PDA

View Full Version : Which team will be affected more by their Star player(s) losing a prime year?

29$JerZ
11-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Assuming the entire season is loss

Dwayne Wade will now lose his season playing at the age of 30
Amar'e Stoudemire will now lose his season playing at the age of 29
Tim Duncan another year older at 36 after coming off a successful regular season but failed playoff experience
Dirk Nowitzki another year older at 33 missing a chance at a repeat

I Included Duncan and Dirk because despite their age are still extremely important to their teams title success whether or not they are past their prime.

I excluded Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, LeBron James, and Chris Paul because they are still very young unlike the above mentioned players.

nycericanguy
11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
interesting question, but keep in mind they might be a year older, but their bodies won't take a pounding like they would have had there been an 82 game season.

So overall I don't think it will have much, if any of an effect on most players. you can make the argument that this will help these guys, especially Dirk who had a long season, all of these guys have pretty much made deep playoff runs every year

JordansBulls
11-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Tim Duncan aint' in his prime.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Duncan is already done, we should all know that after Zach Randolph ate his lunch.

Its Kobe here. Dirk is so tall, and all skill so he will age better than any star. Kobe's window is nearly closed, and losing the season just adds another year to his age.

29$JerZ
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Tim Duncan aint' in his prime.

I'm aware of that, read on...

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I am looking at this differently,
Tim Duncan at 36 might be a factor, but there is not alot of talented bigs in the league, so he will lose a year, but it wont hurt him.
Dirk Nowitzki-What will hurt him is the loss of momentum from winning a ring last summer., By the time we see an NBA tipoff again, that could be 2 years past and no one will remember who won the last championship!
Amare- Will do nothing but help him recover from his back injury. And with Melo having knee surgery, & billups mending as well the knicks could benefit the most.
The young guys will be fine.
Boston losing a year will hurt them.

btw anyone who thinks 29 years old is getting up there...is probably 14 or 15

VillaMaravilla
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
if anything I think it helps the Knicks it gives Amare more time to heal that back and Melo was pretty banged up also

Law25
11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Has to be Kobe. I notice he slowed down alot last year. It could be because of his three straight finals appereance, but even so its an year out of NBA ready shape, and with his age it takes longer to get the motor running so expect alot of rust and if the Lakers strugle in that time championship hopes will fade quickly.

AntiG
11-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Boston and LA losing a season is pretty devastating to their franchises. This year is basically the end of both of their windows as championship title contenders. Boston in particular because both KG and Allen's contracts expire at the end of the season and KG looks like he's leaning towards retiring after this. End of an era basically.

TheNumber37
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
this poll sort of favors Boston. Of course having 3 aging players miss a year is a worse.

ddhulett
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
It's not good for any of them but I would have to go with Dirk. He's still in his prime and off a championship but I don't see him keeping this up.

Duncan is past his prime so that's why I wouldn't say him.

Boston Big 3 I can see that but your talking about 3 guys vs 1 and KG is past his prime for sure.

Other- I would say Kobe is close to Dirk.

Cal827
11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Duncan is already done, we should all know that after Zach Randolph ate his lunch.

Its Kobe here. Dirk is so tall, and all skill so he will age better than any star. Kobe's window is nearly closed, and losing the season just adds another year to his age.

This.

nickdymez
11-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Back that up

YoungOne
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
if complete season is lost its good for boston cause allen and KG come off the books and could be signed too much lesser deals, and then we will have plenty of capspace to go for big FA's

ghettosean
11-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Assuming the entire season is loss

Dwayne Wade will now lose his season playing at the age of 30
Amar'e Stoudemire will now lose his season playing at the age of 29
Tim Duncan another year older at 36 after coming off a successful regular season but failed playoff experience
Dirk Nowitzki another year older at 33 missing a chance at a repeat

I Included Duncan and Dirk because despite their age are still extremely important to their teams title success whether or not they are past their prime.

