PDA

View Full Version : Celtics open to trading Rondo

BallIsAll
11-29-2011, 02:51 AM
RoyceWebb Royce Webb, ESPN NBA
Boston is open to trading Rajon Rondo, sources tell Chris Broussard. http://t.co/cTmin50B

thats crazy.

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I remember they were open to trading him a couple years ago as well. There is just something they dont like about him for some reason.

Wade>You
11-29-2011, 02:53 AM
While Boston is not shopping Rajon Rondo, it would be open to trading him in the right deal, sources say. The Celtics feel they need more scoring to take the load off of Paul Pierce.

I don't know why'd they trade Rondo just for scoring when he sets up everyone else nicely.

BallIsAll
11-29-2011, 02:53 AM
maybe its his attitude?..

abe_froman
11-29-2011, 02:56 AM
capspace to go after howard+ whoever else is in that fa class?

Sadds The Gr8
They should try for a Rondo, Allen and picks for CP3 type deal.

Corey
Good. Finally others are getting on the bandwagon myself and Bags have been on all offseason.

UPRock
11-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Oh crap, if he leaves their offense will be worse.

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Rondo for Brandon Jennings, Bogut, and Stephen Jackson?

Stunner
11-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Harris Milsap and Favors for Rondo and O'Neal

bovice163
11-29-2011, 03:03 AM
I remember they were open to trading him a couple years ago as well. There is just something they dont like about him for some reason.

The Celtics are playing smart. Trade him while his value is high, while his value is inflated by the big 3. They might be able to rebuild a bit quicker that way.

Corey
11-29-2011, 03:07 AM
The Celtics are playing smart. Trade him while his value is high, while his value is inflated by the big 3. They might be able to rebuild a bit quicker that way.

Bingo.

Rondo's value is going to plummet when he doesnt have all the talent around him. He'll still be a productive player, but no where near on the level he currently is.

He has absolutely no jumper, no offensive game, and relies on his teammates hitting shots to be successful. His defenders play 6 feet away from him, and he's still not able to be a consistent scorer. Flashes of brilliance, but doesn't have the talent to put it together consistently.

He's the absolute perfect point guard to run a team of stars...but the Celts are at the end of the line thanks to Father Time.

Stunner
11-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Ellis for Rondo

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:08 AM
hmmm interesting perspective

lakers4sho
11-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Good for them. They shouldn't build for their future around Rondo. Trade him while his stock is still high.

RipCity32
11-29-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't believe this at all,the first trade rumors were before he was putting up the numbers he is now and Boston quickly denied them saying they love the kid and they probably have not changed they're mind knowing that now he is a top 3 passer in the league.

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:11 AM
I wonder if the Celtics can do something with the Warriors that involves Steph Curry.

Although in my honest opinion, Stephen Curry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rondo. And its not close

PurpleJesus
11-29-2011, 03:11 AM
so they arent looking to trade him, but they would be open to trading him if someone offered the right deal?

cant this be said for every player in the league? why is this news?

BallIsAll
11-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Ellis for Rondo

this dont seem half bad

Wade>You
so they arent looking to trade him, but they would be open to trading him if someone offered the right deal?

cant this be said for every player in the league? why is this news?lol true, but it lets everyone know that Rondo is available.

Corey
I wonder if the Celtics can do something with the Warriors that involves Steph Curry.

Although in my honest opinion, Stephen Curry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rondo. And its not close

Funny, that's who I want as well. Curry is my dream trade for Rondo.

Corey
11-29-2011, 03:14 AM
this dont seem half bad
Nah, they wont trade him for a 2-guard unless they have another deal with Allen lined up.

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Funny, that's who I want as well. Curry is my dream trade for Rondo.

Hmmm. I wonder what a Warriors fans perspective on this is

Stunner
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Nah, they wont trade him for a 2-guard unless they have another deal with Allen lined up.

they wanted more scoring what more than a Ellis / Ray backcourt

Stunner
11-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Warriors won't trade Curry he's the face of their franchise

daisuke4cy
11-29-2011, 03:19 AM

:facepalm: The big 3 hurts Rondo's value. If Rondo was in a more up tempo offense his value would be much greater. If rose was on the c's his value would go down as well as he would have to defer to the big 3 on occasion. The fact that a rondo trade is being discussed is horrible news to celtic fans. Rondo is one of the most creative unique entertaning players ever to play the game not to mention top 5 at his postion arguably top 2.

