PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis and Baron Davis are being monitored by Lakers

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 09:58 PM
The Lakers are curious to see if veteran point guard Baron Davis gets cut by Cleveland. He has two years and $28.7 million left on his contract, though he can be signed for substantially less than that. The Lakers also want a shooter and are monitoring whether forward Rashard Lewis (two years, $43.8 million remaining) gets waived by Washington

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-post-lockout-20111127,0,2330537.story

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Will a mod please change monitoring to monitored please

beasted86
11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
I've always expected Baron Davis to look to the Lakers if he gets cut.

LA needs a starting PG, and it's his hometown... but it would be a terrible fit.

Kobe + Davis + Artest? You thought Gasol complained about shot attempts before?

Chacarron
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't mind Davis for a vet min contract. Other than that, I hope Jerry, sorry, JIM BUSS doesn't touch the MLE money to sign either player.

Jint.
11-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Lewis would be a good fit on the Lakers..

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't mind Davis for a vet min contract. Other than that, I hope Jerry, sorry, JIM BUSS doesn't touch the MLE money to sign either player.

actually, I think Lewis could be a pretty good addition to the lakers. He can spot up and shoot and knock down the 3 ball pretty well. I don't think Davis would fit with the lakers.

iggypop123
11-26-2011, 10:06 PM
the fact that the amnesty can be saved up complicates things for the lakers and others. dont see people in a rush to use it so blake and world peace are safe. the lakers sure do need some shooting. the only reason they lost to dallas was jumpshots. they missed 22 straight 3pointers in a row at one point!

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
the fact that the amnesty can be saved up complicates things for the lakers and others. dont see people in a rush to use it so blake and world peace are safe. the lakers sure do need some shooting. the only reason they lost to dallas was jumpshots. they missed 22 straight 3pointers in a row at one point!

and that is where Lewis could come in handy. Plus, the fact the man is 6'11" and hard to guard. he does seem to have lost a step though.

Chacarron
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
actually, I think Lewis could be a pretty good addition to the lakers. He can spot up and shoot and knock down the 3 ball pretty well. I don't think David would fit with the lakers.

Lewis would get almost no playing time. We got Odom getting all the backup PF minutes, while Ron and Barnes get all the SF minutes. The only way I'd like Lewis to come to the Lakers is if we can get rid of both Walton and Artest, but that has very little chance of happening.

beasted86
11-26-2011, 10:12 PM
On the other end, Lewis would be a pretty good fit for the other team in LA.

The Clippers could use an extra 3PT shooting SF. Gomes sucks and Aminu is a bust.

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Lewis would get almost no playing time. We got Odom getting all the backup PF minutes, while Ron and Barnes get all the SF minutes. The only way I'd like Lewis to come to the Lakers is if we can get rid of both Walton and Artest, but that has very little chance of happening.

well actually, from what I'm hearing is that Walton might retire because of his back and if that is the case, I had heard Artest would be the prime candidate for the Lakers to use the amnesty clause on. So it could work out like that.

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 10:13 PM
i would be willing to give Lewis the mid level

beasted86
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
well actually, from what I'm hearing is that Walton might retire because of his back and if that is the case, I had heard Artest would be the prime candidate for the Lakers to use the amnesty clause on. So it could work out like that.

Is Matt Barnes really ready to become full time defensive stopper for the Lakers?

As far as I know, defense is Mike Brown's thing and what he was brought in to amp up for the team.

Chacarron
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM

That is exactly the only way it could happen, in which case bringing in Lewis would be a good idea.

LakersA's49ers
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
with vujacic in jersey, the lakers lost a big 3 point shooting weapon. rashard lewis would be nice, but for a MLE or less

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Is Matt Barnes really ready to become full time defensive stopper for the Lakers?

As far as I know, defense is Mike Brown's thing and what he was brought in to amp up for the team.

ya if that was the scenario that playd out with Walton retiring, i'd rather have the Lakers explore using the clause on Steve Blake just bcuz of the uncertainty of Barnes being able to handle the full load

something crazy, use the clause on Kobe then resign him for the vet minimum

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM

they don't wanna pay artest no more. he really isn't worth the money they are giving him. he seems to have lost a major step both offensively and most noticeably defensively which is pretty much why they were paying him that money in the first place.

