PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Early Winners/Losers of the Lockout

Rosh
11-26-2011, 05:27 AM
WINNER: David Stern

A missed season would have mucked up his legacy profoundly, and called into question his ability to control his owners. A deal, on the other hand, shows he still has the touch.

WINNER: Billy Hunter

He was under serious fire from agents. They have been concerned about his salary, how he runs the union, and too many concessions to the owners. And yet, for the third time in as many attempts, he has delivered what matters most: a deal. The first two times pundits said they were bad deals for players, but over the following years the pundits were proved wrong -- the players have done very well under Hunter who many say has negotiated his last CBA. And if the players are sharing in the league’s overseas and national TV revenues, this deal could look great by the time it’s done too.

WINNER: Adam Silver

David Stern pointedly put his deputy in the spotlight through one of the choppier moments in NBA history, with the tall order to “reset” the way the league works in a way that favors owners. The ride was plenty bumpy, but mission more-or-less accomplished.

WINNER: Derek Fisher’s next career

For much of the lockout, Fisher became the public face of the union, and the private one … he said that he thought he had talked to every single NBA player during the lockout, except for a few whose e-mail addresseses had changed. He proved he can speak extemporaneously, in stressful environments, without putting his foot in his mouth. That bodes well for whatever he wants to do next.

WINNERS: Player development experts

With luxury tax more punitive than ever, there will be a premium on those who can help a team round out a roster with incredibly cheap, but productive, players. The Spurs have had a habit of finding and developing those guys -- now every team will have to.

WINNERS: Stat geeks

Everyone is playing “Moneyball” now. If it can help you control player costs, it can help you win titles.

WINNERS: Incoming owners

In Detroit and Philadelphia they set the purchase price in an environment of league-wide losses and labor uncertainty. Now they emerge with owner-friendly rules, high TV ratings, media-friendly young stars to drive future league-wide ratings, a better national TV deal on the horizon, promising overseas markets, and the knowledge that it’ll be harder in the future for opponents to outspend them.

LOSER: Mark Cuban

The good news is that he gets to have a season of glory, and a chance to defend that title. The bad news is that he is said to have wanted a system that would protect him from big losses even as he went all-out to field the most competitive possible team. A stiff luxury tax, however, does not get him there. Now, to protect his bottom line, he’ll have to develop a new skill: spending discipline.

WINNER: Jerry Buss

Revenue sharing is a bitter pill to swallow, but he still owns one of the most lucrative franchises in sports, he’ll always be able to attract amazing free agents, and now fans will understand if he spends a little less on payroll.

LOSERS: Laker fans

One nice thing about rooting for the Lakers has long been knowing that the team would spend whatever it takes to be competitive. Now that’ll be harder.

LOSERS: The big agents

They tested their influence among players against Billy Hunter and Derek Fisher. And ultimately, this deal was struck between Hunter and Stern. Worth noting: the Players Association regulates agents.

WINNERS: Players who signed long guaranteed deals in the last year

This is a big group, ranging from Paul Pierce to LeBron James. It’ll be tough to beat their old-CBA deals under the new CBA.

WINNERS: The Knicks

This is a deep-pocketed team looking to build a winner. They still need more players, and with a hard cap out of the picture, they continue to have some flexibility to keep spending if they have to.

LOSERS: The middle class

As owners and the league have spent a year obsessing about player costs, one clear factor has emerged: The poor-value contracts are the big deals for middling players. With or without stiff taxes, you can expect more teams to catch on to the idea of paying for stars, and filling in the rest of the roster cheaply.

WINNER: The D-League

As more teams seek bargain players, more teams will invest effort in getting the most out the NBA's little brother.

LOSERS: Superstars

They have long made far less than they were worth, and that’s not going to change now.

WINNERS: Strategic dealmakers

Likely on December 9 a wild and woolly free agent mini-season will commence, under new operating rules. Front offices that know the players they want, and what they’re worth in this brave new world, could work wonders. Look for the usual candidates -- San Antonio, Houston, Oklahoma City -- to be working the angles.