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm really on and off about Rondo. Im really curious to see him play without the Big 3

HouRealCoach
11-29-2011, 03:22 AM
I feel bad for whoever they get to overspend for him

Stunner
11-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Jazz put Al on block

C's get : Harris, Al, Bell and Evans

Jazz get : Rondo O'Neal, Green and Johnson

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 03:29 AM
The Warriors would be so dumb to trade Curry for Rondo. Nevermind the scoring; People dont understand how good a passer Curry is. Next Nash

Cal827
11-29-2011, 03:31 AM
Barfnani for Rondo

RipCity32
11-29-2011, 03:34 AM
The Warriors would be so dumb to trade Curry for Rondo. Nevermind the scoring; People dont understand how good a passer Curry is. Next Nash

Rondo is a better passer than Curry.

John Walls Era
11-29-2011, 03:41 AM
You miss one day during these times and you basically don't know the roster of your own team the next day.

venom518
11-29-2011, 03:51 AM
I have been reading many posts about Rondo would not be any good w/o the big 3. But have you people seen the big three play w/o Rondo? They look lost. Rondo runs that ship.

Punk
11-29-2011, 03:55 AM
The logic of this doesn't make sense but I'm not complaining lol

Wade>You
11-29-2011, 04:00 AM
I have been reading many posts about Rondo would not be any good w/o the big 3. But have you people seen the big three play w/o Rondo? They look lost. Rondo runs that ship.I share the same point of view. It's gonna be awkward at first for the Big 3 unless Curry steps up and fills that role.

Punk
11-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Anyone else realized this totally screams Rondo for Westbrook?

Wade>You
11-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Anyone else realized this totally screams Rondo for Westbrook?That's a good trade if both teams are really looking to go in that direction.

Punk
11-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Rondo reunites with his boyfriend, Perkins. Westbrook would be the future of Boston with a real coach who won't put up with his chucking and Durant gets a pass first PG.

THE GIPPER
11-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Westbrook has more value than Rondo imo so the celtics would have to throw someone else in

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Rondo is a better passer than Curry.

You would be surprised.

Hustlenomics
11-29-2011, 04:18 AM
I have been reading many posts about Rondo would not be any good w/o the big 3. But have you people seen the big three play w/o Rondo? They look lost. Rondo runs that ship.

^ X 1000

:facepalm: The big 3 hurts Rondo's value. If Rondo was in a more up tempo offense his value would be much greater. If rose was on the c's his value would go down as well as he would have to defer to the big 3 on occasion. The fact that a rondo trade is being discussed is horrible news to celtic fans. Rondo is one of the most creative unique entertaning players ever to play the game not to mention top 5 at his postion arguably top 2.

^ unless it's for chris paul

MagicBucsSox
11-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Rondo for steph curry

MTar786
11-29-2011, 04:40 AM
if they are willing to trade rondo then they should only pull the trigger if its part of a deal to get either howard or cp3

ayuntalo
11-29-2011, 04:41 AM

false.
its ray allen and KG. they may not score a lot but they create havoc with those never ending motions (ray running through a lot of screens and KG giving him solid picks and knows when to take advantage inside when defenders go over the screen). without those rondo would just be a good defender and rebounder.
just my opinion

btw, if rondo is gonna be traded he will be a very good fit with the HEAT.
great D and a lot of fast breaks :speechless:

MTar786
11-29-2011, 04:53 AM
false.
its ray allen and KG. they may not score a lot but they create havoc with those never ending motions (ray running through a lot of screens and KG giving him solid picks and knows when to take advantage inside when defenders go over the screen). without those rondo would just be a good defender and rebounder.
just my opinion

ya and who will the heat offer? the only deal i think could work would be something like

rondo and oneal for bosh

and even that deal both teams wouldnt take

da ThRONe
11-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Rondo for Curry isn't going to happen. GS will trade Ellis to free up the backcourt for Curry.

I do think a Rondo for Westbrook trade has merit.

JLynn943
11-29-2011, 05:07 AM

that's a horrible trade for the Bucks

AI4MVP
11-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Now that I think about it, a Rondo-Westbrook deal is a great idea..

RevisIsland
11-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Chauncey for Rondo :)

bholly
11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Yeah, Rondo for Westbrook really is a great idea for both teams.

naps
11-29-2011, 06:08 AM
damn!! Celtics are dumb. They really underrate Rondo and if anything they are reducing his value if this rumor is true.

