PDA

View Full Version : Lakers want Chris Paul & Dwight Howard

AlexTmz2
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
By: Matt Moore:

The Los Angeles Lakers have a championship core. This same group of players were responsible for two out of the past three titles, and even without the services of Phil Jackson, there's every reason to believe that this team as-is can win another title with Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Andrew Bynum as its engine. But what comes after? The Lakers have begun looking to the future. They don't just want to stay competitive towards the end of Kobe Bryant's career, they want to transition seamlessly into their next phase of dominance.

And that means acquiring one of the big free agents in 2012, Dwight Howard or Chris Paul. Except they don't want one of those two. They reportedly want both.

From Mark Heisler, who covered the Lakers as a beat writer before taking up with SheridanHoops.com:

When the NBA couldn’t get a full ban on sign-and-trades, it left his Lakers in position to pull off a coup they’re dreaming of, which would make signing LeBron James pale by comparison.

If Dwight Howard and Chris Paul wind up on the market — a safe assumption as far as I’m concerned — the Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum for Dwight and Pau Gasol for CP3, or vice versa.

Nothing says that they will be enough to land either player, but it should put the Lakers in the running for both.

Oh, and Dwight likes the Lakers. Asked which All-Star he would most like to play with last season, he answered “Kobe Bryant.”
via Lakers will look to acquire Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.

Just to review. We just had a five-month lockout because teams were upset about large market teams acquiring multiple stars, scavenging small markets and leaving them with nothing. And the Los Angeles Lakers and their 17 professional basketball championships are aiming for both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. Glad we lost those 16 games over this.

There are a large numbrer of reasons why this is unlikely to happen. For starters, Chris Paul reportedly has New York as his first choice. Secondly, the biggest advantage the Lakers have is the assets to trade for Paul which the Knicks don't have. But the new CBA does have one new stipulation to prevent such dealings, the extend-and-trade adjustments. While sign-and-trade restrictions don't take effect until 2013, early reports indicate that extend-and-trade restrictions are immediate. The changes say that the same setup that Carmelo Anthony used to get his way to New York and get the extra year on his deal via Bird Rights is different.

The changes to the CBA suggest that teams that extend-and-trade a player can only extend him for three, versus the maximum four-year extension or five year re-sign he gets for staying with the home team. The only way around that is a six-month waiting period. The Hornets could re-sign Paul to the full Bird rights extension and then trade him, but they would have to wait six months. But a more likely scenario would see the following scenario: the Lakers can trade for Paul in the final year of his contract and then extend him, but that must be done after six months. Which means, they have to acquire him six months prior to his free agency beginning on July 1. Which means they have to acquire him by... January 1. With a season starting on the 25th. Not exactly a lot of time to pull that off.

All of these elements are in place for Dwight Howard, and Deron Williams (should the Nets just give up for some reason) as well.

The most likely scenario involves Paul entering free agency, and then signing a four year contract with Los Angeles or New York. But if the Lakers were to acquire Paul prior to free agency, it would give them an extra year to offer Paul, and it's hard to imagine him passing that up. Max contracts with bird-rights are five years, as opposed to the four-year counting option-year of an extension.

But if the Lakers want to acquire either player (or both, if we like fantasies), then they're going to need to trade some of that core. Specifically, Jim Buss would have to give up on his pet project, Andrew Bynum. Lamar Odom and pieces might be able to acquire Chris Paul, but there's no sense in bringing in Howard and pairing him with Bynum. Either playing power forward would be clunky and awkward. Where this leaves Pau Gasol is yet to be seen.

Hornets fans have to love all this. LOVE IT.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33582541?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

RevisIsland
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
If they pulled this off it goes up there with Kobe and Shaq and LeBron and Bosh as the greatest offseasons in NBA history.

gwrighter
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey we all want both, doesn't mean we can have them though.

C-Style
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Man either 1 would be great. The sound of both just sounds unreal

HouRealCoach
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Someone explain why the Hornets would want Gasol? He played TERRIBLE last year in the playoffs lol

and I NEVER understood the Bynum/Howard trade talk

Sadds The Gr8
Pretty sure every team wants Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.

Shmontaine
there will be better offers for both players than straight up 1 for 1 trades...

avon_barksdale
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
(insert team here) want paul & howard

D1JM
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
So trade gasol's 20 plus million contract on a team that isn't going anywhere and get picks in the high 20's or 30's??? I doubt it. A third team wanting gasol would have to come in.

