PDA

View Full Version : Fan Take: Why the NCAA is the Real Winner of the NBA Lockout

ink
11-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I would love to see the holes in the TV schedule left by the NBA replaced with NCAA ball. There is no doubt that better quality team play beats individual play any time in terms of showcasing THE GAME OF BASKETBALL.

With the NBA in flux and basketball aficionados looking for fix, look no further than the NCAA.

College basketball is heavily in the limelight since the NBA's last lockout in 1999, and the current NBA lockout will probably wipe out their entire season the way negotiations have stalled the past 150-plus days. The lockout in '99 did not eliminate every regular season game, still ending with an NBA champion and some attention on the back end of the schedule.

But even in men's basketball, a sport where some NBA purists find the product watered down due to players attending school for one year and then leaving because of restrictions, the sport is essentially the same as it has always been. With ESPN's family of networks not having any NBA games to put on their television docket, the focus goes to college hoops and gives the sport more hype.

This is a great time for men's basketball at the college ranks to take full advantage of the glitz and glamour, showcasing its best teams and best players whenever possible. It is situation in which NBA scouts not only have more time on their hands to watch the best players compete numerous times, but also to find the hidden gems across the country who can make a difference at the next level.

And let's be honest: the NBA and the NCAA play two different kinds of basketball.

The NBA is predicated on great players, also known as superstars, taking games over and being the vocal points on just about every night. If LeBron James(notes) or Kobe Bryant(notes) have lousy shooting days and their teams lose, then people will blame them for not showing up as much as they should have. The criticism comes with the territory of being one of the best players in the world.

The NCAA, on the other hand, is a more team-oriented and fundamentally sound brand of basketball. Coaches preach schemes and strong-willed defense, playing with a raw sense of emotion you can only see in college sports because the players are representing a university rather than a franchise. If a team loses a big game, the team is usually put under a microscope and not just one player.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-10497379

gwrighter
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
No doubt. If the age limit increase is actually accepted into the new CBA then this could potentially be a turning point for NCAA basketball as a whole.

king4day
11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I've tried watching NCAA before. i'll never be able to get into it. No interest or passion.

gwrighter
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I've tried watching NCAA before. i'll never be able to get into it. No interest or passion.

In the Raptors forum we identify key guys that we would like to draft & I personally find interest in following them. We discuss play styles that we would like to see and so I watch the NCAA as like a scout, not so much as a fan. That's how I find passion in it. Not so much the teams but the individual players that could be useful towards the Raptors org.

Sly Guy
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
agreed. I've liked NCAA ball as much as NBA ball for quite some time now. It's too bad in Canada we don't get nearly enough coverage of it.

Chronz
11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Whens this thing suppose to start again?

John Walls Era
11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I only watch March Madness because of the upsets, good basketball and brackets. I'm not a huge fan of watching zone.

NYKalltheway
11-22-2011, 11:55 PM
i love ncaa basketball (more than recent nba) but promoting it more and televizing games more will make it more like nba imo... aka it's a bad thing. I'd love the NCAA if they made it mandatory for nba draftees once again, we'd have legendary college teams going head to head

Kashmir13579
11-23-2011, 12:11 AM
NCAA is better than NBA, in my opinion. Most of these kids play solely because they love the game. Nobody is guaranteed millions of dollars. Its all about pride.

All i can say to nay-sayers is GO TO A GAME. College ball features a competitive nature and frantic atmosphere that the NBA cannot match. Those kids are fighting tooth and nail out there and you can just feel it.

This is gonna be a fantastic season as well. So many NBA-quality players knew this lockout was coming and hung up their NBA dreams for next year. Thank you NBA lockout! Now Kris Joseph can own the big east for another season.

iggypop123
11-23-2011, 12:54 AM
if you watch college basketrball for fundamentals and as a purer game of basketball you are in for a suprise. remember butler ucon? you are going to see gimicks like zone, a bunch of jumpshots since they can easily count for 3, and in the last few minutes super micro managing with timeouts on every possession.

tbone2171
11-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Sorry, I can't stand college basketball

clevelafan4life
11-23-2011, 01:34 AM
NCAA is better than NBA, in my opinion. Most of these kids play solely because they love the game. Nobody is guaranteed millions of dollars. Its all about pride.

All i can say to nay-sayers is GO TO A GAME. College ball features a competitive nature and frantic atmosphere that the NBA cannot match. Those kids are fighting tooth and nail out there and you can just feel it.

^THIS, the guys play with a real fire and passion plus the student setion makes the game even more fun

Dade County
11-23-2011, 01:48 AM
I can't wait until these collage guys put their heads together, and SUE the **** out of the NCAA, and shut that **** down.

These players should be getting paid.... And forcing a person to have to play their for 2yrs, just so they can get drafted into the league.... Should be illegal. (Football is different, theirs no way a kid straight out o high school, could play in the NFL, and survive).

