PDA

View Full Version : Does Sather pull the trigger on a trade

averymustgo
11-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking he does sooner than later. Maybe it's me but I see Anisimov as trade bait. I think the Rangers are completely sold on Kreider and Miller. Thus, they are willing to move Anisimov in the right deal. I'd love if they went after Nash. Sather had a deal in place for Stamkos. So, I would not rule out Slats offering up Boyle, Anisimov and perhaps a couple of other prospects not named Miller and Kreider for Nash who is clearly wasting his career in Columbus.

Carter asked for a trade. I actually like Carter and my patience with Boyle and Anisimov is running out. I'd take Carter as well.

averymustgo
11-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking he does sooner than later. Maybe it's me but I see Anisimov as trade bait. I think the Rangers are completely sold on Kreider and Miller. Thus, they are willing to move Anisimov in the right deal. I'd love if they went after Nash. Sather had a deal in place for Stamkos. So, I would not rule out Slats offering up Boyle, Anisimov and perhaps a couple of other prospects not named Miller and Kreider for Nash who is clearly wasting his career in Columbus.

Carter asked for a trade. I actually like Carter and my patience with Boyle and Anisimov is running out. I'd take Carter as well.

averymustgo
11-20-2011, 04:23 PM
My bad. I'm new to this forum. I wanted to edit the title but didn't see how. If you know how to do that or delete a thread before anybody responds, please let me know. :)

NYR_NYJ
11-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Nash is not getting moved and if the Rangers make a move it will be for a Defense men

Rangers in 7
11-20-2011, 06:07 PM
i could see them adding a forward

averymustgo
11-21-2011, 05:21 AM
I see them adding a forward. I think the defense is holding it's own.

nyrlamonte
11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Unless the right deal comes along the Rangers will probably stand put for the time being. A lot of it has to do with whether Staal will be able to play at some point this season or not. No need for a defenseman if he does. Could always use another scorer on the team, but I don't think anything needs to be done at this point. The team has good scoring depth, and the game in Montreal should be no cause for panic. As long as they're skating and playing their game the Rangers are a tough team to play against, and guys like Dubinsky and Anisimov are key to their style of play.

NYY09
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
We've been talking about adding scoring for what seems to be forever now. A complete 1st line would be great but I think the team waits till closer to the deadline to see what they have this year (and whats available).

Wolski upon return could, god knows he has the talent, be a 1st line candidate (and im sure he will see some ice time there) but someone a little more consistent would be preferable.

Adding a D-man could also make sense if Staal doesn't come back this year, though any trade probably wont be a big one.

onlythisfar41
11-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Honestly I dont want any big moves made for right now. Of course as we get closer to the deadline and the season plays out more I might change my mind.

However I feel like the reason were finally playing the way that we always wanted this team to play, is that the chemistry is finally there.

Theyve been playing together long enough now that the system Torts has in place is working the way it should.

If we pull off a big move for some brand name forward, it means well have to give up a couple of key guys on different lines to get it done.

Then were right back where we started with building up chemistry and new players having to get a feel for one another on the ice.

bsi
11-21-2011, 05:07 PM
IMO we won't be making a major trade until the deadline, we'd most likely try and add to our third pairing of D. To get a top line winger you have to give up too much, and anyone expecting not to give up Kreider and Bourque in a deal for Nash is oblivious to what Nash is actually worth on the market. Nash IMO = Stepan or McDonagh, Kreider and Bourque and probably a good pick in order to get him, teams like Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Detroit, Ottawa etc would love to have Nash, you aren't getting him for anything less than an overpayment.

Bleeds MSG
11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
While I think the Rangers have the parts to put together an attractive offer for Nash (should he become available which is unlikely) lets not forget that he carries a $7.8 million cap hit until the 2018 season.

I don't see how u can fit that into our current team and it would def hurt flexibility in the future with young players in line for raises and extensions. Nash is an awesome player but to give up a ton and then be locked into $7.8 on the cap for 7 more years is too rich for my taste.

