PDA

View Full Version : Owners want draft age to rise to 20 "no more 1 and done"

spreadeagle
11-18-2011, 02:45 AM
It was not in the official proposal from the owners to the players (the ultimatum offer that the players not only rejected but dissolved the union over), but you can bet it will be in the next one:

The owners want the draft age to go to 20. No more one-and-done with college, they want two-and-done. Why? Because the owners like the idea of more scouting time for players and for the NCAA to start to make guys stars before they get to the NBA. Who knows if it will be in the CBA, but the owners want it.

Which leads to the question: If the draft is 20 and over next June, what is the draft order?

Right now, Anthony Davis of Kentucky will be No. 1 pick (scouts think he has Kevin Garnett level potential), but he is a one-and-done. If he and Andre Drummond (the center for UConn) are out of the top two spots, who is in?

Here is a top five, based on a fun debate on ESPN, some thoughts from David Thorpe and DraftExpress.com.

1. Harrison Barnes, North Carolina. The swingman would have been a top three pick last year if he had come out, but staying in he is now the best non big on the board. He can slash and create his own shot but also has a nice outside touch to go with it. But as David Thorpe points out at ESPN, maybe the most interesting thing about Barnes is he is a good defender. Everyone needs a wing defender.

2. Perry Jones, Baylor. He is like Anthony Davis in raw talent — this is a 6-11 guy who can play on the wing and should dominate both in college and at the next level. The red flag is you only see it in flashes. He could be a KG type talent, or he could be JaVale McGee. That should scare off more teams than it will.

3. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State. Another guy that would have been a top pick but returned. He’s a big bodied, smart guy who can play solidly in the league for years. Right now everybody says they would take him above Perry Jones, but come the draft GMs always fall in love with potential and Jones has a higher ceiling. That said, Sullinger will be good and dependable.

4. Thomas Robinson, Kansas. He’s a good college power forward who may be a bit undersized for that role in the NBA. Still, he has good offensive post moves and unlike Jones you have to like how hard he plays every night. To borrow a line from Thorpe, energy is a talent.

5. John Henson, North Carolina. What team doesn’t need a shot blocking, rebounding big man in the paint? Did you see the last three NBA champions? They each had a guy who could control the paint and the boards. It matters, and Henson could be that guy for someone.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/17/if-the-nba-draft-is-age-20-and-over-who-goes-no-1/

marlinsfan24
11-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Can't say I disagree as a fan of both. It would be better for development. I like footballs structure better to be honest.

iggypop123
11-18-2011, 02:49 AM
would rather have a choice. you can come out of high school but if you dont go then 2 years stuck no matter if you go to college or overseas.

Beltrans Mole
11-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Better for the NBA and for college basketball.

thenetslegend
11-18-2011, 02:55 AM
they should have a choice, they're not kids

More-Than-Most
11-18-2011, 03:00 AM

I disagree... not all nba players are great and most are broke in a few years and have nothing to fall back on. This will help them get some kind of education on a level beyond highschool so even if they don't make it big they have a safety net.

spreadeagle
11-18-2011, 03:00 AM
its one rule ive never been sure of..legally i dont see how they can stop them from entering draft at 18 still.But I remember the heyday of HS signings and it really watered down the NBA talent..20 seems like too much tho

spreadeagle
11-18-2011, 03:02 AM
I disagree... not all nba players are great and most are broke in a few years and have nothing to fall back on. This will help them get some kind of education on a level beyond highschool so even if they don't make it big they have a safety net.

you think any NBA caliber talent in college does any studying..maybe a rare few,the university passes em through because athletic programs run major schools

kblo247
11-18-2011, 03:44 AM
Send high school grads to the d league for 2 years before they can be drafted and let them make 25-30k a season (I remember Matt Caroll saying the nbdl paid for an apartment for the players during the season, nothing big but neither is a dorm). That doesn't seem like a lot, but it would allow for them to earn money for their families. The d league already offers mandatory classes to teach its players how to manage money, so that would help the kids out considerably. They would get access to a training staff. They would get top workout equipment. They would get used to life on the road since the d league plays more games than college and some euro teams. They would get to deal with pro coaches, scouting reports, and even refs before who also have to do time there before getting promoted. Plus the league has a tv deal with Versus so they would get sme exposure for themselves and be used to having some limelight that isn't refined to a campus.