WINNER: Deron Williams

He gets to come home from Turkey without a major injury, and having had likely the most lucrative offseason of any player. Mitigating factor: Now he’s seeking a big new deal in a more restrictive system.

WINNER: The New Orleans Hornets

These CBA talks long included talks of contracting the Hornets out of existence. Now the talks are over, it has got to feel good that never amounted to much. The next trick: Prove that under a new more owner-friendly deal the team can be viable in the Big Easy.

WINNERS: Fans of the Spurs, Heat, Magic and Mavericks

It was a terrible thing to have your “win now” team sit now.

WINNER: Kobe Bryant

He’s now the NBA’s highest paid player and a guy who made the right moves in the lockout, toying with various overseas backup plans, while looking good back home by offering to lend money to NBA colleagues in need.

WINNERS: Timberwolves

Owner Glen Taylor gets to reduce the financial pain. David Kahn keeps his job. Rick Adelman breathes life into the proceedings, and the long list of talented young players grows further with Derrick Williams and Ricky Rubio.

WINNERS: The Denver Nuggets

Remember when the Heat had all that cap room to sign free agents? The Nuggets are basically like that, only now all kinds of teams will be on a course to shed payroll. There’s not a system in the world where you can’t parlay tiny roster commitments into potential.

WINNER: Player movement

You know you love the excitement of a trade. And there’s going to be more of that. The old CBA went to some trouble to keep teams united. The new one, not so much. The league noticed that LeBron James’ desertion of Cleveland spurred more interest in the NBA, not, as feared, less. It’s no accident the new system will inspire a lot of player movement.

Revenue sharing will be a factor here, too. While a lot of the CBA fight was about the rich teams dding free agents, the deal's biggest impact may be at the other end of the spending spectrum. The stingiest teams ought to be ready to join the bidding to add salaries here and there. That's a win for small markets, and for free agents.

LOSERS: The Portland Trail Blazers

The Blazers carry high salaries with a mediocre team, and we know for certain the GM has not spent the summer executing a new master plan. We know this because there is no GM! But common sense would suggest this team has to win a lot or change a lot, and one of their favorite tools of the past -- outspending rivals -- has grown trickier.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/32302/the-winners-and-losers-of-a-new-cba

Hopper15
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Mark Jackson is a huge loser. Zero coaching experience and he's handed a shortened season. He'll be in way over his head.

THE MTL
11-26-2011, 05:46 AM
My Knicks are winners here baby! Salaries going down! Salary cap guaranteed not to change! Gonna have massive space in 2012 summer! Mid-level guys salaries will decrease significantly to fill out our team!

CHRIS PAUL to the Knicks!

Anilyzer
11-26-2011, 06:57 AM
This deal is bad for small market teams. I heard that they'll have to spend a minimum of 85%-90% of the cap each year--no low budget rosters. Therefore, they will likely lose even more money and be forced to sign bad deals. It will be harder to clear space for top FAs. Hopefully there will be a reverse luxury tax--clippers, etc have to pay $3 for every $1 they're UNDER the minimum team salary.

Honestly, I think the small market "hardline" owners screwed themselves, and should've. Taken earlier deals, or just kept it the same. Now they have to put up or shut up and spend equally, and not sign bad deals or *wow*

Bramaca
11-26-2011, 07:03 AM
This deal is bad for small market teams. I heard that they'll have to spend a minimum of 85%-90% of the cap each year--no low budget rosters. Therefore, they will likely lose even more money and be forced to sign bad deals. It will be harder to clear space for top FAs. Hopefully there will be a reverse luxury tax--clippers, etc have to pay $3 for every $1 they're UNDER the minimum team salary.

Honestly, I think the small market "hardline" owners screwed themselves, and should've. Taken earlier deals, or just kept it the same. Now they have to put up or shut up and spend equally, and not sign bad deals or *wow*

Not a big fan of a minimum unless you do away with guarenteed contracts. Otherwise you are forcing teams to sign players to contracts (likely long term) for more then they are worth. This is already a loophole that agents will exploit the hell out of to get get players more then they deserve.

