PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty Clause?

s3antana5757
11-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Is there or is there not an amnesty clause included in the new CBA?

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I believe the Amnesty clause is still included. I actually just googled it a little while ago to see if it was still included and people are still writing article talking about who will be cut and such.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
It basically has to be included considering the drop in BRI.

Gators123
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Amnesty clause is in deal, just matter of form it takes. Last proposal allowed teams to use it on a current contract at anytime during CBA.

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
which I'm glad it will be included. it will make players play harder and if boozer doesnt straighten up and produce, his butt will be gone next year.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Here, I found what Bucher said...there isn't much about it out there though.

No official word on amnesty clause, but with BRI coming down so drastically, it's almost a foregone conclusion that there will be one.

Also, Woj:

Amnesty clause is in deal, just matter of form it takes. Last proposal allowed teams to use it on a current contract at anytime during CBA.

spurs4#5
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
goodbye richard jefferson!

Bramaca
11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
which I'm glad it will be included. it will make players play harder and if boozer doesnt straighten up and produce, his butt will be gone next year.

It won't necesarily do that. The amnesty only allows a break from how it affects a teams cap situation. If Boozer gets cut he will end up making more money since he would still be guarenteed all of his current contract and getting released would allow him to play somewhere else for another contract while he is still being paid his old one.

D Roses Bulls
11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
It won't necesarily do that. The amnesty only allows a break from how it affects a teams cap situation. If Boozer gets cut he will end up making more money since he would still be guarenteed all of his current contract and getting released would allow him to play somewhere else for another contract while he is still being paid his old one.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. well at least it will come off the teams salary cap.

Birdmannn
11-26-2011, 05:18 PM
So is it possible at the end of the 2012 season to cut bosh and then offer Dwight a pretty good contract?

dhopisthename
11-26-2011, 05:22 PM
no since the heat wouldn't have cap space

xILLN355
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
what happens/can a team cut someone and sign them back for less?
for example miami cuts bosh but resigns him for less, he would still be paid the max and the less contract? same for lakers cutting kobe and signing for less? they're still making the same ammount of money

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-26-2011, 05:31 PM
for example miami cuts bosh but resigns him for less, he would still be paid the max and the less contract? same for lakers cutting kobe and signing for less? they're still making the same ammount of moneyOwners still have to pay the previous deal. But yeah they can do it. While not showing previous contract on the cap. Big markets probably do this. Like the Lakers for instance. They can do that to Kobe then resign him to vet minimum. Just to wipe hes big contract off of the cap!

topdog
11-26-2011, 05:31 PM
for example miami cuts bosh but resigns him for less, he would still be paid the max and the less contract? same for lakers cutting kobe and signing for less? they're still making the same ammount of money

What had been said earlier is that you could not re-sign them for the duration of the amnestied contract.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-26-2011, 05:33 PM
That was the old rumor is this in the new CBA?

xILLN355
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
What had been said earlier is that you could not re-sign them for the duration of the amnestied contract.

ok thanks for clarifying that :)

topdog
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
That was the old rumor is this in the new CBA?

A while back it was said that it would be a part of any deal. The only debate was the period of time teams would have to use it.

It makes sense that it would stay because players still get paid and owners get to ditch a crippling contract ...unless of course they don't have one.

topdog
11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
ok thanks for clarifying that :)

No problem. This is where my hours of reading ESPN articles pays off :D

fadedmario
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
No team this helps more than the Pistons.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Meh. Washington (Lewis), Magic (Arenas/Turk), Portland (Roy), Cleveland (Davis) etc. all can get rid of bigger and in most cases longer contracts...

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Meh. Washington (Lewis), Magic (Arenas/Turk), Portland (Roy), Cleveland (Davis) etc. all can get rid of bigger and in most cases longer contracts...

ya they benefit the most imo, Lewis is the 2nd highest paid player in the league n releasing him will put this team in prime position to try & build a team around their potential star John Wall

John Walls Era
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Bye Bye Rashard. Maybe he can go sign a minimum with some contender.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Does this mean that every team can cut any player?

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Does this mean that every team can cut any player?

yes every team can release any 1 individual player, the player will receive the remaining money promised in his contract but it wont reflect against the teams salary cap

NJ Raven
11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Don't let the floor hit ya on the way out, Mr. Outlaw.

topdog
11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Bye Bye Rashard. Maybe he can go sign a minimum with some contender.

I think he'd work out well with the HEAT (sans Bosh). Especially if they could get Nene on board. That would be pretty formidable and works much better with Lebron and Wade's combined playing styles.

topdog
11-26-2011, 07:19 PM
It's too bad it doesn't sound like teams can trade for a player and cut them because my Wolves don't really have any issue contracts (Darko is useful enough for only $5M), whereas teams like Orlando and Detroit do. If you could trade and cut, it would allow teams like Minny and Sacto to pick up some additional assets instead of getting nothing out of this.

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 07:22 PM
It's too bad it doesn't sound like teams can trade for a player and cut them because my Wolves don't really have any issue contracts (Darko is useful enough for only $5M), whereas teams like Orlando and Detroit do. If you could trade and cut, it would allow teams like Minny and Sacto to pick up some additional assets instead of getting nothing out of this.