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:19 PM
ya if that was the scenario that playd out with Walton retiring, i'd rather have the Lakers explore using the clause on Steve Blake just bcuz of the uncertainty of Barnes being able to handle the full load

something crazy, use the clause on Kobe then resign him for the vet minimum

now that would be something worth exploring, but I bet there will be some kind of rule to not allow that to happen, or the person might have to wait so many months to be resigned.

Ty Fast
11-26-2011, 10:30 PM
lewis would be a good fit on a lot of teams and i think lots of teams would want to sign him too.

BKLYNpigeon
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
BD should go to NY.

iggypop123
11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
On the other end, Lewis would be a pretty good fit for the other team in LA.

The Clippers could use an extra 3PT shooting SF. Gomes sucks and Aminu is a bust.

true about gomes. stupid about aminu. hit the rookie wall he could be deng jr. its more likely they go for a stabilizing force and a veteran leadershp with prince.

John Walls Era
11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Why would the Lakers want BD? Lewis might actually be a good fit.

Rocco007
11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
The Lakers would play him at the 3 spot...Longest frontline in the business...
Bynum
Gasol
Lewis
I like Davis...I think he would be a great fit...He's no longer an option 1 type scorer..But what he is now is a more athletic and diverse DFisher...He can hit big shots and fascilate the ball...We can use both guys...Walton will retire...and Shannon Brown will walk...

John Walls Era
11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
The Lakers would play him at the 3 spot...Longest frontline in the business...
Bynum
Gasol
Lewis
I like Davis...I think he would be a great fit...He's no longer an option 1 type scorer..But what he is now is a more athletic and diverse DFisher...He can hit big shots and fascilate the ball...We can use both guys...Walton will retire...and Shannon Brown will walk...

Depends which Baron you're getting. The fat one is less athletic than the avg. PSD poster.

daleja424
11-26-2011, 10:40 PM
10 teams monitoring these guys... not sure this is really news.

Keep in mind that LA is over the lux tax and will only have the mini mle as well.

Cano-Montero...
11-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I dont see ron getting cut...

Plus I doubt puke will retire...11 mil is too much money to leave...

As for rashard and BD...perfect fit for LA..

I dont think fish would get more than 15 mins this year especially with brown as the coach...Rashard would be a good back-up SF and shooter..perfect fit for LA.

Cano-Montero...
11-26-2011, 10:59 PM
10 teams monitoring these guys... not sure this is really news.

Keep in mind that LA is over the lux tax and will only have the mini mle as well.

can you explain about the mini mle? coz i think its still 5 mil but only for 4 years max for those above the cap..

And the other rule was if your below the luxury tax of 70 mil and your at 68 mil you can spend the full mle but if you at 69.5 only 4.5 mil since the max is 74 mil..something like that..

daleja424
11-26-2011, 11:03 PM
can you explain about the mini mle? coz i think its still 5 mil but only for 4 years max for those above the cap..

And the other rule was if your below the luxury tax of 70 mil and your at 68 mil you can spend the full mle but if you at 69.5 only 4.5 mil since the max is 74 mil..something like that..

mini MLE is 3 years/9 mil

Full MLE is more years and 5 million per year.

You must be 1 million belo lux tax to you full MLE (b/c adding the full MLE will take you to the tax+4mil threshold.

If signing the player will take you over the tax+4 number then you only get the mini MLE.

BranWingss
11-26-2011, 11:04 PM
I think Lewis fits in very well. Not so much Baron.

lakers4sho
11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Can Lewis play the 3? More concerned about his defense, his shooting will always be there.

Cano-Montero...
11-26-2011, 11:26 PM
mini MLE is 3 years/9 mil

Full MLE is more years and 5 million per year.

You must be 1 million belo lux tax to you full MLE (b/c adding the full MLE will take you to the tax+4mil threshold.

If signing the player will take you over the tax+4 number then you only get the mini MLE.

Doesn't that rule only apply to the teams below luxury tax threshold? and not for the teams like Lakers and Dallas? I think they can still use full mle with max 4 years..read it from somewhere..

daleja424
11-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Doesn't that rule only apply to the teams below luxury tax threshold? and not for the teams like Lakers and Dallas? I think they can still use full mle with max 4 years..read it from somewhere..

no. If Lakers and Mavs are over the threshold they can only use the mini MLE.