C-Style
11-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank God Lakers are a faborable destination for these players!

PhillyFaninLA
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Scary thing is the article is right, that would possibly if not probably get it done.

I wonder what that would mean for guys like Durant or Rose.

edit:

In all serisousness does Rose or Deron Williams ends up in Miami to have a chance a titles over the next few years. Where does Durant go? This would mean you have to have the Heat get another great player, the Knicks would need another great player. You would have to bring 1 star to 2 that are already in the same place or hand titles to Lakers. Actually even one of these players on the Clippers would be competitive but man Lakers would get another 7 years of dominance.

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh man these threads are annoying as all hell. We just got rid of a Bulls one, why bring in a Lakers one :facepalm:

Ebbs
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
If Lakers get both I will be furious.

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I miss the lockout :(

PhillyFaninLA
11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
I miss the lockout :(

Technically the lockout isn't over yet.

It will be over in the next day or two but its not actually over yet and the new CBA hasn't been signed yet so you can't really miss it at this point.

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Technically the lockout isn't over yet.

It will be over in the next day or two but its not actually over yet and the new CBA hasn't been signed yet so you can't really miss it at this point.

Wow...

lvlheaded
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Who the hell DOESNT want both. I could see them get one, probably not both. My guess is D12 to LAL, CP3 to NYK, and D-Will to DAL

Ill21
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Im pretty sure this is the 15th CP3 thread in the past 24 hours

Chacarron
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
If Lakers get both I will be furious.

Come on ebbs, you already got a ring. Let us Lakers fans get 4 more. :) Just playing, I highly doubt both Dwight and CP3 come to the Lakers. I'd be happy with just one.

gotoHcarolina52
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Howard's baby momma tells me he will end up a Miami HEAT.

Ty Fast
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Exactly

PhillyFaninLA
11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Wow...

I agree that is the perfect word to describe your original post glad I could clarify for you and get you to realize you mistake in thinking. Thank you for an in depth 3 letter response it adds a lot but I guess you only posted that because you realize how wrong you where in what I was quoted so well done and consider it a growth experience. If you reply to this your just baiting at that point and I think rather than baiting the other posters would like to see on topic discussion.

GeekInThePink
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM

this.

Baller1
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I ****ing hate the Lakers.

raiderNlakerfan
11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I ****ing hate the Lakers.

They effing hate you.. Keep hating.

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Can someone list off the teams who can flat out sign him when he's a free agent?

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree that is the perfect word to describe your original post glad I could clarify for you and get you to realize you mistake in thinking. Thank you for an in depth 3 letter response it adds a lot but I guess you only posted that because you realize how wrong you where in what I was quoted so well done and consider it a growth experience. If you reply to this your just baiting at that point and I think rather than baiting the other posters would like to see on topic discussion.

You're funny. It was sarcasm and went right over your head. Way to go on a rant about nothing though :clap: props

iliketurtles24
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
but i thought they were both coming to the wolves, i could have swore Dwight's friends roomy said that, and cp3 learned about minnesota in grade school, so that means he and dwight are headed her to minny. fact

Knickfansince97
11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Lakers will get Dwight Knicks get Paul

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Knicks will not get Paul. Period

Melo15
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
That would be absolutely insane :laugh2:

tcav701
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I said this in seperate "my favorite team is getting CP3/Howard" thread. The Hornets and magic are better off letting these guys walk than trading them to a team that is going to give them overpayed vets in return.

Odom and Gasol arent going to help you rebuild and all they do is eat up cap space. There will be a ton of talent on the board in 2012 that Orlando and NO would be able to sign while teams fight over D12 and CP3.

YoungOne
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM

this.

VillaMaravilla
11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
getting 1 of the 2 very likely getting both a pipe dream

Punk
11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Now, here comes the fake hustle to take away from the hated franchises.

It's Dwight to CLIPPERS. It's Paul to KNICKS.

End of story. Dwight has said, he does not want to be another Shaq and he wants his own legacy.

joeboow90
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
"Lakers want Chris Paul & Dwight Howard"

Yea and I want Minka Kelly and 100 million dollars....

:facepalm:

club america
11-29-2011, 02:44 PM
As a laker fan i would go for paul first but i dont think this wil happen

basketfan4life
Now, here comes the fake hustle to take away from the hated franchises.