I excluded Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, LeBron James, and Chris Paul because they are still very young unlike the above mentioned players.
I voted for the big 3 but don't forget about Kobe... I know he's good but he's getting on in age as well. He also was one of the only players in the room that thought they should take the deal offered by the NBA.

Sly Guy
11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
interesting question, but keep in mind they might be a year older, but their bodies won't take a pounding like they would have had there been an 82 game season.

So overall I don't think it will have much, if any of an effect on most players. you can make the argument that this will help these guys, especially Dirk who had a long season, all of these guys have pretty much made deep playoff runs every year

I agree with this to an extent. On the one hand, look at grant hill, dude lost his entire prime, but for an old guy, he looks good. The thing is, he is still an old guy. I'd like to go off and say Miami right off the bat, but even after the NBA returns, those guys are still in their prime. So the question is, is the loss of that one season more significant given the fact they'll likely have other shots at the title, or is it a team like Boston, who may never get another shot for the title with that crew?

shep33
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
As a player, I'm saying maybe Kobe, although I'm sure he'll prove us wrong and put up 25, 5 and 5 like always. As a team I say Miami, just because it takes away a year of their prime ball, which really sucks.

Oefarmy2005
11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I voted for Miami because:
a) Teams like Boston are so far past their prime, they virtually have no chance of winning a championship at this point, and probably same goes for Dallas
b) Miami has 2 of the top 4-5 players in the league and another top 15 player - all in loosing one of their prime years.

Heediot
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Boston, no brainer. This probably eliminates the even slight chance they had of winning a ship, unless of course they make some major moves.

SteBO
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Back that up
Seriously?

ChiSoxJuan
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
The HEAT for sure. The deals were backloaded. Considering the loss of rev this yr & the expected plunge in the cap for next yr, the HEAT are over the cap with the Big 3 starting in 2012-2013.

Boston is already past it's prime. Sorry, truth hurts.

Ethix11
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I have been saying for years the Heat always drew the shortest straw. What they did last year was just sticking it but now this..

MickeyMgl
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Other: Lakers

smith&wesson
11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
lebron!

needs at least 4-5 rings to be mentioned amongst names like bird, magic etc.

his game is all athleticism. he cant afford to lose a year in his prime. specially when he promiced heat fans several championships.

nickdymez
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Seriously?

Yes please.

beliges
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Having a complete year off does not help anybody. It hinders the Heat in that it prevents them from coming back after a loss in the Finals and redeeming themselves but theres too much talent there and all their guys are in their prime. It hurts the older teams like the Celtics as it guarantees no more titles there. It hurts the Lakers as well as they were an old team to begin with but I dont think it hurts Kobe all that much. He will be 34 when next season starts and with time to rest those knees and the other nagging injuries, I think he'll be back better than what he was last season.

Hell, it also hurts the young teams like the Bulls and OKC since it prevents them from having another year of experience under their belt. This was really a bad move on the players' part and they have handled this entire ordeal horribly and its a shame.

todu82
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Boston's big 3.

tcav701
11-15-2011, 04:50 PM
if complete season is lost its good for boston cause allen and KG come off the books and could be signed too much lesser deals, and then we will have plenty of capspace to go for big FA's

Bingo.

And somehow Boston is leading this vote? They would love for this season to go unplayed so potential FA's cannot be traded before they hit the market.

Kashmir13579
11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
a year off might actually help Amar'e more than it hurts him. If Amar'e is forced to play a tightly nit 50+ game season it might end his career.

blahblahyoutoo
11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
LA - kobe.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Back that up

its obvious he is on the decline. He relies on nothing but jumpers, and his team is aging around him. Artest is uselss outside occasional defense, Fisher is no longer a factor, and this is just another year added to Kobe's age.

He had 1 at the rim shot in that embarrasing Mavs series. He aint getting any better. A year off brings in new talent in a deep draft class, and the Mavs, Thunder, Heat, and Bulls will only get better.

blahblahyoutoo
11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
i don't even know why boston is up there.
their last chance to win it all was last season or even the season before.

Chronz
11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Back that up
Does Bynum become the next great Bigman?