YankeeFanAlways
11-21-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't recall this. Please refresh my memory.

gabby10
11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't recall this. Please refresh my memory.

at the 2008 draft, sather had a deal in place for stammer.. didnt pull the trigger, we missed out big time

Mr.Wiskers
11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Sather had a deal in place( a handshake agreement with Tampa co-owner Len Barrie) for Stamkos five months after he was drafted by Tampa, he wasn't producing and Barrie was willing to deal him but he was over ruled by co-owner Koules.

Mr.Wiskers
11-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I think if Staal gets back and we're in it Sather will make a move, don't think we have the cap room for Nash though.

Mr.Wiskers
11-21-2011, 10:06 PM
To get Nash we'd have to trade equal salary(7.8 mil), Anisimov and Boyle combined make 3.6 mi.

Mr.Wiskers
11-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd like to see Sather go after Cherry Hill, NJ's Bobby Ryan.

thegame248
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
The Rangers will have about $16 million in cap space next off season. We need to resign about 6 players give or take. I think we make a play for Parise. 6.5 per for 7 years would hopefully get the job done. That one move would make us legitimate contenders in the east.

fingerbang
11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
IMO we won't be making a major trade until the deadline, we'd most likely try and add to our third pairing of D. To get a top line winger you have to give up too much, and anyone expecting not to give up Kreider and Bourque in a deal for Nash is oblivious to what Nash is actually worth on the market. Nash IMO = Stepan or McDonagh, Kreider and Bourque and probably a good pick in order to get him, teams like Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Detroit, Ottawa etc would love to have Nash, you aren't getting him for anything less than an overpayment.

Definitely. The Rangers look pretty good despite last game. No need to jump the gun on a trade.

The Rangers actually have a lot of talent. The real reason why they don't score enough is because of the power play. They have to figure it out because a PP with Gabo and Richards shouldn't be below average.

averymustgo
11-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Ryan would be a nice addition. I don't think Nash's value is as high as a lot of people make it out to be. If Staal didn't have this concussion, I think Erixon would be the kid who replaced MDZ who would be trade bait. I actually like Del Zotto a lot. However, the writing is on the wall for one defenseman in the future. You have Girardi, Staal, Sauer, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Erixon and McIlrath. Too many defenseman and not enough spots.

I hate to say it but Girardi in a couple more years will be a UFA and he's going to get 5.5 million a year for 5 the way he's playing now. I don't see the Rangers paying him that if they have several big, long term contracts. With McDonagh and Sauer coming up to RFA sooner than later, the Rangers defense will start to get expensive.

So you could make the case that Anisimov and Boyle could be moved at some point. I know this would never happen but I would trade Anisimov for Okposo and roll the dice on that kid. Obviously, an Islander and Rangers trade makes no sense in the eyes of fans. Shame, because they are good trading partners. Bailey stinks and the Islanders need center help. Rangers could surely use a power winger.

dashripdot
11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Ryan would be a nice addition. I don't think Nash's value is as high as a lot of people make it out to be. If Staal didn't have this concussion, I think Erixon would be the kid who replaced MDZ who would be trade bait. I actually like Del Zotto a lot. However, the writing is on the wall for one defenseman in the future. You have Girardi, Staal, Sauer, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Erixon and McIlrath. Too many defenseman and not enough spots.

I hate to say it but Girardi in a couple more years will be a UFA and he's going to get 5.5 million a year for 5 the way he's playing now. I don't see the Rangers paying him that if they have several big, long term contracts. With McDonagh and Sauer coming up to RFA sooner than later, the Rangers defense will start to get expensive.

So you could make the case that Anisimov and Boyle could be moved at some point. I know this would never happen but I would trade Anisimov for Okposo and roll the dice on that kid. Obviously, an Islander and Rangers trade no sense in the eyes of fans. Shame, because they are good trading partners. Bailey stinks and the Islanders need center help. Rangers could surely use a power winger.