It's Dwight to CLIPPERS. It's Paul to KNICKS.

End of story. Dwight has said, he does not want to be another Shaq and he wants his own legacy.

From now on, any center should be soooooooooooo happy to be another Shaq, who is dwight to think that? First of all do something, then talk about Shaq...

Cal827
The owners are aware that there is a Salary cap, right... and that New Orleans will probably laugh and hang up if they are offered Bynum/Gasol/Odom... they pull this off, that'll probably be it for the NBA lo

I'll say this for the 1000th time, why in the **** would Orlando or New Orleans do this? Why would they make themselves a perennial first round exit for 5 more year....might as well start the rebuild ASAP, or end up like the Hawks.

The only one I think they could get (reallllly small chance) are the New Orleans Hornets, since trading Paul for scraps or prospects that would take time to develop would probably kill the remaining fan base and that team is already losing some money... but then again the new BRI system might be able to hold them pat while they rebuild too... I don't think Orlando would have a problem rebuilding from scratch with the new split.

naps
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Hahaha, Lakers really think they will be gifted 2 more championships (Gasol) once again? I am almost 99% positive neither player goes there.

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Someone explain why the Hornets would want Gasol? He played TERRIBLE last year in the playoffs lol

and I NEVER understood the Bynum/Howard trade talk

They dont. Some beat writer is having a wet dream.

silverbax
11-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I fully expect CP3 to end up on the Lakers, not as sure about Howard, but the Lakers have a long history of going after whoever is the dominant franchise center in the league. And that's Howard.

ChicagoRox
11-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Poor Hornets and Magic fans. I would be pissed if every thread talks about our franchise player leaving.

jimbobjarree
11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
heres to 8 months of **** threads like this :sigh:

Geargo Wallace
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
****! Now I'm gonna have to hate both.

DMasta718
11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the other 29 teams want Paul & Dwight as well.

Dade County
11-29-2011, 03:44 PM
****! Now I'm gonna have to hate both.

Why?

Chi StateOfMind
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
And I want Kim K and Kourtney K bent over next to each other so I can get it in.

3mikee_
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't know about Paul but I think D12 might as well just put on a Laker jersey now.. Hopefully that will make the Lakers a more attractive destination for Paul when he enters free agency

Geargo Wallace
11-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Why?

Because I strongly dislike that franchise... it's a joke bruuuu.

Tony_Starks
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Hahaha, Lakers really think they will be gifted 2 more championships (Gasol) once again? I am almost 99% positive neither player goes there.

Yeah because gettin allstars ensures a championship. You don't even have to play the games, they just hand over the trophy. Just ask Lebron and Wade. Not like it's possible that a more well rounded team could beat 3 allstars or anything......

BigCityofDreams
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
No way they get both but depending on what happens they should be able to get 1 of the 2.

sp1derm00
11-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I can only see the Lakers getting one of the two simply because Andrew Bynum is the only piece either team would want.

Neither will be an instant contender with Pau, but Bynum has shown enough promise and is young enough to be tempting. Pair Bynum with Pau or Odom in an offer and it would land the Lakers Dwight or CP3, but both? Impossible.

If the Lakers got Dwight with Pau and Bynum, no combination of remaining players outside of including Kobe would net you CP3. Even if the Lakers somehow got Dwight for Odom and Bynum, Pau and trash wouldn't get you CP3.

I could a scenario where this happens though...

Hornets out: CP3, Okafor, Ariza
Magic out: Dwight, Hedo, Anderson
Lakers out: Bynum, Pau, Odom

Hornets in: Bynum, Odom, Anderson
Magic in: Okafor, Pau, Ariza
Lakers in: Dwight, CP3, Hedo

Works for the Hornets because they get two good prospects in Bynum and Anderson, plus Odom which might land them some good picks as trade material.

Works for the Magic because they lose Hedo's bad contract while getting a Top 3 PF, and a good defensive C to replace Dwight. Their team would remain competitive with this move.

This would require BOTH teams to be alright with giving the Lakers both CP3 and Dwight.

but think about how depleted the Lakers would be outside of their starting five:

CP3, Kobe, Artest, Hedo, Dwight

Bench: Fisher, Blake, Barnes, Caracter, Ebanks

That bench is worse than anything the Heat fielded last season

rapjuicer06
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I can only see the Lakers getting one of the two simply because Andrew Bynum is the only piece either team would want.