RevisIsland
11-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Winner: the owners

Loser: the players.

Badluck33
11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Winners: the Fans.

sturge
11-26-2011, 08:43 AM
My Knicks are winners here baby! Salaries going down! Salary cap guaranteed not to change! Gonna have massive space in 2012 summer! Mid-level guys salaries will decrease significantly to fill out our team!

Agreed, we have come out of this massive winners

JWO35
11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Loser: New Head Coaches
They basically have about 2-3 weeks to get everything together...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-26-2011, 09:37 AM

huge cap space obviously means big time free agents:rolleyes:

Lucky.
11-26-2011, 10:37 AM

x2

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
LOSERS: The Spurs still have contract issues with trash players like Richards Jefferson and malcontents like Tony Parker.

Anilyzer
11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Not a big fan of a minimum unless you do away with guarenteed contracts. Otherwise you are forcing teams to sign players to contracts (likely long term) for more then they are worth. This is already a loophole that agents will exploit the hell out of to get get players more then they deserve.

It's a done deal, there IS a minimum, it is 85% first two years, then 90% after that.

Small mkt teams should've kept the old system. This is worse for them. It will take about 5 minutes for them to stack their rosters with bad contracts, and the superstars, who aeunderpaid anyway, will continue to big markets, evn for less money.

They r depending on revenue sharing now completely--all their cap numbers will be higher now. Big teams have the out, because they can overspend if they need to. But any team near the max (and themiknimum is near the max) will have to go over the cap to sign new star players. So if you can't pay LT u r done.

Of course all those teams can and gladly will pay LT if they luck into a Lebron.

Btw, I nevr realized how many fans think the only reason the Lakers win is because they pay $20M more in salary than some (not all) teams. I never realized that was everybody's excuse.

Anyways, I ish I could say "no molre excuses" but I thbink the small mkt teams just ****ed themselves

Evolution23
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
huge cap space obviously means big time free agents:rolleyes:

u mad?

NBA_Starter
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
x2

:cheers:

chicago lulz
11-26-2011, 03:31 PM

This is all that matters.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the Magic are both winners and losers. We're winners in the short term, but like other small market/middle market teams, we're probably losers in the long term.

Longhornfan1234
11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Agreed, we have come out of this massive winners

What is the knicks cap situation? Melo and Amare have to take up a ton of cap space.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Winner: the owners

Loser: the players.

I disagree. If anything, the players seem to have won. What did the owners gain from this in the long run?

SteBO
11-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I disagree. If anything, the players seem to have won. What did the owners gain from this in the long run?
I agree. I'm a little shocked the players got what they wanted at the end of the day. Makes the lockout seem so foolish, it's laughable....

Gagan136
11-26-2011, 03:47 PM
NY is gunna have alot of money.

ManRam
11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree. I'm a little shocked the players got what they wanted at the end of the day. Makes the lockout seem so foolish, it's laughable....

Seems like months and months were wasted for basically nothing. Maybe the sides both just got sick of it all and decided that what they had was fine...but it makes little sense to me.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
u mad?

actually I'm not:p

ink
11-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Seems like months and months were wasted for basically nothing. Maybe the sides both just got sick of it all and decided that what they had was fine...but it makes little sense to me.

Or they just looked at the impending waste from a protracted court case and cut their losses.

They strengthened the lux tax but that may prove to backfire in the end anyway. All the players gave up was money and they already had more than they could realistically count anyway.

Hawkeye15
11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
whomever thinks small market teams should have kept the old system is nuts. You are completely wrong. You talk of them having to pay 85-90% of the cap number (most of those team gladly paid that and more when they were profitable). You do realize that now that they won't be losing money at a 72% rate franchise wise, they will have no issue with this, right?

The small market teams will benefit from this deal, and the large market teams won't be hurt too much, if their owner is indeed interested in winning, and willing to still spend, which Buss, Nolan, and others will do.