he wants to play for the Heat.... :rolleyes:

PlezPlayDKnicks
11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
after the Thunder drafted Reggie Jackson he was a goner for sure. Hopefully he comes back to NY humble.

PlezPlayDKnicks
11-30-2011, 06:55 PM

He would be a good fit there tho.. LOL
Heat Fans should be hyped about Norris Cole tho. He fills a similar role. When the season starts they will brag about having the best young back up in the league.

GiantsSwaGG
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Who?

kblo247
11-30-2011, 07:00 PM
He would bring a new dynamic to the Lakers. Buss was supposedly interested with him after seeing him play versus LA a couple of seasons ago and tries to trade for him but could not make the deals work because of his contract structure. Lord knows he offers more than Blake and would bring a change of pace from Fisher as his sub.

Corey
11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
He showed that in Boston he can be a productive scoring punch off the bench in a 2nd unit for a contender.

he did?

MrfadeawayJB
11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
If he goes to Miami they have a 'ship in the bag.

xxplayerxx23
11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Teams that need scoring off the bench should be intrested to bad he doesnt play defense though. Explosive scorer, Bad attitude Not sure if he is worth much mayb 1 year deal

beasted86
11-30-2011, 08:00 PM

In theory he should be a better ball handling version of Eddie House, but I'm still really iffy on whether the Heat should even give him a shot if he really did want to come.

Rather see what Norris Cole has. Offense aside, I'm absolutely positive he's a better defender than Robinson, and that's what the Heat really need more than a bench scoring PG.

At the end of the day, I agree with the OP. He wants minutes and freedom, and he won't get that from most contenders.

Corey
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
He's not nearly the catch and shoot player house is.

justinnum1
11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Heat Fans should be hyped about Norris Cole tho. He fills a similar role. When the season starts they will brag about having the best young back up in the league.

Norris cole will be luck if he see's the court.

beasted86
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Norris cole will be luck if he see's the court.

I'm hoping you are very wrong.

I'm going to be pissed at Spoelstra if he gives Cole the Pittman treatment.

Big Zo
11-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Somehow I knew some little assclown was gonna throw this out. Hardy har har.

justinnum1
11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm hoping you are very wrong.

I'm going to be pissed at Spoelstra if he gives Cole the Pittman treatment.

I hope im wrong too, but spo is a mini-riley, and dont thin riley has ever let a rookie play on a contender lol.

John Walls Era
11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Hes a scrub (don't give me his NY days, he wasn't good there either) and this is probably the highlight of his career: a thread dedicated to him on PSD.

Iodine
11-30-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.dailythunder.com/2011/11/report-thunder-and-nate-robinson-working-on-a-buyout/#more-17363

The Thunder are working on a contract buyout of Nate Robinson, according to J. Michael Falgoust of USA Today. The Thunder evidently tried to get a buyout done before the lockout, but werenít able to. Once Robinson is bought out, heíll become a free agent.

Robinson is on an expiring contract worth $4.5 million for this season and is seen as a valuable trade asset for the Thunder because he can a) play and b) is $4.5 million coming off the books in 2012.

Some had seen Robinson as a potential amnesty candidate for Oklahoma City, but that never made a whole lot of sense considering his contract isnít massive and that it was expiring after this season. Once Robinson were bought out, it would free up a roster spot and a little bit more cash to work with in free agency. If Robinson were bought out how it normally works, most of that $4.5 million would count against the cap this year.

OKC would see 50 percent of any new NBA contract Robinson were to sign for this season removed from that $4.5 million cap hit. For example, if Robinson were to sign with the Hawks for one-year $3 million, OKCís cap hit would be for $3 million.

Why not keep him on and let him just expire? For one, the roster spot. It frees Presti to use it on a D-Leaguer he likes or even to sign someone. Secondly, you have to pay him less, presumably. And third, OKC doesnít need a fourth point guard. Robinson wasnít happy at all with his situation in OKC and with Reggie Jackson now in the mix, the Thunder donít have any plans for Robinson.

Since I am a firm believer that Sam Presti would rather be castrated than make a poor move, this makes sense.

I bet some team that had a low playoff seed last year will sign him and hope for a spark, but he just isnt that good anymore (and since his peak was a 6th man that saying something). He had a negative OWS last year, had horrid TS/eFG%'s with the thunder, and was worth less than 100 points per 100 possession on offense.