Anyway, Westbrrok for Rondo might turn out great for both sides if Harden becomes an elite scorer.

Bruno
11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Boston should try to trade for a super-star around a package of Rondo/Green and one of the big three. If you're gona rebuild, it's nice to still fill the seats.

Plus, a Dwight Howard/Cp3 type star could still make some noise in Boston with Doc and two of the big three. :shrug:

Knicks21
11-29-2011, 06:52 AM

Jazz get owned.

bholly
11-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Boston should try to trade for a super-star around a package of Rondo/Green and one of the big three. If you're gona rebuild, it's nice to still fill the seats.

Plus, a Dwight Howard/Cp3 type star could still make some noise in Boston with Doc and two of the big three. :shrug:

Do they need to make a big move for a chance at a superstar?

They only have $29m committed for next offseason, plus whatever they give Green. With Rondo (or Westbrook), Pierce, and probably Green, I think they're already a pretty attractive destination for Howard in FA. Even for CP3 (via FA or trade) if they move Rondo for something.

In short, given their cap space, they're better off hoping to get one of those guys in FA rather than move a bunch of assets for them.

Knicks21
11-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Rondo's trade value isn't that high, his stats are inflated by being around the likes of KG, Allen and Pierce.

Knicks21
11-29-2011, 07:26 AM
ya and who will the heat offer? the only deal i think could work would be something like

rondo and oneal for bosh

and even that deal both teams wouldnt take

More so the heat wouldn't take it. Having your best three players, who can all play point guard is an unusual balance.

Pacman
11-29-2011, 07:46 AM
This is normal for teams in the NBA. They're just playing Take 'em or Thrash 'em.

mdm692
11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Curry for rondo is the smartest deal. Maybe rondo for westbrook.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Some reason?

He's the worst shooting PG in the NBA. His best place to shoot is in the paint, but he gets axed when he is in there because his FT% is the worst among a starting guard in decades.

He's moody - look how he tanked after Perkins got dealt. A guy that has to be a franchise leader in short order throwing a hissy fit because his best pal got dealt?

Both Doc and Ainge have called him uncoachable and stubborn. His FT% keeps getting worse, I know he has really big hands and long fingers but if was following his coaching how couldn't it be better?

The Celts are going into the toilet soon, and need a PG that can distribute and create his own offense. His 3 HOF binkies are going away soon.

Deal him now to get something good back.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Curry for rondo is the smartest deal. Maybe rondo for westbrook.

Why would they trade Curry for Rondo? They've been trying to get rid of Monta for a year and half ever since Curry proved he was younger, cheaper, and better then Monta.

Westbrook has blemishes as well, that's more likely, Rondo could really help OKC, Westbrook can actually shoot the rock.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I share the same point of view. It's gonna be awkward at first for the Big 3 unless Curry steps up and fills that role.

Such a deal isn't just for this year, next year Allen and KG are likely to be gone, leaving Green, PP, and Curry as your core, that's a good core to go to the lottery with, and yet resurface quickly after a big pick, and two good/very good FA signings. Rondo is the worst shooting starting PG in decades. With nobody of distinction to feed compared to the '08 big three, what's he going to do? Take 3's? hahhahhahhahhaa

Rondo blew last season all by himself because he went into baby mode over the Perkins deal. If you think Doc and Ainge are not still pissed at him (and all his other baloney) then you don't know those two.

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Rondo is not that good. I think most other teams already know that tho.

Wade>You
11-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Such a deal isn't just for this year, next year Allen and KG are likely to be gone, leaving Green, PP, and Curry as your core, that's a good core to go to the lottery with, and yet resurface quickly after a big pick, and two good/very good FA signings. Rondo is the worst shooting starting PG in decades. With nobody of distinction to feed compared to the '08 big three, what's he going to do? Take 3's? hahhahhahhahhaa

Rondo blew last season all by himself because he went into baby mode over the Perkins deal. If you think Doc and Ainge are not still pissed at him (and all his other baloney) then you don't know those two.What exactly happened besides the comment about "trading Perkins was a mistake"? I didn't see Rondo's performance deteriorate after the Perkins trade, but as a Cs fan you obv know better.

