PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Time Redraft #2 Kings @ #7 Hawks

Ebbs
11-21-2011, 03:32 PM
NBA All Time Redraft Voting!

The following teams have been assembled and are now playing each other in a fantasy first round match up. For this game please assume that all players are in their primes and playing at the top of their game. Injuries are not a factor for this game as every single player is playing at his best.

Please take the time to read the write ups and put some thought into your vote as many of the GM’s in this spent a lot of time on this game.

No this obviously isn’t real.

If you think it’s stupid go to another thread.

Other than that have fun and argue for whom you believe has the better team.

(Note - Hawks are on the road @ Sacramento.)

Sacramento Kings:

PG: Magic Johnson || Kenny Smith || Nate McMillan
SG: Doug Christie ||Byron Scott || Nate McMillan
SF: Rashard Lewis || Rudy Tomjanovich
PF: Karl Malone || Anthony Mason
C:Yao Ming || Al Jefferson || Alvan Adams

Atlanta Hawks:

PG: Rajon Rondo - Kevin Porter
SG: Mitch Richmond - Jerry Sloan - Jack Twyman
SF: Julius Erving - Cliff Hagan
PF: Charles Barkley - Paul Silas
C: Tree Rollins - Sam Perkins - Antonio Davis

Hawks Write up:

Rajon Rondo vs Magic Johnson:
Magic is an all-time great but he will run into a couple problems here:

Magic’s fast-paced offensive style will be severely limited here with players like Christie, Lewis, Malone, and Yao, neither of whom are fast-paced players. The Kings will be forced to slow the pace down, taking away Magic’s biggest strength.
Rondo’s length, physicality, and peskiness on defense (1st All-Defensive Team the last 2 years) will really bother Magic in the half-court. I am very fortunate to have Rondo guarding Sacramento’s best player.

Meanwhile, offensively, Rondo is the absolute perfect fit for the Hawks, considering his outstanding passing ability and versatility. With Dr. J, Sir Charles, and Richmond, all they need is someone to pass them the ball at the right spot and Rondo is the perfect man for that.

Mitch Richmond vs Doug Christie:

Richmond’s career 21 ppg, 39% 3pt, and 56% ts will be crucial for me since he spreads the floor for Dr. J and Barkley to do work. Sag off of Richmond for a second and he will make you pay. Christie is a nice role player but is far from a game-changer like Richmond. Despite Christie's perceived defensive ability, in their career matchups, Richmond puts up his normal career averages all-around so I don't see Christie being a factor at all.

Julius Erving vs Rashard Lewis:

Rashard Lewis guarding Dr. J!? Oh boy, now that is the definition of a mismatch. Just imagining Lewis trying to guard a prime Julius Erving is painful. Lewis's purpose on the Kings is his 3-pt shooting but with Erving's length and shot-blocking, Lewis's impact will be limited. I think this matchup here will ultimately be the game-deciding factor.

Charles Barkley vs Karl Malone:

This here is a great matchup of all-time great bigs. However, if I had a choice, I’m taking a prime Charles Barkley over a prime Malone for his superior scoring efficiency, rebounding, and passing ability. Should be a great matchup nevertheless.

Yao Ming vs Tree Rollins:

Rollins is a 7-1 defensive monster. He made 2 All-Defensive Teams and has a career average of 3.8 blocks per 36 minutes. In his prime, he averaged 4.3 bpg. He finished Top 3 in the NBA in bpg seven times. Having said that, I’m ecstatic to have him, who I think is the absolute perfect player to guard Yao Ming. His length, strength, and shot-blocking will highly limit Yao’s impact in this matchup.

Summary:

Although Jamal has constructed a very fine team, I think he ran into a matchup that highly favors the Hawks. His best player will be guarded by my best defender. Meanwhile, my best player will be guarded by Rashard Lewis. If he decides to put Christie on Dr. J, Richmond will have a field day against Lewis. Either way, it is a huge mismatch that I will exploit to the death.

Also, Magic will have a very hard time leading his patented fast-breaks with the likes of Doug Christie, Rashard Lewis, Karl Malone, and Yao Ming. The half-court offense will force Sacramento to play to Magic’s weaknesses, and with Rondo guarding him, their best player will be highly neutralized.

