PDA

View Full Version : Source: J.R. Smith seriously injured playing in China

JordansBulls
11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/163373/basketball-headlines?r=1
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1058/jr-smith

J.R. Smith injured his knee during his debut in the Chinese Basketball Association, and needed to be carried to an ambulance by his teammates.
The fact that he couldn't walk under his own power is obviously a dreadful sign, but he refused a wheelchair and reportedly told the ambulance to drive him to his hotel, where a nurse stayed with him. One observer said it "looked like a non-contact injury," which is another bad sign. We'll update his status once more is known.

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I feel bad for him, I really do. This is a freak accident and could've happened on any basketball court.

ink
11-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I feel bad for him, I really do. This is a freak accident and could've happened on any basketball court.

I do too. Hope he had insurance worked out over there.

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I do too. Hope he had insurance worked out over there.

It's scary because that could hurt his chances at a large pay day in the NBA. I hope some of the NBA players realize how good they've got it and that no other league provides the same level of compensation, health care, insurance, & marketability as the NBA. I hope this is a warning that other players heed. Get the deal done, the longer we wait the greater the chance of detrimental events towards both parties.

ink
11-20-2011, 02:20 PM
It's scary because that could hurt his chances at a large pay day in the NBA. I hope some of the NBA players realize how good they've got it and that no other league provides the same level of compensation, health care, insurance, & marketability as the NBA. I hope this is a warning that other players heed. Get the deal done, the longer we wait the greater the chance of detrimental events towards both parties.

Definitely.

Peso
11-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Hope he's okay, and I hope to see him back in the NBA soon, dude is a baller and definitely entertaining to watch.

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Im sure he may have signed private insurance for this case in particualr to pay him dollars while he is out..

health care?

Health care?

Health care?

Dont mix China with europe, he shoudlnt have signed in china to begin with.

In europe not only he can get good treatment for his injury, he would also get it for FREE.

Tom Stone
11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Let this be a lesson to the players....the basketball gods....will send bad Karma.....in many forms ......until they repent, from their selfish ways......I have a good feeling my Raptors will be spared thou.

itsripcity32
11-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Im sure he may have signed private insurance for this case in particualr to pay him dollars while he is out..

health care?

Health care?

Health care?

In europe not only he can get good treatment for his injury, he would also get it for FREE.
Racist

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Let this be a lesson to the players....the basketball gods....will send bad Karma.....in many forms ......until they repent, from their selfish ways......I have a good feeling my Raptors will be spared thou.

Wanna know somethign funny? the best chance for your team to win a ring is if the thing worked with FREE MARKET like in the rest of the world.

KnicksR4Real
11-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Ouch.

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Wanna know somethign funny? the best chance for your team to win a ring is if the thing worked with FREE MARKET like in the rest of the world.

Raptors have been known to have rather cheap owners who don't want to spend over the cap unless it guarantees playoffs. If we had a free market system a lot of these owners would back out & franchises would close because they are in impossible markets with that type of system.

I honestly don't know why your pushing for a free market crooner. It's actually under a free market system that the term wage slave derived from.

spreadeagle
11-20-2011, 03:20 PM
hate to say it but guys kind of a tool, and a free agent i think? brutal luck..but hey Chinese dr's are probably pretty smart lol

Raps08-09 Champ
11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Ignorant on his part to refuse a hospital because his ego is too big for it.

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Raptors have been known to have rather cheap owners who don't want to spend over the cap unless it guarantees playoffs. If we had a free market system a lot of these owners would back out & franchises would close because they are in impossible markets with that type of system.

I honestly don't know why your pushing for a free market crooner. It's actually under a free market system that the term wage slave derived from.

if you keep the draft and have a free market, small markets are SAVED.

For isntance, instead of losign lebron for nothing, cavs would ahve sold him for MONEY, how much money do you think lakers, bulls or Knicks woudl ahve payed to get Lebron ? 60 ot 70 million dollars? ( as a comparison, the highest price payed for a soccer player is 75 million euros, around 100 million dollars).

SO, clevaland gets that 60 million, they can either make a HUGHE economical benefit for the owner ( wich they love) or can go and Buy a PAIR of allstars from other teams at 30 million dollars transfer each, thus making his team even more competitive that it was.

lakers4sho
11-20-2011, 04:10 PM

For isntance, instead of losign lebron for nothing, cavs would ahve sold him for MONEY, how much money do you think lakers, bulls or Knicks woudl ahve payed to get Lebron ? 60 ot 70 million dollars? ( as a comparison, the highest price payed for a soccer player is 75 million euros, around 100 million dollars).

