PDA

View Full Version : Chinese teams not willing to release NBA players! "Including 3 Nuggets players"

spreadeagle
11-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Many players were reluctant to sign in China after a rule was established that there would be no provision to allow them to opt out if the NBA lockout was resolved.

Kenyon Martin, Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith are amongst the players who signed in China and there appears to be no willingness on the part of their teams to release them from their contact, according to sources.

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/141191029096333312

Hawkeye15
11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Too bad. They shouldn't have signed over there. The Chinese league was very up-front about this.

DoMeFavors
11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
They will be back in March and ready to join contenders in the playoffs

John Walls Era
11-28-2011, 04:25 PM
They probably know this. K-Mart didn't seem to care and he said he would just come back when the season is over (no link).

Celticsfan2007
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
lol, sucks for these guys

mttwlsn16
11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Ha!

King P
11-28-2011, 04:36 PM
:laugh2: @ J.R. Smith faking an injury to get out of his contract

DodgerBulls
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I see no problem with this. This shouldn't be an issue at all since they all know what they were getting themselves into.

DodgerBulls
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM

The funny thing is that the team were ready to release him, with him having to pay back every cent, but Marbury stepped in and handled it. Then Smith only had to apologize and the team will allow him to stay. He apologized and 2 days after, NBA lockout ended. :p

oak2455
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I heard they gonna love them longtime :D

PhillyFaninLA
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
The funny thing is that the team were ready to release him, with him having to pay back every cent, but Marbury stepped in and handled it. Then Smith only had to apologize and the team will allow him to stay. He apologized and 2 days after, NBA lockout ended. :p

I heard him staying overseas was one of the keys to the negotiations. Could just be a rumor though.

spreadeagle
11-28-2011, 04:45 PM
i heard him staying overseas was one of the keys to the negotiations. Could just be a rumor though.

ha!

DodgerBulls
11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I heard him staying overseas was one of the keys to the negotiations. Could just be a rumor though.

:laugh: Maybe that issue was more important than the BRI.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
nba without k-mart is a better place

bovice163
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm sure being the spoiled NBA athletes they are, they'll weasel their way out of them. The sense of entitlement exhibited by some of these players, especially after what JR did, is just ridiculous. They knew exactly what they were getting themselves into, so why not play out the contract?

Ebbs
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Hawk nuggs won't see playoffs with those 3 gone.

magichatnumber9
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
They see me rollin' they hatin. Nah for real . that's there choice

bringinwood
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I wonder what the precedent is for international players, that have no previous affliation with the country they signed a contract in, breaking that contract...

I can't see anyway to enforced the contract...

What would happen ??? They are fugitives in China ???

They can't play in China anymore ???

The only way I see the contract being enforced would be if the NBA decided that Chandler, Smith, and Martin weren't eligible to play for an NBA franchise...

I have a feeling those three will be playing in the NBA come Christmas...

sep11ie
11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
In further news, tattoo's will be down 28% in the NBA this year.

DLeeicious
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM

They should go for a draft pick this year. Fine Denver, we'll take Afflalo off your hands.

nyanks79
11-28-2011, 05:32 PM
They just leave then. Contracts are through FIBA not China Im pretty sure. Either way Id love to see Kenyon Martin and his team get into it about him leaving.

GoPacers33
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Thy prolly thought they wouldn't miss anything

Byronicle
11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
the thread title is a bit misleading. its not like china is imprisoning these players. should be more "NBA players wanting to bailout of their contractual promises"

they signed the contract and these teams made it well known that you have to fulfill the entire term of the contract

Byronicle
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM

lmao

iam brett favre
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM
So chinese teams are sticking to the contracts that the players signed? .....shocking :shrug:

bringinwood
11-28-2011, 05:54 PM
So chinese teams are sticking to the contracts that the players signed? .....shocking :shrug:

That's fair... But, it's not like the Chinese government has any leg to stand on here...

The only way anything happens is if the NBA black lists these players to keep from setting precedent for international players coming over to the NBA...

I can't see that happening though due to no teams being able or willing to outbid even the lowest revenue teams in the NBA...

itsripcity32
11-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Didn't we already know this wa gonna happen.

itsripcity32
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Racist.

ClippersE.G
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
hahaah

NYKalltheway
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
The players have contracts with the TEAMS, not the Chinese league or FIBA, the Chinese govnerment or anything... It's the team's decision if they stay or go, since they are under contract I'm assuming it's stay ;)

ManningToTyree
11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
They knew this when they signed the deals. They gambled thinking there wouldn't be a season and it backfired. Sucks for Denver.

dhopisthename
11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
so what would happen if they just left?

iliketurtles24
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
haha, glad my wolves are all here

ChiSoxJuan
11-28-2011, 06:12 PM
The NBA respects FIBA so there is no way Stern will let them enter the NBA if they just leave. The Nuggets are thoroughly screwed & will now have to scramble to complete their roster. Coming off the Melodrama year, I pity Nuggets fans. Scrambling like this means overpaying for talent.

