PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me understand the amnesty clause?

nyfinest4life
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
im not too sure bout this amnesty clause. a team can just get rid of some1 with a bad contract and it doesnt count on the cap anymore?? or is that incorrect?? some1 explain it to me. thanks

Sadds The Gr8
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
im not too sure bout this amnesty clause. a team can just get rid of some1 with a bad contract and it doesnt count on the cap anymore?? or is that incorrect?? some1 explain it to me. thanks

that's basically it.

IndyRealist
11-27-2011, 12:41 AM
You can use it once on a currently existing contract, at any time for the length of the CBA. So Chicago could use it on Carlos Boozer this year, next year, etc., but if they signed Mike Dunleavy and then changed their minds, they couldn't use it on him.

They still have to pay the full amount of the contract, but it doesn't count against the salary cap.

nyfinest4life
11-27-2011, 12:41 AM
o woww really?? thats so awesome for teams like the nets, wizards, n the magic cuz they have players like outlaw, rashard lewis, n arenas who all have terrible contracts n now it looks like they could just get rid of them and save tons of the cap. thats great for those teams

nyfinest4life
11-27-2011, 12:42 AM
o ok. some teams must be real happy right now. so they still have to pay those guys but it doesnt count on the cap anymore. wow. thanks guys

hovyboo
11-27-2011, 01:28 AM
My question is once a player is cut (let's say arenas for example) I know he is paid his entire contract by his old team. But when he is signed by a new team what kind of contract can he receive? Seems to me like these poor cut players are going to make their contract values plus what ever they sign for. I hope they are restrictions on their deals

Slug3
11-27-2011, 02:29 AM
My question is once a player is cut (let's say arenas for example) I know he is paid his entire contract by his old team. But when he is signed by a new team what kind of contract can he receive? Seems to me like these poor cut players are going to make their contract values plus what ever they sign for. I hope they are restrictions on their deals

They can get whatever a team offers them. But they might be more willing to take a vet minimum deal as they will still be receiving a good check from the old club.

astrosmaniac
11-27-2011, 04:03 AM
o woww really?? thats so awesome for teams like the nets, wizards, n the magic cuz they have players like outlaw, rashard lewis, n arenas who all have terrible contracts n now it looks like they could just get rid of them and save tons of the cap. thats great for those teams

its also good for teams like the rockets who dont necessarily have a really bad contract. they could save it, then trade for one of these bad existing contracts and use their exemption to get out of it. obviously for taking the bad contract, they team dumping it will have to give them something they want (picks, cash, cheap young players, etc)

RevisIsland
11-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Get out of a bad contract for the cap and luxury tax but you still have to pay them.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-27-2011, 11:22 AM
The owner still has to pay the full amount of the contract to the amnestied player though. So some small markets might decide to hang onto players. But they are off the cap.

xxplayerxx23
11-27-2011, 11:31 AM
We needed it when we had eddie curry :P Or starbury at the end

ichitownclowni
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok I get this now, I did not understand at first.

PhillyFaninLA
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Here is what the amnesty clause is (haven't read other posts so this may be repetitive):

- can be used once
- it allows you to get rid of a player currently under contract

what does that entail:

- contract is taken off the books (salary cap)
- player receives full contract amount still owed but team can use the cap money that is now available

Slug3
11-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm interested to see of any team uses it on a player then resigns them for cheap. Unless you can't.

jericho
11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm interested to see of any team uses it on a player then resigns them for cheap. Unless you can't.

yeah i was thinking bout this what if some team does that lets like the heat use it on lebron and then resing him for cheap and get d12 or the knicks do something similar or some other team wld they be able 2 ??? yeaht i know that wld sux

king4day
11-27-2011, 12:49 PM
o ok. some teams must be real happy right now. so they still have to pay those guys but it doesnt count on the cap anymore. wow. thanks guys

I dunno any team will be happy they're paying someone like Arenas 45mil to play for another team.
But it most def helps contenders and a team like Orlando who has a couple of bad contracts now.

king4day
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM

yeah i was thinking bout this what if some team does that lets like the heat use it on lebron and then resing him for cheap and get d12 or the knicks do something similar or some other team wld they be able 2 ??? yeaht i know that wld sux

If I recall correctly, the player released can't return to their original team until the next season. I'm sure your reasons are why they put that stipulation in.

king4day
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
We're gonna see big name players that get released go to Miami, LA, Chicago and probably NY this year. It'll depend on if the player released want to play for a ring or get the bigger paycheck.