I just don't see the downfall for the young players who don't really want to go to college. They wouldn't be wasting their time with cake classes and the colleges could give the scholarship money to other kids who want to get degrees. The d league would get attention. And at the end of the day you have a much better game imo because you can shape the players body, teach them fundamentals, and even lessen the chance of them hitting a rookie wall when they enter the league. Even the NCAA won't take a hit that bad because players will always lineup for UCLA, Duke, UNC, LSU, and so on but there are so many more guys who go unheard of or can't get into those schools for different reasons that can actually ball and fall hard in the draft.

The fact that they don't make a concerted effort to recruit the players even to the d league out of high school, when it is the high school players who defined the last decade is just dumb to me. I mean the only one to go the route of high school to d league was Latavious Williams and he admittedly was frowned upon for doing it by the d league team personnel. That makes no sense to me

Heck the d league could even have an initiative to ring in young foreigners so that they can learn to adjust to American society and the grind of a season

Jenceman
11-18-2011, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't doubt if NCAA officials "persuade" the owners to do this. NCAA has a lot to gain.

LakersIn5
11-18-2011, 07:03 AM
doesnt matter. if youre good youre good if you suck you suck.

Heediot
11-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Can't say I disagree as a fan of both. It would be better for development. I like footballs structure better to be honest.

I totally agree.

ldawg
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
yeah i wish they raise it to 20. its frustrating waiting on a player to develop. And some teams pay big bucks for that potential that sometimes amount to nothing but an average player. However i do feel a player should be free to join a club of his choice once a free agent. ex Lebron, Howard, Bosh, Shaq, cp3 should be free to chose an employer if they have a vacant spot and go to a state or team he would like to play. If i was a player i would hate living in a cold state or for a sorry owner and i should have that right after i fulfill my contract.

PhillyFaninLA
11-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I said on a post a few weeks ago I wanted it to be either no one and done and no age requirement or 21 years old so I suppose I have no problem with 20 in place of 21.

Slimsim
11-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I like it

miller74
11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
As a bigger NCAA fan than NBA fan i love it

Da Knicks
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I think they should have a choice this is the united states not cuba!

PrettyBoyJ
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM

I don't see the problem with it playing in the NBA is a privilege just like you have to go to law school to be a lawyer if the NBA which is a business who pays you millions of dollars to play for them requires you to be age 20 when drafted then players really don't have a say in the matter IMO

still a fan
11-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't see the problem with it playing in the NBA is a privilege just like you have to go to law school to be a lawyer if the NBA which is a business who pays you millions of dollars to play for them requires you to be age 20 when drafted then players really don't have a say in the matter IMO

I thought of this as well, we do have careers right here in the US that have stipulations.

There are not stipulations on age however which I disagree with, like the example above, there have been students in grad school to be doctors, lawyers, etc that are under 18 years old. Its the degree your talking about in that example not the age limitation.

Why not just cut to the chase and say in order to be an NBA player you must have two years in college?

Why not go the next step and say a min of an Assoc degree? Wouldn't the NBA players then be more educated, and there could possibly be less trouble going forward?

Open up the paper, go to the help wanted ads, and see how many jobs there are where they don't ask for a 4 year degree, and experience?

So the players want to be known as a business and get treated like we do only paid 100X more, well before you become an NBA player why not have a min of a 2 year degree?

29$JerZ
11-18-2011, 12:00 PM
A more educated NBA prospect is better for the NBA's future imo than a straight out of high school or 1 and done college just taking remedial classes.

I'd also like to see a better utilization of the D-League.
I see no reason why you can't replicate the minor leagues in baseball and have prospects level their way up to the NBA roster. D League really has been disappointing imo, should be more involved with the draft.

still a fan
11-18-2011, 12:07 PM
A more educated NBA prospect is better for the NBA's future imo than a straight out of high school or 1 and done college just taking remedial classes.

