PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Green: "I can really ****ing play this game, man"

Baller1
11-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Jeff Green told the Boston Herald that he thinks Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook sort of overshadowed him and therefore didnít allow the world to see his full cupboard of talent. And even added an (expletive) for emphasis.

ďYeah, man, you know a lot of people donít know what I can really do,Ē he said. ďIn Oklahoma, I was kind of overshadowed by Kevin (Durant) and the way Russell (Westbrook) picked up, but, excuse my language, I can really (expletive) play. I can really play this game, man.Ē

So letís evaluate these comments. Can Jeff Green really (expletive) play? If weíre talking about professional basketball, then I think he might need to take a step back.

Look, Jeff Greenís a really good basketball player. Versatile, skilled, athletic, smart ó heís got a ton of tools. Heís just perpetually caught in between positions. So much that it might put his success and career in the NBA in jeopardy. Itís one thing to be a really good player, but if you donít have a place on the floor and therefore a role, what value do you have to a team? You have to be able to fill a need and spot. You have to produce. And while that has everything to do with your ability to really (expletive) play, it also kind of has nothing to do with, if you know what I mean.

Green was clearly overshadowed in OKC because of Durant and Westbrook and I always thought that was one of his strongest qualities. He had no issue in playing his role and quietly doing his job. He never stepped out of character to try and gather a little attention and spotlight for himself. The way he handled himself and his business in Oklahoma City was admirable. And Jeff Green will forever be one of my favorite players ever because of it.

But he just didnít have the capabilities to do his job to the level the Thunder needed. He couldnít rebound as a 4. Couldnít defend that position. Couldnít stretch the floor with a consistent outside jumper. Never really took advantage of other power forwards with his athleticism. Despite possessing some solid post skill, he never used much of it. Green was always just kind of there. A night of 15 points, five rebounds and three assists was the usual for Uncle Jeff. Good, but not good in the right ways.

Heís clearly frustrated with his lot right now because he didnít find himself in a role he could flourish in Boston. While he was out of position in OKC, he was very much in the right one (as much as he can be) with the Celtics, but was forced to try and milk everything he could out of 20 minutes a night behind Paul Pierce. Thatís difficult for anyone.

Itís a contract year for Green as heís a restricted free agent and heís understandably upset with how last season went. He knows he can play. Heís a really good basketball player. But he has yet to find that spot, that place he can succeed. And really, itís hard to say if he ever will.

http://www.dailythunder.com/2011/11/jeff-thinks-russell-westbrook-and-kevin-durant-overshadowed-him/#more-17258

ink
11-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Green typifies the type of player that gets overpaid in a weak free agency year. The kind where GMs fantasize that they've found a diamond in the rough and find out that they just picked up a tweener who can't match up with the best at any ONE position. Good article.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
he can jack up threes pretty well

Corey
11-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Classic tweeter player. Too slow to defend the 3, too small to defend good 4's.

I like Green, but I'd package him in a deal in a second if I were the Celtics.

Hustlenomics
11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
good to hear

gwrighter
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
translation: "Pay me a lot of $$, I'm worth it. No seriously I'm a (expletive) great player, pay me a lot of $$ because I can really play this game man."

He's trying to create more value for himself.

ink
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
translation: "Pay me a lot of $$, I'm worth it. No seriously I'm a (expletive) great player, pay me a lot of $$ because I can really play this game man."

BC don't listen. This is exactly the player Colangelo likes to pick up.

gwrighter
11-24-2011, 03:40 PM

maybe we can find some comfort in the fact that we've got a similar player in Kleiza who plays the exact same role as Green would at a potentially lower cost.

ink
11-24-2011, 03:42 PM
maybe we can find some comfort in the fact that we've got a similar player in Kleiza who plays the exact same role as Green would at a potentially lower cost.

BCs been known to stockpile similar players though. I was half joking but I could easily see him getting very interested in this player. Hopefully the new coach will break him of that habit ...

Sadds The Gr8
11-24-2011, 03:48 PM

this is exactly what it sounds like.

John Walls Era
11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
You know you're getting 15-5 every game. He would be in his element if he came off the bench.

Geek
11-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Lol

Rego247
11-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Yup. BC always had a hard on for these "versatile" players.

mrblisterdundee
11-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I could see Green working well as a starting small forward, but I think he'll always be a dual-purpose player at the small and power forward positions. I'll grant him a similar ceiling as Carl Landry.

heyman321
11-24-2011, 04:23 PM
His ceiling is Lebron on a bad day.

JEDean89
11-24-2011, 04:28 PM
i think jeff can step it up to be a 20 ppg guy. he has a really complete offensive game but he wasn't going to get touches over durant and westbrook in okc and now the big 3 and rondo in boston. since being a tweener is his biggest problem he should focus on becoming a 3. he would need to become faster and likely lighter, but he would be a match up nightmare for smaller 3's. boston seems like a good fit for him. KG and pierce will not be playing in a few years giving Jeff all the room he needs to show us just how ****ing good he is.

Geargo Wallace
11-24-2011, 04:29 PM
His ceiling is Lebron on a bad day.

like a REALLY bad day

Byronicle
11-24-2011, 04:34 PM
to me its a little both ways. yes he's trying to sell himself during a Free agency

but honestly he is stating the truth, which is he has been overshadowed by Durant and Westbrook

i hate labelling guys, especially guys as a tweener because who is to say keep this guy at 1 position consistently and he will acquire the skill sets needed for that one position

i want BC to grab this guy and put him as our SF. he can defend well, and knock down the 3 ball. he has put up good numbers when durant was injured while playing the 3

smith&wesson
11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
he can be reshard lewis 2.0

LA_Raiders
11-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I have not seen it so far...

Bishnoff
11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
I've never liked his game and thought it was a terrible move by Boston to trade for him.

mdm692
11-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Ill take earl clark over him

Corey
11-25-2011, 01:21 AM
I could see Green working well as a starting small forward, but I think he'll always be a dual-purpose player at the small and power forward positions. I'll grant him a similar ceiling as Carl Landry.

I think that's undershooting his talent. Landry is a nice player, but I think Green has more potential.

Bulls_fan90
11-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Cool story Jeff.

Celticsfan2007
11-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Jeff Green needs the play the 3. He will never be an effective 4, his frame is just simply too small.

He can be a 20-23ppg guy on a BAD team, which is where I think the Celtics are heading in the near future.

On a good team, I think hes a #2-3 option at his best, with averages like 18-7-3. He's got some room to improve, I'll be really interested to see what the Celtics do with him if he ends up re-signing with us.

mttwlsn16
11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
lolz!

AndyfromNeptune
11-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm curious you guys.

Who'd you rather have ? Jeff Green or Wilson Chandler ??

I'd take Wilson. But I'm biased beacuse I saw a lot more of him as a Knicks fan.

PrettyBoyJ
11-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Id like to see him prove everyone wrong Idk how his work ethic is but if he has the drive to be good I'd like to see him come out the shadows and play instead of just saying it