Chi StateOfMind
11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Rondo for Westbrook swap seems to be a good trade for both teams.

abe_froman
11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Rondo is not that good. I think most other teams already know that tho.

you'd be surprised

not saying they'll get alot great offers(might not even see one they'd bite on),but there will be plenty of teams trying to get him

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
you'd be surprised

not saying they'll get alot great offers(might not even see one they'd bite on),but there will be plenty of teams trying to get him

Yea, they will get offers, doubt any of them are really good. No one is offering curry, westbrook..... Maybe they can swap him for jennings.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 08:59 AM

It's his attitude. Also Danny realizes Rondo is just about our only player with good trade value. Celtics need to start rebuilding.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Ill take that deal.

Chi StateOfMind
11-29-2011, 09:11 AM
It's his attitude. Also Danny realizes Rondo is just about our only player with good trade value. Celtics need to start rebuilding.

Agree 100%. The old big 3 of Allen-Pierce-KG are older and once they leave the C's will be with who? This is there chance to get talent and go younger. Made a nice run but will NOT beat the Heat.

mjt20mik
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Rondo for Westbrook swap seems to be a good trade for both teams.

This.

Knicks21
11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Ill take that deal.

Of course you would, because it is not a fair deal.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Of course you would, because it is not a fair deal.

Obviously. The Jazz would be stupid to do that. Sometimes I wish GMs were the people who post on PSD.

GunFactor187
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
We could also revisit the Rondo+ for Stuckey+ trade, lol.

tcav701
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I love rondo but it might be time to rebuild. Next years roster is literally Rondo and Pierce, no one else is under contract.

Green is a guy they are high on but he wont start over Pierce and I dont want him at PF.

Maybe a Rondo, Green for Lowry, Scola deal could work?
Or Rondo/Westy swap?

They need 2 or more players while keeping cap space for 2012.
Or a borderline superstar in return.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
We could also revisit the Rondo+ for Stuckey+ trade, lol.

Thanks, but no thanks.

daleja424
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
come on guys... obviously they are "open to trading him"

doesn't mean they will trade him...doesnt even mean they want to trade him... just means that if someone comes up and offers them an elite player rondo is not untouchable.

This isnt really even news...

tcav701
11-29-2011, 10:11 AM
come on guys... obviously they are "open to trading him"

doesn't mean they will trade him...doesnt even mean they want to trade him... just means that if someone comes up and offers them an elite player rondo is not untouchable.

This isnt really even news...

Publicly stating it is news.

If we know it, Rondo knows it, his teamates know it.

Doesnt mean it will happen but they didnt say all players were available, they only said one name.

Hustlenomics
11-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Rondo's trade value isn't that high, his stats are inflated by being around the likes of KG, Allen and Pierce.

he was averaging a triple double in the 09 playoffs when KG went out

daleja424
11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Publicly stating it is news.

If we know it, Rondo knows it, his teamates know it.

Doesnt mean it will happen but they didnt say all players were available, they only said one name.

Where exactly did Boston "publicly state" this... :eyebrow:

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I love rondo but it might be time to rebuild. Next years roster is literally Rondo and Pierce, no one else is under contract.

Green is a guy they are high on but he wont start over Pierce and I dont want him at PF.

Maybe a Rondo, Green for Lowry, Scola deal could work?
Or Rondo/Westy swap?

They need 2 or more players while keeping cap space for 2012.
Or a borderline superstar in return.

Why would houston do that trade? Houston would hang up the phone.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
What exactly happened besides the comment about "trading Perkins was a mistake"? I didn't see Rondo's performance deteriorate after the Perkins trade, but as a Cs fan you obv know better.

Just look up his game logs, he was having a real good year - esp in APG, and he fell to crap, plus he *****ed in the media, and probably a lot to his teammates. Too soft to be a leader of a pro sports team in a tough place to play for anyone.

tcav701
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Where exactly did Boston "publicly state" this... :eyebrow:

Well publicly stating may be an overstatement but they certianly leaked the information.

I'm listening to them discuss it on Boston sports talk radio right now. If Rondo isnt aware of these rumors, he soon will be. And given his attitude, we should find out soon if theres any wings to this.

daleja424
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Well publicly stating may be an overstatement but they certianly leaked the information.

I'm listening to them discuss it on Boston sports talk radio right now. If Rondo isnt aware of these rumors, he soon will be. And given his attitude, we should find out soon if theres any wings to this.

There is nothing to leak... the soruce says they are open to trading him.

That same statement applies to every player in the league (except maybe 3 guys). Everey other guy in the league is tradable for the right deal.

