PDA

View Full Version : NBA Lockout News: Possible, but Unlikely 2012 Superdraft including 2011 draftees

Febuary21st2011
11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-111011/

Robbie Ackley
So if their is no NBA season can the rookies re-enter the 2012 NBA draft….
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Kyler
It’s never happened so it’s hard to say… the outgoing CBA says that a team has one full year to sign a drafted player or he goes back in, but the circumstances of this lockout get resolved in the next labor deal.

As Bill Ingram covered yesterday, both sides need a labor deal in order for there to be a 2012 NBA Draft, a draft cannot happen without a deal and the rights of the 2011 players will surely be addressed in that deal.

If you are hoping for a 2012 Superdraft, it’s not going to happen.

again, unlikely,but still possible that we could have a 2012 superdraft that re drafts last years players and this years players, just something i thought people wld like to know

How the 2012 draft could possibly work: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-how-will-2012-nba-draft-work/

You’ve probably already asked this question.

If the 2011-12 NBA season doesn’t happen, how will the 2012 NBA draft order be determined?

First and foremost, the truthful answer is we don’t know. The NBA has never had to confront the issue, and hopefully it won’t be necessary this year, either. But if the NBA Players and Owners can’t find common ground on a new collective bargaining agreement in time to salvage at least a shortened season, we can make some educated guesses about how the NBA might proceed with the draft in June.

What makes the most sense is that the NBA would take a long, hard look at what the NHL did after they lost an entire season to a labor dispute in 2004-05.

The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a “snake” style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.

Of course, talking about what the NHL did is really putting the cart before the horse. In fact, talking about the 2012 draft – even if we postulate that the 2011-12 season is lost – is premature.

There can be no NBA draft without a collective bargaining agreement in place. There can be no draft combine, no contact with potential NBA players by NBA teams (so no workouts), and draft picks cannot be awarded without the rules that create the entire structure . . .which are all part of a collective bargaining agreement.

Interestingly, decertification doesn’t make this any easier, as under the mentality that’s driving the push for decertification views the draft as a method of restricting a player’s ability to maximize his earnings. Instead of finding the best offer on the open market, players must sign with the teams that draft them.

The question of how the 2012 NBA Draft looks if an entire season is missed is a legitimate question, but the reality is that with no collective bargaining agreement in place there is no draft. There are no rules to govern the proceedings, there is no legal means for teams to have any contact with potential draft picks, and there is no draft order.

Until we have a new collective bargaining agreement, there is no 2012 NBA Draft.

Muttman73
11-17-2011, 11:42 AM
2011 Draft class kind of sucked didn't it?

thenetslegend
11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
2011 Draft class kind of sucked didn't it?

it sucked bad, but at least kyrie could get drafted again :shrug:

LakersIn5
11-17-2011, 12:07 PM
if the season is cancelled i want the draft lottery to be just like what the nhl did so everyone has a chance and that the cavs would not get rewarded with another 1st pick for sucking so bad. thats just unfair for the good teams

Tom Stone
11-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Jonas is ours no one can have him.....we were lucky to have him fall to 5 and gets us the center of the future.......I will be mad as hell if we lose him.:mad:

Twinsfan24
11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Jonas is ours no one can have him.....we were lucky to have him fall to 5 and gets us the center of the future.......I will be mad as hell if we lose him.:mad:

I feel the same way, but with Derrick Williams! He is a beast and I would be super angry if someone else was able to draft him instead due to the huge stupidity on both sides of this lock out.:pity:

jimbobjarree
11-17-2011, 01:14 PM
as long as they don't re-do the lottery, then I'll be pissed.

I'm happy with Kanter and Burks, but having 2 picks in the top 12 of a superdraft could be huge.

dhopisthename
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
no way the 2011 draftees enter the 2012 draft. They are not going to void an entire years draft picks and mess things up for teams

Hellcrooner
11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
wouldnt that defeat all the "parity" "competitive Balance" b.s that owners are throwing around at Brainless fans as a bone so they buy their side of the lockout?

I mean, that would give the best teams a Lottery like player .
Not to mention teams like miami that have not fared that well in the last 3 years before the 2010 summer woudl get a MID pick hence a very good player and a mid pick in the second round hence a player that woudl have been a first rounder in a normal draft.

McPeak92
11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
:badidea:

would/should not happen

gilly
11-17-2011, 03:10 PM
2011 players:
Kyrie Irving
Derrick Williams
Enes Kanter
Jonas Valenciunias
Kemba Walker
Bismack Biyombo
Jan Vesely
Brandon Knight
Alec Burks

PLUS

Andre Drummond
Anthony Davis
Jeremy Lamb
Jared Sullinger
Harrison Barnes
Quincy Miller
Marquis Teague
Terrence Ross
James Michael McAdoo
Brad Beal
Perry Jones
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Terrence Jones
Myck Kabongo
Doron Lamb
Trevor Mbakwe
Kendall Marshall
Khris Middleton
William Buford
John Henson
Kris Joseph
Thomas Robinson
CJ Leslie
Maalik Wayns
Tyler Zeller
Mason Plumlee

:speechless:

topdog
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Especially since the lottery teams of last year are the teams with "hardline" owners, there is no way the 2011 draft gets re-done/undone. I can bet you that if the lockout lasts that long, there will be a clause amending the rules for 2011 picks.

ChiSoxJuan
11-17-2011, 03:26 PM
This thread is brainless. Teams already own the rights to the 2011 draftees. There is no basis nor incentive for them to give that back.

imagesrdecievin
11-17-2011, 06:23 PM
No way they re-do the 2011 draft. Think of the trades that took place - no way they void all of those as well.

NBA_Starter
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
As long as Barnes is sent to Charlotte!:D