NCAA makes $$$ off of you for 2yrs ( F THAT **** )

I like march madness ... thats the nicest thing I can say about college basket ball.

College basket ball season :facepalm:

Bring back the damn NBA already!

ink
11-23-2011, 01:52 AM
I can't wait until these collage guys put their heads together, and SUE the **** out of the NCAA, and shut that **** down.

These players should be getting paid.... And forcing a person to have to play their for 2yrs, just so they can get drafted into the league.... Should be illegal. (Football is different, theirs no way a kid straight out o high school, could play in the NFL, and survive).

NCAA makes $$$ off of you for 2yrs ( F THAT **** )

I like march madness ... thats the nicest thing I can say about college basket ball.

College basket ball season :facepalm:

Bring back the damn NBA already!

If that's the only reason the players attend college, they and the NBA both deserve a permanent :facepalm:

That just shows how deeply messed up the culture of the sport is.

ink
11-23-2011, 01:56 AM

This is gonna be a fantastic season as well. So many NBA-quality players knew this lockout was coming and hung up their NBA dreams for next year. Thank you NBA lockout! Now Kris Joseph can own the big east for another season.

I agree about the passion and the dedication. It has a totally different feeling than a pro game. There's an excitement that you just won't get from the NBA.

Sadds The Gr8
11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
March Madness >>> NBA

Dade County
11-23-2011, 02:11 AM
March Madness >>> NBA

NBA Playoffs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> March Madness>>> Nba regular season>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> College basketball regular season.

Dade County
11-23-2011, 02:14 AM
If that's the only reason the players attend college, they and the NBA both deserve a permanent :facepalm:

That just shows how deeply messed up the culture of the sport is.

Theirs nothing anyone can do about it.... It's up to that individual student athlete.

They need to get rid of that word too student athlete ... what a joke... NCAA gets billions players get a so called education.

Do you know how many people graduate college and become bartenders LMAO

Kashmir13579
11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
if you watch college basketrball for fundamentals and as a purer game of basketball you are in for a suprise. remember butler ucon? you are going to see gimicks like zone, a bunch of jumpshots since they can easily count for 3, and in the last few minutes super micro managing with timeouts on every possession.
Way to reference the worst championship game in the history of march madness.

Sadds The Gr8
11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
NBA Playoffs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> March Madness>>> Nba regular season>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> College basketball regular season.

uh...no. March Madness is way better than NBA playoffs

Kashmir13579
11-23-2011, 02:27 AM

Some conferences are better than others. What do you have against the ACC or Big East regular season? C'mon, now.

Dade County
11-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Of course you will say that......... 2 words that dictate your decision making on this topic...

Toronto Raptors " boom "

Dade County
11-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Some conferences are better than others. What do you have against the ACC or Big East regular season? C'mon, now.

I really don't have nothing against College b-ball... It just doesn't hit home for me ... I rather watch an NBA game over a college regular season game.

But March madness is very entertaining!

Dade County
11-23-2011, 02:37 AM

ok...ok..ok..

I'll give you March madness brings to the table that anything can happen (but) it usually doesn't live up to the hype "meaning" the underdog factor.

ink
11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Theirs nothing anyone can do about it.... It's up to that individual student athlete.

They need to get rid of that word too student athlete ... what a joke... NCAA gets billions players get a so called education.

Do you know how many people graduate college and become bartenders LMAO

Nothing at all wrong with the idea of a student athlete. That's what a Rhodes Scholar is. During the 2008 Olympics I worked with the Men's Olympic rowing eight that won the gold medal. (Here's the feature I did on them for television (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2e27HdjiTg&feature=player_embedded)). They're all doctors, economists, motivational speakers, coaches, and scientists now. It's the culture there that's superior, that's all. Education can be a ticket to doing something notable with our lives, beyond sport.

Gibby23
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
ok...ok..ok..

I'll give you March madness brings to the table that anything can happen (but) it usually doesn't live up to the hype "meaning" the underdog factor.

I disagree, the underdig factor happens every year in the tourney. I also love the Big East tourney, The Syracuse and Uconn game from 2 years ago was a 6 ot game and better than any NBA game that year. The run West Virgina went on that year was also great with Desean Butler hitting countless game winners. The run Uconn made through the Big East tourney and through march madness was amazing last year they won 12 straight games. they had a star in Walker who got alot better from the previous year and we saw a freshman step up in those last 12 games in Lamb.

Sly Guy
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM

lol, 'zone' is no gimmick, it's a defense taught at the highschool level. The 3 pt line makes it more of a weapon in college, so teams use it as a strategy. Micro managing possession at the end of games is important, especially with kids who have less/no experience playing at such a highly competitive level.