PDA

View Full Version : Starting A New Team.

higo1989
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
If you were starting a Basketball Team and had the ability to have any player past or present in their prime to build your team around, who would it be and why?

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 05:27 PM
If you were starting a Basketball Team and had the ability to have any player past or present in their prime to build your team around, who would it be and why?

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Russell/Hakeem

I take Jordan first because he went to the worst possible situation and turned a team into a dynasty. He also has the best stats all time (#1 all time in PER in season and playoffs, #1 all time in WS/PER 48 in season and playoffs, #1 all time in WS for the playoffs, #1 all time in 50+, 40+, 30+ point games in the playoffs and #1 all time in ppg in the season and playoffs and the only one to average 30+ ppg for a career in season and playoffs and was able to do this despite never playing with a player who won league or finals mvp on his team nor that was more proven than he was when he came.)

Kareem is next because of his dominance, but his success wasn't as much until another top 5 player all time came along.
Russell is next (he has the will, just doesn't have the numbers. You need more firepower on your team to successfully build around him)

If talking current players I'd take Duncan. I know with him he can take a team that never had much of a history and take them to be a champion. Basically he doesn't need to be with a franchise that always has won.

gotoHcarolina52
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
(1) Magic Johnson
(2) Michael Jordan
(3) Clarence Weatherspoon

Da Knicks
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
1. Hakeem the dream
2. Magic
3. Melo

mdm692
11-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Steve nash
Jordan
Dan majerle
Charles barkely
Russell

lavilevi23
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Jordan
Shaq
Wade
Kobe
LeBron
Magic

Bishnoff
11-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Larry Bird. Out of the greats he's the most winningest (yes, it is a word) player in NBA history. He could play multiple positions and could do it all.

GoPacers33
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Chamberlain

Stat boosting FTW

still a fan
11-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Magic- 6-9 pg,

MJ- best ever everything, at the 2

Larry best forward ever at the 3

Tim Duncan- best power forward

Bill Russel- grab every board, block every shot and won't ask for the ball unless its a dunk.

Bench Howard, Lebron, Wade, Malone and Stockton

Not sure it gets any better than that, defense, offense, pick and roll, speed, agility, all top athletes, and great shooters.

Close the thread lol

mlisica19
11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Michael Jordan...

Skill, toughness, passion, leadership. All of this and more was what made him the greatest. I prefer Jordan of the 90's lol. That is when he was truly matured, mind and body.

Testaverde16
11-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Jordan
Duncan
Magic

Law25
11-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Magic
Kareem
Kobe

I think a team with Magic or Kareem will win faster, but a team with Kobe would win more.

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Larry Bird. Out of the greats he's the most winningest (yes, it is a word) player in NBA history. He could play multiple positions and could do it all.

He also has the worst winning percent in the playoffs of the all time legends and he also lost more series with HCA than any other legend and NEVER won a playoff series without having HCA. Not to mention his numbers dip from season to playoffs.

Bishnoff
11-16-2011, 11:16 PM
He also has the worst winning percent in the playoffs of the all time legends and he also lost more series with HCA than any other legend and NEVER won a playoff series without having HCA. Not to mention his numbers dip from season to playoffs.

He has a better Playoff winning percentage than Shaq, but worse than Magic, MJ, Kareem, Russell, and Duncan. 0.604 Playoff win percentage is still pretty damn good for 164 Playoff games (I understand that a few others have played and won more).

He’s still my pick if I had to choose a single player to build around. It doesn’t mean that I think he’s the GOAT.

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
He has a better Playoff winning percentage than Shaq, but worse than Magic, MJ, Kareem, Russell, and Duncan. 0.604 Playoff win percentage is still pretty damn good for 164 Playoff games (I understand that a few others have played and won more).

He’s still my pick if I had to choose a single player to build around. It doesn’t mean that I think he’s the GOAT.

Well when I think of building a franchise I think of a guy who went to a franchise that was known for losing and the player turned the franchise into champions. Sure Boston the year before Bird came was bad, however they had another allstar year by year with Bird. Not to mention had won 2 titles the previous 7 years before Bird came. Bulls were garbage before MJ came and hadn't done anything. Only other franchise that was similar to the Bulls was maybe the Rockets but then again 3 years before Hakeem came Moses Malone led that franchise to the finals.
So for me, I'm take the guy who I know has taken bad franchises to the top, not guys who have gone to winning franchises from the get go.

sep11ie
11-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Id pick one with the best locksmithing skills.

Iodine
11-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Well when I think of building a franchise I think of a guy who went to a franchise that was known for losing and the player turned the franchise into champions. Sure Boston the year before Bird came was bad, however they had another allstar year by year with Bird. Not to mention had won 2 titles the previous 7 years before Bird came. Bulls were garbage before MJ came and hadn't done anything. Only other franchise that was similar to the Bulls was maybe the Rockets but then again 3 years before Hakeem came Moses Malone led that franchise to the finals.
So for me, I'm take the guy who I know has taken bad franchises to the top, not guys who have gone to winning franchises from the get go.

So you then need to discount the following players since your using the logic of "Why take a guy who pushed his teammates and had them do it for themselves and team not by being a gigantic dick and push a roster to beyond all forms of plausibility, use gorilla glue on Bill Waltons feet, play with an attitude that was both arrogant to the other team and inspiring to his teammates, help turn Robert Parish and Dennis Johnson into HoF'ers rather than guys who had great talent but were either lazy (Pear-bear) or conceited (DJ) over a guy able to make a bad team decent in his first few years (dont even attempt to twist this into the 90's teams) but struggle with his ability to connect to other human beings, did not like younger players, and was a bitter dude."
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Russy
Havlicek
The Logo
So on.

Look, I understand why you would want Jordan over anyone who isnt a 12' tall 18 armed alien built like david robinson, but please dont use that argument.

Talk about how if you wanted a guy to just go out there and sodomize an opponent so hard that not only would he suck for the game, week, or even rest of the season, but make him fail hard for a few years (see Drexel, Clyde), Than you want Jordan.

If you need a player who will allow the other team to throw their best defenses at him, maul him, and try to break him as he pops 35+ in their face its Jordan.

If its like a Rucker pickup game and you can pick any player from any year and its public, and you know the guy you don't pick first will go beyond hardcore to kill you, YOU PICK JORDAN.

But for a franchise I can completely see why bird. Unique skill set, easier to coach, worked with more kinds of players, plays a historically weaker position, and would in theory (since its a new franchise) be able to work with the youngin's better.

Jint.
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Jordan or Rik Smits

Bishnoff
11-17-2011, 12:45 AM

MJ would be in my top 3 for players to build around. Like Bird, MJ needed help from quality teammates before his team was a serious contender. The fact that MJ was drafted by a previously unsuccessful franchise shouldn’t make him more desirable to build around than Bird as a result of Bird being drafted by the most successful NBA franchise in history. In my eyes, Bird was a better team player than MJ, hence an easier player to build around. Both were winners, which is the most important factor when picking a franchise player to build around.