I think the Hawks are constructed perfectly, with an elite passer (Rondo), an elite 3-pt shooter (Richmond), 2 elite playmakers (Dr. J and Barkley), and an elite interior defender (Rollins). With the matchup advantages, I think the Hawks take down the Kings.

Congratulations to Jamal and good luck to him.

Kings Write up:

Sacramento Kings Write-up
First off, I’d like to congratulate Iggz on putting together a fine team and making the playoffs in an extremely tough division where 12 teams were good enough to be playoff teams. I expect a good fight and wish him luck.
There are three main points I’d like to immediately bring to your attention:

1. Magic Johnson+ Karl Malone duo- Pairing these two together gives me a distinct advantage over any team in the redraft. The PnR and PnP game these two who develop would be flat out unfair to play against and would dominate the transition game. Having 2 of arguably the 5 greatest offensive players ever who’s game compliments each other perfectly will be a difficult task to stop

2. Distinct size advantage: Here’s the height of my starting line-up:
6’9- Magic Johnson
6’6- Doug Christie
6’10 – Rashard Lewis
6’9- Karl Malone
7’6- Yao Ming

3. Offensive Versatility: What makes this team so dangerous is how strongly we can play all aspects of offensive basketball. Magic Johnson is one of the greatest transition players ever (if not the best) and he has plenty of guys who can run with him in Malone, Lewis and Christie. My opponent will likely try and point out that Yao does not fit this transition game; however every championship caliber club has to be able to play half-court offense. Yao Ming is statistically a top 10 C offensively and with the amount of weapons Magic has around him (Malone, Yao, Lewis) there’s simply no team in this redraft that can stop us offensively. Not to mention, the average Free throw % of my starting 5 is above 80% which certainly should not be overlooked
Now to the match-ups:

PG: Magic Johnson|| Kenny Smith VS: Rajon Rondo | Kevin Porter
There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that we have a big advantage here and this match-up will be a big reason why we win this series. Rondo is a great PG defensively, but I find it difficult to believe he’ll be able to guard Magic with any sort of effectiveness for 40+ minutes a game with Magic being 7 inches and 45 pounds heavier than Rondo. Add in fact that Magic raises his game and others in the playoffs ( 3x finals MVP, .208 WS/48, 5x NBA Champion) and that he won’t have to focus on Rondo scoring the ball gives us an even larger edge.

SG: Doug Christie || Byron Scott || Nate McMillan VS: Mitch Richmond || Jerry Sloan
Another close match-up here, but I feel it’s an important one that can decide this series. Atlanta is depending on three players for a majority of their scoring load and the fact we can significantly make life difficult for Richmond with Christie and McMillan is only a benefit for us. Add in the fact we have Byron Scott who already has great chemistry with Magic and I have a fairly dangerous slew of SG’s. I don’t expect Sloan to play a huge role in this series as Atlanta desperately needs Richmond’s offense if they want any chance at winning.

SF: Rashard Lewis | Rudy Tomajnovich VS Julius Erving
There’s no doubt about it; the Hawks have a big time advantage here. However, this is the only match-up against me where they have any major advantage. So even if Dr. J drops 35 a game the whole series (he won’t) I still will be able to handle the Hawks other offensive options. I know Lewis is the current poster-boy for overpaid players, but let’s not forget how good he was as a Sonic ( 18 PPG, 6 rebounds, 40% 3pt, 80% FT). There’s no doubt in my mind that he benefits most in this offense with so much attention having to be paid to Magic, Malone and Yao. 15-17 PPG for Lewis is certainly not out of the question and he has enough size and defensive ability to keep Erving around 28-30 PPG.

PF: Karl Malone VS Charles Barkley
Oh boy. This might be the best 1vs1 match-up in the entire 1st round with 2 top 5 PF’s going at it. Both players are outstanding offensively and would certainly be an epic series watching these two go at it. I’d like to point out a few facts that might give Malone the edge in this series. 1- Defensive superiority (3 All defensive NBA 1st teams, 1 All defensive second team). There’s no doubt that Malone is the superior talent defensively and add to the fact that Yao will be able to help off his man onto Barkley will make life extremely difficult for him. 2- Throughout their career Malone has gotten the best of Barkley (23-10, 51% FG to Barkley’s 18-10, 46% FG) 3- Malone has the greatest passer and playmaker of all time in Magic feeding him the ball. Magic flat out elevates the level of the talent around him like no other in NBA history and giving Malone that kind of playmaker is simply scary to think about. Still, this match-up would be extraordinarily close and a lot of fun to watch.