You can never have too many NHL-ready defensemen. Just ask every team in the league, including the Rangers. Everybody's short a quality defenseman or three early in the season.

Rangers didn't draft McIlrath, a project, in the first round just to develop him and trade him. McDonagh was poached from MTL for nothing, essentially a free number one pick; Sauer is the perfect combination of physical, smart, and inexpensive minutes with some offensive talent to contribute. Erixon will eventually supplant MDZ. MDZ is defensively better than he was in his first two seasons, his offense isn't back to where it was in year one but he'll continue to develop. The defense will be deep at the NHL level upon Staal's return, but they are not deep at the organizational level (i.e., from the top six through the Whale: Kundratek is gone and Valentenko hasn't developed), so they really don't have depth from which to trade. If Staal doesn't get back soon and stick, Girardi will be worn out by the holidays.

As for the power winger they need, that was supposed to be Dubinsky. Although he hasn't played well for most of the early season, he was the best Ranger on the ice in that horrible game in MTL. Hopefully he has turned the corner.

bsi
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Definitely. The Rangers look pretty good despite last game. No need to jump the gun on a trade.

The Rangers actually have a lot of talent. The real reason why they don't score enough is because of the power play. They have to figure it out because a PP with Gabo and Richards shouldn't be below average.

I agree with ya. The next few games are gonna be a test of this teams skill though, playing a hot Florida, Washington and Pitsburgh with Sid back..... I'm not sure that maybe it's time to bring Zuc's back up just for his PP skill. I guess big Deveaux would have to be sent down. Adding another creative forward with a good shot would make our PP less predictable, and really since we added Richards and lost Zucs on the PP it hasn't improved. Just my thought but maybe we need all three to make it effective, Gaborik, Richards and Zucs. Zucs, Christensen and either Avery or Fedotenko might add another scoring dimension to our lower lines as well. Just a thought anyway.

Mr.Wiskers
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
The salary cap is going to be the issue for us. I'd rather deal and his contract for a top prospect that is near ready and keep my defensemen, preferably a big winger since Thomas and Bourque are small.

Mr.Wiskers
11-22-2011, 11:41 AM
For some reason Gaboriks name didn't come through but I meant to say I'd deal him and his contract for a top power winger.

averymustgo
11-25-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't think any team would give up a top power winger for Gabby. I hope I'm wrong, but if Staal comes back and remains healthy, they might move Del Zotto and I think that's a mistake. I think he going to be a fabulous defenseman. He's just rounding his defensive game out now. Once that happens, his offense should take off and you have a big time defenseman.

QUBobcats550
11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
IMO our biggest need is another pure scorer. Gabby is our only true goal scorer. If we could trade for someone like Nash or Ryan as you guys mentioned, I think we'd be a legit contender.

nyr1980
11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Bobby Ryan is going nowhere. That would have happened when he had his contract dispute if it were going to, even if the Ducks are playing horrible right now.

I think it's just too soon. The actual market as for who is out there and at what price is neither established fully, nor clear.

But if we're just speculating for fun, I think Nash what be too pricey in terms of a package to get him as well as the cap implications, but I'd have to take a long look at it regardless.

Want no part of Semin. Too inconsistent and he has no heart.

Iginla is the intriguing guy. Veteran guy, lots of guts, leadership, toughness and a proven scorer ESP. In the postseason. And not tremendous in terms of time commitment. Cap number might be tricky though.

fingerbang
11-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Rick Nash has 5 goals in 21 games. He also carries a 7.8 million dollar cap hit. If he comes over here and underachieves, which would probably happen considering 80% of the big name players seem to flop here, the fans would be picketing in front of the garden. There's a good chance that Nash would only score about thirty goals per season which is nice but it's not 7.8 million nice. What if he only scored 25? We'd have a ****ing field day on this site lol. Factor in all the players that you'd have to ship out of town to do it and it's just not worth it.

nyr1980
11-25-2011, 09:32 PM
It would be interesting to see though, what Nash might do with a change of scenery, a much more talented roster, and a situation in which he was not the focal point of every opponent every single night. Could be special.