Bruno
11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Bryant finished the 2011 season with the 5th ranked PER in the NBA (ahead of Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Dirk Nowitzki). Bryants 2011 PER surpasses that of his 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2010 seasons. His PER was two full points higher than his 2010 total, his TS% was better, as was his WS and WS/48. That represents decline?. His decline in athleticism has not resulted in a decline of offensive production; how else can you explain his totals as a 32 year old surpassing his production figures while in his physical prime in his early 20's ('00, '02)? Bryant also played 82 games last year, better than a lot of his younger counter-parts can claim. Those so quick to use his 2011 post season against him here need to consider the context. Bryant played over 100 NBA games each season from 2008-2010, including playoffs, not including Olympic duties. Nobody in the world played more ball than Bryant over that stretch of time. We witnessed exhaustion, not the changing of the guard. There is a reason why only three teams in NBA history have gone to four straight NBA Finals; no breaks wear you out physically and drains you mentally. Even the 80's Lakers and Celtics who did it only won during two of the four appearances in a row; it's not easy to do. The LA Lakers need this break more than anyone.

Kobe is the easy answer, but not the most practical. IMO it's less about age and more about milage. Unless he plays overseas and puts serious strain on his body, this break is exactly what the doctor ordered. Bryant relies and fundamentals and footwork as much as any player in the league (spare maybe Dirk). He hasn't relied on his once dominant athleticism for several years. He has put himself in a position where he can continue to play at a very high level despite drop offs in athleticism. Can the same be said of Dwyane Wade? If we miss a season Dwyane Wade will be 31 years old, two months into the 2012-2013 campaign. How will a player like Wade who has dealt with serious injuries in his past transition his game away from his athleticism when it begins to dwindle? IMO those who rely on athleticism, who are pushing 30 are at much greater risk of losing a prime year.

Remember that Bryant doesn't have structural damage to his knee, it's a matter of thinning cartilage, and the arthritis that comes along with it. He's been working with the most advanced doctors in the world, specifically a German doctor who has claimed to be the only man to have cured arthritis. Reports coming out express that he hasn't looked this good in years.

IMO time off is exactly what Bryant and Bynums knees need, it's what Gasols mental grit needs. LA isn't a team that relies on athleticism, they're about fundamentals and size. I think our quicker, more athletic teams with players pushing 30 are the ones who suffer the most.

mdm692
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Suns and lakers. Steve nash is nearing his 40s and kobe isnt getting any younger both of those teams would be doomed without their respective superstars

Gators123
11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
/Troll on

Shannon Brown will replace Kobe as the Lakers starting SG. Kobe will be solid for 10-15 minutes off the bench.

/Troll off

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Glass is half full, I respect that

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 08:03 PM
i don't even know why boston is up there.
their last chance to win it all was last season or even the season before.

The east has gotten alot more competitive.

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
/Troll on

Shannon Brown will replace Kobe as the Lakers starting SG. Kobe will be solid for 10-15 minutes off the bench.

/Troll off

I get the sarcasm, but if it ever does come to that, Kobe will retire really fast

beliges
11-15-2011, 08:05 PM
its obvious he is on the decline. He relies on nothing but jumpers, and his team is aging around him. Artest is uselss outside occasional defense, Fisher is no longer a factor, and this is just another year added to Kobe's age.

He had 1 at the rim shot in that embarrasing Mavs series. He aint getting any better. A year off brings in new talent in a deep draft class, and the Mavs, Thunder, Heat, and Bulls will only get better.

