PDA

View Full Version : NBA should consider contraction

Dade County
11-23-2011, 05:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7273866/nba-solve-financial-problems-contracting-teams

" The NBA isn't losing money; the Bucks, Kings, Timberwolves and Hawks are. If the league is serious about solving its labor problem, it should solve its financial problem first and shave off its deadwood. According to Forbes, the five most valuable teams -- the Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Rockets -- operated at a combined profit of $188.8 million in 2010, while the bottom eight -- the Hawks, Kings, Bobcats, Hornets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Timberwolves and Bucks -- operated at a combined loss of $71.2 million.

Stern and his owners are unwilling to confront the price of their own greed. They took the money -- $32.5 million from each team in the first round of expansion in 1989, $300 million from Charlotte in 2004 (and the team lost $20 million in 2010) -- and now the league is drowning in bad franchises."

How do you guys feel about contraction.... I'm all in :clap:

topdog
11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
We already have a thread about this... also started by a HEAT poster. Discuss there.

Tom Stone
11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Never......I grew up watching these teams, they are apart of our history.....no true fan wants contraction.....

Anilyzer
11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7273866/nba-solve-financial-problems-contracting-teams

" The NBA isn't losing money; the Bucks, Kings, Timberwolves and Hawks are. If the league is serious about solving its labor problem, it should solve its financial problem first and shave off its deadwood. According to Forbes, the five most valuable teams -- the Knicks, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Rockets -- operated at a combined profit of $188.8 million in 2010, while the bottom eight -- the Hawks, Kings, Bobcats, Hornets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Timberwolves and Bucks -- operated at a combined loss of $71.2 million.

Stern and his owners are unwilling to confront the price of their own greed. They took the money -- $32.5 million from each team in the first round of expansion in 1989, $300 million from Charlotte in 2004 (and the team lost $20 million in 2010) -- and now the league is drowning in bad franchises."

How do you guys feel about contraction.... I'm all in :clap:

this is what people don't seem to get: there's no MONEY for contraction!!

It would easily cost more than a billion dollars, and possibly 2 billion, to contract 4 or 5 teams from the NBA.

Everyone knows those worthless franchises are now just a drain on the league, and in fact now have cost the league the entire 2011-2012 season... but there is now no way to get rid of them, no way to buy them out, except for huge $$. And even then, the league would likely face various lawsuits from stadiums, cities, concessionaires, etc.

I don't see why Stern can't just talk to them and say "HEY. YOU GUYS ARE LOSING $25M A YEAR. TRIM YOUR PAYROLL. DRAFT SOME YOUNG PLAYERS AND DO YOUR BEST."

But noooo.... they want to give $100M to Bogut or Kevin Love or some of these different players, in a desperate bid to be competitive, when THEY ALREADY KNOW IN ADVANCE that ticket sales and revenues won't compensate for it.

These teams continually **** themselves then pop up and ask for more--YES they are losing money but that is their own fault, starting with the bad investment. And unfortunately, these franchises are here to stay.

For those talking "contraction", consider that it would be MUCH, MUCH easier and BILLIONS of dollars cheaper to simply start a new league without the giant franchise debt, overhead and 30 teams, 1/3 of which are in bad markets and are losers.

At some point, if you are talking about contracting almost 1/3 of the league, why not just scrap the NBA and start a new league? Then you don't have to "buy out" all the crap owners at $400M a shot?

PhillyFaninLA
11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
deleted misread what I quoted

Arch Stanton
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
This is the second contraction thread started by a HEAT fan over the past couple of days. Let me ask you this Dade County, and Wade>You would you be okay with the NBA contracting the HEAT after they had the dismal 15 lose season?

KnicksorBust
11-23-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm a true NBA fan in favor of contraction. Since 1988 seven teams have been added to the NBA. The Heat, Hornets, Magic, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Raptors and Bobcats. Stern over expanded the NBA and it was a mistake.

I remember the NBA before expansion and every team had better talent, it was a more competeitive league. Three of those teams are in the bottom eight in revenue and a huge reason for this lockout.

How many teams would you want to contract? Do you realize how expensive contracting those teams would be? Every team will have an ebb and flow of success. Grizzlies and T-Wolves are two examples of teams that I could easily see turning a profit... if of course we had a season.

Cal827
11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
This is the second contraction thread started by a HEAT fan over the past couple of days. Let me ask you this Dade County, and Wade>You would you be okay with the NBA contracting the HEAT after they had the dismal 15 lose season?

Wasn't there one by RekeHavoc too (...oh wait February21st2011) :D

GodsSon
11-23-2011, 08:21 PM
We already have a thread about this... also started by a HEAT poster. Discuss there.

Why does everyone always capitalize the HEAT spelling. I realize that's how the team spells it, but it's just so ****ing gay everytime I see a Miami fan capitalize it on PSD. Does it make you feel better about your team or something? lol

GodsSon
11-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Nothing GAY about this Hebrew Israelite....

And you can think the best GM in the league for selecting Wade!

Who's your GM ....... ?

