PDA

View Full Version : Redraft playoffs (NYK forum) 1) Revis Island vs 5) Amsterdam

NYKalltheway
11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD Knicks Forum NBA Redraft. You will notice that all teams are representing the state of New York and that they are fictional.
Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series.
Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

Clubhouses link (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662405)

Revis Island has home court advantage

Revis Island:

PG: Raymond Felton (21)/Jameer Nelson(21)/LeBron James (6)
SG: Ray Allen (32)/Andre Iguodala (16)/Keith Bogans
SF: LeBron James (32)/Andre Iguodala (16)/Kyle Korver
PF: Paul Millsap (30)/Anderson Varejao (8)/Brandon Bass(8)
C: Kendrick Perkins (30)/Shaquille O'Neal (10)/Anderson Varejao (8)

Did not send in a write up

Amsterdam:

C: Emeka Okafor (36)|| Channing Frye (6) || Kwame Brown (6)
PF: Kevin Garnett (37)|| Lamar Odom (11)
SF: Jeff Green (34)|| Lamar Odom (14)
SG: Manu Ginobili (37) || Jrue Holiday (11)
PG: Stephen Curry (38) || Jrue Holiday (10)

Congrats to Revis Island for obtaining the number one seed. You’ve assembled a very good squad, but it’s in for an upset here.

PG Matchup: Stephen Curry | Jrue Holiday vs. Raymond Felton | Jameer Nelson
Stephen Curry has emerged as one of the most efficient guards in the league. He’s shooting a fantastic 44% from 3pt land, and has an absurd 60% TS%. He is great at moving without the ball as well, so I feel his fit with Manu would be fantastic. Felton on the other hand was just not good this year. Take it from a Knicks fan, I was happy when he was dealt. He often doesn’t try on defense, is way too shot happy, and always thinks he’s the best player on the floor. I watched every Nuggets game after the Nuggets-Knicks deal, and Denver fans were calling for his head some games. He is a poor fit on this team, because he’s at his best when the ball is in his hands (22 USG%). On this squad, Felton will have to defer to LeBron (32 USG%), and that takes away from Felton’s effectiveness. Holiday and Nelson will basically be a wash. They are very adept at scoring and getting to the hole, and can both shoot the three ball. Nelson is a bit superior offensively, but Holiday is far superior defensively.
Advantage: Amsterdam

SG Matchup: Manu Ginobili | Leandro Barbosa vs. Ray Allen | Andre Iguodala
This is a case of two proven veterans going head to head. Manu is the superior finisher at the rim, passer and defender here. He proved he can be a number one option on San Antonio this year, and would be the crunch time scorer on this squad. His pairing with Curry is perfect because Curry can play off the ball very well, letting Manu create. Allen is a good fit with LeBron, but who knows how much he’ll see the ball with Felton and LeBron on the court at the same time? Iguodala off the bench is also a large luxury for the opposing team, but he’s also a player who is most effective with the ball in his hands (20 USG%). However, because of Iggy’s elite defense, this matchup will be a wash throughout the series.
Advantage: Wash

SF Matchup: Jeff Green | Lamar Odom vs. LeBron James | Andre Iguodala
Not much to say here, except that Odom will be plugged into the lineup frequently to guard LeBron. He has the length , strength and speed to guard him very effectively, and we really like having him off the bench for his ability to create, defend and rebound very effectively. Green also can score from a variety of places, and if LeBron goes downlow to help defend, Green will have an open look and make them pay.
Advantage: Revis’ Island

PF Matchup: Kevin Garnett | Lamar Odom vs. Paul Milsap | Anderson Varajeo
This is a fairly large advantage for Amsterdam. Garnett proved this year to be the second best post defender after Dwight in the league and still makes his teammates better on both ends. Millsap is not known to be a great defender, so I expect KG to get his usual 14-16 points. KG is also the superior rebounder, so we expect to have more opportunities for our efficient scorers to put the ball in the basket. Millsap’s life will be made hell during a seven games series, with KG sticking him like glue. KG is relentless during the playoffs, and will shutdown Millsap. When the reserves come in, we have no issue, as Odom is also a very good defender and rebounder, and can create as good as any Forward (bar LeBron).

C Matchup: Emeka Okafor | Channing Frye | Kwame Brown vs. Kendrick Perkins | Shaq
Perkins was awful last year. He’s just not the same player he was on the Celtics after his injury. He had NEGATIVE win shares in both the playoffs and regular season, and isn’t the elite post defender he once was. He was so bad that he had a Statistical Plus Minus of -3.35 this year. The team was better without him on the floor. And when he gets into foul trouble? In comes a retired, old, injury prone Shaquille O’Neal. Emeka is coming off a great year, averaging almost a double double while scoring at a very efficient rate and providing great defense. With the task of guarding an inept offensive player in Perkins, Okafor will be free to play help defense if Iguodala or LeBron get into the lane. Emeka and KG will make life very tough on Revis’ penetrators. Also, if we need defense and rebounding we can plug in Kwame, while if in need of scoring and floor spreading, Frye can be subbed in.