I agree to a degree with this. Kobe had his worst season since his first few years in the league. He has been a first class elite player for well over an entire decade. Something that is very very rare. However, I think 50% of his decline was due to his age and the other 50% was from his knees and other nagging injuries. I think with a good amount of time off, he could be back even better than he was the past season. I wouldnt put it passed him. Furthermore, the Lakers will be hungry once again. Losing the way they did, essentially getting embarassed off the floor with light that fire in them again. I think LA still has another 2-3 year championship window thatll be as good as any other team's. But only time will tell.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree to a degree with this. Kobe had his worst season since his first few years in the league. He has been a first class elite player for well over an entire decade. Something that is very very rare. However, I think 50% of his decline was due to his age and the other 50% was from his knees and other nagging injuries. I think with a good amount of time off, he could be back even better than he was the past season. I wouldnt put it passed him. Furthermore, the Lakers will be hungry once again. Losing the way they did, essentially getting embarassed off the floor with light that fire in them again. I think LA still has another 2-3 year championship window thatll be as good as any other team's. But only time will tell.

I agree that rest will help him. But 1400+ regular season games, and 12+ extended playoff runs damage a man, period. Kobe has lost a lot of athletic ability, and take it from a 36 year old who works out a ton, there are just things you can't do at 34-35 that you could do at 28. Its called aging.

Cool007
11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
The HEAT for sure. The deals were backloaded. Considering the loss of rev this yr & the expected plunge in the cap for next yr, the HEAT are over the cap with the Big 3 starting in 2012-2013.

Boston is already past it's prime. Sorry, truth hurts.

I agree.

I think Boston is basically done anyway and with Dallas and OKC plus other teams like Memphis emerging, I think Lakers are also pretty much done as well.

IMO, losing an entire season will hurt a lot more to Heat (especially LeBron) mainly coz they will lose a season in their prime and it will be like 8 years for LeBron to win it all and still no ring. They will have only 4 years left together and Wade will be 31. Meaning the window will be another couple of years to win a ring or two.

Not to mention the whole momentum they still have that they could lose. They maybe near the lux tax and may not be able to add anyone significant while other team like NYK, Chi, OKC etc improving which could be bad for Heat.

LeBron is in that situation where he has to win 3-6 titles to be considered as great as Kobe and losing this prime year could hurt him in a big way.

PAOboston
11-16-2011, 12:17 AM
yeah boston big 3 would get older, but kg/allen's deals are off the books giving the c's some serious cap space to sign fa's. it could really jumpstart a quick rebuilding and keep the c's rather relevant in the east.

so the lockout isnt necessarily all bad for the c's.

Sactown
11-16-2011, 02:52 AM
a year off might actually help Amar'e more than it hurts him. If Amar'e is forced to play a tightly nit 50+ game season it might end his career.

LOL :clap:

basketfan4life
11-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Bryant finished the 2011 season with the 5th ranked PER in the NBA (ahead of Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Dirk Nowitzki). Bryants 2011 PER surpasses that of his 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2010 seasons. His PER was two full points higher than his 2010 total, his TS% was better, as was his WS and WS/48. That represents decline?. His decline in athleticism has not resulted in a decline of offensive production; how else can you explain his totals as a 32 year old surpassing his production figures while in his physical prime in his early 20's ('00, '02)? Bryant also played 82 games last year, better than a lot of his younger counter-parts can claim. Those so quick to use his 2011 post season against him here need to consider the context. Bryant played over 100 NBA games each season from 2008-2010, including playoffs, not including Olympic duties. Nobody in the world played more ball than Bryant over that stretch of time. We witnessed exhaustion, not the changing of the guard. There is a reason why only three teams in NBA history have gone to four straight NBA Finals; no breaks wear you out physically and drains you mentally. Even the 80's Lakers and Celtics who did it only won during two of the four appearances in a row; it's not easy to do. The LA Lakers need this break more than anyone.

Kobe is the easy answer, but not the most practical. IMO it's less about age and more about milage. Unless he plays overseas and puts serious strain on his body, this break is exactly what the doctor ordered. Bryant relies and fundamentals and footwork as much as any player in the league (spare maybe Dirk). He hasn't relied on his once dominant athleticism for several years. He has put himself in a position where he can continue to play at a very high level despite drop offs in athleticism. Can the same be said of Dwyane Wade? If we miss a season Dwyane Wade will be 31 years old, two months into the 2012-2013 campaign. How will a player like Wade who has dealt with serious injuries in his past transition his game away from his athleticism when it begins to dwindle? IMO those who rely on athleticism, who are pushing 30 are at much greater risk of losing a prime year.