He is a bit overpaid IMO, but is one of the 5 best players in the league at his position. You don't get the chance to add a player like that, much less at age 27.

QUBobcats550
11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Rick Nash has 5 goals in 21 games. He also carries a 7.8 million dollar cap hit. If he comes over here and underachieves, which would probably happen considering 80% of the big name players seem to flop here, the fans would be picketing in front of the garden. There's a good chance that Nash would only score about thirty goals per season which is nice but it's not 7.8 million nice. What if he only scored 25? We'd have a ****ing field day on this site lol. Factor in all the players that you'd have to ship out of town to do it and it's just not worth it.

Good point. We'd probably have to give up an arm and a leg for him and I don't really think that'd be worth it.

Isca92
11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Rich Nash is going no where, he doesn't want to be traded and they dont want to trade him. If he wanted to leave he would not have signed an 8 year extension. Hes on of the best players in the game and if only he had some help people would realize it.

averymustgo
11-27-2011, 06:51 AM
He's not one of the best players in the game. If he was, he would be putting up monster numbers by himself. You also have no clue what Rick Nash wants. Just because a guy signs a long term contract doesn't mean he won't wake up a month later and want out. It happens ALL THE TIME. If Nash at this point didn't want out, I wouldn't want him. It's obvious to anybody with a clue that Nashville will never contend for a cup anytime soon. So if Nash wants to stay there, losing doesn't bother him which is not the type of player we want on the Rangers.

Getzlaf might be more enticing. I was laughing at how some Ducks fans state they aren't rebuilding. Look at your record. The Ducks are awful and they won't get any better. They draft terribly and they have NO DEPTH on that team. They need to rebuild and hire some real scouts. Problem with the Ducks is they draft soft, offensive players. I wouldn't have drafted Fowler over McIlrath in 1000 years. The Rangers already have a much better offensive defenseman in Del Zotto who actually knows what a body check is and how to play defense. Fowler doesn't have a clue how to play defense. Del Zotto learned how to play defense this season.

Isca92
11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Rick Nash is that good, if he wasnt he probably wouldn't play on the top line for the best team in the world. Since your probably scratching your head and saying his team sucks, he plays for Team Canada's top line with Crosby. Your right hes not that good. Also he doesn't play for Nashville, he plays for Columbus. As for putting up monstrous points by himself, what player does? Your saying Getzlaf would be a better choice? You do realize that Nash has a much better goals per game ratio then Getzlaf, and Getzlaf benifits from playing with much better talent then Nash has.

You suggest Carter, Why? The guy is locked up for 10 years, disappears in the playoffs, gets traded cause he parties to much, cries 10 games in when that hes not happy where he is? BTW Nash who has no help averages a better point per game ratio then Carter who played on a much better team then Columbus.

BTW, don't know where the Fowler statement derives from but him and Del Zotto are basically the same player, Fowler is just younger. Del Zotto didn't play any better then Fowler his first 2 years, it wasn't until this year when he was started to take the body and play some defense. If MDZ is that much better why isn't he killing him in numbers.
This is in no means bashing MDZ, he is playing well and I'm one of the very few that sat here and defended him all last season, when people here wre saying hes done and isnt worth anything.

jetsfan89
11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Rick Nash is that good, if he wasnt he probably wouldn't play on the top line for the best team in the world. Since your probably scratching your head and saying his team sucks, he plays for Team Canada's top line with Crosby. Your right hes not that good. Also he doesn't play for Nashville, he plays for Columbus. As for putting up monstrous points by himself, what player does? Your saying Getzlaf would be a better choice? You do realize that Nash has a much better goals per game ratio then Getzlaf, and Getzlaf benifits from playing with much better talent then Nash has.