Overall, Amsterdam’s defense and proven vets will lead them to victory. Revis’ Island has three players who are used to having the ball in their hands and it just wouldn’t work. Felton would start jacking up shots when he gets the ball. Also, with the lack of post scoring on Revis’ Island with KG and ‘Meka putting them on lock-down, all of the scoring will have to come from the perimeter, which is not a good sign. Amsterdam has a great game finisher in Manu, proven leaders, great defenders, and efficient scorers. Amsterdam takes this in 6 games.

The_Jamal
11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Love how Amsterdam matches up here. Elite Post Defense and plenty of offensive options to go with it is a great counter to containing LeBron.

knicks=love
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Love how Amsterdam matches up here. Elite Post Defense and plenty of offensive options to go with it is a great counter to containing LeBron.

exactly how i felt. the fact that revis didn't send in a write up too was a reason why he didn't get a vote. it's hard to vote against lebron, but in this case i did.

KnicksorBust
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
The silent vote leading Revis Island to an early lead while the vocal minority supports Amsterdam. :laugh:

He can throw Manu-Green-Odom all at LeBron while having elite help defenders like KG and Okafor in the paint. I think it's a great mix to slow him down. I hate to say Revis Island has too much balance but I really feel that way. How can you have Jameer Nelson and Andre Iguodala on the bench but you have a huge question mark like Perkins (who was terrible last year) backed up by Shaq? The talent on that roster is misbalanced and I think it hurts them.

The_Jamal
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The More I think about, the more that LeBron team is vastly overrated. Milsap+Perk is flat out not a good front-court in a redraft this shallow of teams. While Allen is extremley dope and he's one of my favorite player currently, it doesn't change the fact he's another year older and another year slower. Iggy off the bench is an insane luxury, but he won't be able to do what makes him good since he's basically a LeBron-lite version.

roshan3ai
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I 100% think we'd win this matchup. Revis was hyping his team the entire redraft and it never appealed to me because of his mediocre big man duo. Let's get some more votes. I have yet to see one argument for Revis Island

Also, I hate Felton's fit with LeBron

roshan3ai
11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Vote!

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I know everyone disagrees with me on this, but I like the Lebron team. They've surrounded him good shooters and a good offensive PF in Millsap. And regardless of how bad Perkins was last season, it's not like I'm terrified of him going up against Okafor. Unless Emeka suddenly develops a 15-footer, I wouldn't be afraid. As for Jamal's comments about Ray being "a year older," the same goes for KG and Manu (to a lesser extent).

Do I think the other team is more balanced? Yes. But I honestly think Lebron is good enough to win a playoff series if these are the two teams being matched up.

Swashcuff
11-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I know everyone disagrees with me on this, but I like the Lebron team. They've surrounded him good shooters and a good offensive PF in Millsap. And regardless of how bad Perkins was last season, it's not like I'm terrified of him going up against Okafor. Unless Emeka suddenly develops a 15-footer, I wouldn't be afraid. As for Jamal's comments about Ray being "a year older," the same goes for KG and Manu (to a lesser extent).

Do I think the other team is more balanced? Yes. But I honestly think Lebron is good enough to win a playoff series if these are the two teams being matched up.

This

Amsterdam may have the better back court and also the better PF/C combo but the LeBron factor is HUGE.

knicks=love
11-23-2011, 02:58 PM
i think it's been proven that one man can't do it alone (ex: lebron during his entire career except last year). more balanced teams work out better, which is why i see amsterdam winning this series in 7

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
i think it's been proven that one man can't do it alone (ex: lebron during his entire career except last year). more balanced teams work out better, which is why i see amsterdam winning this series in 7

Except he wouldn't be doing it alone. He'd have Ray Allen and Millsap putting up 15-20 a night with Felton, Iggy and Nelson being able to provide some offense and other intangibles. With Amsterdam, I almost question who the No. 1 is offensively. I suppose it's Manu, but I'm not sure if that's good enough to get it done in a draft with so much talent on each team. Also, I almost feel like that team is only a slightly better version of the Spurs team which was knocked out of the first round, whereas this Lebron team fits his play style a little better than the Heat trio.

The_Jamal
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Except he wouldn't be doing it alone. He'd have Ray Allen and Millsap putting up 15-20 a night with Felton, Iggy and Nelson being able to provide some offense and other intangibles. With Amsterdam, I almost question who the No. 1 is offensively. I suppose it's Manu, but I'm not sure if that's good enough to get it done in a draft with so much talent on each team. Also, I almost feel like that team is only a slightly better version of the Spurs team which was knocked out of the first round, whereas this Lebron team fits his play style a little better than the Heat trio.