I'd also like to see a better utilization of the D-League.
I see no reason why you can't replicate the minor leagues in baseball and have prospects level their way up to the NBA roster. D League really has been disappointing imo, should be more involved with the draft.

Love this post 29$...........

I think the NBA would be more profitable if each team had a local D-league team like the minors in baseball.

I would love to follow the players who are trying to make our team, and see rookies develop. See players that were injured come back and play games in this league before going back up to the NBA.

I mean if players like A-Rod and Jeter can get rehab games in the minors these NBA players should not have a problem with it.

bulldog312
11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't like it for college basketball. I want to get rid of the one and done completely. These guys aren't good for the college game. They come in and done go to class and many end up just taking illegal benefits that get their schools in trouble (and it's hard to blame them, some of these kids are piss poor and can't afford to go to college even with a scholarship). Let these kids go ahead and go to the NBA.

Laces-Out
11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
im on the fence with this one because so many superstars today came str8 out of high school and some did need time to develop in the ncaa... so im all for the one and done because they have the option on seeing if schools for them and if the talent is enough to make the next step

TheNumber37
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
anyone who makes the case that they are legally adults, and should have the right to choose if they want to jump from high school is missing the point, that of course they can. upon entering the NBA, they would be joining a union, which could set up a number of rules for acceptance. also, being 18, you can't serve alcohol in some states, so legally that's a job restriction that is enforceable, same goes for being president.

Shmontaine
11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
i'm in favor of more college demands for nba players... while you don't necessarily need to be intelligent to put a ball in a hoop, you do need intelligence to manage finances, have real world perspective, and realize a more than fair CBA when it's staring you in the face...

Shmontaine
11-18-2011, 01:32 PM

why not let 14 year old's drive if they can... why not let 18 yr olds buy liquor if they can... how about letting 16 year old buy firearms if they can shoot... there are age restrictions to protect people who have proven to be too immature to handle situations... entering the nba and making millions may corrupt 18 year olds who aren't exposed to the real world... it's not a bad thing... if they're good enough, they will make it... it would also help weed out some of the greg oden's of the world, who shouldn't be making 15+ million dollars... just my opinion...

LongIslandIcedZ
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I would love for them to make is somewhat like baseball. You have the option to go right to the NBA out of HS, but if you go to college your staying for 3 years, 2 with a red shirt. It would make for some incredible college games. Beasts like Lebron and Dwight can still go pro out of HS.

Beltrans Mole
11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I like the idea of D-leagues playing a bigger part in developing young players. The problem with that is that these young, talented prospects would rather play college ball for 4 years than sit in the "minors" adjusting their game to the NBA. The college game doesn't need anymore "one and done" players, and adding another year would create a lot more excitement to the college game. One extra year for these young guys to development in college would help NBA scouts evaluate so much better.

Backstabber
11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Owners don't want to pay for the development of the players. Sounds like collusion between 2 big for profit companies, the NCAA and the NBA.

Sly Guy
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM

I agree. I'm excited to watch what two years of recruits is going to do for my 'heels.

da ThRONe
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't doubt if NCAA officials "persuade" the owners to do this. NCAA has a lot to gain.

They both have a ton to gain. College athletics are the ultimate farming system for pro sports.

I'm in the party of giving them a choice. If they choose to go to college I would make them stay at least two years. I would allows make them wait 3 years if they aren't in good standings with their respective universities. With the D-League even if a kid leaves out of high school and just isn't ready they'll still be given plenty of opportunity to reach their potential.

Da Knicks
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
What a bunch of people seem to forget is that these players help the economy by throwing that money right back into the system we live in. Without these players wasting so much money on houses, cars, jewelry alot of jobs would be ruined just like they are going to be with this lockout. Most players come in and want everything they ever wanted growing up, that is something that the economy needs.

GodsSon
11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Owners don't want to pay for the development of the players. Sounds like collusion between 2 big for profit companies, the NCAA and the NBA.

This.

NCAA runs the perfect business model. They make millions upon millions off of their athletes and never have to pay the employees. From the NBA standpoint, they avoid risking millions of dollars on unproven kids in the draft with "potential" tags. *cough* Tyrus Thomas *cough*

da ThRONe
11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
This is for the benefit of the league not the young men. This is about them being more refined players and coming into the league with a ready made fan base.