You suggest Carter, Why? The guy is locked up for 10 years, disappears in the playoffs, gets traded cause he parties to much, cries 10 games in when that hes not happy where he is? BTW Nash who has no help averages a better point per game ratio then Carter who played on a much better team then Columbus.

BTW, don't know where the Fowler statement derives from but him and Del Zotto are basically the same player, Fowler is just younger. Del Zotto didn't play any better then Fowler his first 2 years, it wasn't until this year when he was started to take the body and play some defense. If MDZ is that much better why isn't he killing him in numbers.
This is in no means bashing MDZ, he is playing well and I'm one of the very few that sat here and defended him all last season, when people here wre saying hes done and isnt worth anything.

Fowler doesn't play physical, and likely never will. It was a knock on him coming in to the draft. MDZ has the extra snarl to his game in addition to his offensive instincts. Nobody expects him to play defense like Staal or Girardi, but you don't have to worry about him against a team like Boston or Philly. Can't say the same for Fowler.

Isca92
11-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't remember Del Zotto playing physical until this year. Wasn't he sent down becuase his defensive game was alot of swinging at the puck and needed to be harder on the puck, which he is doing this year.

averymustgo
11-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Fowler and Del Zotto are not the same player. Fowler is soft. He also has no clue what the defensive zone is. Del Zotto can play mean when he wants to. An element Fowler never will have. I said a the time of the draft that Fowler was a more talented version of Tom Poti. Pass. Thank God the Rangers did and took McIlrath.

Bleeds MSG
11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Fowler and Del Zotto are not the same player. Fowler is soft. He also has no clue what the defensive zone is. Del Zotto can play mean when he wants to. An element Fowler never will have.

I think you are knocking Fowler a little hard here...lets take a look at the stats...they are GP/G/A/PTS/+-/PIM

18yr old Fowler (Rookie)
2010-2011 Ducks 76 10 30 40 -25 20
19yr old Fowler (2nd Yr)
2011-2012 Ducks 23 2 10 12 -13 4

19yr Old Del Zotto (Rookie)
2009-2010 Rangers 80 9 28 37 -20 32
20yr old Del Zotto (2nd Yr)
2010-2011 Rangers 47 2 9 11 -5 20

The stats are almost identical for the rookie season, and Fowler has not shown the offensive drop off yet in his second year. He's also doing this in a mans league starting at age 18. Sure he's a defensive liability but before last week we all felt the same about Del Zotto. I'm sure Fowler would benefit from the Rangers great supporting D cast and playing in-front of one of the worlds best goaltenders. Not saying I'd rather have Fowler but Frankly the stats show that they are almost the EXACT same player to the same point in their careers. There is time for a 19yr old to add "snarl" to his game IMO. Just think you are being a little hard on the kid.

bsi
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I think Fowler has been excellent this year, I feel the only reason we took McIlrath was because we had Gilroy and DelZotto as skating dmen and no big physical defensemen. Thankfully DelZotto has gotten some confidence back and is taking the next step in his development, otherwise we may have made a mistake taking McIlrath over Fowler, but with DelZotto looking more comfortable I think we did the right thing. They are very comparable as far as D-men go, though it might be too early to tell yet.

averymustgo
11-30-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't care what Fowler's stats are. I've watched him play at least 10 times. He has no clue how to play defense. He's soft. In tough games, he's a total liability.

averymustgo
11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
The first time McIlrath destroys a forward in the crease and beats the living crap out of a forward who runs Lundqvist, the name Fowler will not even exist in the eyes of knowledgeable Rangers fans. Basically McIlrath is on target to be a Beauk who can skate a whole lot better. Something this team has been lacking for a long, long, time. He will also allow the Rangers not to have to put a tough guy on the 4th line which would hurt the offensive some. We are lucky to have Rupp who can score some goals. However, just look at a 4th line of guys like Hagelin. It's a huge advantage that having a player like McIlrath gives you. Look at Boston with Chara. They can roll 4 lines that can all score.