PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Want Thaddeus Young?

sixer04fan
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I wanted to get an outside viewpoint on this from other teams and fanbases.

Thad Young is restricted FA, so the Sixers can match any offer. He is a good, young, athletic player with more upside to come, and also made some great strides last season under Doug Collins. Undersized for the PF spot, but can definitely cause some mismatches on the offensive end and was an unbelievable weapon for us off the bench last year.

Anyways, the Sixers seem intent on keeping him as they see him as a key part of the team moving forward. They've basically put it out there that they will match any reasonable offer to him. But I was reading on ESPN Rumors today that the front office is getting nervous that he's going to receive pretty lucrative offers from at least one team out there. His stock really did improve in the second half of last season.

I guess my questions are, What do you think of Thad Young as a player? Would you want Thad Young on your team? What would be the top offer you think he's going to get? Where do you see him ending up this season? Personally, I can't see him leaving the Sixers. He's a solid player but I really haven't heard any rumors of other interested teams yet.

GhostfaceDrilla
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Dude is a beast. Still only what? 24? I would love to have him as our future starting 3.

The_Jamal
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
He'd be very reasonable at a 6-8 mil contract and could start for a good portion of teams. What's intriguing about him is he still young enough to where he can still improve if he gets more minutes

spreadeagle
11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Raptors would love him..need a sf so bad and would fit great with Derozen Ed Davis Bayless...They have 7 mil to spend id be happy if they gave it to him lol

Chronz
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Clippers have a glaring need for a 3.

sixer04fan
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
The thing is, the Sixers have never really been able to use him effectively as a starting 3. They tried, but his handle and jumper haven't developed as well as we had hoped. While it definitely also has something to do with interference from Iguodala (whose natural position is a 3), Thad thrived more last year as a 4, where he could use his speed and athleticism to create mismatches offensively. But again, that created another problem, where he wasn't big enough to guard other 4's and is pretty ineffective in rebounding against other NBA PF's.

If you try to take him and plug him in as a starting 3, you might have problems. He's still young and has a ton of upside, so that could change. It's just a weird situation that he has so much upside yet his game was maximized the most last year as a backup PF.

Still, I agree with the general sentiment that he can be a great player in the league going forward. He will definitely get some decent offers from other teams.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I think almost any team would love a shot with him.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
He could get to the line more, and he shoots outside a bit too much for my taste while having a 38 % eFG, but other than that I really like his game. He is a hybrid player in the Josh Smith mold, though he isn't as disruptive on defense as Smith. But he is a piece worth keeping going forward.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM

please take Beasley.

Sadds The Gr8
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM

What's wrong with Aminu? isn't he supposed to have really good potential to be a sick defender and rebounder, kinda like a Gerald Wallace?

Chronz
11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
The thing is, the Sixers have never really been able to use him effectively as a starting 3. They tried, but his handle and jumper haven't developed as well as we had hoped. While it definitely also has something to do with interference from Iguodala (whose natural position is a 3), Thad thrived more last year as a 4, where he could use his speed and athleticism to create mismatches offensively. But again, that created another problem, where he wasn't big enough to guard other 4's and is pretty ineffective in rebounding against other NBA PF's.

If you try to take him and plug him in as a starting 3, you might have problems. He's still young and has a ton of upside, so that could change. It's just a weird situation that he has so much upside yet his game was maximized the most last year as a backup PF.

Still, I agree with the general sentiment that he can be a great player in the league going forward. He will definitely get some decent offers from other teams.
No SF no go

Chronz
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
What's wrong with Aminu? isn't he supposed to have really good potential to be a sick defender and rebounder, kinda like a Gerald Wallace?

Thats the best hope we have, I havent given up but hes still a question mark.

magichatnumber9
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Clippers have a glaring need for a 3.That would be unfair

sargon21
11-29-2011, 02:43 PM
^ not as much offensive game

comparing aminu to wallace

CousinsEvansDUO
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I would give you Garcia, Salmons, maybe Thompson and maybe 2nd round picks for him too.

Cal827
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Can we have him?

mttwlsn16
11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
hell yes i will gladly take him over ryan gomes

topdog
11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Clippers seem most logical as they need a 3 and he fits their athletic-freak style. I think it'd be worth the risk to them that he doesn't pan out at the 3 because they have the money, they have Kaman as a trade asset and they need a bench. Not to mention they have been playing Gomes who is a far worse 3/4.

topdog
11-29-2011, 03:13 PM
I would give you Garcia, Salmons, maybe Thompson and maybe 2nd round picks for him too.

Whatever happened to Thompson? He was the surprise/value steal of the draft for about a year and then completely fell off the map. Is he not even a valuable backup PF?