PDA

View Full Version : Contraction and drug testing roadblock to labour deal?

spreadeagle
11-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Havent made any lockout related threads cause they seem to be endless but found this interesting
According to Yahoo! Sports, some of the biggest issues standing between the League and its players’ union include contraction of teams in the future, and more rigid drug-testing (items that weren’t really discussed during this weekend’s aggressive media blitz): “One of the most prominent issues that has been raised in talks includes the NBA’s desire to cut into the players’ share of the revenue split should owners decide to contract teams over the proposed 10-year deal, sources said. The owners are offering a 50-50 split of revenue, but the possible elimination of two teams would cause the BRI to be adjusted with a smaller percentage for the players, sources said. The NBA also wants to be able to contract teams without consulting the union. In a coordinated Twitter push on Sunday, Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver were said to be answering questions for fans. In an answer to a question about team contraction, the league officials responded that it ‘had been discussed,’ and that it was not a ‘complete solution.’ Also, the NBA wants to conduct out-of-season drug testing of players, including testing for some drugs and performance-enhancing substances that could only be done through blood samples. Currently, the NBA does random in-season testing of urine samples for such drugs as marijuana and cocaine. If the players were to vote to accept the terms of the owners’ current proposal, the litany of B-list issues – including contraction, drug testing, Developmental League assignments and draft age eligibility – would still have to be agreed upon. There’s a growing belief that Stern doesn’t have the ownership support to pass the very proposal he’s been pushing all weekend, and that owners would ultimately kill this deal with the list of non-negotiable B-list issues the players would oppose. This way, the league can say it worked hard to cut a fairer deal with players, but in the end, the owners will get the draconian ‘reset’ proposal that many of them have wanted all along.” http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/roadblocks-to-labor-deal-team-contraction-more-drug-testing/

Hellcrooner
11-15-2011, 05:32 AM
not surprised at all.

I mean, there are players that OBVIOUSLY use some dope to get or mantain those conan the barbarian like bodies.

jimm120
11-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Good article

But wow, you can tell that New Orleans would be one of those contracted teams (considering how much they move).

I winder who'd be the other team (charlotte ???)

spreadeagle
11-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Good article

But wow, you can tell that New Orleans would be one of those contracted teams (considering how much they move).

I winder who'd be the other team (charlotte ???)

Kings,Bucks if I had to guess New Orleans like u said

ink
11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Good for the league to finally start legitimate drug testing. I can see why the players would be freaked out. Between recreational drugs and PEDs they would be in deep **** if the testing started right now. Cultural shift coming and the players would fight that as hard as they could.

Tom Stone
11-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm confused about contraction...Why would the NBA want to get rid of two teams?.....And what two teams is he referring to.....My Raptors are safe I believe with top ten in attendance....and we were not on the small market list of owners, that sent David stern a letter saying we didn't want the deal.....so again I'm pretty sure the Raptors are safe , but I really don't want to see any team leave.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
New Orleans is almost a for sure. The other I am not sure.

Drug testing out of season seems a bit useless to me. I wouldn't care one way or another if they did it, but I really don't get why they would bother.

Sinestro
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I really don't wanna see contraction, I'd rather see teams move around to markets that will support them ie, Seattle, Las Vegas, and others

gwrighter
11-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I like the PED testing rule.

Shmontaine
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I like the PED testing rule.

i'm for it and for drug testing whenever... players should be responsible enough to keep it clean...

i'm also for owners being drug tested before any contracts signed or trades made, maybe then they won't do such obviously ******** moves...

Sinestro
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
i'm also for owners being drug tested before any contracts signed or trades made, maybe then they won't do such obviously ******** moves...

:laugh:

gwrighter
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
i'm for it and for drug testing whenever... players should be responsible enough to keep it clean...

yeah, i wonder how many players take PED's, looks like a lot of them.

lol, its more complicated than that but i get what your saying. It's unfortunate but managers need to be reigned in with a system. Without a limiting system spending would be irrational & the league would become a polarized mess.

Cal827
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

:laugh2: :clap:

Dade County
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm confused about contraction...Why would the NBA want to get rid of two teams?.....And what two teams is he referring to.....My Raptors are safe I believe with top ten in attendance....and we were not on the small market list of owners, that sent David stern a letter saying we didn't want the deal.....so again I'm pretty sure the Raptors are safe , but I really don't want to see any team leave.

U scared ... lol

They should contract 4 teams today... ( I mean right now ) I would like to turn on ESPN and this is the breaking news.

And maybe we can have a 72 game season ( I know one has nothing to do with the other) I just want my HEAT to play this year, and win it ALL!

And drug testing should be year round (period)

Cal827
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

lol we won't be on that list... Although we haven't been exactly good over the past few seasons), we still are very profitable, likely one of the 8 teams that would have to pay into revenue sharing (with NY, Miami, LA, Chicago etc). It doesn't make sense cutting profit when the owners are complaining about debts. When we are winning, we are top 5 in profits easy.

New Orleans is likely one. I think the other is out east (to balance the conferences). I'm thinking the Bobcats, since they don't have history like the Bucks or Hawks.

iliketurtles24
11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
drug test should be a given, for every league. also i dont want teams to be contracted, at least not the wolves

Sly Guy
11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm convinced the NBA is very dirty when it comes to PED. Recreationally used drugs, I really couldn't care less about, and PEDs, well, either allow them or test for them.....don't sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I dont want teams to be contracted either, NOR RELOCATED EVER i cant bring me to have anything by HATE for the thunder because in my eyes they will always be the crooks that stole a HISTORIC Franchise, the sonics.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm convinced the NBA is very dirty when it comes to PED. Recreationally used drugs, I really couldn't care less about, and PEDs, well, either allow them or test for them.....don't sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.

Cant allow peds , international rules have them as illegal and the olympic comitee too.