PDA

View Full Version : Simmons: If I Ruled the (NBA) World; Charlotte Bobcats To Chicago?

Punk
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Bill Simmons Blog:

#
# The Charlotte Bobcats never should have happened. You know how I know this? Because Michael Jordan spent about 20 bucks in actual cash to buy them two years ago, that's how. If the Bobcats break their stadium lease and move somewhere else, they'd have to pay the city of Charlotte $150 million. So it would make no sense to move them, unless … you know … Jordan moves them to Chicago (where he still lives), plays in the United Center (where he has a giant statue), ropes Oprah into being a minority owner, then quickly becomes a well-run version of the Clippers to the Bulls' version of the Lakers.20 Not only would they cover the $150 million pretty quickly, but that would give the league six teams in the three biggest TV markets. And that's a bad thing … why

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6749669/if-ruled-nba-world#footnote18

That would be a good idea if they could somehow get it done without protest from the Chicago Bulls.

king4day
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Ehhh, I don't think anyone is going to cough up 150mil to become the second team in Chicago. You consider it to move to Vegas maybe.
As the opinion states, they become the Clippers of Chicago. I would stop right there because you have to remember, it's MJ running the team. That's never been a good thing.

To add to this, Chicago in it's entirety are pretty much Bulls fans. How would you get people to switch? It would take years before they start bringing in money.

kjoke
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
kings, put them in different divisions or what not, and for the first few years, i think the people in chicago would just like both teams; then little by little there is more polarity.

Byronicle
11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
this is a dumb suggestion

i could understand another team in new york but not chicago.

and i hate having second teams anywhere, if anything they should have a team in vegas. there is lots of rich ppl there just blowing money away anyways

Chronz
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Ehhh, I don't think anyone is going to cough up 150mil to become the second team in Chicago. You consider it to move to Vegas maybe.
As the opinion states, they become the Clippers of Chicago. I would stop right there because you have to remember, it's MJ running the team. That's never been a good thing.

To add to this, Chicago in it's entirety are pretty much Bulls fans. How would you get people to switch? It would take years before they start bringing in money.
MJ is pretty awful as an owner but Sterling can't be much better.

ChiSoxJuan
11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
If you are thinking Bobcats to Chicago sharing UC, forget it. The Bulls & Hawks already share the UC. Rosemont, IL doesn't have the luxury box structure to support the Bobcats either. This move would require a new facility being built & I don't see that happening.

ChiSox219
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
If you are thinking Bobcats to Chicago sharing UC, forget it. The Bulls & Hawks already share the UC. Rosemont, IL doesn't have the luxury box structure to support the Bobcats either. This move would require a new facility being built & I don't see that happening.

Lakers, Clippers, and Kings share Staples in additon to the Hollywood events and concerts. The real problem is unlike other stadiums that are typically publicly owned or controlled by a third party, the Blackhawks and Bulls own the UC and imagine those teams could make it difficult for Jordan.

No doubt Chicago could support a second NBA team whether or not Jordan is involved.

MJ-BULLS
11-21-2011, 01:29 PM
eh i think Chicago can support them. but they would draw a very small number of fans, the bulls would always rule the city in terms of which team is the favorite. and like the lakers and clips, there is no way the bulls would share the stadium with the bobcats. :laugh2:

personally, i think it would be waste of time if they come to chicago.

uptownfan
11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I would never support this team, but I'm sure there would be some bandwagoners if they became a good team

smith&wesson
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
ya i dont see it.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-21-2011, 01:37 PM

and i hate having second teams anywhere, if anything they should have a team in vegas. there is lots of rich ppl there just blowing money away anyways

They already have 2.

And I'm pretty sure the 4 major sports leagues do not want franchises in Las Vegas due to gambling.

Lloyd Christmas
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Why not Seattle?

JordansBulls
11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Just go to St Louis.

ink
11-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Bill Simmons Blog:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6749669/if-ruled-nba-world#footnote18

That would be a good idea if they could somehow get it done without protest from the Chicago Bulls.

Doesn't anyone understand sarcasm? He's totally tongue-in-cheek.

This must be how rumours start: people misread things as fact when they're anything but and before you know it the internet is buzzing with something that was meant as a "when hell freezes over" kind of comment.

ChiSox219
11-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Just go to St Louis.

Better off in Chicago

I would never support this team, but I'm sure there would be some bandwagoners if they became a good team

The city would support the team right off the bat. A lot of NBA fans and a lot of transplants plus it's impossible to get good season tickets for the Bulls.

jeter 2
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
The players are probably going to ask to kick his team out.

Heatcheck
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM

I dont think they can support it. Vegas is a relatively poor area, with alot of transplants, and those rich people blowing money could care less about a b-ball game unless theyre betting on it.

Chronz
11-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Good markets are good markets, you dont see DTS struggling even though they have sucked for years.

29$JerZ
11-21-2011, 03:23 PM
eh i think Chicago can support them. but they would draw a very small number of fans, the bulls would always rule the city in terms of which team is the favorite. and like the lakers and clips, there is no way the bulls would share the stadium with the bobcats. :laugh2:

personally, i think it would be waste of time if they come to chicago.

Especially when the Bobcats have no star players to their name unless you consider Kemba Walker or DJ Augustine building blocks.

At least the Clippers have Griffin and the Nets have Deron to show for being 2nd fiddle to both Lakers/Knicks. What would the Chicago Bobcats have?

Chronz
11-21-2011, 03:27 PM
But to say we can just keep going with the same 29 cities is bad business, and really, part of the reason we landed in this mess. Jerry Buss, James Dolan and Jerry Reinsdorf shouldn't have to support flawed businesses in flawed markets. And if believing that makes me an NBA Republican, so be it.

So true

At least the Clippers have Griffin and the Nets have Deron to show for being 2nd fiddle to both Lakers/Knicks. What would the Chicago Bobcats have?
LOL we've had Griffin for 1 year. Try a different argument