PDA

View Full Version : Owners Vs. Players: my humble perspective

JasonJohnHorn
11-15-2011, 01:47 AM
I had an uncle who owned a moulding factory. They made plastic part for automotive companies. No names needed. Dude made good money, owning the factory an all, but he had to put a lot of money back into the factory. The engineers he paid to do all the technical work, they drove to work in jags and mercedes, and sure, my uncle (who is no longer my uncle due to a divorce, but I digress) drove to work in and oldsmobile. Not a bad car, but bottom line, there were people he needed to run the place. NEEDED!!!! They made more money than him. They wore nicer clothes. They drove nicer cars.

In the NBA its like this. We the fans pay to watch the players. The owners NEED the players, because without them, their aint no fans spending their money. I bought a Jazz t-shirt in highschool, not because I loved the storied history of the NO/UTAH Jazz, but because i fawking LOVED John Stockton. I bought a Celtics cap, partly because of Bill Russell, partly because of Robert Parish (he was my fav member of the Celtics in the 80s). Bottom line, I didn't buy no hat because it had an leprachan on it. I had a phoenix suns jacket, because I LOVED Barkely. LOVED HIM! Same reason I bought a 76ers cap the year before. That phoenix logo was UGLY!!!! You would have had to pay me to wear that $#!T if Chris Dudley was the starting power forward.

I ponied up money to watch the Raptors and the Pistons play their first playoff game ever against each other. Know why? Because Hakeem was in the twilight of his career and I'd never gotten to see him play in person, and because Ben Wallace was my hero (yes, even in my late 20's basketball players are my heroes).

Bottom line. I do not buy tickets, or hats or jackets or jerseys because some rich old white dude I like owns the team. 50-50 split? NOT fair in basketball. It simply is not.

The owners need to huddle, own up to their own mistakes (mistakes that include paying over 300 million to players NOT to play over the last ten years, and also include disgusting contracts given to the likes of Lewis, Arenas and Marbury... of course they take the money.. they aren't stupid), figure out a way to do profit sharing, and give the players the 52% they are asking for-the 52% that equaled nearly a 10% reduction in pay that the players are offering to the owners- and get this fawking season started. Because seriously, if you have enough money to put your air jordan logo on your own private jet (yes Michael, I'm talking to you), then yeah, you can't be complaining about how much your anual income is, because the money you are making as an owner is a disgusting amount of money.

The factory wouldnt run without engineers. So they drove the jag, while my uncle drove the oldsmobile. It is a reality of life. Their ain't no game with out the players, but there still a game without the owners.

ink
11-15-2011, 01:51 AM
It's funny that your post seems to blame the owners and yet by your consumerism you only feed them more and more of your money. Stop buying the damn jerseys and hats! lol.

Some people watch the game and skip the merchandise.

And why do we need to be so starstruck anyway. Do you love the game or not? If you do, you could watch NCAA and get just as much out of it.

I understand what you mean by saying that you appreciate the game through the athletes, but it's a balance between the two.

That's what this whole fiasco needs: balance between the two. Not more blaming and picking sides.

beliges
11-15-2011, 05:01 AM
I had an uncle who owned a moulding factory. They made plastic part for automotive companies. No names needed. Dude made good money, owning the factory an all, but he had to put a lot of money back into the factory. The engineers he paid to do all the technical work, they drove to work in jags and mercedes, and sure, my uncle (who is no longer my uncle due to a divorce, but I digress) drove to work in and oldsmobile. Not a bad car, but bottom line, there were people he needed to run the place. NEEDED!!!! They made more money than him. They wore nicer clothes. They drove nicer cars.

Either your uncle was part of a larger partnership that owned the factory or he was not a very wise businessman.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2011, 05:31 AM
^or he was cheap, i mean my boss has an anual benefit around 1 million euros once he ha spayed taxes our salarys and etc.

yet his car is just a regular 3 series Bmw when he could easily afford whatever he wanted, porshe, jaguar, whatever. but hes just cheap.

koLohe2133
11-15-2011, 05:50 AM
This is what I want to see happen:

The players sit out the entire year...

The owners, use scabs in a shortened season...

Then maybe they will realize that the lebrons, kobes, wades, dirks, pauls, carmelos etc. Are what makes them money...

I really doubt the jammal tinsleys would sell out arenas...

Patman
11-15-2011, 06:04 AM
This is what I want to see happen:

The players sit out the entire year...

The owners, use scabs in a shortened season...

Then maybe they will realize that the lebrons, kobes, wades, dirks, pauls, carmelos etc. Are what makes them money...

I really doubt the jammal tinsleys would sell out arenas...

The Problem is that most of the Owners make their money in other businesses outside the NBA, those will generate revenue even if the NBA season gets cancelled. The players on the other hand loose most of their income, and history shows that many of them can't handle money and will need a pay check in February.....

koLohe2133
11-15-2011, 06:53 AM
The Problem is that most of the Owners make their money in other businesses outside the NBA, those will generate revenue even if the NBA season gets cancelled. The players on the other hand loose most of their income, and history shows that many of them can't handle money and will need a pay check in February.....

Owning a team is a priveledge and the owners need to realize that. They claim they lost $300 million last year? Is it the players fault when everyone seems to agree that basketball is at it's highest in terms of popularity? The players weren't the ones giving bad contracts or mismanaging the allocation of funds to put a competitive team on the floor.

If you cant stand the heat get out the kitchen. Your losing money? Sell your franchise....

I really think it's ridiculous that the players are the only ones negotiating in good faith. I'm proud that they aren't going to bend over and let the owners do what they wanna do...