Magic, Celtics, Spurs are others that will likely be working with only the mini MLE this offseason.

LA_Raiders
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Davis would be great in LA and we might need Lewis once we lose Odom and Bynum for Howard

Angelus™
11-26-2011, 11:49 PM

man would that be great. Get rid of dead weight

lavilevi23
11-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Davis would be great in LA and we might need Lewis once we lose Odom and Bynum for Howard

Dude wake the **** up

lakersiznumber1
11-27-2011, 12:10 AM
lewis is the perfect fit with barnes moving to the number 2 spot. both odom and lewis can play both the 3 and 4 so it will be a perfect fit. baron davis is a good fit only if luke retires and we use the amnesty on blake. peace aint going nowhere. Mike brown defensive plan will keep him on the team and no more triangle so no more spot up 3's for artest he will be inside scoring where he belongs

Dade County
11-27-2011, 12:13 AM

You're a Laker Fan, and I'm a HEAT Fan....... This is the nicest thing I can say, after reading your post.

Good night sir:facepalm:

MTar786
11-27-2011, 12:13 AM
i dont understand why everyone is saying davis would be a good fit here in LA. Can someone atleast explain why? he's a shell off his former self, he doesnt defend and he chucks up shots. We already have kobe for that..
we need shooting and we could do with another hard matchup guy like lewis who is more of a 3 than a 4 anyway. brown is probably going to walk so we can slide barnes to the 2 if we dont cut ron (i think we should keep ron and cut blake if we sign davis). and have lewis play the 3.. even if its off the bench. all we need from lewis is his shooting and his matchup problems he causes.
Maybe davis could be a good spark off the bench guy for us at best. But i wouldnt want him to be on the floor with kobe at any time of the game. but i guess he'll have to

JDMVP
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
If we can sign both guys for cheap that would be great just get rid of blake and barnes.
Lewis at SF, Pau and Drew frontline then odom and World Peace along with FIsh would be great. B. Davis and KB backcourt would be decent too

showtym24
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
You're a Laker Fan, and I'm a HEAT Fan....... This is the nicest thing I can say, after reading your post.

Good night sir:facepalm:

Howard is alot more likely to be a laker than a HEAT.

daleja424
11-27-2011, 12:22 AM
don't think you can be "a HEAT"

but anyways... no one said Howard would be a member of the HEAT.

showtym24
11-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Sorry "heatian"? And he has howard in a heat jersey in his sig. Kinda implies he thinks he'll be a heatian.

daleja424
11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
lol... well thats just silly of him (I have sigs turned off).

having said that though... HEAT COULD obviously put together a better deal if they really wanted Howard.

showtym24
11-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Naw i dont think theyd be dumb enough to deal him within the division.

HouRealCoach
11-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Goudelock?

MTar786
11-27-2011, 12:31 AM
we would have to start lewis at the 3 and have ron come off the bench because the only way i see gasol and bynum being useful on the court together is if they have shooters to kick it out to. ie. lewis, fisher, kobe.
davis,barnes,artest,odom,gasol or bynum would be a SICK second unit. artest and barnes for defense, gasol or bynum for inside presence. odom as ur facilitator and davis as your scoring spark.

i know no one will agree with me about having davis coming off the bench. But heres my reasoning. I dont think it would be good to have him and kobe on the court at the same time due to their shooting behavior. Davis could be a great scoring spark for us off the bench (which all laker fans know we've been missing for a long time) Davis will obviously play the load of mins at pg but fisher would be most useful being on the court with kobe and getting his 16-20 mins as starter, spot up shooter and closer. davis can get everything inbetween. he'll just start each game with the second unit

Cano-Montero...
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Davis is ekkk...

PrettyBoyJ
11-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Lakers gonna have a pretty long front court 6'11 guy and 2 7ft guys.. #matchupproblems

C-Style
11-27-2011, 01:40 AM
with vujacic in jersey, the lakers lost a big 3 point shooting weapon. rashard lewis would be nice, but for a MLE or less

Can't get him any other way. I doubt the Lakers will try to make big deals, since they will be forced to cut down with the new CBA deal

championships
11-27-2011, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't mind Lewis for a shooter but I'm not so sure about Davis.