You have to be a Cav's fan :laugh2: Umad

Someone give this man a medal. This Azorian Portuguese has no idea why you even pointed that out though.

sixer04fan
11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Ah yes, time for the weekly new contraction thread...

Dade County
11-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Why does everyone always capitalize the HEAT spelling. I realize that's how the team spells it, but it's just so ****ing gay everytime I see a Miami fan capitalize it on PSD. Does it make you feel better about your team or something? lol

It just feels natural to type it that way... Sorry.

ccugrad1
11-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I think the NBA is the one league where contraction would very much be a good thing. Let's be honest, does anyone see anything close to a championship in places like Sacramento, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland, and Washington anytime soon? I sure don't. I'd be willing to bet that you could contract at least 20% of the league and no one would miss them at all.

Dade County
11-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Ok....... I just replied to your post..... But they deleted it (whatever) I tried.

Cal827
11-23-2011, 10:56 PM
LOL, some mod raged on the thread :p

Arch Stanton
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok....... I just replied to your post..... But they deleted it (whatever) I tried.

Well send me a message then if it's reasonable and not complete hate!

mzgrizz
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
The way I feel about contraction, no frickin way.
WHo wants to watch the same old superteams year after year? You want to kill the NBA for good, contract the hell out of it. Then it would be BORING because they would all be the same. At least some real buzz gets generated when an upstart team starts making waves in the playoffs like the Grizz and Thunder did this past spring.

BuddhaMONK
11-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I think the NBA is the one league where contraction would very much be a good thing. Let's be honest, does anyone see anything close to a championship in places like Sacramento, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland, and Washington anytime soon? I sure don't. I'd be willing to bet that you could contract at least 20% of the league and no one would miss them at all.

Toronto makes money...there not going anywhere there's 20 other teams that make less than Toronto....end of story.....Yes Raptors suck balls , but that's because of their ownership (corporate ownership and sports don't mix)

Punk
11-24-2011, 12:58 AM
The funny part is the Heat are a small market team...extremely small. Now, if they had lost Wade this summer, LeBron, Bosh would never have signed and they would be operating at a loss. Let's contract the HEAT, I'm all in.

Now, In all seriousness. There is other ways to fix that issue like moving teams to better markets. The Kings would thrive in Anaheim due to the TV deal that would cost 150 million.

The Bucks won't even be probably at the Bradley Center in a few years. If they get a better arena and a better owner, they can be a profitable franchise with Jennings as their selling point.

The Grizzlies will not be losing money anymore after that run in the playoffs. I can tell you that much.

The Hawks nearly had a billionaire owner. Stern needs to step in and make sure they do not lose owners that can spend and invest into the franchise and market.

So, these are realistic ways to avoid the unnecessary contraction that NOBODY wants. Owners, players, Stern, etc.

None of those teams on that list is getting contracted either. The Pacers lost money because they sucked for years now up until this past playoff run which will most likely net them a player like David West and they should be a competitive team from now on.

Fact is teams simply will lose money when they are rebuilding much like the Kings and Timberwolves. Then, you have teams like the Spurs who are winners and the most historic franchise in terms of titles in the league BUT they are losing 300 million? Why? Because their owner is worth 82 million and they aren't championship contenders anymore and will be at the bottom of the league soon.

Anilyzer
11-24-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't know why nobody seems to understand this point. Contraction costs huge money, probably $400M+ for each team that gets contracted.

So, aside from the fact that it's basically impossible, we should also notice that it would be WAY, WAY cheaper to just start a brand new league instead of "contracting" this one--you'd already be $1B to $2B ahead of the game right off the bat.

And how can they possibly be talking about contraction... they're ready to flush this entire season just based on a $40M annual difference in total league BRI split. How are these clowns gonna come up with $1B cold hard cash just to "contract" a few crappy teams from the league?

I'm telling you, this whole NBA thing starts to resemble more and more a pyramid scheme--we're just seeing a few of the lower rung investors start to get upset right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Lakers, I love NBA basketball... but if this just gets about 2x worse than it is right now, it would be high time for a new basketball league to be invented, and we'd all be rooting that the NBA wouldn't be able to drag THAT (new) league into court somehow. (oh yeah, that's right, David Stern copyrighted basketball, a judge in Manhattan made a ruling on that, or darn)

PleaseBeNice
11-24-2011, 02:26 AM

Except the thousands of fans for each team. Perhaps Sacramento would miss their team considering how thousands of their fans fought to keep them in Sacramento. Considering as how they were 95% gone to Anaheim but the thousands of FANS who CARE and would MISS their team donated thousands of dollars and relentlessly fought for the team they LOVE.

I'd be willing to take you up on that bet because you sure don't sound to bright.

PS Go Kings!

abe_froman
11-24-2011, 02:34 AM
are you joking with the bolded?

Sactown
11-24-2011, 03:25 AM

not that long ago these teams were championship caliber teams...

itsripcity32
11-24-2011, 03:38 AM

If the heat were to be contracted, he'd just become a "fan" of one of the other contending teams.

ink
11-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Contraction is pretty unlikely and this thread is virtually worthless. Closed.

btw Anilyzer makes some pretty good points about why contraction will probably not happen.