Ill21
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Damn i feel bad for Denver. When they come back are they still nuggets or can they sign with any team?

PhillyFaninLA
11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
so what would happen if they just left?

You might destroy the NBA imagine in China if you let them play. China has more basketball fans (literally) then the US does total citizens. The Chinese market closing for endorsements would potentially cost the NBA sponsors (like Nike, Rebook, and maybe Gatorade) because they want to keep the Asian market happy. It would also over time cost NBA players billions (again literally) over years in lost endorsements overseas.

They just leave they better not expect to ever play professional basketball anywhere in the world or have any job that requires a contract.

PhillyFaninLA
11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Damn i feel bad for Denver. When they come back are they still nuggets or can they sign with any team?

They lose a year of there contract, or maybe come back for part of a season for a pro rated part. I don't know the Chinese league season so if they come back for 20 or 30 games they can still probably get a pro rated contract, but I suspect the Nuggets would still take a full salary cap hit.

TheNumber37
11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
non issue. these guys Will sign with playoff teams and make rasheed Wallace impacts. Kmart to the mavs, Jr to the.bulls, Chandler to Knicks.

northsider
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Sooo what is to say they just ****ing up and leave China hahahahaha. I guess then again the NBA would not allow them to play cause of the **** storm that would cause.

Hawkeye15
11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
You might destroy the NBA imagine in China if you let them play. China has more basketball fans (literally) then the US does total citizens. The Chinese market closing for endorsements would potentially cost the NBA sponsors (like Nike, Rebook, and maybe Gatorade) because they want to keep the Asian market happy. It would also over time cost NBA players billions (again literally) over years in lost endorsements overseas.

They just leave they better not expect to ever play professional basketball anywhere in the world or have any job that requires a contract.

agree 100%

BallIsAll
11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
dont feel bad for us denver fans we still have 3 good young starters in lawson gallo and afflalo and we have a bunch of cap space im happy everyone left we should have started over a while ago.. if we retain nene or get a good starting pf and slide mozzy in and let him learn we'll be fine. we just need 1 veteran big man we're gonna look like a college team out there lol

i like it.

BearaBull23
11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Surprise! They meant it. NO OUT CLAUSE. :facepalm:

Rivera
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
The players have contracts with the TEAMS, not the Chinese league or FIBA, the Chinese govnerment or anything... It's the team's decision if they stay or go, since they are under contract I'm assuming it's stay ;)

This...except i dont assume they will stay...they will get back to theNBA

Since that league in china isnt goverened by FIBA i dont expect the nba players to honor there contract...in that league in china a player can get cut without compensation or a team will just stop paying that player...its part of the corruption in that league...so i expect the nba players just to walk out and leave that league to return to the NBA since those owners dont honor contracts anyway

iam brett favre
11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
The players are getting what they deserve, they signed a ****ing contract...

bringinwood
11-28-2011, 06:51 PM

There is zero chance the NBA loses billions of dollars or endorsement deals from Nike, Reebok or gatorade because KMart, Smith, and Chandler wouldn't honor contracts to play in China...

Whether Stern allows them to play in the NBA is a different story... I have a feeling the NBAPA would step in and have a major say about Stern's authority on situations that involve one contract being honored over another, previously signed, contract...

It has to be said that the NBA was, is and will continue to be marketable, not because of American players going to China, but because of China producing players into the NBA...

China has opened it's gates more and more since the 70s and with the revenue stream that China sees, residually, from the NBA, I can't ever see them saying they'll stop allowing athletes to partipate in professional sports in the US regardless of what happens with this situation...

northsider
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
The Chinese might get a first hand look at how much a NBA player values a "contract". I understand it isn't likely they get let out but, I have a hard time believing they don't find some way or loop hole to weasel out of this.

bringinwood
11-28-2011, 07:05 PM
The Chinese might get a first hand look at how much a NBA player values a "contract". I understand it isn't likely they get let out but, I have a hard time believing they don't find some way or loop hole to weasel out of this.

Weasle out of what ???

The Chinese government has zero authority in terms of enforcement over US citizens...

The Chinese government can't enforce negotiated contracts between privately owned franchises and US professional players...

The worst thing that will happen is those players will be black listed from ever negotiating with professional Chinese organizations...

I dont think they care about that...

Stern may make a bit of a fuss over this, but when it comes to authority, he has zero...

Can Stern make player's pay their cable bills ???

Stern can't make NBA players honor any contract other than the one they signed with the NBA...

Knick4Knack
11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Weasle out of what ???

The Chinese government has zero authority in terms of enforcement over US citizens...

The Chinese government can't enforce negotiated contracts between privately owned franchises and US professional players...