Neither will be an instant contender with Pau, but Bynum has shown enough promise and is young enough to be tempting. Pair Bynum with Pau or Odom in an offer and it would land the Lakers Dwight or CP3, but both? Impossible.

If the Lakers got Dwight with Pau and Bynum, no combination of remaining players outside of including Kobe would net you CP3. Even if the Lakers somehow got Dwight for Odom and Bynum, Pau and trash wouldn't get you CP3.

I could a scenario where this happens though...

Hornets out: CP3, Okafor, Ariza
Magic out: Dwight, Hedo, Anderson
Lakers out: Bynum, Pau, Odom

Hornets in: Bynum, Odom, Anderson
Magic in: Okafor, Pau, Ariza
Lakers in: Dwight, CP3, Hedo

Works for the Hornets because they get two good prospects in Bynum and Anderson, plus Odom which might land them some good picks as trade material.

Works for the Magic because they lose Hedo's bad contract while getting a Top 3 PF, and a good defensive C to replace Dwight. Their team would remain competitive with this move.

This would require BOTH teams to be alright with giving the Lakers both CP3 and Dwight.

but think about how depleted the Lakers would be outside of their starting five:

CP3, Kobe, Artest, Hedo, Dwight

Bench: Fisher, Blake, Barnes, Caracter, Ebanks

That bench is worse than anything the Heat fielded last season

So Orlando gives up the best players and get the worst in return. Damn, you beat the Mavs guy with his offer for dumbest offer

Teeboy1487
11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I see Paul going to the Knicks. Maybe Dwight but not both. They would be insane.

Tony_Starks
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Once Dwight starts getting frustrated this year and its obvious he's a gonner Otis Smith will pull the trigger. Getting another young starting center and whatever else talent is better than letting him walk for free.

I believe that NO is going to be stupid enought to let CP3 "Lebron" them. He's never going to publicly admit he wants out but the opportunity to play with his boys in NY is just too good to pass up......

Jewelz0376
11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Its so unlikely they get both I'm not even thinking about that...This isn't 2k... Just let the Lakers sign D12 and I'd be more than satisfied...

king4day
11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
lol, good luck making that work. They have no assets and If I'm orlando or New Orleans, I wouldn't deal them to LA for bad contracts and aging players.

Zefflin
11-29-2011, 11:41 PM
We will get one of them, and if not CP3 then Dwill. Hey, a man can dream, and my dream just may come true.

sb123
11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
I heard Lakers are moving Luke Walton for Kevin Love too.

Plus World Meta Peace for Chris Bosh and Miami's 2032 first rounder.

And Derek Fisher for Carmelo Anthony and two Seconds.

And Pau for Griffin.

Griffin, D12, Chris Paul, Love, Carmelo, Bosh and multiple picks.

Laker Dynasty!!!!!!

ManRam
11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
SUPERTEAMS FTW!

:sigh:

socalswag24
11-30-2011, 12:18 AM
LOL @ all the hater fannss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahahah yall be jelouse and you know it.. no one said miami would do it but they did.. sorryy but this league is gunna be done if this trade gets pulled off!

GeraldRFord
11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, CC Sabathia's not going to the Yankees, he wants to hit and play in California, and Lebron, Wade, and Bosh won't team up because it'll cost too much and Lebron wants to play at home in Ohio anyways, and Favre would never play for the Vikings and ruin everything in Green Bay, and after signing CC and AJ, the Yankees definitely can't afford Mark Teixeira.

Oh, wait...

If you guys havne't notcied, teams find ways to get things done and you can rationalize it all you want, but if Chris Paul and Dwight Howard decide that they want to be Lakers, they'll be Lakers, and in the NBA more than in any other league, players get their way.

GeraldRFord
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
All that being said, I figure the Lakers get Howard and Paul goes to the Knicks, because he seems to want to be a Knick.

lakersrock
11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
No doubt in my mind Dwight will be a Laker for Bynum+.

That said, if NO is stupid enough to trade CP3 for Gasol, I wouldn't say no.

I highly doubt they are though.

Fisher
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

That's our lineup this year....notice no CP3.

rapjuicer06
11-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Woah, when did you guys get Howard?

basketfan4life
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM
well who doesn't?

lakersrock
11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Woah, when did you guys get Howard?