Milsap's not going to be putting up 15-20 a night on KG. Amsterdam has 4 positional advantages, the better team defense, elite post defense, floor spacing with curry and Manu and a trio of defenders they can throw at leBron. They're simply the more well reounded better overall team

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Milsap's not going to be putting up 15-20 a night on KG. Amsterdam has 4 positional advantages, the better team defense, elite post defense, floor spacing with curry and Manu and a trio of defenders they can throw at leBron. They're simply the more well reounded better overall team

But their four positional advantages are fairly minor compared to how much better Lebron is than Green and they have a superior bench, IMO. Also, I'm not buying that they have "a trio of defenders they can throw at Lebron." Green and Odom are solid defenders, but Manu certainly couldn't stop him and you want to see Lebron's numbers against Green in their matchups?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=greenje02

That's disgusting. If he puts that up with the guys around him on this team, there isn't a chance in hell they lose this series. And I do think Millsap could get 15 points a game against KG, because he's done it before. He put up 32 and 10 against him in 2008 and 17 against him last year in their last matchup of the season. In their careers, Millsap has averaged 10.8 points in 23.3 minutes per start against KG, which averages out to about 16.7 points per 36 minutes.

juggla53
11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
gotta go with revis island here, he has the two best wing defenders in the NBA (iggy on the bench) and several very good teammates/bangers in the front court, i like revis island by about ten

Brooklyn Mets
11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
im going with RI.. LeBron Iggy and Ray on the court at the same time would be sick

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 04:27 PM
im going with RI.. LeBron Iggy and Ray on the court at the same time would be sick

Based on his depth chart, I don't see that happening, but I could see a lineup with Ray defending opposing PGs and Iggy coming in at SG. Between Iggy and Lebron, there would be more than enough ball handling to make up for the lack of a true point on the floor.

Swashcuff
11-23-2011, 04:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhiY3jVoAuM

knicks=love
11-23-2011, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhiY3jVoAuM

and you wonder why he's not in cleveland anymore. only person true to cleveland is MGK. he's so cleveland, it's a god damn shame.

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
and you wonder why he's not in cleveland anymore. only person true to cleveland is MGK. he's so cleveland, it's a god damn shame.

Who?

RevisIsland
11-23-2011, 06:16 PM
We seem to be in command here, so I'm not gonna bother with the belated writeup. Bottom line is I like that Amsterdam team, but I think I'm better by a decent margin.

RevisIsland
11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Based on his depth chart, I don't see that happening, but I could see a lineup with Ray defending opposing PGs and Iggy coming in at SG. Between Iggy and Lebron, there would be more than enough ball handling to make up for the lack of a true point on the floor.

They're playing crunch time together, LeBron moves to the point for crunch time with Ray and Iggy on the wings.

knicks=love
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Who?

machine gun kelly..

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 06:51 PM
machine gun kelly..

Again.... who?

KnicksorBust
11-23-2011, 07:13 PM
But their four positional advantages are fairly minor compared to how much better Lebron is than Green and they have a superior bench, IMO. Also, I'm not buying that they have "a trio of defenders they can throw at Lebron." Green and Odom are solid defenders, but Manu certainly couldn't stop him and you want to see Lebron's numbers against Green in their matchups?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=greenje02

That's disgusting. If he puts that up with the guys around him on this team, there isn't a chance in hell they lose this series. And I do think Millsap could get 15 points a game against KG, because he's done it before. He put up 32 and 10 against him in 2008 and 17 against him last year in their last matchup of the season. In their careers, Millsap has averaged 10.8 points in 23.3 minutes per start against KG, which averages out to about 16.7 points per 36 minutes.

Green didn't have Kevin Garnett and Emeka Okafor protecting him in the paint. I think you are selling Amsterdam's help defense short here. Okafor barely has to look at Perkins to keep him under 10 points and can sit at home all game.

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Green didn't have Kevin Garnett and Emeka Okafor protecting him in the paint. I think you are selling Amsterdam's help defense short here. Okafor barely has to look at Perkins to keep him under 10 points and can sit at home all game.

Ibaka's a pretty good help defender. And, no, they wouldn't have to worry about Perkins defensively, but I'm still not buying that their defense is shutting down Lebron. The real life Boston Celtics are a better defensive team than this (or at least on par), but haven't been able to shut down Lebron in multiple postseason matchups with him.

I don't care who you put on Lebron. The guy is gonna put up an efficient 25/7/7 (at least). The only person who can stop Lebron, IMO, is Lebron's brain.

Sportfan
11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
meh, i think the 8 seed is better than both teams

NYKalltheway
11-24-2011, 10:01 PM
8 votes isn't that great of a difference here, but I can't see Amsterdam closing the gap

knicks_champ
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Bump

ManRam
11-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow. Love LeBron's cast. Jameer on the bench :drool:

Iggy on the bench! :drool: