PDA

View Full Version : TWC Deal: 25 years ~ $5 Billion

kblo247
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
But, um, how much are the Lakers all by themselves getting from Time Warner Cable for its new regional sports networks?

$5 billion.

I'd add a "Cha-ching!" sound effect, but no one is fitting $5 billion in any cash register.

That $5 billion is over 25 years or it'll be merely $4 billion over 20 years if the future option isn't exercised. It has been widely and wrongly reported as less.

Let's pause and appreciate how much money one club, starting next season, will get per year all to itself just from local TV: $200 million ...

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lakers-329235-billion-new.html

That is a big number. It really sucks that revenue sharing is going to let teams get two handouts from it. Still though this makes LA a player financially and helps the Buss family move from the millionaire to billionaire club finally, which is huge since the Lakers are their team and business, not a side hobby or secondary project like some other owners.

Posted this in nba forum as well. Thoughts?

kblo247
11-30-2011, 05:59 PM
So we now know that the team revenue brought in is essentially

$200M via TWC
$80M via Kobe (Buss said the number was what he has at least been worth annually)

Plus playoffs, merch, and so on.

Damn cap is stopping us from being the Yankees and this tv deal explains the Jordan's of the world trying to get a handout ia bigger revenue sharing while still getting back money for being under the luxury TWC threshold

lakers4sho
11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Good for thr Buss family, now I don't want any excuses as to why the Lakers can't field at least a competitive team for the next couple of decades. If the freaking heat can get any FA they want, why can'y we?

Chacarron
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Good for thr Buss family, now I don't want any excuses as to why the Lakers can't field at least a competitive team for the next couple of decades. If the freaking heat can get any FA they want, why can'y we?

I get what you are saying, but we still need cap space.

kblo247
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Or for the network to give guys reality shows to cover salary losses. They are a separate entity after all so it isn't illegal :)

lakers4sho
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Of course. But once Kobe's and Pau's and the rest of the guys's contracts run up, they Lakers shouldn't be behind other teams during the FA hunt, at least financially.

Anyone know if TWC peeps need another premium subsciption for this new Laker channel?

Chacarron
11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Of course. But once Kobe's and Pau's and the rest of the guys's contracts run up, they Lakers shouldn't be behind other teams during the FA hunt, at least financially.

Anyone know if TWC peeps need another premium subsciption for this new Laker channel?

An entire channel dedicated exclusively to the greatest franchise in the NBA? :speechless: That is awesome!!!

GREATNESS ONE
11-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Money ! Money ! Money !!

lakers4sho
11-30-2011, 11:40 PM
An entire channel dedicated exclusively to the greatest franchise in the NBA? :speechless: That is awesome!!!

Yes kind of like MSG for New York, but this is exclusively for the Lakers, which is why TWC is paying a hefty fee to the Busses. They will be given the right to broadcast anything Laker related on that channeel, including live games, replayed games, featured showss on current and past players, etc. The license costs a heckuva lot.

That's why I was wondering if they will pass on this enormous fee to their subscribers :(

Chacarron
11-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes kind of like MSG for New York, but this is exclusively for the Lakers, which is why TWC is paying a hefty fee to the Busses. They will be giveicense to broadcast anything Laker related on that channeel, including live games, replayed games, featured showss on current and past players, etc. The license costs a heckuva lot.

That's why I was wondering if they will pass on this enormous fee to their subscribers :(

I wish DirecTV would offer that channel. I love watching old Lakers games on youtube and I'm sure they will have a fair share of classic games on that channel.

lakers4sho
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
yes of course. I heard they will be offering the channel to non-TWC subscribers as well. They need as many people as they can get to cover the costs :p

Chacarron
12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
I will get the channel if it becomes available on DirecTV, there is no doubt in mind.

lakers4sho
12-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Who wouldn't? That's the only way to watch Laker games on TV when the contract kicks in. No more Lakers on Fox Sports West from then on.