SO, clevaland gets that 60 million, they can either make a HUGHE economical benefit for the owner ( wich they love) or can go and Buy a PAIR of allstars from other teams at 30 million dollars transfer each, thus making his team even more competitive that it was.

:clap: :clap:

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Talent flows up, not down. That is the fundamental problem right now, a free market won't fix that, in fact it will even further polarize the league. That is not good for all of the franchises right now.

lakers4sho
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't see that being a problem in football/soccer.

spreadeagle
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Never gunna happen dude,too weird. the Knicks Lakers ect would buy all the good players and greedy owners would sell all there good draft pics

Mudvayne91
11-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Right, this works very well for the EPL and Spanish league. Lots and lots of parity there. Those big markets rarely win. It definitely hasn't been the same 2-3 teams winning every year while constantly spending huge bucks.

Oh wait, that's exactly what it has been.

xbrackattackx
11-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Didn't go to hospital, WTF. No brains. Sucks though I love the dude when he's on, he is unguardble at times.

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Right, this works very well for the EPL and Spanish league. Lots and lots of parity there. Those big markets rarely win. It definitely hasn't been the same 2-3 teams winning every year while constantly spending huge bucks.

Oh wait, that's exactly what it has been.

how many of them win champions league? because dont lose your sight that the population of ALL europe is similar to the Population in USA.

The spanish league or english league ( cherry picked btw because theres free amrkaet in all oof the leagues, and some of them have more differnet champions) is not a completley valid measure because their populations equates to the population of TExas, or California, yf you have first state leaques of course the same 3 or 4 teams win every year, then they compete in teh NATIONAL league with the winners of other states, and the numbers of champions change.

then you dont factor the number of diferent teams winning the national cups or uefa cup.

meloman1592
11-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I hope he's ok. He's my favorite player after melo

truther
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM

please just stop

Bishnoff
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
and reportedly told the ambulance to drive him to his hotel, where a nurse stayed with him.

At least JR knows not to go to Chinese hospitals.

AndyfromNeptune
11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
At least JR knows not to go to Chinese hospitals.

What's wrong with Chinese hospitals?

I hope he's okay. A lot of his game relies on his athleticism and I really love to watch him play. Such a dynamic force when he's feelin it !

kjoke
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
The whole idea of selling players just seems wrong to me.

And its pretty funny that crooner on one hand embraces the free market and on the other talks about how great the European health care is.

Sadds The Gr8
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
wow that's terrible for his career. he's still young and was an expiring...he's not getting a payday

ClippersE.G
11-20-2011, 07:17 PM
If its not career ending it does not matter.

lakerboy
11-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Talent flows up, not down. That is the fundamental problem right now, a free market won't fix that, in fact it will even further polarize the league. That is not good for all of the franchises right now.

Free market or not, teams like Phoenix, Portland and Charlotte are never going to win championships. Not because they are small towns, but because their ownership and management are incompetent. Whatever system they agree to, they will always suck.

Even if the Portland owner is worth more than $10B dollars, he can never get a team together.

stawka
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM

I KNEW something like this was coming. Anyway, hopefully the word gets out and NBA players keep away from playing overseas and get this **** resolved. Best of luck to JR

Bulls_fan90
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Should never have been playing in China. Sucks, really like JR.

likemystylez
11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I KNEW something like this was coming. Anyway, hopefully the word gets out and NBA players keep away from playing overseas and get this **** resolved. Best of luck to JR

actually... Im hoping this news is more of an eye opener for the owners. Granted JR Smith isnt anybodys franchise player.... but does Oklahoma citys owner really want kevin durant to be risking his carreer playing in Germany? Does jerry Buss want kobe to waste the end of his productive years in Italy?... Im hoping the owners will want to end this lockout and not drag it out for 3 or 4 yrs.

likemystylez
11-20-2011, 08:20 PM

LOL yeah they realize that... but its out of their hands. The owners are the ones who made the unilateral decision to cancel basketball this season.

stawka
11-20-2011, 08:49 PM
actually... Im hoping this news is more of an eye opener for the owners. Granted JR Smith isnt anybodys franchise player.... but does Oklahoma citys owner really want kevin durant to be risking his carreer playing in Germany? Does jerry Buss want kobe to waste the end of his productive years in Italy?... Im hoping the owners will want to end this lockout and not drag it out for 3 or 4 yrs.