Mr_Amaziing
11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, I'm wondering who will take him..
It would be Niice to see Nate back in NY

Wade>You
11-30-2011, 11:18 PM
If we can get the Nate Robinson from Boston, I wouldn't mind having him on the Heat.

Fresno
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Hes a scrub (don't give me his NY days, he wasn't good there either) and this is probably the highlight of his career: a thread dedicated to him on PSD.

I dont buy that at all. Robinson can be a good player, its just getting his attitude in check that has been the issue. He couldnt handle his role being diminished by D'Antoni and felt he deserved to be a starter in New York. He was only sent to OKC as a throw-in contract, its not like they wanted him. When they gave him a few minutes he had 0 chemistry with their team or knew their sets on offense but he only played less than 5 games for them anyways.

It wouldnt surprise me to see him & Big Baby re-unite somewhere. They're good friends and had a lot of fun in Boston together as "Shrek & Donkey" on the 2nd unit.

jej
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Makes the trade to the Thunder look pretty bad. Kendrick Perkins for Jeff Green and Kristic... Not too good.

mjokc
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Makes the trade to the Thunder look pretty bad. Kendrick Perkins for Jeff Green and Kristic... Not too good.

Really sad how dumb people are on internet forums. The Thunder did not want Nate, that was simply a salary dump in order to get Perk. Jeff Green was on his way out regardless and we would not be re signing him. Boston saw how good Nenad was at defending anything that has a heartbeat. Please elaborate how that wasn't a good trade?

PleaseBeNice
12-01-2011, 01:17 AM
dude is a good guy but a pest

Cal827
12-01-2011, 01:21 AM
If he goes to Miami they have a 'ship in the bag.

Must be the titanic, cause that team would just sink. He would take too many shots away from the big three lol.

Mr_Amaziing
12-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Must be the titanic, cause that team would just sink. He would take too many shots away from the big three lol.

LoL, :)

Nate in Miami would be a bad fit, I would like to see him in NY or Orlando

NYKNYGNYY
12-01-2011, 01:40 AM
id love him back in ny, not sure how him n melo would get along lol...hes a great locker room guy

Corey
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
The definition of 'great' must have changed.

Bulls_fan90
12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
He dunked over Dwight so he must be good. Sign him Bulls!!!!!!

I would rather have TJ Ford as a backup pg.

AllBall
12-01-2011, 07:26 AM

I'd take him.

Knicks21
12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
The seahawks!

NetsPaint
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I dont buy that at all. Robinson can be a good player, its just getting his attitude in check that has been the issue. He couldnt handle his role being diminished by D'Antoni and felt he deserved to be a starter in New York. He was only sent to OKC as a throw-in contract, its not like they wanted him. When they gave him a few minutes he had 0 chemistry with their team or knew their sets on offense but he only played less than 5 games for them anyways.

It wouldnt surprise me to see him & Big Baby re-unite somewhere. They're good friends and had a lot of fun in Boston together as "Shrek & Donkey" on the 2nd unit.
Nate never complained about being benched by D'Antoni.

It's funny how all these analysts and posters say Nate was changed in Boston even though he didn't change, he just played for a better team with great veterans. He still showed his fun and all that on Boston, he just didn't get the minutes he did in New York since he was on a contender.

And he SHOULD have been starting in New York. Duhon was starting. DUHON

Chi StateOfMind
12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I have no clue where he ends up as long as its not on the Bulls.

Gram
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Although none of them knew who he was last year. ;)

GhostfaceDrilla
12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
He is complete garbage and towards the bottom of NBA players. He somehow managed to pull out 4 productive years with New York including a 17/4/3 year so I could NY signing him again.

mizzacNYC
12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
If you dont have MSG on your cable service, chances are you haven't seen Nate play enough to give an accurate assessment of his game. He didn't play in OKC and he got limited mins. in Boston.

When unleashed Nate is an incredible scorer. Very streaky so when he's off get him outta there. He also has everything he needs to be a good on ball pressure defender, quick feet very strong for a little guy, too short to alter shots though. Needs proper coaching in that area (D'Antoni's not the best qualified in that department and Isiah had his head up his u know what).

Comparing him to Eddie House as someone did earlier is like comparing apples and oranges IMO. Yes House may be a better spot up shooter, but that's all house can do. Nate has shown he has the range and is very capable of creating his own shots. He can penetrate the lane off the dribble with ease and is a problem for the defense in the pick and roll offense. Back-up PG is find for his skill set but scorer off the bench mainly at the SG position is what Nate was made for....

Baller1
12-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Damn. :(

I'm not surprised but this sucks.