C : Yao Ming VS Tree Rollins
Sacramento once again has the advantage here as Yao will simply be able to have his way with Rollins on both ends of the court. At 7’1 235, Rollins might be able to have the length needed, but Yao is simply too skilled of an offensive player to be shut down by him. Yao eclipsed 20 PPG 3 times in his career on excellent efficiency (60% TS), posted a .200 WS/48 for his career and has the benefit of being the 3rd option in this offense. This means he’ll be getting more 1 on 1 match-ups which gives Yao a larger advantage. Yao is our defensive anchor and because Rollins is a complete non-factor offensively, Yao will be free to play help defense more often than not. This will come into play big time against Barkley has he’ll have to deal with getting past Malone and then worrying about help D coming from a man a foot taller than him in Yao.

Conclusion:
There’s no doubt the Hawks are a talented team, but they simply do not have the weapons on either end to stop Sacramento from winning this series. While we can shut down one of their 3 scoring options (Richmond) they have no answer for Magic, Yao and even Malone has Barkley is not a good defender. Offensively, the Hawks will be forced to play in one on one situation, while we can help off of Rollins and Rondo to try and contain Barkley and Erving. While it will be a competitive series, Sacramento’s offensive dominance and ability to contain Barkley and Richmond will have us winning this series in 5 games.

Sadds The Gr8
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
so close, but i like the Hawks to upset. I like their balance much more. Hawks in 7

The_Jamal
11-21-2011, 04:15 PM
so close, but i like the Hawks to upset. I like their balance much more. Hawks in 7

uhh what? They're playing 3-5 on offense with Rondo and Rollins being virtually no threat to score the ball. Christie can more than limit Richmond and Malone and Barkley is an epic match-up yes, but Malone consistently came out ahead during their careers. How are the Hawks going to match up with me in the post or stop Magic? I'm not buying Rondo can defend him for 40+ minutes a game

Ebbs
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I think Kings would win but Dr.J would absolutely shred Shard.

Rivera
11-21-2011, 04:19 PM

this.....

plus i really liked atl's write up and that convinced me to vote for the hawks

plus shard lewis is gonna guard Dr J.. :laugh2:

i know magic can run a half court offense with malone and yao but the kings cant run at all which is magic's biggest strength....not to mention the log jam in the paint the kings would cause for themselves on offense

hawks in 6

ChiSox219
11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Dr. J is a big time match up problem here. I like the team Iggz put together, they should be seed higher.

That said, I pick Kings in 6 games.

The_Jamal
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I think Kings would win but Dr.J would absolutely shred Shard.

No doubt. But because Rollins and Rondo do absoultely nothing with scoring the ball, Magic and Yao have a lot more freedom to play help defense. Yao being able to roam the paint freely is huge for us to be able to contain Barkley and Dr. J. And even if Dr.J puts up 30 a game, where's the rest of the offense going to come from? Christie can more than contain Richmond while Malone has had success at limiting barkley throughout his career

The_Jamal
11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
this.....

i know magic can run a half court offense with malone and yao but the kings cant run at all which is magic's biggest strength....not to mention the log jam in the paint the kings would cause for themselves on offense

hawks in 6

Did I miss something where Malone wasn't a brilliant transition player? And Lewis+Christie both played on up-tempo teams and were more than successful at it

Rivera
11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Did I miss something where Malone wasn't a brilliant transition player? And Lewis+Christie both played on up-tempo teams and were more than successful at it

but neither christie or lewis could slash to the hoop effectifly...more of a trailer

and if your #1 running mate in your fast break is karl malone...its more of a reason to vote for the hawks

Sadds The Gr8
11-21-2011, 04:30 PM
this.....

hawks in 6

imagine a fast break with Rondo, Dr.J, Richmond, and Barkley omfg:facepalm:

ChiSox219
11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Magic Johnson is at his best running an offense, any offense. Doesn't matter if the offense is slow or faced paced, he won both ways and was incredibly effective.