On second thoughts, I like your plan more lol

SA5195
11-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Damn, that sucks. Hope it doesn't ruin his chances of playing in the nba though, whenever the lockout gets resolved.

RipCity32
11-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Im pretty sure he has Medicaid

ClippersE.G
11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Hopefully more players get injured overseas. But I am hoping they are career ending, so players and owners can regret this debacle

Sinestro
11-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Hopefully more players get injured overseas. But I am hoping they are career ending, so players and owners can regret this debacle

Messed Up

Mudvayne91
11-21-2011, 01:32 AM

Wow, that's nice. Why stop at career ending? Go the extra mile for being paralyzed or dead :rolleyes:.

Corey
11-21-2011, 01:33 AM

That's a really mature way to wish for resolution.

Corey
11-21-2011, 01:52 AM
With MRI on injured knee soon, father of JR Smith tells Y! Sports his son was "walking around and just sore....fine."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_jr_smith_injury_china_112011

JJ_JKidd
11-21-2011, 02:11 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/163373/basketball-headlines?r=1
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1058/jr-smith

With a nurse in his hotel room? He preferred that over the hospital? :p

Shmontaine
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM

How is this a eye opener for the owners?? it's the other way around IMO... are players going to be willing to go overseas and risk the big money the nba has to offer?? i assure you the owners want to end this lockout asap --- on their terms... this will only make players more hesitant about going overseas, and realize they need to make a deal to protect themselves...

Shmontaine
11-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Ha... coming from you, the guy who continuously portrays the nba as a slave sport, this is truly hilarious

so, free market -- with a draft?? are you sure that's free market??
so, selling players from team to team isn't a slave trade practice??

thanks for your hypocritical solution... i enjoyed the laugh...

Hellcrooner
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Ha... coming from you, the guy who continuously portrays the nba as a slave sport, this is truly hilarious

so, free market -- with a draft?? are you sure that's free market??
so, selling players from team to team isn't a slave trade practice??

thanks for your hypocritical solution... i enjoyed the laugh...

1 you cant apply real free market to america right away, fans would be in shock, so you have to keep some of the traditions and slowly transition to total free market.

2 the radical difference is you dont sell players WITHOUTH their consent.

American sport= team A decides to trad e player X to team B for player Y and players x and Y cant say a damm thing bout it( unless they have a no trad eexception after years and years of service, i think only kobe has one right now) = TEAM DECISION , player doesnt get a say

free market= PLAYER X wants to get traded to team B, so he talks to his team ( a) adn team A asks team B for an amount of cash to make the trade.
So ITS THE PLAYER who makes the decision.

Of course you given your previous posts on any subject similar to this you wont understand a damm of what im saying because you either are too thick to understand it, to american chauvinist to understand it or simply to hypocrite to recognise you are wrong , or a mix of the above.

Its sad actually.

Shmontaine
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
1 you cant apply real free market to america right away, fans would be in shock, so you have to keep some of the traditions and slowly transition to total free market.

2 the radical difference is you dont sell players WITHOUTH their consent.

American sport= team A decides to trad e player X to team B for player Y and players x and Y cant say a damm thing bout it( unless they have a no trad eexception after years and years of service, i think only kobe has one right now) = TEAM DECISION , player doesnt get a say

free market= PLAYER X wants to get traded to team B, so he talks to his team ( a) adn team A asks team B for an amount of cash to make the trade.
So ITS THE PLAYER who makes the decision.

Of course you given your previous posts on any subject similar to this you wont understand a damm of what im saying because you either are too thick to understand it, to american chauvinist to understand it or simply to hypocrite to recognise you are wrong , or a mix of the above.

Its sad actually.

so, in your system... trades aren't allowed?? or, all players have to agree to trades??

Hellcrooner
11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
so, in your system... trades aren't allowed?? or, all players have to agree to trades??
" trades" barely ever happens ( sometimes a team will change a player for other and some money, but both the players and the two teams need to agree, and theres no salary matching or nothing of the like).

you sell players when a team is interested in them or the player is interested in go somwhere else.

Example,A Lebron says in 2008, i think i want to go to other team, then lakers, knicks, heat or wahtever call dan gilbert, i offer you this much, yeah well that other team is offering that much and blah blah
in the end Gilbert accepts one teams offer.
Say, Gilbert accepts the heat offer of 60 million dollars, Lebron likes it, so he can negotiate with Heat what his new salary will be, heat pays cavs lebron signs with the,
Say gilbert accepts a offer from the Raptors, Lebron does nto want to go there? No deal, he stays.