Remember that Bryant doesn't have structural damage to his knee, it's a matter of thinning cartilage, and the arthritis that comes along with it. He's been working with the most advanced doctors in the world, specifically a German doctor who has claimed to be the only man to have cured arthritis. Reports coming out express that he hasn't looked this good in years.

IMO time off is exactly what Bryant and Bynums knees need, it's what Gasols mental grit needs. LA isn't a team that relies on athleticism, they're about fundamentals and size. I think our quicker, more athletic teams with players pushing 30 are the ones who suffer the most.

Hey people who say Kobe is done,please answer to this post, i'm literally begging you...

You use lebrons minutes and say he was exhausted in the finals,poor lebron ha!!!

and on the other hand,one man plays 3 straight finals, takes the most minutes in last 4 years, finally gets exhausted and you all jump and say he is done! İ saw him in person this summer,He is gonna emberass a lot of people, mark these words...

Law25
11-16-2011, 10:57 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Great post

Lord Leoshes
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Lal - bos - sa

lavilevi23
11-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Boston are done if there is no season. So are the Spurs imo.

beliges
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Boston are done if there is no season. So are the Spurs imo.

SPurs have already been done for a few years now. Boston is most likely done if theres no season. Lakers will still be contending for a few more years. Kobe and Pau and Bynum with Lamar, thats a great core to win at least another title. We shall see.

Sactown
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Hard to say, I think it's going to hurt the young stars as far as career accomplishments go, and I doubt this is going to help any of the older stars either because let's face it even when rested a year older is still a year older even without the bang of an 82 game season.. just hard to predict

da ThRONe
11-16-2011, 09:29 PM
None. I feel like it will have the complete opposite effect on vets.

It's one of the reason I feel the season is too long.

Ill21
11-16-2011, 10:05 PM
This helps the Knicks. Gives Amare's body a break.

nickdymez
11-16-2011, 11:52 PM

This was my point right here... Now i challenge one of you people who said "Kobe" to prove why you think he's on the decline. Not just "He only shot jumpers". Thats not a good argument..

Gators123
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
This was my point right here... Now i challenge one of you people who said "Kobe" to prove why you think he's on the decline. Not just "He only shot jumpers". Thats not a good argument..

If you can't see that Kobe is declining then you are blind.

nickdymez
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
If you can't see that Kobe is declining then you are blind.

And you are blind if you didn't read the 3 paragraph response to people like you saying he's declining but have absolutely no proof. except "He shoots more jumpshots".

Sactown
11-17-2011, 01:49 AM
And you are blind if you didn't read the 3 paragraph response to people like you saying he's declining but have absolutely no proof. except "He shoots more jumpshots".

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6000036

JordansBulls
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
/Troll on

/Troll off

Green font is sarcasm.

mightybosstone
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
How is Kobe not included on this list when he's clearly the obvious answer here? He clearly wants to tie MJ's six rings, but this next season would be his best chance to get it done with everyone aging (himself included).

topdog
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Boston and LA losing a season is pretty devastating to their franchises. This year is basically the end of both of their windows as championship title contenders. Boston in particular because both KG and Allen's contracts expire at the end of the season and KG looks like he's leaning towards retiring after this. End of an era basically.

This^

Kobe's getting up there and is the championship edge to that team.

But whether KG and Allen diminish in skill or not, Boston is more severely wounded because the contracts are running out and 2012 will be a decision year on whether guys will sign on for 1-2 more years or Boston will re-build around Rondo.

If I'm Boston, I hope: I lose the season, I don't pay $70M in salaries, Kobe ages a year, 2011 Free Agency doesn't happen and in 2012 I chase Nene/Gasol (maybe West... meh) and trade Pierce to a contender for some nice young pieces.

Lil Rhody
11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
God I hope we dont build around Rondo....... I wish we could trade him for Westbrook or Rondo, Green, Bradley and a 1st for CP3