The idea that another year in college will mature a kid who's been receiving preferential treatment ever since they have played the sport is off. Those young men will do the same financially at 18 as they will at 20.

Da Knicks
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
why not let 14 year old's drive if they can... why not let 18 yr olds buy liquor if they can... how about letting 16 year old buy firearms if they can shoot... there are age restrictions to protect people who have proven to be too immature to handle situations... entering the nba and making millions may corrupt 18 year olds who aren't exposed to the real world... it's not a bad thing... if they're good enough, they will make it... it would also help weed out some of the greg oden's of the world, who shouldn't be making 15+ million dollars... just my opinion...

Why do we let them inlist in the army again? At what age, listen im an older man but i still think if those young men can put themselves in dangers way they should be able to have other rights. Making millions would corrupt anybody who has never had that type of money before. Remember money is the root of all evil, and Greg Oden is still not completely done in the nba injuries are part of the game.

I know what you are trying to say, but you went to the extremes therefore i replied in the same manner.

mjt20mik
11-18-2011, 03:09 PM
you think any NBA caliber talent in college does any studying..maybe a rare few,the university passes em through because athletic programs run major schools

True story. I couple of my friends play ball at 2 different Unis in Michigan, and to be honest, they get away with almost anything. Also tied into the fact that college really isn't that hard in the states, it makes me really upset at to why I'm putting in work here in Canada.

Muttman73
11-18-2011, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=kblo247;19806777]Send high school grads to the d league for 2 years before they can be drafted and let them make 25-30k a season.

Something along these lines makes sense.

koreancabbage
11-18-2011, 08:53 PM
True story. I couple of my friends play ball at 2 different Unis in Michigan, and to be honest, they get away with almost anything. Also tied into the fact that college really isn't that hard in the states, it makes me really upset at to why I'm putting in work here in Canada.

hey, at least you have a job/ work hard in Canada- it will pay off. Canadians on average have a higher IQ and remember- a lot of Americans don't even know where Canada is. ignorant and brash is what got them in trouble, both politically and money-wise --> can't pay their mortgages.

and I agree with the Owners --> who in fact are the owners and bosses of each team and writes the check to their employees - the players. Owners want to see smarter and decisive players when they get onto the team. it makes sense when you figure that the players are spoiled little brats who think they own this league.

kjoke
11-18-2011, 08:55 PM
thats what nba owners need. Educated players for the next cba :laugh2:

Netslunatic76
11-18-2011, 11:45 PM

hey, at least you have a job/ work hard in Canada- it will pay off. Canadians on average have a higher IQ and remember- a lot of Americans don't even know where Canada is. ignorant and brash is what got them in trouble, both politically and money-wise --> can't pay their mortgages.

and I agree with the Owners --> who in fact are the owners and bosses of each team and writes the check to their employees - the players. Owners want to see smarter and decisive players when they get onto the team. it makes sense when you figure that the players are spoiled little brats who think they own this league.

:laugh2:

America has some of the top Universities in the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

The Top Canadian University(McGill University) is 17th behind 12 American Universities.

And people call us ignorant and arrogant? Get off of your high horse.

P.S. I truly hope you weren't being serious about Americans not knowing where Canada is. . .

Netslunatic76
11-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I personally believe that telling these kids that they would have to wait until they are 20 years old to be eligible for the NBA draft might drive more of them to go the Brandon Jennings route.

imagesrdecievin
11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
I like the idea of using the NBDL more. They would need to give them a better salary than 25-35k though.

1/4 of their draft slot seems about right.

Allow a team to keep a kid in the NBDL with no restrictions until they turn 20 - then have regular D league rules kick in(freedom to send down anytime during the next two years...)

The way that the NCAA pimps these kids is disgusting and as much as I like watching college ball I can't encourage the system to continue/worsen.

koreancabbage
11-19-2011, 11:19 AM
:laugh2:

America has some of the top Universities in the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

The Top Canadian University(McGill University) is 17th behind 12 American Universities.

