PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Brandon Roy and when?

JordansBulls
11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
This guy was a stud and then all of a sudden he was injured and now many think he can't play much anymore. What game did he get injured or was this something that was going to happen no matter what?

Celticsfan2007
11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
He has had knee issues since college.

He has had multiple injuries to both knees along with multiple surgeries to correct them. Unfortunately, you can only have so many knee operations before there is too much scar tissue and not enough cartilage.

He is never expected to be the same player because these knee issue will follow him for the rest of his life, even outside of basketball. He has lost a lot of explosiveness that will only get worse as he gets older. It really is a sad story.

Gibby23
11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
It happened a week before the 2010 playoffs. he had an operation done and came back in 7 days to play in the Playoffs. i think he got hurt in one of the last regular season games against the lakers where he stepped on Ron Artests foot.

Sly Guy
11-23-2011, 02:24 PM
he was going to run out of gas and everyone knew it. His knees were deteriorating as the cartilage was wearing down, and once it became bone on bone, he was pretty much done.

smith&wesson
11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
i had roy as the 2nd or 3rd best sg in the leauge.

honestly i feel bad for portland. oden and roy are the biggest waste of talent...

MTar786
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
kobes knee is pretty much bone on bone.. but he's still doing great. Its gotta be more than that for roy. cant JUST be the knee

Sly Guy
11-23-2011, 04:06 PM
kobes knee is pretty much bone on bone.. but he's still doing great. Its gotta be more than that for roy. cant JUST be the knee

pretty much isn't the same as actual bone on bone. With 'pretty much' you still have cushioning in the joint provided by a small layer of cartilage, when it's bone on bone, the body will produce a great deal of swelling to make up for the lack of cushioning to prevent injury to the bones.

Hellcrooner
11-23-2011, 04:28 PM
he had problems since College.

THAT was the reason many teams passed on him on draft day.

So its not a surprise what happened later.

Teams should pay more atention to those signals.....if you have trouble early on it can only get worse.

Are you reading me ****ing Jimmy " freddo" Buss? :mad:

Bruno
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
He's had shaky knees from the start. IMO thats the only reason why the Wolves traded him for Foye, they knew he wouldn't hold up.

Damn shame, his 2009 season was better than Drexlers finest season. Roy had the talent size and mental grit to go down as a top ten SG, easily.

KnicksorBust
11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
He's had shaky knees from the start. IMO thats the only reason why the Wolves traded him for Foye, they knew he wouldn't hold up.

Damn shame, his 2009 season was better than Drexlers finest season. Roy had the talent size and mental grit to go down as a top ten SG, easily.

Humor me. Give me your off the cuff list of top ten SGs at their single season peak.

AndyfromNeptune
11-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Humor me. Give me your off the cuff list of top ten SGs at their single season peak.

i want to see this too.

NBA_Starter
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
bad knees

KnicksorBust
11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm playing around with my own list. This "one year peak" REALLY shakes things up. I'm going to make this a different thread since it's off-topic on Roy.

Bruno post your reply in here: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19850315#post19850315

Everyone else feel free to check it out as well. :)

Bruno
11-23-2011, 10:17 PM

i want to see this too.

2009 Roy:
PER-24.0, TS%-.573, WS- 13.4, WS/48- 0.223

1992 Drexler:
PER- 23.6, TS%-.560, WS- 12.8, WS/48- 0.223

Slight edge Roy. For the playoffs from those given years, Drexler has him in WSs, Roy takes PER and TS%. Edge Drexler for taking his squad to the finals.

My list looks something like this, although I'm flexible after Ginobli:
1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Wade
5. Drexler
6. Gervin
7. Ginobli
8. AI
9. Miller
10. McGrady

Roy isn't close to the top ten, and won't retire close to the top ten either. I was just saying that had he had a healthy decade long career, matching his output from 2009 for that decade, his numbers would have qualified him for the debate (pending on playoff success).

Bruno
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm playing around with my own list. This "one year peak" REALLY shakes things up. I'm going to make this a different thread since it's off-topic on Roy.

Bruno post your reply in here: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19850315#post19850315

Everyone else feel free to check it out as well. :)

I think three year and five year peaks are also sweet- but it takes a long time to put together those numbers. although b-reference kind of does it for you in terms of win-shares.

UPRock
11-23-2011, 10:41 PM
He was good, very good. I remember his Buzzer Beater against the Rockets, one of the best I've ever seen, he was pretty badass at that moment.

NY007
11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
People over hyped him way too fast. This is very common with this website, a guy has one great year and all of a sudden he's better then someone who's been doing it for years. One example I think of with a current player you do this with is Blake Griffin, I've seen people rate this guy in the top 10.. What are you high? Gotta do it for at least a few more years.

PatsSoxKnicks
11-24-2011, 03:29 AM
I think three year and five year peaks are also sweet- but it takes a long time to put together those numbers. although b-reference kind of does it for you in terms of win-shares.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634461

I think I had pointed you to that thread before. Anyways, I've calculated out those types of numbers for a number of different players.

itsripcity32
11-24-2011, 03:41 AM
People over hyped him way too fast. This is very common with this website, a guy has one great year and all of a sudden he's better then someone who's been doing it for years. One example I think of with a current player you do this with is Blake Griffin, I've seen people rate this guy in the top 10.. What are you high? Gotta do it for at least a few more years.
Is this guy serious? New knick fan. Figured.

NY007
11-24-2011, 11:56 PM

New Knick fan? I've been a Knicks fan since I was born. Don't make comments about someone you know nothing about. ****, my first beer was watching the finals in 94 when we lost to Houston thanks to Starks missing a million shots.

NY007
11-24-2011, 11:58 PM

And yes I'm serious, some you guys over hype guys way too fast. Guys have to do it for a few seasons before you can consider them top 10's in the NBA.

JordansBulls
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
He was good, very good. I remember his Buzzer Beater against the Rockets, one of the best I've ever seen, he was pretty badass at that moment.

Yep and pretty good in the playoffs as well that year.