Think of the most untradable guy in the league...and I can come up with a trade that that team would accept for him...

I chnaged my mind, everyone is tradable. There is no such thing as an untradable player.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Yea, they will get offers, doubt any of them are really good. No one is offering curry, westbrook..... Maybe they can swap him for jennings.

Rondo has flaws, but he's one of the 5 best defensive PG's in the game, one of the best passers (and after the old guys retire maybe the best left). His requirement would be to play with some big time scorers. He'd be very good in OKC with his buddy, plus the players they have, and Westbrook is a bit of a punk and he has pissed off Durant. Rondo of course is brutal shooting the ball so you better have a team with 3 very good to great scorers. He'd be killer on the Heat as well.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
he was averaging a triple double in the 09 playoffs when KG went out

Until he proves it off his injury and emotional melt down over Perkins, '09 is in the past.

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Rondo has flaws, but he's one of the 5 best defensive PG's in the game, one of the best passers (and after the old guys retire maybe the best left). His requirement would be to play with some big time scorers. He'd be very good in OKC with his buddy, plus the players they have, and Westbrook is a bit of a punk and he has pissed off Durant. Rondo of course is brutal shooting the ball so you better have a team with 3 very good to great scorers. He'd be killer on the Heat as well.

Yea, he needs scorers all around him. I actually think he would be good on orlando. But orlando has nothing to trade. I think westbrook as not that good either. He's not a pass first PG which is what boston needs imo.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM

He was already rumored to be dealt in Boston in prior years BTW - including Ainge dropping the dime on him directly.

About two months ago I got the search hat on, and found an issue with Rondo every single year of his career but one from a coach, or him quitting the Olympic team with his tail between his legs, or barfing his season over Perkins all the way back to his Freshman year in college. He's a high maint, highly emotional player, that fits a specific need for specific teams.

The Celts won't be that team anymore very shortly if not already. I want him gone, hopefully to the Western Conference.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Yea, he needs scorers all around him. I actually think he would be good on orlando. But orlando has nothing to trade. I think westbrook as not that good either. He's not a pass first PG which is what boston needs imo.

Westbrook will never be the passer Rondo is, and Rondo will never get close to Westbrooks shooting skills. If the Celts can get Westbrook to play some D, and run the sets and pass in an average fashion, then going forward he'd be a better fit then Rondo in Boston. For sure.

daleja424
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
He was already rumored to be dealt in Boston in prior years BTW - including Ainge dropping the dime on him directly.

About two months ago I got the search hat on, and found an issue with Rondo every single year of his career but one from a coach, or him quitting the Olympic team with his tail between his legs, or barfing his season over Perkins all the way back to his Freshman year in college. He's a high maint, highly emotional player, that fits a specific need for specific teams.

The Celts won't be that team anymore very shortly if not already. I want him gone, hopefully to the Western Conference.

You will not get equal value... which means the Celtics will be worse off for having traded him.

Unless you are initiating a rebuild... I can't see how trading Rondo will make you a better team.

daleja424
11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Westbrook will never be the passer Rondo is, and Rondo will never get close to Westbrooks shooting skills. If the Celts can get Westbrook to play some D, and run the sets and pass in an average fashion, then going forward he'd be a better fit then Rondo in Boston. For sure.

Ya...that will NEVER happen. Westbrook is a far more valuable asset than Rondo.

PrettyBoyJ
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Not surprised I always thought he was a product of the big 3 and he has no offensive game..

Byronicle
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
i hope he gets traded

so people realize how much of his "talent" should be credited to the big 3

Chronz
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't know why'd they trade Rondo just for scoring when he sets up everyone else nicely.

The Celtics have had all-world talent for a few years and have never led a proficient offense (except that span with Shaq), so given all these weapons, doesnt it make you wonder why they have never been elite offensively? For all the talk of how they all mesh together, why does their offense fail them?

I think you have to point the finger at the QB who cant shoot and his passing makes him very turnover prone.

Overall, hes not the kind of PG who can lead a great offense, only one who can defer and play great defense. Thats an all-star player but the Celtics need more than that now.

Dolfan305
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I honestly think Rondo wouldn't be half the player he is without the big three. I'd love to see him prove me wrong by playing on another team without 3 great shooters. I just don't think he can do it. At this point in his career he's not going to improve his shot. He just can't score

beasted86
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Celtics are looking to trade him now, rather than later when his stock plummets when the Big 3 are gone.