If you're talking to me, read the entire post again. Maybe twice.

Madtown22
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I want a new car and my house paid off. Doesn't mean it is going to happen. Lakers won't get either guy.

TylerSL
11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
no way they get both. Absolutely no way. I could see Howard going to LA although, I think he will end up in NJ or Boston. I think CP3 is New York bound.

Byronicle
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
they can't get both. lots of things change, trades get down, people have 2nd thoughts. there is no way. maybe 1 but not both

rapjuicer06
11-30-2011, 01:14 PM
No doubt in my mind Dwight will be a Laker for Bynum+.

That said, if NO is stupid enough to trade CP3 for Gasol, I wouldn't say no.

I highly doubt they are though.

Fisher
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

That's our lineup this year....notice no CP3.

You said for this year...Howards name should not be in there. Orlando is not trading Howard before or during this season

BKLYNpigeon
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
If I were the lakers I would trade Bynum for CP3 right the now.

Raph12
11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
The Clipps can actually pull this off, trade for D12 and sign CP3 in the offseason...

MJ-BULLS
11-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that every team would like to have Howard and Chris Paul.

WadeKobe
11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Make signing James, Bosh, and Wade pale in comparison? No.

1) James
2) Howard
3) Wade
4) CP3
5) Dirk
6) Kobe

The Heat got 2 of the top 3 players in the game, the Lakers would be acquiring 1 of the top 3. The acquisition itself is better for the Heat.

Would the Lakers' BigThree be better? Yea... not even close. That would be the sickest **** we've ever seen.

Cal827
11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Alright I'm just going to come out and say it:

ANDREW BYNUM IS OVERRATED

Just think about it Laker fans, why would Orlando trade a center who is by far the best center in the league and has been healthy all his career.. for one that has glass knees and he's one bad jump away from a career devastating injury. On top of that, there is the risk that he decides to test the market after his contract runs out since he's a UFA. The Lakers CAN'T sign him outright, when it comes to going to the lakers, the Magic hold the leverage.. Lakers need to somehow sucker another team into the deal to send out their picks/prospects or something like that.

marj987
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Damnit another one? I can't even see Paul or Dwight a lakers, lol as I am typing this post on the first page watch as I read previous posts and see Laker fans come alive.

fin_frenzy_84
11-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I dont think they got the money to get both lol

Raidaz4Life
11-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that every team would like to have Howard and Chris Paul.

Get Out! I will not let you destroy our monopoly on wanting both Howard AND Paul.... some teams may want one.... but we are the only team crazy enough to want both!

luke21
11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
You said for this year...Howards name should not be in there. Orlando is not trading Howard before or during this season.

Really? Otis Smith told you???

Wow some people don't get it.....it's simple if they don't trade him now or during the season he then can leave as a free agent. Meaning Orlando has no say where he goes(aka Lebron,Bosh) watch the cavs and raptors thy stuff can set your franchise back years and years...Orlando isn't gonna let Dwight walk just like Shaq did 11 years ago. It's funny cause I had Bill Walton come speak at my job 2 months ago, what a weirdo! Lol. Anyways Bill told me watch, Dwight and Chris will be Lakers!! He said all the big names know that to compete they need to join forces. I'm a Laker fan but I can't imagine this to happen..... I do see at least one o the two for sure but then again it is L.A and Jerry Buss just landed a billion dollar t.v deal and we know he will spend the money and isn't worried about going over the cap and paying taxes. The Lakers always have all-stars and they know Kobe has just a few years left so why not go grab the best center/pg who are both in their mid 20's so they can rack up a few more titles.

rapjuicer06
11-30-2011, 04:24 PM

Really? Otis Smith told you???

Wow some people don't get it.....it's simple if they don't trade him now or during the season he then can leave as a free agent. Meaning Orlando has no say where he goes(aka Lebron,Bosh) watch the cavs and raptors thy stuff can set your franchise back years and years...Orlando isn't gonna let Dwight walk just like Shaq did 11 years ago. It's funny cause I had Bill Walton come speak at my job 2 months ago, what a weirdo! Lol. Anyways Bill told me watch, Dwight and Chris will be Lakers!! He said all the big names know that to compete they need to join forces. I'm a Laker fan but I can't imagine this to happen..... I do see at least one o the two for sure but then again it is L.A and Jerry Buss just landed a billion dollar t.v deal and we know he will spend the money and isn't worried about going over the cap and paying taxes. The Lakers always have all-stars and they know Kobe has just a few years left so why not go grab the best center/pg who are both in their mid 20's so they can rack up a few more titles.