Rivera
11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
imagine a fast break with Rondo, Dr.J, Richmond, and Barkley omfg:facepalm:

NOW THATS A FAST BREAK!!! :nod:

i swear if these two teams switched point guards both teams would be wayyy better and their PGs fit there teams

The_Jamal
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Magic Johnson is at his best running an offense, any offense. Doesn't matter if the offense is slow or faced paced, he won both ways and was incredibly effective.

this. Magic made the showtime Lakers; not the other way around

KnicksorBust
11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
If the Hawks had a better center they'd have a real shot at an upset here. I love their advantage with Erving and Barkley is on the incredibly short list of players who could play Malone to a draw. Throw in a defensive PG like Rondo and an all-around player like Richmond and you got a great mix of talent.

I'm taking the Kings here but this is closer than it looks.

PatsSoxKnicks
11-22-2011, 03:15 AM
This would be a 7 game series simply because Dr. J would avg. like 50+ on Shard. Although, the Kings did a nice job in the write-up explaining that Shard would constantly have help. I still took the Kings because I like their backcourt better (obviously) and I like Yao better than Tree. The PF matchup is basically a draw. The benches are relatively even too, though I might like the Hawks bench better but it doesn't make up for the starters being better on the Kings. It would be a great series though and I'm sure everyone would enjoy the constant 50+ point performances from Dr. J lol.

The_Jamal
11-22-2011, 03:21 AM
This would be a 7 game series simply because Dr. J would avg. like 50+ on Shard. Although, the Kings did a nice job in the write-up explaining that Shard would constantly have help. I still took the Kings because I like their backcourt better (obviously) and I like Yao better than Tree. The PF matchup is basically a draw. The benches are relatively even too, though I might like the Hawks bench better but it doesn't make up for the starters being better on the Kings. It would be a great series though and I'm sure everyone would enjoy the constant 50+ point performances from Dr. J lol.

I wouldn't say 50 lolz. Lewis is good enough on defense and has the size and athleticism to hold Dr.J to around 30-35 a game. Which I'm totally ok with since I have advantages in other match-ups and the fact the Hawks are basically a 3 person offense. As you said, Lewis would have all kinds of help with Yao and Magic being able to play help D so it's not a huge issue.

CityofTreez
11-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Nice team Jamal.

Magic Johnson would obliterate Rondo, and was flawless at running the court.
Doug Christie would shut down Mitch Richmond (love both of those players) :clap:
Dr. J would fool anyone in this ReDraft, but once again, Magic makes all the difference. Magic was the master at getting defense's attention, and Rashard would be draining 3-pointer after 3-pointer.
Barkley and Malone are neutral (imo), but Magic would make Malone the better player.
I like Yao Ming and Al Jefferson as a 1-2 center tandem.

Kings in 6.

Eagles4Lyfe
11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
It would have been nice if iggz actually came and made arguments to maybe sway some votes because it looks like everyone predicts a 6 or 7 game series but since he didn't, I'll give this one to Jammal because he'd defended his team throughout and has a comeback for every possible weakness people have pointed out..

Iggz53
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't get why people think Christie would shut Richmond down when I clearly wrote in the writeup that Richmond averages his usual career numbers in their head-to-head matchups.

PocketKings
11-22-2011, 09:22 PM
The Hawks have a chance based off the Dr. J vs Shard match-up, but in the end, the lack of all around scoring for the Hawks will be their downfall. I don't think Rondo's offensive deficiencies would be such an issue if the Hawks had a better scoring C.

I think this match-up would end in a Kings victory in 5 or 6. I don't see Dr. J being able to deliver them out of this series.

theheatles
11-22-2011, 09:27 PM
kings will probably win it all

Mile High Champ
11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
This series goes six games. Malone and Barkley is a great match up to say the least but I have no faith that Rondo would be able to slow the best PG ever to play the game. Also Tree Rollins is probably one of the most average centers you can start in the redraft and I believe a Yao in his prime would simply destroy Rollins.

IN the end a Yao-Malone frontcourt is far too much to overcome.

The_Jamal
11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
kings will probably win it all

:nod: