PDA

View Full Version : Will this lockout make the NBA the fourth sport in the nation?

SportsAndrew25
11-20-2011, 03:09 AM
I truly believe that his lockout is going to hurt the popularity of the league. I think no fan tolerates losing a season. This is not a smart move by the players or owners. What so you think? Comment as you see fit.

More-Than-Most
11-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Hockey is actually doing very well and is on its way up. I think if the NBA misses a full year it will kill them and could drop them back to 4th in the nation... Nfl-MLB-NHL-Nba in this order... Right now its NFL-MLB-NBA-NHL with Hockey coming on strong

Toxeryll
11-20-2011, 03:30 AM
nah, i dont think NHL can take over NBA. The popularity of basketball is simply superior to hockey (not in Canada of course).

Sadds The Gr8
11-20-2011, 03:35 AM
nah, i dont think NHL can take over NBA. The popularity of basketball is simply superior to hockey (not in Canada of course).
this. in the south people don't give 2 ***** about hockey

abe_froman
11-20-2011, 03:43 AM
oh,def...at least for awhile,until something spectacular brings fans back(dynasty or likeable player takes over the league),something exciting to generate interest is what's always brought people back after lost seasons or major scandals

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 03:43 AM
hopefully after this CBA fiasco concludes, enough change comes about to help the NBA become the 2nd sport in the nation.

Sportfan
11-20-2011, 03:45 AM
the nba is more popular than baseball just saying

keymax
11-20-2011, 03:49 AM

Maybe in a certain demographic group, but otherwise no. Not even close.

mdm692
11-20-2011, 03:54 AM
MLS all day. Galaxy vs dynamo

kingbrentg
11-20-2011, 03:57 AM
I've already jumped on the hockey wagon.

Go Preds!

abe_froman
11-20-2011, 04:00 AM

and what do you have to back this up? cuz looking at the numbers it says otherwise

PrettyBoyJ
11-20-2011, 04:01 AM
I think what the NBA needs to be more popular are fans knowing that there team can actually play and win a championship. That's what some owners are fighting for to be able to compete, it's not fun when you know which 2 teams are gonna make it every year or who really has a chance of making it.. With football and baseball anything can happen in the playoffs the best team can get knocked out by a wildcard in basketball 1-8 matchup usually ends in a sweep or in 5 games where the 8th seed never really stood a chance.. Once basketball becomes competitive they will prob hold the 3rd spot permanently.

Knowledge
11-20-2011, 04:03 AM
I dont remember off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure based off of the last couple nba seasons/playoffs and finals you could make a legit argument the nba is 2.

Hopefully someone looks up the ratings the nba has drawn the last few years and reaffirms what I'm saying or disprove if im wrong but I in pretty sure I'm right

Kevj77
11-20-2011, 05:14 AM
this. in the south people don't give 2 ***** about hockeyIt won't make hockey more popular on the west coast either, but it could make hockey more popular in certain parts of the country.

IndyRealist
11-20-2011, 09:40 AM
MLS has higher average attendance than the NBA. Just sayin'.

ldawg
11-20-2011, 09:52 AM
no more nba pass for me i am growing use to no NBA. I will catch espn in the mornings and maybe just maybe watch televised games when nothing else to do.

PhillyFaninLA
11-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I know some people that never came back after losing a world series in 1994. I know a few people that stopped paying any and all attention to hockey. So there will be some people that won't come back so it won't be as popular, I won't be one of them though.

I do want to add some people do understand the lockout and CBA expiration are 2 different things. All of this has 0% to do with the lockout and 100% to do with the expiration of the CBA.

CBA = mutually agreed upon, negotiated rules for all components (or rules and policies) on how the league works, from a business standpoint

Expiration of above leads to below -

Lockout = a smart move by the owners to literally so you cannot come into this building because all that can happen if you do is the potential of someone getting hurt and a lawsuit happening because the CBA expired creating a situation where there is no actual business until we sign a new one so we are going to not allow people in because this be are out of business and you aren't allowed into business when they are out of business.