Yup, I called him up and talked to him about it

luke21
11-30-2011, 04:24 PM

Just think about it Laker fans, why would Orlando trade a center who is by far the best center in the league and has been healthy all his career.. for one that has glass knees and he's one bad jump away from a career devastating injury. On top of that, there is the risk that he decides to test the market after his contract runs out since he's a UFA. The Lakers CAN'T sign him outright, when it comes to going to the lakers, the Magic hold the leverage.. Lakers need to somehow sucker another team into the deal to send out their picks/prospects or something like that.

Say what you want about Bynum,but you are way wrong abou holding "leverage" the only one that can hold leverage is Dwight....he can say trade me to L.A or I will walk as a free agent. He can also say I'm not signing a extension anywhere else. Learn this before you post it. It's the same as Carmeli did and they didn't change this in the new CBA

rapjuicer06
11-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Say what you want about Bynum,but you are way wrong abou holding "leverage" the only one that can hold leverage is Dwight....he can say trade me to L.A or I will walk as a free agent. He can also say I'm not signing a extension anywhere else. Learn this before you post it. It's the same as Carmeli did and they didn't change this in the new CBA

And Orlando can say hahaha ok walk

luke21
11-30-2011, 04:28 PM
And Orlando can say hahaha ok walk

Cool.....since you talked to Otis call up Cleveland and Toronto and see how letting their star "walk" worked out for them. Smart guy

futureman
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Not going to happen. Both teams will trade them before they let them walk. The lakers only have enough to maybe trade for one of them.

luke21
11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
I dont think they got the money to get both lol

Lakers had highest payrol in league last year. Getting rid of Odom,Gasol,Bynum,Blake would be tons of the books. So that's how they would make it work. Jerry Buss said it many times in the media he will spend the money to win.

MJ-BULLS
11-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Get Out! I will not let you destroy our monopoly on wanting both Howard AND Paul.... some teams may want one.... but we are the only team crazy enough to want both!

I heard the Wolves want both as well.

futureman
11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I think both guys to the Clippers is far more realistic because of Griffin. Kobe is past his prime now.

luke21
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Clippers? Lol. They Renting Staples to play in Kobe's building. They would look like chumps doing that. When has the Clips ever spent a lot of money? Stupid comment. Your right Kobe got a few years left (3-4) but Dwight knows that is 3-4 more rings than he has now, he also would have his boy Paul still contending when Kobe is a role player.

justinnum1
11-30-2011, 04:41 PM

They wouldn't. Only lakers fans think thats a good trade.

rapjuicer06
11-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Ok, so you are a Laker homer. Nothing said by anyone will make it past your glasses.

CityofTreez
11-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Sacramento Kings want Chris Paul & Dwight Howard!

gotoHcarolina52
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Clippers? Lol. They Renting Staples to play in Kobe's building. They would look like chumps doing that. When has the Clips ever spent a lot of money? Stupid comment. Your right Kobe got a few years left (3-4) but Dwight knows that is 3-4 more rings than he has now, he also would have his boy Paul still contending when Kobe is a role player.

The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

futureman
11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

They will overtake the lakers eventually. People will want to play with Griffin it's only a matter of time. They are in just as big of a market also.

Knicks21
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
They will overtake the lakers eventually. People will want to play with Griffin it's only a matter of time. They are in just as big of a market also.

Many of them hate him. Everyone tries to pick fight with him.

beliges
11-30-2011, 04:56 PM
They wouldn't. Only lakers fans think thats a good trade.

Well heres the scenario. The Magic will not trade Dwight in conference unless they get guys like Rose or Lebron back in the deal and thats not gonna happen. They could trade him to the Knicks for most likely both Amare and Melo and NY will not do that deal. Orlando will prefer to trade him to a Western Conference team and will be looking to get a good young big man in return. Bynum fits that criteria as he is the best young prospect as a center the league has. Of course he has some health issues but he is still the very best young prospect for a big man the league has. Furthermore, Dwight has hinted numerous times at wanting to be in LA and play for Kobe. I mean you add all this up and it doesnt seem like such a pipe dream anymore does it? Personally I highly doubt he gets traded. But if he does, theres no way he goes East and the Lakers are at the top of the list in the West. It makes sense for both teams and it makes sense for Dwight's career.