I think what the NBA should do (or should have done) was put a stipulation in where the player released can be claimed off waivers instead of allowing them to pick whatever team they want (as the NFL has it).

For anyone who thinks it's a bad idea, you have to realize that it's really no different than trading a player somewhere he doesn't want to go. Once there, you're there till your'e traded or the contract ends.
The team releasing the player is still responsible for the salary.

EDIT: To add to this, if the owners really wanted competitive balance, then this flaw should have been addressed (and maybe it was but I doubt it).

ChronicTrigger
11-27-2011, 01:13 PM
someone tell me how to put a custom picture at the bottem of my posts

llemon
11-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Last amnesty clause, amnestied players had to give some of their new salary from the team that signed them back to the team that amnestied them.

icon1914
11-27-2011, 01:29 PM
So you can only use it once... ever... or once a year... once every 7 years?

jericho
11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
If I recall correctly, the player released can't return to their original team until the next season. I'm sure your reasons are why they put that stipulation in.

good thank god cuz that wld have been scary lol

llemon
11-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Not sure if this guy got it correctly, but here goes.......

As per Bret Lagree at Hoop Opinion concerning the Amnesty Clause.

A modified waiver process will be used for players waived pursuant to the amnesty rule, under which teams with room under the cap can submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the players' contract. If a player's contract is claimed in this manner, the remaining portion of the player's salary will continue to be paid by the team that waived him.

daleja424
11-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Not sure if this guy got it correctly, but here goes.......

As per Bret Lagree at Hoop Opinion concerning the Amnesty Clause.

A modified waiver process will be used for players waived pursuant to the amnesty rule, under which teams with room under the cap can submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the players' contract. If a player's contract is claimed in this manner, the remaining portion of the player's salary will continue to be paid by the team that waived him.

correct. if no one puts in a bid...the player becomes a UFA

llemon
11-27-2011, 02:01 PM
correct. if no one puts in a bid...the player becomes a UFA

Should stop the Lakers and Heat from just grabbing any amnestied player they want.

daleja424
11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
yup. no one of any value will pass through the waiver process. teams could offer to pick up the minimum amount of the contract and get the guys.

I like that though.

rwynyc
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
This will def help out Orlando.

So they could actually trade d12 & arenas to a team willing to amnesty arenas, and then use there own amnesty on turk or vice versa. It would suck losing d12 but if they could get rid of turk and arenas you live to fight another day some time soon rather then years later.

I think the wizards would be crazy to use on Lewis. Doesnt he have one more year left in his contract?

llemon
11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
This will def help out Orlando.

So they could actually trade d12 & arenas to a team willing to amnesty arenas, and then use there own amnesty on turk or vice versa. It would suck losing d12 but if they could get rid of turk and arenas you live to fight another day some time soon rather then years later.

I think the wizards would be crazy to use on Lewis. Doesnt he have one more year left in his contract?

Rashard is owed about $13 mil in '12-'13.

llemon
11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
yup. no one of any value will pass through the waiver process. teams could offer to pick up the minimum amount of the contract and get the guys.

I like that though.

I like that rule too. It actually addresses improved competitiveness.

fadedmario
11-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet - When a player get's cut under the amnesty clause - the team can spread out the payments owed to the player. So even if it's a huge contract - they can spread it out so it doesn't hurt the team/owner's finances. So players like Gilbert Arenas aren't going to get their regular paychecks with their old deal - they will get smaller checks spread out over more years.

YoungOne
11-27-2011, 03:04 PM
its also good for teams like the rockets who dont necessarily have a really bad contract. they could save it, then trade for one of these bad existing contracts and use their exemption to get out of it. obviously for taking the bad contract, they team dumping it will have to give them something they want (picks, cash, cheap young players, etc)

are u sure they can amnesty traded contracts?
I dont know about that one, please give me a source ;)