And people call us ignorant and arrogant? Get off of your high horse.

P.S. I truly hope you weren't being serious about Americans not knowing where Canada is. . .

lol

dude, i've watched videos upon videos of Americans being interview about where Canada is and how some say we still live in igloos. seriously. its no joke.

IQ has nothing to do with being going to prestigous universities they just have long history. and how many AMERICANS actually attend these prestigious universities (and actually for what they are famous for- not like doing an liberal Arts major at like MIT) for instance? a small percentage (of the American population) no? they would actually need money, connections, and good grades. no doubt US has really good universities- I didn't bash their schooling but the general IQ of the population.

and the students who attend these schools for basketball or whatever sport sometimes don't even go to class/ do whatever they want b/c they are there on scholarship to play sports. there is a broken system when it comes to sports and university.

still a fan
11-19-2011, 08:37 PM
What a bunch of people seem to forget is that these players help the economy by throwing that money right back into the system we live in. Without these players wasting so much money on houses, cars, jewelry alot of jobs would be ruined just like they are going to be with this lockout. Most players come in and want everything they ever wanted growing up, that is something that the economy needs.

I'm sorry, what??????

You realize we aren't watching basketball because the CBA was not agreed upon, that there is a cap, and each team will go as High as it can and that money will be spent one way or the other.

Its all relevant, eventually they will get there pay and spend it, in the mean time those getting paid will spend it.

The economy will not be affected one bit.

NBA_Starter
11-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Kentucky would be sick :drool:

MJ-BULLS
11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I have no problem with this.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I am fine with it. I would rather they be able to either choose to come straight out of high school, or have to stay 2 years, but I am honestly fine with this.

NBA_Starter
11-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I am fine with it too. IF UK goes undefeated whatever, I'm sure my boys would benefit from it too.

HuRRiCaNeS324
11-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I dont even know if this should be legal, but i like the idea nonetheless. I love college basketball and seeing two years of the best players out of high school is awesome. And i hate seeing one and done players that obviously need a lot more work to do.

Netslunatic76
11-19-2011, 09:30 PM
lol

dude, i've watched videos upon videos of Americans being interview about where Canada is and how some say we still live in igloos. seriously. its no joke.

IQ has nothing to do with being going to prestigous universities they just have long history. and how many AMERICANS actually attend these prestigious universities (and actually for what they are famous for- not like doing an liberal Arts major at like MIT) for instance? a small percentage (of the American population) no? they would actually need money, connections, and good grades. no doubt US has really good universities- I didn't bash their schooling but the general IQ of the population.

and the students who attend these schools for basketball or whatever sport sometimes don't even go to class/ do whatever they want b/c they are there on scholarship to play sports. there is a broken system when it comes to sports and university.

I don't think I've ever seen a video of someone being interviewed about the location of Canada, but I know a lot of Americans joke about Canadians living in igloos. I don't know anyone who seriously thinks you guys do. If they do, I agree they're idiots.

I agree that the system is broken. The response about the Universities was more so directed at the other guy, but I quoted you for your IQ comment. Do you have any source for this higher IQ statement you made? BTW, Ignorance doesn't necessarily correlate to low IQs. Obviously these schools aren't just accepting any person that walks in off the street.

Approximately 20 percent of the admitted students are either foreign citizens, U.S. dual citizens, or U.S. permanent residents

http://www.bradshawcollegeconsulting.com/college_acceptance_rate.html

That would mean 80+% of the students accepted into Harvard last year were US citizens. Princeton is even higher. That's just an example. What percentage of Canadians attend these Universities?

Also, I'm glad you think you know so much about America(our culture, economy, and politics). How long have you been living in the US? It's easy to judge from afar without knowing the real deal. You probably think most Americans approved of George Bush's presidency or that he even won the popular vote when he was elected.

If Iran drops a nuclear bomb on us, Canada is getting hit too. ;)

jakedajewler
11-19-2011, 09:39 PM
You should always have a choice, there's just something wrong with making someone go to college to play basketball, nothing worse then being in class working your butt off and some bball player who is never there gets a better mark then you cause he's on the team. Also this stinks of an NCAA cash grab, they already make way to much money off the backs of these guys, yeah lets make more. What the nba needs is to beef up it's D league. You have A/AA/AA in baseball and you have jr/ahl in hockey, but you gotta go to college in basketball.

still a fan
11-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I've actually given this some thought and I'm all for two years of college:

But like baseball then why not give teams the right to draft them but they just have to wait for them to play two years in college?