KJ21.the.truth
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
and i want to put a hickey on kim kardashians butt...

also not happening.

But heres for wishing :cheers:

5ass
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Many of them hate him. Everyone tries to pick fight with him.

bcz theyre playing against him.. every1 hated jordan his rookie season too. Its diff when theyre on the same team.
Anyway lakers might want cp3 and howard, but they are getting no1.

FarOutIos
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
The fact that this is mentioned is a perfect example of what is wrong with the NBA.

Lakers and Lakers fans have been spoiled by their ability to get great players. Mostly because LA is a big market and thus an attractive destination financially for big name players.

The arrogant and condescending attitude that the Lakers players, staff and fans have is truly ugly.

And the fact that the NBA allows and feeds this also is proof that the NBA, as a business, wants its larger markets to succeed and really doesn't care about its smaller markets. As a business minded person, I can FULLY understand this. As an NBA fan...

It's disgusting.

Evolution23
11-30-2011, 05:16 PM
:laugh: Lakers fans really believe this?

Cal827
11-30-2011, 05:26 PM

:facepalm: oh the irony.

Difference was Melo would have been signed by those same Knicks in the offseason... they had the cap space. In case you don't know already, the Lakers have no cap space (hence why they pay the luxury tax) to sign howard outright.

If I'm Otis, I'll just let him walk over taking that joke of a deal from LA. The New NBA has a new system which owners get about a billion back overall BRI Split saves a ton on contracts... therefore, organizations would be able to rebuild easier as they wouldn't lose as much money during... Also the Cavs/Raps are terrible examples. 1 year in, they both are in rebuild mode, with good prospects that will be locked up for a while (Derozan/Davis/Jonas, Irving/Thompson along with likely high first rounders next year)... Both teams also had their fans still show up to games and Toronto was even one of the 8 profitable teams... Giving the Magic Roster Bynum makes them a 7-10th seed in the east... tell me: Would you prefer to bottom out and get a high pick in a draft and build quicker, or continue to get middle first round picks and stay in irrelevancy for 5 years?

You don't retool when you lose a franchise player: You rebuild.

If Otis does this deal, he must have been dropped on his head when he was a child.

AllBall
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm all for it, keep them in the West.

blackjack_119
11-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Why would Paul and Howard make plans around playing with Kobe Bryant when he would already be 34 years old when they reach Free Agency. Bryant will be out of the league before Paul and Howard are half way through their contracts. I get Paul and Howard wanting to team up, but there are a lot better long term options than the Lakers if you are looking to start a "super team" as two star free agents.

beliges
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Why would Paul and Howard make plans around playing with Kobe Bryant when he would already be 34 years old when they reach Free Agency. Bryant will be out of the league before Paul and Howard are half way through their contracts. I get Paul and Howard wanting to team up, but there are a lot better long term options than the Lakers if you are looking to start a "super team" as two star free agents.

Its not so much about playing with Kobe as it is being the cornerstone of the LA LAkers. If Dwight were to come to LA, he would pretty much be guaranteed a championship or two before Kobe retires. Furthermore, after Kobe retires, Dwight will be the man in LA as he will be the cornerstone of the Lakers. Theres no other team in the league like the Lakers and being the #1 guy on the #1 franchise in the league in the #2 market in the country means global notoriety. Dwight has made it known numerous times that he wants to be in LA and play with Kobe. Take is how you want it but the Lakers also have the #1 trade bait for Orlando in Bynum as he is the best young prospect for a big man the league has today.

hugepatsfan
11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
People need to learn the concept of a trade of superstar. You don't get better by giving them up. So all the people saying "ZOMG Bynum iznt az gud as SupaMan so ORL aint gonna do that trade" need to STFU.

IF (and I say IF) ORL deals Dwight, it's because they are convinced he's leaving and they want to get back something. Nothing they trade for is going to be equal to what Dwight is - he's arguably the #2 player in the NBA (and you could even argue the most VALUABLE because of position scarcity). But the idea is to get something back. Bynum is a very talented young center w/out a lot of long term money committed yet (only 2 more years). He's a very valuable piece in a trade. Yes he's injury prone, but that's why it's good he's only got 2 years. You can move on if he scares you.

hugepatsfan
11-30-2011, 07:31 PM

Because Paul and Bynum would be a great core moving forward no matter if Kobe's there or not. CP3 and Dwight anywhere is probably the best situation for both winning wise IMO. (NY is arguable for CP3).