PhillyFaninLA
11-20-2011, 10:20 AM
and what do you have to back this up? cuz looking at the numbers it says otherwise

He has all he thinks is fact and your numbers are your opinion. When people say things like that I find you facts are opinions in there head and opinions are unquestionable universal law that does not even need to be defending when challenged directly with proper credible fact and sources because they won't see anything contrary in there own insecure minds.

akagiredsuns
11-20-2011, 10:36 AM
hopefully after this CBA fiasco concludes, enough change comes about to help the NBA become the 2nd sport in the nation.

You have lost your mind if you think NBA will ever be 2nd. :laugh: NFL & MLB are 1 & 2 no questions asked. Taking your kid to a baseball game is far more memorable than going to a basketball game. There is nothing like it. NBA #2 :facepalm:

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 10:43 AM
You have lost your mind if you think NBA will ever be 2nd. :laugh: NFL & MLB are 1 & 2 no questions asked. Taking your kid to a baseball game is far more memorable than going to a basketball game. There is nothing like it. NBA #2 :facepalm:

Baseball has trouble attracting younger fans, the NBA does not. When all the geezers die half of baseballs fan base is gone with them lol.

Ironman5219
11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Baseball sucks, unless your over 60 you don't really care for watching 10 hours of a slow sport. The NBA will never top the NFL, but I don't see the NHL or MLB topping it. Its popularity will return once the "greedout" is over. Think about it, beside an NFL game would you watch any other sport than a Lebron /Kobe game?

ldawg
11-20-2011, 10:47 AM
You have lost your mind if you think NBA will ever be 2nd. :laugh: NFL & MLB are 1 & 2 no questions asked. Taking your kid to a baseball game is far more memorable than going to a basketball game. There is nothing like it. NBA #2 :facepalm:Baseball is dying among younger kids unless you live in the country or Hispanic but i do agree NBA will never be second and NFL will always be first.

OC Knights #11
11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
NFL
MLB
Nascar
NBA

What the league needs is to rid of all the scumbag no IQ players.

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 12:29 PM
NFL
MLB
Nascar
NBA

lol?

Cal827
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
NFL
MLB
Nascar
NBA

So Basically that would Leave Battier, Brand, Allen, and Scalabraine? Come on man! That wouldn't help parity one bit lol

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
nation? maybe.

still will be hands down the most followed american pro league IN THE WORLD.

GiantsSwaGG
11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
It already was

kjoke
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I've already jumped on the hockey wagon.

Go Preds!

Me too. Got panthers!

iliketurtles24
11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
not hockey nope

ink
11-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Depends on how protracted this anti-trust **** gets. If it goes long, the NBA drops, if it blows up in the players' faces and they have to negotiate, the system will improve and so will the league's credibility.

hustleloyrspct
11-20-2011, 02:15 PM
People actually watch hockey and soccer?

Hellcrooner
11-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Depends on how protracted this anti-trust **** gets. If it goes long, the NBA drops, if it blows up in the players' faces and they have to negotiate, the system will improve and so will the league's credibility.

and wha tif it explodes on owners face since nba is obviously a monopoly/trust ....

gwrighter
11-20-2011, 02:28 PM
^the players are treated well, they don't have an argument for any kind of anti-trust suit. I don't even know what they would try to argue. The NBA itself is 1 entity, 1 business with many franchises, they can't collude. you can't say that all of the managers at your work are colluding to pay you less wages because the judge will tell you to work somewhere else. This case will be tossed, & the players are going to have to accept an even worse deal than before.

ManRam
11-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Not at all. As long as the stars, like LeBron, Kobe, Dirk, Rose, Durant etc. are around, the fans will care.

kjoke
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
5th

behind nhl and mls

JLynn943
11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Not a chance. The NHL and MLS would have to become drastically more popular than they currently are to surpass the NBA, which is not going to happen.

ManRam
11-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I think that when it comes back, mainly if it does this season, it will remain at #2. Once playoffs come around, the fans won't care.

oak2455
11-20-2011, 03:33 PM

never always 3rd