So now you have teams drafting players that might not be able to play for another year?

I think that would be fair and make for a very interesting draft.

still a fan
11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
You should always have a choice, there's just something wrong with making someone go to college to play basketball, nothing worse then being in class working your butt off and some bball player who is never there gets a better mark then you cause he's on the team. Also this stinks of an NCAA cash grab, they already make way to much money off the backs of these guys, yeah lets make more. What the nba needs is to beef up it's D league. You have A/AA/AA in baseball and you have jr/ahl in hockey, but you gotta go to college in basketball.

What about Football?

Maybe the NBA should copy them and not have guaranteed contracts, and you have to actually earn your pay?

What a concept?

NBA players are spoiled to say the least, and we have seen many players get these huge contracts and stink....

Anyone happy their team had contracts that just sat there taking up cap?

As a Knick fan I saw Marbury take up 22 mil and then go play for the celtics being paid by the Knicks.
I saw curry eat up 14.4 mil in cap which in essense could have stopped Miami from getting their big three, because the Knicks would have had cap space for three first.
I saw MLE signing of two guys with the same enitials JJ, Jeffries and Jerome James, injuries and crappy play getting the full MLE for 5 years, terrible.

Many fans see the NBA as taking from the players, I see the players actually be held accountable and actually rewarding the players who actually perform and then have the ability to have better teammates.

I truly think NBA players are puppets to their agents, if they would only think of it as those who perform get rewarded those who don't well they get what they deserve and teams actually can get better.

Netslunatic76
11-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I've actually given this some thought and I'm all for two years of college:

But like baseball then why not give teams the right to draft them but they just have to wait for them to play two years in college?

So now you have teams drafting players that might not be able to play for another year?

I think that would be fair and make for a very interesting draft.

I don't watch much baseball so I don't know how or if that's working for them, but teams would kinda get screwed if the guy they drafted and expected to play for them in two years ends up staying in college for 4 years or ends up playing terribly in college. It'd be a waste of picks. You might as well have taken a chance on them out of high school at that point.

LA_Raiders
11-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I like it...

still a fan
11-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't watch much baseball so I don't know how or if that's working for them, but teams would kinda get screwed if the guy they drafted and expected to play for them in two years ends up staying in college for 4 years or ends up playing terribly in college. It'd be a waste of picks. You might as well have taken a chance on them out of high school at that point.

That is the beauty of it, your now relying on your scouts, right, it makes it more interesting.

there are now scouts watching 14 year olds play, and lets add all the strategies teams can have now by having an additional year to trade them.

lets not forget till that player signs he don't count towards the cap, so a team not wanting any salary to have enough money for a max player and can't afford a rookie scale contract it would be perfect.

I'm saying I'm all for this, it would take a lot more thought and brain storming to figure this out, but i'm all for two years of college.

Korman12
11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
The closer it is to the NFL structure the better.

YungDaSensai
11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I like it, I think players like Kwame Brown would've benefitted from it. But imagine if players like Kobe, Lebron or KG would've been forced to play 2 yrs College ball haha.

D Roses Bulls
11-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I love it

Cosmic_Canon
11-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Send high school grads to the d league for 2 years before they can be drafted and let them make 25-30k a season (I remember Matt Caroll saying the nbdl paid for an apartment for the players during the season, nothing big but neither is a dorm). That doesn't seem like a lot, but it would allow for them to earn money for their families. The d league already offers mandatory classes to teach its players how to manage money, so that would help the kids out considerably. They would get access to a training staff. They would get top workout equipment. They would get used to life on the road since the d league plays more games than college and some euro teams. They would get to deal with pro coaches, scouting reports, and even refs before who also have to do time there before getting promoted. Plus the league has a tv deal with Versus so they would get sme exposure for themselves and be used to having some limelight that isn't refined to a campus.