Lakers need to get younger and quicker at the point guard position.

Raph12
11-27-2011, 02:50 AM
If the Magic amnesty Turk and stretch Arenas (or vise-versa), I'm sure Lewis would jump at the chance to play for them again, especially considering he could start at SF...

Anilyzer
11-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Artest won't get amnestied... for one, he only makes $6M or something. For thbe other, he"ll likely have a monster season this year in Mike Bs systm.

Maybe they can save the amnesty, then if they re-sign Bynum nd he gets injured, they can amnesty Bynum... Kinda like cap insurance. If Bynum stays strong and healthy, then no prob. But you don't risk $100M of cap space

Anilyzer
11-27-2011, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't mind Lewis for a shooter but I'm not so sure about Davis.

Lakers need to get younger and quicker at the point guard position.

Lakers have 2 OUTSTANDING rookie point guard prospects. Actually, counting Caracter and Ebanks, Lakers got essentially 4 high talent rookies on their roster.

Rashard, maybe, for cheap, but not really. Baron Davis, no, especially with that beard.

Actualy I think the Lakers are set. The only prob is do u extend Bynum or trade him. Within a month or two the Bynum extension circus will be in full effect. I say trade him

Cano-Montero...
11-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Lakers have 2 OUTSTANDING rookie point guard prospects. Actually, counting Caracter and Ebanks, Lakers got essentially 4 high talent rookies on their roster.

Rashard, maybe, for cheap, but not really. Baron Davis, no, especially with that beard.

Actualy I think the Lakers are set. The only prob is do u extend Bynum or trade him. Within a month or two the Bynum extension circus will be in full effect. I say trade him

why not extend him next season?

Kevj77
11-27-2011, 03:27 AM
There will be some kind of waiver process for amnesty players. Only teams with cap space can bid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/11/26/tentative.deal/index.html

KobeForMVP08
11-27-2011, 03:28 AM
hell no to lewis. baron on the other hand, i wouldnt mind a 1-2 year rental guy. hes still got some game to him and would be a definite upgrade over fish. dont give up on blake either, he was a bit constricted with the tri last year. look for him to be an asset of the bench for us

kblo247
11-27-2011, 03:30 AM

Barnes could play behind Kobe with Shannon likely gone. He spent the summer working on his guard skills anyway after it being requested at his exit meeting. Lewis could easily split time with Artest and go Ofepfense/Defense in situations.

I could see Baron.

I personally hope e amnesty bullet hits Artest. I'd take Barnes and Lewis splitting the SF slot, with Blake and Baron at PG. Let Fish be the SG like in Utah, lord knows he is better than Shannon and nowhere near as brain dead

beliges
11-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Lakers are gonna be looking to get younger and more athletic. Davis has no chance at coming to LA unless hes practically free.

Iron24th
11-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Barnes could play behind Kobe with Shannon likely gone. He spent the summer working on his guard skills anyway after it being requested at his exit meeting. Lewis could easily split time with Artest and go Ofepfense/Defense in situations.

I could see Baron.

I personally hope e amnesty bullet hits Artest. I'd take Barnes and Lewis splitting the SF slot, with Blake and Baron at PG. Let Fish be the SG like in Utah, lord knows he is better than Shannon and nowhere near as brain dead

Agree. The Fish idea is pretty good.

RevisIsland
11-27-2011, 05:33 AM
A motivated Baron could do wonders for the Lakers.

Law25
11-27-2011, 06:14 AM
I think the Lakers are set, Baron and Lewis in purp and yellow does sound good. Still I think were set. If anything we need one more defensive minded big

Starters
Blake
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

Bench
Morris
Fish/ Goudelock
Barnes/ Ebank
Odom
????

Heediot
11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Lewis would be a good fit on the Lakers..

They have two tweeners already in Odom and Barnes. Add in Artest at Sf and Gasol at PF/c. and IMO there's a log jam at the forward spots, unless of course Artest is a casualty of the amnesty. Lewis would sign for the league min, so it's worth a shot anyway and that's still great value for any team even if there is a log jam.

detzfish
11-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I believe Lewis would be a good fit..but definitely wouldnt try to get Davis