PDA

View Full Version : Shaq:"Kobe Bryant Greatest Laker of All-Time"

Bruno
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/shaq-uncut_n_1116611.html

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO

15-time NBA All Star and four-time NBA Champion Shaquille O'Neal spoke candidly Monday with KTLA about his new autobiography "Shaq Uncut: My Story."

Watch to find out what O'Neal said about being beaten as a child; the time he stole a car; his relationship with Kobe Bryant; the NBA lockout; and who he thinks is the "greatest Laker of all time."

XJW18
11-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Love his *** Kissing.

beliges
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Kobe is the greatest Lakers player of all time. The Lakers have never had a guy as talented on both ends of the floor be so dominant for a longer time with his tenure as a Laker. Not even Magic. But its debatable between Kobe and Magic but my nod would go to Kobe as he has pretty much every single major Lakers record at this point, including post season records and he has achieved as much success as Magic and still has a few years to add on.

GREATNESS ONE
11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
^ Yes yes I looooooooooooove Kobe but let's not go as far to say he's passed Magic yet. He'll definitely/Most likely end up as the GLOAT with a sweet statue out front !! But let's wait until his career is done to finally make a fair assessment.

Avenged
11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not going to argue it.. I think Magic is still ahead of him but I can't be mad with someone putting Kobe as #1

GREATNESS ONE
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
^ Yeah you're right, man how lucky are we to have grown up watching these legends ! lol

JordansBulls
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.ktla.com/videogallery/66368645/News/KTLA-Shaq-Talks-Lakers-Kobe-NBA-Lockout

Here's a video of Shaq talking about his new book and admitting that Kobe is probably the greatest Laker of all time. It got kind of awkward when they asked how he thought he ranked against Kobe all-time and he was like "Uh.. we play two different positions im one of the greatest bigs of all time"

Dankster
11-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I still have Magic ranked higher than him...Magic truly revolutionized the game and he's probably the only guy in NBA history where you can make an argument that he was the greatest player to ever play the game not named Michael Jordan (some pundits actually have him ranked higher than Mike.)

Hawkeye15
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
If Shaq said it, it must be true....

He never shuts up. Who cares? We all know Kobe is one of the top Lakers ever. I have Magic ranked higher.

justinnum1
11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
No, not higher than magic

SteBO
11-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I have Magic higher on the list personally, but it's nice of Shaq to acknowledge Kobe. Still wish he'd stfu sometimes though.......

lakers4sho
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I have the Kobester ahead of Magic, but only by a tiny bit. Another championship and finals MVP propels him to new heights.

kblo247
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
When TNT kicks off he will be too 5.

That said not surprising to hear him say that. Jeanie Buss is on record of saying that on AM570. Jerry West is on record saying that to Max and Marcellus. Magic admitted that after number 5 on ABc. Phil said it on Philosophy 101 last season. James Worthy said it before Kobe even won number 4 on KCAL. Jerry loves him and Tao danced around it by saying he is by far the most skilled and best for business, but he loves Magic, Kobe, and West equally lol. Jimmy said it and they don't even like one another. Coop said it coaching the Sparks. tex gave him the mantle. Derek has said it. Fox has said it. And we all know Mitch stands there as he said it when he gave him the extension. In short not uncommon.

To me it comes down to who as a Laker played roles to help their team win than Kobe? He was the 1b scorer putting up first option numbers. He was the second rebounder behind Shaq. He was the primary defender until Artest came along. He has been the primary facilitator on 7 finals teams and won 5 rings, while many so called pass first PG's could hope for. He has the All NBA teams, scoring titles, rings, MVP's, and is in the top or. Lose to it throughout the entire team record book.

With all due respect to Magic, he was blessed with far more deep teams that refined his role so that he didn't have to be a man with many hats and defend the best player or his position, score primarily, or have his every move dissected. He was unique as hell, but he too wasn't perfect. He got hid on defense. He made a demand of fire the coach or trade me. He lost in the finals 4 times and got swept out (Worthy actually bashed Magic his summer for bashing LA like they never got swept or they three peated)

All that said Shaq will kill him weeks from now and knock him for attention with a smile on his face so people can say oh that is Shaq being Shaq and Kobe should be grateful to him and have think skin, then change his mind again and play nice when Kobe is shining so people can say see his is being nice. The **** has been the same ever since Kobe became a starter in 99 as it relates to Shaq using Kobe's name in the media

ALDAVIS>NFL
11-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Shaq is correct!
Kobe holds almost every raiders record so who can blame him only people who have a grudge against Kobe will disagree

Evolution23
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Magic

LegendX
11-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Shaq is correct!
Kobe holds almost every raiders record so who can blame him only people who have a grudge against Kobe will disagree

In what dimension does Kobe Bryant play for the Raiders?