The worst thing that will happen is those players will be black listed from ever negotiating with professional Chinese organizations...

I dont think they care about that...

Stern may make a bit of a fuss over this, but when it comes to authority, he has zero...

Can Stern make player's pay their cable bills ???

Stern can't make NBA players honor any contract other than the one they signed with the NBA...

That trio won't be coming back until their seasons are done in China.

They signed a contract, and were told up front what to expect. Player image already took a hit during the lockout. You think that's gonna fly, having them just go back on their word and come home? The media would sink their teeth into this. It would be a major issue to deal with in a season where the NBA needs time to exhale and repair its image.

If it were Lebron, Wade or Durant - maybe the NBA and NBAPA go to bat for them and find a way.

That aint happening with Chandler, K-mart or Smith.

It's only four months. NBA and NBAPA BOTH tell them to wait it out.

TO Rapz
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM

:laugh2:

PHX2daDEATH
11-28-2011, 07:34 PM
The Nuggets will be fine.. just think the only two standing from the Melo deal are Danilo and Mozgov right? But they have a ton of cap-space.. NeNe should be first in line..Chandler and Smith can easily be replaced..

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
they have every right to do this as this was made known to anyone that signed.
those who signed should fulfill their end of the contract.

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Surprise! They meant it. NO OUT CLAUSE. :facepalm:

did you mean...?
SUPPLIES! (http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/animated-gif-asians-supplies-closet-surprise.gif)

Mishmin
11-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I think people are sleeping on Wilson Chandler. I would hang on to him if I were Denver.

Evolution23
11-28-2011, 09:06 PM
The New York nuggets were such a great story last year but now they only have a few players back and I doubt they make it past the 1st round again (if they get to the playoffs). Not only do they lose their 3 players for the year but also Nene will be gone in free agency. So the lineup looks like Lawson, Alfolo, Gallo, Harington, and Birdman.

Byronicle
11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
lol why do people keep saying the "Chinese Government"?

this has nothing to do with the Chinese Government. the players signed a contract with a team.

Mudvayne91
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM

JR and Kmart were UFA that made it fairly clear they weren't coming back. Chandler is a RFA, so when he comes back, Nuggets will still have rights to his contract when he comes back.

However, they have quite a bit of cap space. I could be wrong, but I believe the most in the NBA and they have to spend at least 85% of that cap limit, which the Kroenkes hadn't be shy about spending in the past. I think they'll be just fine.

JJ_JKidd
11-28-2011, 09:38 PM

LOL! :p

dodie53
11-28-2011, 09:59 PM
will buy out their contracts eventually

DenButsu
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
This is from a month ago at CBS Sports (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33050631):

J.R. Smith, Chandler to be released in China
Posted on: October 31, 2011 10:37 am
Posted by Royce Young

When J.R. Smith and Wilson Chandler signed contracts to play in China during the lockout, it appears they were basically out of the 2011-12 NBA season. The Chinese Basketball Association built in a "no opt-out" clause that wouldn't allow temporary renting of NBA players during the lockout.

Doesn't appear that rule holds much weight. Already Earl Clark has gone to the Far East and returned despite the no opt-out rule. And you might be able to add two more that: J.R. Smith and Wilson Chandler.

ESPN.com reports there's a "quiet expectation in Chinese basketball circles is that Chandler and Smith will be released by teams there when NBA lockout ends."

But how? I thought there was a rule stopping this from happening?

There is, but that doesn't mean teams can't waive their players. And if Chandler and Smith's teams were to waive them, they'd be free to return if they want. And not just that, but players can sort of force their team's hand to waive them by asking for it or just refusing to play. Chinese hoops blog NIUBBall put it this way:

Technically, yes that’s true. But you forgot to consider an important point — this is the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association)! Despite what the language of a contract may say, there are no such things as “guaranteed contracts” and “no out-clauses.” When it comes down to it, no team is willing to pay and play an import that doesn’t want to be here. With China’s paper thin pool of domestic talent, imports are relied heavily upon to be the focus of the offense and put up huge numbers. If a player doesn’t want to be here, there’s no reason for a team to keep him on board only to see his performance decline on the stat sheet and the team’s losses stack up in the standings.

As for former Nugget teammate Kenyon Martin, the report says Martin's team Xinjiang wants him to stay with them the entire season. Which if the team wants it and is willing to continue to pay him, then that rule carries weight.

When free agency finally starts in the NBA, Chandler would be a restricted free agent and Smith unrestricted.

Even if this is true, it's highly unlikely J.R. will return to Denver.

But since Chandler's restricted, the Nuggets will be able to either retain him or trade him for some decent value back, if they choose to do so. They might opt for the latter, since he made a little noise last season about not really wanting to be there, and I'd assume they'd rather get something back for him than let him walk for nothing.