Rondo is a good PG, but ends up looking like a top 6 PG because of his teammates.

Chronz
11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh crap, if he leaves their offense will be worse.

Im pretty sure they plan on TRADING him. And Im pretty sure they are more concerned about replacing his defensive contributions than his offensive ones.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 10:46 AM
May as well trade him at high highest value point. Obviously they won't be giving him away, but if they can get a young, all star caliber scorer, they would be insane not to think about it heavily.

I have always said this. If Rondo is your starting point (and he would be in a year or two when the old guys start retiring/falling off a cliff production wise), you are now FORCED to have scorers surrounding him, because he has limitations.

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Im pretty sure they plan on TRADING him. And Im pretty sure they are more concerned about replacing his defensive contributions than his offensive ones.

I disagree. If they are trading Rondo it means rebuilding time. They should be looking for a player that has the potential to help/carry the team after the big 3 are gone (which shouldn't be that much longer after Rondo is dealt), which I believe in this case means offensive production.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I am interested to see what Rondo looks like without all that offensive firepower. I think he can still be successful, but it will be interesting regardless.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I disagree. If they are trading Rondo it means rebuilding time. They should be looking for a player that has the potential to help/carry the team after the big 3 are gone (which shouldn't be that much longer after Rondo is dealt), which I believe in this case means offensive production.

Depending on what they get, its not rebuilding time, but the C's have to realize their window is nearly closed, if it isn't already. You don't get healthier in your mid 30's with that much mileage.

Rondo is at the peak of his trade value (actually may have been game 30 last year) and this would be the best time to move him. If his scorers get weaker, it may actually hurt his value even more, because his numbers will drop.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
all this being said, I don't think they move him. They are simply putting feelers out there imo.

justinnum1
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Maybe him for eric gordon.

jtchilln
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Move him now and get a veteran PG on the FA market. If the Celts are not a top 3 team come trade deadline they should move Allen and KG for some future picks. Clear the cap space for Howard and offer him whatever he wants.

Chronz
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I disagree. If they are trading Rondo it means rebuilding time.
We can agree on them rebuilding without any of this revolving around his offensive/defensive contributions so this is irrelevant.

They should be looking for a player that has the potential to help/carry the team after the big 3 are gone (which shouldn't be that much longer after Rondo is dealt), which I believe in this case means offensive production.

But we are talking about what they would MISS from Rondo. Whoever the replacement is, even assuming Rondo is the better player (Which is likely since you rarely get full value in trades) its much more likely that Rondo is a far superior defender than he is an offensive producer (just look at his stats), so why would they be worried about the offensive end when Rondo shines defensively to a greater degree in any viable comparison? It just makes no logical sense

magichatnumber9
11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Westbrizook

ShakeN'Bake
11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
We can agree on them rebuilding without any of this revolving around his offensive/defensive contributions so this is irrelevant.

But we are talking about what they would MISS from Rondo. Whoever the replacement is, even assuming Rondo is the better player (Which is likely since you rarely get full value in trades) its much more likely that Rondo is a far superior defender than he is an offensive producer (just look at his stats), so why would they be worried about the offensive end when Rondo shines defensively to a greater degree in any viable comparison? It just makes no logical sense

You are right, Rondo does contribute more defensively than he does offensively.

Your logic applies when the team is looking for a replacement for Rondo just for the time remaining with the big three. I think that if the celts are dealing Rondo they need to have more of a focus on post-big 3 performance. Since next season would basically be Jeff Green, Paul Pierce and Rondo. I think it is fair to say that they should be looking for offensive value in who ever they get in return for Rondo as that will be a bigger necessity for the future of the team.

BKLYNpigeon
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Move him now and get a veteran PG on the FA market. If the Celts are not a top 3 team come trade deadline they should move Allen and KG for some future picks. Clear the cap space for Howard and offer him whatever he wants.

well under the new CBA

Howard can only get a max contract of 25% of the salary cap.

most teams will have that available.

BKLYNpigeon
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Rondo is not worth the proposed trades. He is not a Superstar or a top 25 player in the league.

avon_barksdale
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
if im the c's i go for chris paul

maybe rondo ray and the clips1st rounder for paul and gray

also if im the c's i try to get okafor wit him

avrpatsfan
11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I heard someone suggest Rondo for Jennings straight up... what a joke, Jennings hasn't shot above 40 percent from the field in his career... that's putrid. He's not near the passer, defender, or re bounder Rondo is. Rondo is far from a superstar, but he's a damn good basketball player who should net more than people are suggesting.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Ya...that will NEVER happen. Westbrook is a far more valuable asset than Rondo.