I dunno if I agree with the comment of Kobe being the best Laker, Magic was pretty damn good and being second to either of them isn't a bad thin by any means. I didn't watch the video but how sincere did Shaq sound when he made the comments?

Zefflin
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
haha Shaq...the best of all time **** stirrer

IndiansFan337
11-29-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.ktla.com/videogallery/66368645/News/KTLA-Shaq-Talks-Lakers-Kobe-NBA-Lockout

Kobe also played his entire career with LAL, whereas Shaq was there for only about half of his career.

Kobe and Magic are the two greatest Lakers, not necessarily in that order. I think Kareem would probably have to rank ahead of Shaq in terms of greatest Lakers too -- Not saying Kareem had a better career than Shaq.

Avenged
11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Surprised Shaq didn't say he was the greatest Laker of all-time instead though.

Teeboy1487
11-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Magic, Jerry West, then Kobe for me.

dodie53
11-29-2011, 01:52 AM
magic > kobe
imo.

Angelus™
11-29-2011, 02:23 AM
I dont think Kobe is there yet but, by the end of his career he will be

Hellcrooner
11-29-2011, 04:00 AM
wake me up when some other 6,9 Point guard appears in the nba.

Wade>You
11-29-2011, 04:12 AM
Any Jerry West fans here ? (rhetorical question ;))

How many steals did Jerry West average per game? Steals weren't tracked back then (only his last season, he had 2.6spg) but the announcer in this video says he was averaging just under 10 steals per game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oey1s3JI3m8

Bruno
11-29-2011, 06:38 AM
That said not surprising to hear him say that. Jeanie Buss is on record of saying that on AM570. Jerry West is on record saying that to Max and Marcellus. Magic admitted that after number 5 on ABc. Phil said it on Philosophy 101 last season. James Worthy said it before Kobe even won number 4 on KCAL. Jerry loves him and Tao danced around it by saying he is by far the most skilled and best for business, but he loves Magic, Kobe, and West equally lol. Jimmy said it and they don't even like one another. Coop said it coaching the Sparks. tex gave him the mantle. Derek has said it. Fox has said it. And we all know Mitch stands there as he said it when he gave him the extension. In short not uncommon.

Easy to forget that all these basketball minds are already on record stating what Shaq just said. If Shaq were the first person to say this, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But he isn't. Magic himself, Jerry West, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Jimmy and Jeanine Bus, the list goes on. All respectable basketball minds within the organization.

Kobe has an argument, I personally won't bump him past Magic 'till he retires outta respect. There's no denying who the better two-way player was, but Magic was a leader from the beginning of his career and still has two more finals appearances under his belt. If Bryant lands #6, or finishes as the leading scorer in NBA playoff history (something he's still within reach of doing) then I'd lose no sleep over callin' Bryant #1 over Magic. Still up in the air, IMO. I do think it's them two leading the pack as of 2011.

Luv Da New Pack
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry but when you have a Laker who is the logo for the sport and another that changed the game as and established a true hybrid position of Point-Forward I think it's hard to argue that.

It's funny when Shaq talks of how bad Kobe is everybody was like "stfu, you lazy bastard. You don't know anything about basketball and are jealous. You're ********"....

But when he comes out with this people are like "Stand back, one of the greatest Centers to ever lace them up is speaking. He's a true prophet".

Subjectivity. Gotta love it.

KillaInstinct24
11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
i think kobe is definitely the most complete and skilled laker of all time. but magic's personality, charisma, and persona will propel him ahead...that is unless kobe wins 2-3 more rings

Avenged
11-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry but when you have a Laker who is the logo for the sport and another that changed the game as and established a true hybrid position of Point-Forward I think it's hard to argue that.

It's funny when Shaq talks of how bad Kobe is everybody was like "stfu, you lazy bastard. You don't know anything about basketball and are jealous. You're ********"....

But when he comes out with this people are like "Stand back, one of the greatest Centers to ever lace them up is speaking. He's a true prophet".

Subjectivity. Gotta love it.

I can see the Jerry West argument but he's the logo because his era came first. If you had Magic, Kobe etc.. then they would probably be the logo's instead.

MTar786
11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
wake me up when some other 6,9 Point guard appears in the nba.

lebron james

faster than magic, great court vision, better defender by far, can penetrate with the best of them, great passer, more range than magic, played a few season as the starting pg already. he may not fare as well as magic did at pg but he could do it

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Love his *** Kissing.

For being the bigger man and not continuing the feud?

One can make the argument that Kobe is the greatest Laker of all time, so its not *** kissing. Shaq is just being real.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
lebron james

faster than magic, great court vision, better defender by far, can penetrate with the best of them, great passer, more range than magic, played a few season as the starting pg already. he may not fare as well as magic did at pg but he could do it

yep thats a good response....providing you think games only have 3 quarters :D

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
lebron james

How many rings does Lebron have again? Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7. 0.