PDA

View Full Version : 1985 First Round deciding Game 5 - Jazz @ Rockets (fullgame)

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I just uploaded this.

Not sure how many have ever seen this game but it is a classic. It is the deciding game of the first round in Houston in 1985. The Jazz with Adrian Dantley visiting the Rockets with Hakeem

1985 First Round Game 5 - Jazz @ Rockets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8UZ-Pm5Fl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I love how Hakeem b!Tch slaps that white dude @1:34:26. That white dude seemed to be having trouble running up and down the court. NO WAY he'd get a roster spot in the league today.

I miss Stockton.

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for sharing btw. This just reminds me of how much I miss watching basketball.

Hakeem was such a special player. And its always interesting to see an epic battle like this, because even a season after it happened, people forget, because the winner of this series lost to somebody who lost to somebody else, so its easy to lose sight of how good those teams were that didnt make and how every game and every series is just one small step toward the ultimate goal.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2011, 02:05 AM
always a pleasure to watch plaeyrs that actually have fundamentals and know how to play the game instead of leaving it all to phisical atributes adn isolation plays.

Chronz
11-17-2011, 12:04 PM
I love how Hakeem b!Tch slaps that white dude @1:34:26. That white dude seemed to be having trouble running up and down the court. NO WAY he'd get a roster spot in the league today.

I miss Stockton.
I had forgotten that was this game, a ***** slap isnt very sportsman like. I wonder if he ever talked about it afterwards

JordansBulls
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
always a pleasure to watch plaeyrs that actually have fundamentals and know how to play the game instead of leaving it all to phisical atributes adn isolation plays.

Not sure what you mean here?

Avenged
11-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Did Hakeem get suspended for that cheap shot?

JordansBulls
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Did Hakeem get suspended for that cheap shot?

I doubt it unless it was the opening game the next season as it was the last game of the season for the Rockets

Hellcrooner
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Not sure what you mean here?

Ball distribution, trying to look for the man in the best position to score, not putting the ball in the "main mans hand" and allowing him to do what he pleases, Point guards being point guards and starting the play instead of giving the ball to Dantly for example and settign screens so he can loook for the shot himself.
A very different ( and better in my eyes) Game.

Its a pleasure to watch Keem and Sampson use their feet game instead of trying to overpower other centers by sheer muscle.
I can only wonder, if Sampson hadnt destroyed his career with injurys what would have happend in the last 80s and first 90s and how many rings could they have won, because Hakeem and a healthy sampson has nothing to envy to Td and Robinson.

Chronz
11-17-2011, 01:59 PM
and how many rings could they have won, because Hakeem and a healthy sampson has nothing to envy to Td and Robinson.
They could have ruled the West and won a few titles in the 80's but what do you mean nothing to envy? I dont think Sampson was THAT good. He was inefficient offensively, and a twig defensively. Though with Hakeem around that wouldnt really matter.

Still comparing them to TD and D-Rob I have to ask, do you mean at their best or just overall, they could have been more successful together because they were both young, but in terms of absolute peak ability, D-Rob&Duncan were the best bigmen pairing ever. This lasted from about 98 to 01

Hellcrooner
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
They could have ruled the West and won a few titles in the 80's but what do you mean nothing to envy? I dont think Sampson was THAT good. He was inefficient offensively, and a twig defensively. Though with Hakeem around that wouldnt really matter.

Still comparing them to TD and D-Rob I have to ask, do you mean at their best or just overall, they could have been more successful together because they were both young, but in terms of absolute peak ability, D-Rob&Duncan were the best bigmen pairing ever. This lasted from about 98 to 01

Hakeem is better than Duncan IMO Robinson is better than Sampson but consider Hakeem and sampson woudl ahve peaked at the same time while Robinson was on teh last stages of his career when td joined spurs

It evens out.

JordansBulls
11-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Its a pleasure to watch Keem and Sampson use their feet game instead of trying to overpower other centers by sheer muscle.
I can only wonder, if Sampson hadnt destroyed his career with injurys what would have happend in the last 80s and first 90s and how many rings could they have won, because Hakeem and a healthy sampson has nothing to envy to Td and Robinson.

I see what you are saying, however despite that they both were just as good as 98 Robinson and Duncan.
For instance Sampson this season averaged 22 ppg and 10 rpg and 2 bpg while Hakeem averaged 21 ppg and 12 rpg and 3 bpg

Despite that they lost to an inferior Jazz team in this series.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I see what you are saying, however despite that they both were just as good as 98 Robinson and Duncan.
For instance Sampson this season averaged 22 ppg and 10 rpg and 2 bpg while Hakeem averaged 21 ppg and 12 rpg and 3 bpg

Despite that they lost to an inferior Jazz team in this series.

they were young yet , Soph and Rookie if im not mistaken.

and i wouldnt call Dantley + Griffith+ Stockton+Eaton+Bailey +Green a bad team precisely.
Specially when the third best player in rockets was friggin rodney mcray.

JordansBulls
11-18-2011, 05:30 PM
they were young yet , Soph and Rookie if im not mistaken.

and i wouldnt call Dantley + Griffith+ Stockton+Eaton+Bailey +Green a bad team precisely.
Specially when the third best player in rockets was friggin rodney mcray.

Yeah but Eaton left before halftime in that one.

I think the moment of the game was at this mark of the video.

1:34:15 mark
1:35:00 mark

Hakeem stills off dude