But to OKC for the next few years it could be the other way around. Westbrook really did not cover himself in glory last year. He upset the star of the franchise - quite a bit.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
The Celtics have had all-world talent for a few years and have never led a proficient offense (except that span with Shaq), so given all these weapons, doesnt it make you wonder why they have never been elite offensively? For all the talk of how they all mesh together, why does their offense fail them?

Because Perkins was an offensive zero? Because the bench had no scoring after '08? Because Rondo doesn't create problems for the D except with his passing. His penetration is well over stated since his FT% stinks and he gets axed every time the D can get a shot at him, that doesn't mean much either.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Depending on what they get, its not rebuilding time, but the C's have to realize their window is nearly closed, if it isn't already. You don't get healthier in your mid 30's with that much mileage.

Rondo is at the peak of his trade value (actually may have been game 30 last year) and this would be the best time to move him. If his scorers get weaker, it may actually hurt his value even more, because his numbers will drop.

Celts should have dealt Rondo the day Perkins got dealt. He was looking like he might set the single season APG record at that point.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Rondo is not worth the proposed trades. He is not a Superstar or a top 25 player in the league.

Assuming you think WS/48 has any value the last 4 years:

58, 25, 48, 100

So assuming we give Rondo a bit of a bye on his Perkins boo-hoo routine, we are talking a 25-60 range NBA player - or if each position is represented 5th through 12th best.

But he isn't that across the board:

Passing/Assists: elite (may be #1 after the old lions retire)
Defense: excellent (top 6 NBA, when he's juiced, he's top 3)
Shooting: worst in the NBA

So, if you want D and facilitation he's better then the 5th-12th PG in the NBA. If you need shooting/scoring he's in the bottom 4 with ease.

In the very near future the Celts need a modern PG - you know can create and score for themselves. And they don't need a Cousy throwback.

Chronz
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Because Perkins was an offensive zero? Because the bench had no scoring after '08? Because Rondo doesn't create problems for the D except with his passing. His penetration is well over stated since his FT% stinks and he gets axed every time the D can get a shot at him, that doesn't mean much either.
The problem with blaming Perk is that it reveals that not only does Rondo require world class shooters on the wings to space the floor, but he needs both of his bigmen to be elite finishers, only then can the Celtics be great offensively.
Thats pretty much what he had while Shaq was healthy but thats asking for alot of talent to make up for the PG's weaknesses. Thats not my idea of an elite floor general (Offensively)

The talent hes had around him would warrant a better offensive finish IMO but because the Celtics have often had 2 non-shooters on the floor with neither of them being strong inside, they have relied far too often on the skill games from the perimeter trio. And as great as they are, you can only rely on Jumpers to a certain degree.

You cant blame Perkins for being one of those non-shooters, his position doesnt stress it, and if anyone in the chain is a bad offensive performer, the defensive bigman in spot minutes is an understandable conclusion.

I can however blame the PG for not being able to shoot and as a result being limited in his attack.

I dont want to say Rondo makes his teammates worse, because I honestly switch back and forth on the subject depending on how well KG is playing. Nor am I saying that hes more to blame than Perkins is (obviously the weakest offensive performer who contributes the least is the biggest reason).
Just that, given what Rondo has had to work with, even with Perk being a zero, just that hes not the kind of PG who can lead a great offense unless everyone is a competent threat. In other words hes the weak link who can get everyone else shots, when elite floor generals can consistently create high % looks because the individual must be respected.

I had a similar problem with J-Kidd, he was an overrated offensive player.

PS Perk had a year where he was strong on the inside.

Lo Porto
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
The Jazz and Celtics could deal here. Big Al back in Boston next to the Big 3 would make sense but I don't know if Rondo in Utah works. Who is a 3rd team who wants Rondo who would trade value to Utah?

Chronz
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Rondo for Tony Parker, BOOK IT

Knickfansince97
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
rondo for westbrook that would be perfect

Reversed86Curse
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
false.
just my opinion

You are incorrect. Watch every Celtics game and you will have a different interpretation. Rondo is the guy behind the wheel.