Mishmin
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Get in line, LA

beliges
11-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Get in line, LA

They are, but it seems theyre in the very front of that line.

Mr Costanza
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
They are, but it seems theyre in the very front of that line.

Says.........laker fans??

beliges
11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Says.........laker fans??

Says everyone reporting on this topic.

Mr Costanza
11-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Says everyone in LA reporting on this topic.

Exactly.

hugepatsfan
11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
They seem to be in the Howard lead, but not for CP3 at all.

beliges
11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Exactly.

Actually its the national reporters reporting on these topics that are making these statements. But either way, I dont think Orlando is gonna trade Dwight. But given the history of the Lakers, I would not be surprised one bit if they were to acquire Dwight AND another superstar PG. We shall see.

Cal827
11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Yup cause it's better to take a player who will likely bolt in two years when he sees the team is rebuilding, rather than getting picks where Orlando would be in complete control of them for a long time (RFA) :eyebrow:

JJ_JKidd
11-30-2011, 09:05 PM
That'd be a very seamless transition from the Kobe era :clap:

MTar786
11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
i like how dwights two main options are LA and dallas. And paul LOVES the lakers too.

We're def getting atleast one of them latest by 2013

I dont care if we get paul or not. But id love having dwight. He is like a poor mans shaq. kobe him and pau aldong with some depth and you have a very good chance at more rings. If we get dwight i say kobe wins 7 rings in total by the end of his career

dodie53
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM

i agree
hehe

Cracka2HI!
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
This is why I love the NBA forum. The Lakers say they want 2 players they can never get and Ric Bucher reports the Clippers are the frontrunners for either player of their choice and there is no mention here! Yes Paul and Howard could actually end up in LA...it would just be the Clipps! That said even the Clipps with cap space, expirings, a young Center, SG, PG, SF and the likely #1 overall pick next draft can probably only get 1. I'd bet atleast 50% of Laker fans are convinced they will get both.

As much as Howard and Paul would love to play for the Lakers...I doubt they will split the mini MLE. I do think Bynum and a bunch of worthless late #1's could get Howard if he decided he would play for the Lakers or no one else. Gasol on the other hand WON'T get you anything in a sign a trade. Why would New Orleans take on a year older Gasol's contract just so the Lakers can have Paul?

Raph12
12-01-2011, 01:56 AM
i like how dwights two main options are LA and dallas. And paul LOVES the lakers too.

We're def getting atleast one of them latest by 2013

I dont care if we get paul or not. But id love having dwight. He is like a poor mans shaq. kobe him and pau aldong with some depth and you have a very good chance at more rings. If we get dwight i say kobe wins 7 rings in total by the end of his career

Could not be more wrong, he barely plays like Shaq, the only things even similar about the two, is strength and FT shooting. Dwight is his own man, the way he plays is quite unique; extremely athletic, great rebounder, great hands, great defensive player and efficient offensive player.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but Dwight won't be going to the Lakers, the Magic wouldn't trade him for Bynum/Pau/Odom because they're trying to start over and they can't afford him in FA.

Cano-Montero...
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
This is why I love the NBA forum. The Lakers say they want 2 players they can never get and Ric Bucher reports the Clippers are the frontrunners for either player of their choice and there is no mention here! Yes Paul and Howard could actually end up in LA...it would just be the Clipps! That said even the Clipps with cap space, expirings, a young Center, SG, PG, SF and the likely #1 overall pick next draft can probably only get 1. I'd bet atleast 50% of Laker fans are convinced they will get both.

As much as Howard and Paul would love to play for the Lakers...I doubt they will split the mini MLE. I do think Bynum and a bunch of worthless late #1's could get Howard if he decided he would play for the Lakers or no one else. Gasol on the other hand WON'T get you anything in a sign a trade. Why would New Orleans take on a year older Gasol's contract just so the Lakers can have Paul?

LMao..really? half of the teams in the NBA will love to have pau and I think he is already signed for 3 more years...

Ovratd1up
12-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Paul/Bryant/Artest/Odom/Howard.

Poor Heat.

LAKERMANIA
12-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I would love D12 more than CP3, but both? Jesus