This negotiations tend to be smooth and very benefitial for the selling team do to the ebay effect between the other teams.

Example B, one single team is interested in one of your players.
Say lakers want Jose calderon for example.

Lakers call Raptors and negotiate how much woudl they want for him, once they come to an agreement they negotiate with Jose and jose accepts or refects to be dealt , if eh accepts raptors get the money.

These are generally the cheaper negotiations.

Example C, Player wants to go to a determinate place and not any other, Melo wants to go to NY, this actually ends up being tricky , some teams try to get in the way but since the player has made up his mind the former team ( nuggets) tends to reject NY offers one after another untill NY either ceases to try to get the player or OVERPAYS.

These are The REAL madrid kind of negotiations, talk to the player illegaly convince him to sign then start a mess, and in the end what happens its REAL has to pay 3 or 4 times the price the player is worht.
Wich needless to say, is haighly benefitial for the seller.

In all of the cases the KEY is the player wants to be traded and has the last word.

Then theres another interest concept that actually could help the nba LOANS

Chronz
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
You guys have gone off topic but if franchise players were making what they deserved, could a team really afford to stack them up? I dont like adapting to the Soccer rules, but wouldnt it be better if there was no salary cap at least in terms of parity?

Hellcrooner
11-21-2011, 03:30 PM
You guys have gone off topic but if franchise players were making what they deserved, could a team really afford to stack them up? I dont like adapting to the Soccer rules, but wouldnt it be better if there was no salary cap at least in terms of parity?

Not only that but it also woudl make more plausible that the top 10 players would play in at least 7 or 8 different teams because obviously no one has deep enough pockets to have two players making 50 million dollars a year and then having the roster filled with quality players.

Another benefit is players would try to sign for teams where they CAN PLAY and showcase instead of rotting in a bench wich would lower the number of good players that never come to be anything because of being jailed under a star tha tplays his position.

gwrighter
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM

That can be attained in other ways than a free market. Having a designated franchise player, giving one team the ability to offer their franchise player a 125% max deal. Other teams whom are paying that max deal can't offer another player such a deal.

Also there are and always will be irrational owners *cough* Cuban. who will spend a lot of money to win disregarding profitability. so the amount of talent that it takes to compete will be too high & thus polarization occurs -> the league becomes less profitable & blah blah blah.

Hellcrooner
11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
That can be attained in other ways than a free market. Having a designated franchise player, giving one team the ability to offer their franchise player a 125% max deal. Other teams whom are paying that max deal can't offer another player such a deal.

Also there are and always will be irrational owners *cough* Cuban. who will spend a lot of money to win disregarding profitability. so the amount of talent that it takes to compete will be too high & thus polarization occurs -> the league becomes less profitable & blah blah blah.

how curious, thats more or less how it was, cavs under the last cba could offer lebron 1 more year than everyone else and a higher percentual rise per year, so indeed they could offer him 125% compared to other teams.

guess what , that served for nothing.

gwrighter
11-21-2011, 09:15 PM
how curious, thats more or less how it was, cavs under the last cba could offer lebron 1 more year than everyone else and a higher percentual rise per year, so indeed they could offer him 125% compared to other teams.

guess what , that served for nothing.

That's under bird rights though no? so teams can extend that to more than one player if they want. Making it exclusive could adds towards the allure, or should at least to those that value money. & you could also make it more than 125%, raise it up to 150% maybe.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Goodbye big contract

NYKalltheway
11-23-2011, 12:10 AM

With such a system, it's free for all. Nobody will care about the league as a whole. Teams will care about their own wallets only.

gwrighter
11-23-2011, 01:33 AM
With such a system, it's free for all. Nobody will care about the league as a whole. Teams will care about their own wallets only.

The NBA as a league makes money off of all owners making as much money as possible, so this is counter to what the NBA would want.

akagiredsuns
11-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Can we get back to the topic of JR Smith here guys? Geez. If you want to talk all that other nonsense, then take it to the lockout thread. Mods, those comments should be merged over with the lockout thread. JR Smith, like others, have to find a way to support themselves. Injuries will happen, it's part of the game. Get over it. I can't believe some of you actually think there will be a season when players are filing lawsuits against the league that are being purged now. The season will in all likelihood be canceled. Again, why do people want to pay to see guys who don't care about you, just your money. Sad really. But I for one am glad there's no ball. Don't miss it and am in the majority, which is what 80% of America who don't care about the lockout. Time to watch hockey. :)