B. Rad Miller my good man

fadedmario
11-26-2011, 07:23 PM

True.

topdog
11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
B. Rad Miller my good man

Only 2 years left at < $5M and an Adelman lifer. Not exactly screwing up the cap for the Wolves.

Lake_Show2416
11-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Only 2 years left at < $5M and an Adelman lifer. Not exactly screwing up the cap for the Wolves.

every team will use this clause tho im just throwin a name out there, i feel it probably will be Miller or mayb Luke

i do agree, the wolves contracts r good tho

njnets
11-26-2011, 07:51 PM
i know many people dont care but now the nets can release outlaw!!! :dance:

many of us are excited to get him off the roster and especially the salary cap.

beasted86
11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Don't let the floor hit ya on the way out, Mr. Outlaw.

Yup.

That will give the Nets a lot more cap space come 2012. Outlaw was likely the worst starter in the league last season.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 08:22 PM
The Lakers are already reportedly monitoring Lewis' status. Perhaps eager to make an offer if/when he gets cut. This guys getting paid a fortune who get cut should definitely hop on the Miami, LA, Chicago, Dallas, OKC etc bandwagons.

Just a reminder, it's probably just a one time thing, that can only be used once over the span of the CBA. Also, teams still have to pay the guy, it just doesn't count against the cap. I'm pretty sure most get those things, but just in case...

phlp_bj
11-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Question. The amnesty clause can only be used once correct? What happens if a team doesn't use it this year? Can it be used next year then? Like for example, I can't think of a player that the Bulls could cut. We don't have any bad contracts. One could say Boozer, but I doubt they cut him since they just signed him

iggypop123
11-26-2011, 08:39 PM
the fact that you can save it up for the entire cba and not have to use it on year one will kind of make this offseason not as crazy. only luxury tax teams will try to get under the huge cap.

BHF
11-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Yup.

That will give the Nets a lot more cap space come 2012. Outlaw was likely the worst starter in the league last season.

nope that would be jose calderon and its not even close

daleja424
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
dont forget that it was proposed that the amnesty cuts would be subjected to waiver wire... not that it would matter for most of these guys.

lavell12
11-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. well at least it will come off the teams salary cap.

You didn't actually believe the union would agree to a deal where teams could let guys go and not pay them?

lavell12
11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
So how much of the player's contract does the team that signs him have to pick up?

Dade County
11-27-2011, 01:07 AM
dont forget that it was proposed that the amnesty cuts would be subjected to waiver wire... not that it would matter for most of these guys.

Yep ....

Quick question:

Players that are Amnestied can't return back to the team that Amnesty them until that contract is up...

But what if that player just finish a season, and has the option to opt out of his contract; the team Amnestied him, can that player then sign back with the same team (because his contract is up "because he opt out)

Example:

Bosh has a 6yr deal, but can opt out after 4yrs ... Could the HEAT Amnesty him after the 4th year "when the season ends that year", and sign him right back (not having to wait the two years left on the 6yr contract, because Bosh would have opted out in the fourth year)

Sorry if I worded it wrong ;)

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Good bye the flop of flops in terms of Spurs players. Drop RJeff, welcome Kawhi!

Heediot
11-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Washington gets the most help. Lewis is their only big long-term contract. Nearly 20 million per I might add. They will have tons of cap in the future.

justinnum1
11-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Yep ....

Quick question:

Players that are Amnestied can't return back to the team that Amnesty them until that contract is up...

But what if that player just finish a season, and has the option to opt out of his contract; the team Amnestied him, can that player then sign back with the same team (because his contract is up "because he opt out)

Example:

Bosh has a 6yr deal, but can opt out after 4yrs ... Could the HEAT Amnesty him after the 4th year "when the season ends that year", and sign him right back (not having to wait the two years left on the 6yr contract, because Bosh would have opted out in the fourth year)

Why not just have him opt out, then resign him to a more reasonable deal.(like that jefferson deal last season)

gilly
11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
A year ago I would have said bye Elton Brand but I kinda like the guy now. Nocioni will probably be the guy I guess.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Also you cant trade for a player then amnesty him either. People were suggesting this idea while trying to land a pick or other young assets while taking on a bad contract. But a player has to be under contract on your own team. Not a traded player.

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I love that teams are complaining about losing money but still WANT to pay players not to play and take on additional costs to fill roster spots emptied by the player who is bought out. BRILLIANT!!!!! The owners CLEARLY do NOT get it.

Dade County
11-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Why not just have him opt out, then resign him to a more reasonable deal.(like that jefferson deal last season)

No... I think you are assuming I would like the HEAT to do this.

I am just trying to make sure their are no loop holes, when it comes to this Amnesty crap.

But i see what you are saying.

llemon
11-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Yep ....

Quick question:

Example:

If Bosh opts out, he's no longer on Heat roster, and therefore can't be amnestied.

llemon
11-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Supposedly, there is gonna be a waiver process for the amnestied players, in which teams with room under the cap will bid to pick up part of the amnestied players' contract.

Should stop Lakers and Heat from grabbing just any amnestied player they want.