Where has history shown that players will be hurting for money in February? If I was in their shoes, I would use this time to further my own personal brand or pursue other opportunities that my fame provides me (acting, music, designing, etc.)

Patman
11-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Owning a team is a priveledge and the owners need to realize that. They claim they lost $300 million last year? Is it the players fault when everyone seems to agree that basketball is at it's highest in terms of popularity? The players weren't the ones giving bad contracts or mismanaging the allocation of funds to put a competitive team on the floor.

If you cant stand the heat get out the kitchen. Your losing money? Sell your franchise....

I really think it's ridiculous that the players are the only ones negotiating in good faith. I'm proud that they aren't going to bend over and let the owners do what they wanna do...

Where has history shown that players will be hurting for money in February? If I was in their shoes, I would use this time to further my own personal brand or pursue other opportunities that my fame provides me (acting, music, designing, etc.)

And i can turn that around, it's a privilege to be able to play in the NBA so the Players just should be happy that they're playing in the best League in the world and just shut up.

In the last lockout many players were drained financially after a few missed paycheck. You can check how many NBA Players got in financial trouble after retirement because they couldn't handle the money. For top players the alternative revenue like in shoes etc. is there but the lockout hurts them there to, no Season less interest in them. And the Role players will not land big advertising deals.

Both parties are at fault here, they seem to be on Kindergarten level of Discussion. I hope they realize how much damage this will do to the league (It took them many years after the last lockout to get Attendance and Ratings back up).

imagesrdecievin
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
And i can turn that around, it's a privilege to be able to play in the NBA so the Players just should be happy that they're playing in the best League in the world and just shut up.

In the last lockout many players were drained financially after a few missed paycheck. You can check how many NBA Players got in financial trouble after retirement because they couldn't handle the money. For top players the alternative revenue like in shoes etc. is there but the lockout hurts them there to, no Season less interest in them. And the Role players will not land big advertising deals.

Both parties are at fault here, they seem to be on Kindergarten level of Discussion. I hope they realize how much damage this will do to the league (It took them many years after the last lockout to get Attendance and Ratings back up).

no - really it's a result of years of hard work and training. Why do people pretend like NBA players just won a lottery and get paid for no reason at all.

We all know it takes a lot more than talent to play in the NBA. These guys are in the gym two to three times a day honing their craft, eating specialized diets and making many sacrifices to do what they do.

Before you say "I'd love to do that - I'd do it willingly". Think about how hard you work at being the best at whatever you do. How many hours do you put in to be the best?

There is a very limited number of people in the world that can create a quality product that we come to expect from pro basketball players. Meanwhile there is literally a line of business men looking to purchase a professional sports franchise. It really is the owners that are privileged to own a team.

ink
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Where to start.

Owning a team is a privilege??? Is owning Microsoft or McDonald's also a privilege. Flawed premise there. And sell the franchises? To whom exactly?? To some millionaire who became a millionaire without any financial sense? i.e. the type that would happily buy into a system that loses money? Come on.

The players you admire so much haven't done anything noble here. They're just refusing to allow the owners of the franchises in the league to manage their business in a way that creates a level playing field. They're also making it clear that the league consists of 30 teams. If the players want to play in that league, they can't pretend that the league consists of 6 teams. It's pretty basic. It's business.

Tom Stone
11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Where to start.

Owning a team is a privilege??? Is owning Microsoft or McDonald's also a privilege. Flawed premise there. And sell the franchises? To whom exactly?? To some millionaire who became a millionaire without any financial sense? i.e. the type that would happily buy into a system that loses money? Come on.

The players you admire so much haven't done anything noble here. They're just refusing to allow the owners of the franchises in the league to manage their business in a way that creates a level playing field. They're also making it clear that the league consists of 30 teams. If the players want to play in that league, they can't pretend that the league consists of 6 teams. It's pretty basic. It's business.

nice comment.....

ewing
11-15-2011, 11:28 AM
^or he was cheap, i mean my boss has an anual benefit around 1 million euros once he ha spayed taxes our salarys and etc.

yet his car is just a regular 3 series Bmw when he could easily afford whatever he wanted, porshe, jaguar, whatever. but hes just cheap.

You have a funny defination of cheap.

Shmontaine
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
You have a funny defination of cheap.

he has a funny definition of a lot of things... :D:D

gwrighter
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Where to start.

It comes down to this for me. The players have made their preferences known through media, leaking of info, twitter..the list goes on. Now, the league is trying to implement rules in order to give players incentives to go to or stay with teams that are not of their preference, I don't see the problem here. All teams should be able to sustain faithful players, not just 6 teams.

SluggeR
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I side with the players all day. The thing that both sides are really not recognizing, is once the games start back being played..NO ONE IS GOING TO REMEMBER WHO GOT THE BETTER OF WHO AT THE BARGAINING TABLE. Who got the best of who with the lates collective bargaining agreement in the NFL..or better yet, do you even care?

beliges
11-15-2011, 03:46 PM
I could care less what happens I just want my NBA back but coming from a neutral observer, I think the players are completely in the wrong here.

Chronz
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
And why do we need to be so starstruck anyway. Do you love the game or not? If you do, you could watch NCAA and get just as much out of it.
I love the game but I cant stand watching the NCAA on the regular. I sometimes enjoy foreign/d-league games more than NCAA. Why is that?

Chronz
11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
All teams should be able to sustain faithful players, not just 6 teams.
They already do, this isnt about that.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I love the game but I cant stand watching the NCAA on the regular. I sometimes enjoy foreign/d-league games more than NCAA. Why is that?

Because the level of play is much better?

Only the 3 or 4 best ncaa teams would fare well in euroleague .