Second bold statement, don't agree with that either. He has played well with one or more of the 3 out of the lineup for stretches. Last year, being hurt as much as he was, was definitely an off year.

That said, if the C's can get better pieces for the team out of a trade, do it.

bagwell368
11-29-2011, 03:01 PM
The problem with blaming Perk is that it reveals that not only does Rondo require world class shooters on the wings to space the floor, but he needs both of his bigmen to be elite finishers, only then can the Celtics be great offensively.

No. You are assuming too much. Perkins literally can't catch a pass, his points are on put backs by and large. So since Rondo can't shoot and Perk can't shoot the defense laces it itself around the the 3 other guys - or at least guards passing lanes, and watches areas - making clear passes harder to find. When Perk was hurt/sitting for Shaq last year, or in '08 when other guys were playing the 5, Rondo was more effective. I believe Shaq said that Rondo was the best PG he ever played with - of course if you wait long enough Shaq will pretty much say everything - lol.

Thats pretty much what he had while Shaq was healthy but thats asking for alot of talent to make up for the PG's weaknesses. Thats not my idea of an elite floor general (Offensively)

5th-12th best PG isn't elite. As we agree he can pass and defend, and shoot lay-ups. If he could shoot even as well as Delonte, he'd be a top 3 guard.

The talent hes had around him would warrant a better offensive finish IMO but because the Celtics have often had 2 non-shooters on the floor with neither of them being strong inside, they have relied far too often on the skill games from the perimeter trio. And as great as they are, you can only rely on Jumpers to a certain degree.

KG was always best IMO when he made himself go inside which he just doesn't do enough IMO - but that was true before he came too. He also likes to pass a lot for a dominant 4.5 PF.

PP spends about as much time driving inside to draw fouls as any 3 in the league - in past few years he's started to move outside more since he can't take the pounding anymore - but earlier in Rondo's time, it was a factor.

RA against only the Lakers in the playoffs went into the paint which he was quite good at, but overall? He's way out.

Yeah by all means give us 1999 Shaq in 2008 and watch the 72 win record go up in ashes.

You cant blame Perkins for being one of those non-shooters, his position doesnt stress it, and if anyone in the chain is a bad offensive performer, the defensive bigman in spot minutes is an understandable conclusion.

Well if we can't blame Perkins for having hands like feet, then Rondo can't be blamed either. No. That's not right. Perkins did what he could do, as Rondo does. It's a limitation and either DA is a genius for crafting that team with two major no-ops in terms of shooting, or it was a lucky stroke.

I can however blame the PG for not being able to shoot and as a result being limited in his attack.

Well. We'll have to set that aside.

I dont want to say Rondo makes his teammates worse, because I honestly switch back and forth on the subject depending on how well KG is playing. Nor am I saying that hes more to blame than Perkins is (obviously the weakest offensive performer who contributes the least is the biggest reason).
Just that, given what Rondo has had to work with, even with Perk being a zero, just that hes not the kind of PG who can lead a great offense unless everyone is a competent threat. In other words hes the weak link who can get everyone else shots, when elite floor generals can consistently create high % looks because the individual must be respected.

I had a similar problem with J-Kidd, he was an overrated offensive player.

PS Perk had a year where he was strong on the inside.

Put it this way, if the Heat give up two junk guys (even a S&T) to make the money work, and deal the Celts #1's for '12, '14, '16 for Rondo - the Heat will win 1-2 titles MORE with Rondo depending on how long Wade keeps it together. The '12 and '14 picks will be 30+ - only the '16 one after Wade is done, and one of the other big two gone or fading will hurt them to lose.

Rondo is like an Islay single malt scotch. Either you really like it, or you hate it. Rondo would be a huge get for 2-5 NBA teams, and a six finger glove for the rest. The Celts won't be able to make good use of him for long, best to move him now - to the Western Conference. OKC would be well advised to close a deal featuring Westbrook for Rondo. Besides the reunification of the two amigos, Rondo becomes the elite feeder that they need, and they eject the spikey personality thinks a bit too much of his game and his shot Westbrook.

Gram
11-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Put yourself in Milwaukee's shoes, and ask yourself how that looks.

nate2usmc
11-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Still don't know why Boston would trade away their star PG. Unless they think their big 3 are gonna retire after this season and just blow their team up. Fire sale?

JordansBulls
11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
thats crazy.

Depends who it is for. I'd trade Rondo/Ray Allen for Westbrook and Harden if I'm the Thunder?