I just don't see the downfall for the young players who don't really want to go to college. They wouldn't be wasting their time with cake classes and the colleges could give the scholarship money to other kids who want to get degrees. The d league would get attention. And at the end of the day you have a much better game imo because you can shape the players body, teach them fundamentals, and even lessen the chance of them hitting a rookie wall when they enter the league. Even the NCAA won't take a hit that bad because players will always lineup for UCLA, Duke, UNC, LSU, and so on but there are so many more guys who go unheard of or can't get into those schools for different reasons that can actually ball and fall hard in the draft.

The fact that they don't make a concerted effort to recruit the players even to the d league out of high school, when it is the high school players who defined the last decade is just dumb to me. I mean the only one to go the route of high school to d league was Latavious Williams and he admittedly was frowned upon for doing it by the d league team personnel. That makes no sense to me

Heck the d league could even have an initiative to ring in young foreigners so that they can learn to adjust to American society and the grind of a season

Great post, seriously.
:laugh: @ those who believe the NCAA actually develops NBA talent.
Apparently, standing round the perimeter and jacking 3's, is great for a NBA prospect. :laugh2:

RevisIsland
11-19-2011, 11:48 PM
I'd want it to, I hope they get it.

Grifftiggs
11-20-2011, 12:11 AM

100% they are kids. Have you talked to a freshmen in college lately? I have worked with them for the past 11 years. Most are unaware of anything going on.

koreancabbage
11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a video of someone being interviewed about the location of Canada, but I know a lot of Americans joke about Canadians living in igloos. I don't know anyone who seriously thinks you guys do. If they do, I agree they're idiots.

I agree that the system is broken. The response about the Universities was more so directed at the other guy, but I quoted you for your IQ comment. Do you have any source for this higher IQ statement you made? BTW, Ignorance doesn't necessarily correlate to low IQs. Obviously these schools aren't just accepting any person that walks in off the street.

http://www.bradshawcollegeconsulting.com/college_acceptance_rate.html

That would mean 80+% of the students accepted into Harvard last year were US citizens. Princeton is even higher. That's just an example. What percentage of Canadians attend these Universities?

Also, I'm glad you think you know so much about America(our culture, economy, and politics). How long have you been living in the US? It's easy to judge from afar without knowing the real deal. You probably think most Americans approved of George Bush's presidency or that he even won the popular vote when he was elected.

If Iran drops a nuclear bomb on us, Canada is getting hit too. ;)

i love the NYC culture, but as far as i am concerned, we pride ourselves on conservatism is most of our lifestyle, especially our banking sector. we didn't get F'd up by the people who went to those prestigious schools of yours that work in the banking sector. =P just saying. and plus we have way less people than you - it only makes sense that from immigration to the US you would attract the greatest minds from all over the world while selling the American dream.

I would have loved to go to school in the States, but it costs WAY too much. came out of high school with a 4.0 but my family is poor. i went to University of Toronto but could have also gone to McGill (born in Montreal- so i get the Quebec student rate lol)

its a conspiracy when it comes to your presidencies. LOL

its a know fact that Canadians are modest and Americans are brash. it shows on the athletes that compete in world sporting events. and that's the correlation i'm trying to make with the NBA players who leave school after one year. they think they own the place. heck, they are even going against their bosses in defiancy in the NBA. only in America would they have so much control over the revenue sharing process. 47%-49% is pretty darn good when you don't have any risk involved when you get paid. that 51-56% owners should get should be the premium for bearing risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrA4V6YF6SA

but yea, by being good neighbours in everything we do, we still would get f'd up the *** if the US were targets lol.

ClippersE.G
11-20-2011, 02:12 AM
This is difficult...it affects the college ranks tremendously when guys bust a 1 and done....and honestly, I think 4 years and college would better prepare players. The thing is there are exceptions like Carmelo Anthony...and exception like Kobe and Lebrick...so damn

JordansBulls
11-20-2011, 10:54 AM
better for the nba and for college basketball.

+1

JWO35
11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Not a fan of it...I'd much rather have it be eligible as a HS Sr. or go into college for 2yrs.