PDA

View Full Version : Penny hardaway??????

Rocketsfan85
11-14-2011, 11:27 PM
How good would Penny had been had he not been slowed down by injuries. Me personally he was my favorite player growing up so I think he had potential to be top 5 sg of all time. So PSD what's talks opinion on Penny how good could he had been??????

camador22
11-14-2011, 11:40 PM
How good would Penny had been had he not been slowed down by injuries. Me personally he was my favorite player growing up so I think he had potential to be top 5 sg of all time. So PSD what's talks opinion on Penny how good could he had been??????

Definately not top 5 potential or top 10 for that matter. He was a great SG when that position lacked stars. He was a very good offensive player but limited defensively and wasn't very athletic. T-Mac on the other hand had top 5 SG ever potential but was plaged by injuries as well.

icon1914
11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I think Penny's best days are when he played the point at Orlando.

NY007
11-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Penny was a ******* in my young experience of sort of meeting him. I was sitting court side right next to the Orlando bench against the Nets and he was sitting like a foot away from me. Anyway he was crying about something and flipping out and cursing. Shaq told him "watch the language, you got a bunch of kids right by you. Penny responded "f uck the kids, that's some bs" they got into it. Idk if that was ever on espn or told but now a days it would be all over with the media today.

Not that has anything to do with his playing ability lol

Bishnoff
11-15-2011, 12:10 AM

I agree.

ManningToTyree
11-15-2011, 02:20 AM
He was a unique talent. Perennial all-star potential, but would never have been an all time great

Andrew32
11-15-2011, 04:19 AM
limited defensively and wasn't very athletic.

:facepalm:

He was "extremely" athletic.

Heediot
11-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Definately not top 5 potential or top 10 for that matter. He was a great SG when that position lacked stars. He was a very good offensive player but limited defensively and wasn't very athletic. T-Mac on the other hand had top 5 SG ever potential but was plaged by injuries as well.

Penny was a PG. He would have been a perennial allstar and borderline hof in my opinion. Ray Allen was never the best of the best but he will make the hof. Penny is the same category in that his game wouldn't have been among the best of the best but he would have been effective and consistent.

Chi StateOfMind
11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
i think penny's best days are when he played the point at orlando.

+1

PhillyFaninLA
11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I think Penny was better then Tim Hardaway (with both healthy) and Penny might have been at best all time rank 50 - 75 but more likely 75 - 100.

BklynKnicks3
11-15-2011, 10:20 AM
its amazing how little some people know about basketball. Not top 50 ever if healhy? He was the only player i seen outplay jordan head to head consistently. He would have been a top 15 to 20 player easily. He used to abuse pippen as well. This is a damn Joke there is a reason 15 to 20 players in nba have penny hardwaway as their fav player.

marvILLous
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
its amazing how little some people know about basketball. Not top 50 ever if healhy? He was the only player i seen outplay jordan head to head consistently. He would have been a top 15 to 20 player easily. He used to abuse pippen as well. This is a damn Joke there is a reason 15 to 20 players in nba have penny hardwaway as their fav player.

thisssss

penny was a unique player.. def would have been in the hof if he stayed healthy

sep11ie
11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Why does the first person to post on the thread quote the O.P.?

Rocketsfan85
11-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Yep I agree!!!

JordansBulls
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM

WTF are you talking about, he wasn't even an SG he was the PG for the Magic while Nick Anderson was the SG. Dude was skilled as hell, Jordan nor Pippen could check him.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
I always thought Penny was a PG :confused:

mjt20mik
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I always thought Penny was a PG :confused:

That's cause he was. :)

bbcmillionaire
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Man I remember loving penny hardaway when he had that lil sidekick On the commercial lil penny who was voiced by Chris rock, man penny was my dude besides all the bulls players as a 7 year old

Chronz
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM

I agree.
I think the world is united on that front.

Its debatable if that would have been his best position long term

WTF are you talking about, he wasn't even an SG he was the PG for the Magic while Nick Anderson was the SG. Dude was skilled as hell, Jordan nor Pippen could check him.
I dont know exactly what hes talking about with regards to his athleticism
because Penny was a freak to me, (BTW MJ once quipped Penny was relying solely on athleticism, why would he say that about such a skilled player?), but Im guessing he feels the same as I do about Penny's natural position.

He would have spent the majority of his career at the 2, its true he eventually took the position away from Scott Skiles but that was partly due to the fact that they boasted a trio of impressive big swings and it was counter intuitive to not play them together. That Penny had the passing ability and quickness he did made him plenty passable as a PG (on both ends) but as you age players that size dont defend smaller quicker players as well, on top of that, he was never THAT great a passer, his efficiency wasnt that impressive. Its like Kobe/Tmac/Bron, they may be elite for their position but compared to actual PG's, they fall well short. Their primary function were as scorers.

Thats the boat Penny was in, he was a better passer than those guys but he was most impressive as a scorer, particularly in the post and off the PnR. If Penny had not rushed his recovery I could have seen his career at least unfolding the way Tmac's did after injury and settling into a Point-Forward role.

Had injuries never occurred to begin with AND that 95-96 season was a sign of things to come, then hes definitely Top10 potential, Top5 is hard to argue because most of the players who currently reside in that realm displayed an even greater level of play at that young age in their careers and lots of players have started off hot only to fizzle out.

Chronz
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM

So what was Scott Skiles?

Hangtime
11-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Does anyone remember the 97 playoffs when Orlando down 0-2 to Miami staged a comeback to tie that series in the post Shaq era? That performance Penny put on in games 3,4 and 5 was without a doubt one of the greatest playoff performances I had ever saw. If that was any indication of what he was capable of then the potential was there.

But thats the problem. Penny had the potential, the talent, and was difficult for anyone to guard. At times Penny just seemed as if he didn't care. Lacked the heart, intensity leadership,and desire to play to that level on a consistent basis even before the knee was wrecked. If he really wanted to, he could have been a first ballot HOF barring the injuries.

It's scary how good he would have been had he stayed mentally focused. Otherwise, had he never gotten hurt I don't think he would have cared long enough to be an all time great. He just didn't seem to have it in him.

MJ-BULLS
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Penny was a ******* in my young experience of sort of meeting him. I was sitting court side right next to the Orlando bench against the Nets and he was sitting like a foot away from me. Anyway he was crying about something and flipping out and cursing. Shaq told him "watch the language, you got a bunch of kids right by you. Penny responded "f uck the kids, that's some bs" they got into it. Idk if that was ever on espn or told but now a days it would be all over with the media today.

Not that has anything to do with his playing ability lol

wow thats not cool.

anyways, his best days were with orlando. i even still have his jersey in perfect condition when i was a kid. never really wore it lol.

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

He would have been awesome

Captain Moroni
11-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Man I remember loving penny hardaway when he had that lil sidekick On the commercial lil penny who was voiced by Chris rock, man penny was my dude besides all the bulls players as a 7 year old

Didn't spike lee come up with that idea

The goods
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Didn't he have a little puppet? Man I was sooo young,I remember him and the puppet and that guy that would dress up like a grandma lol that was funny stuff back in the day. I was watching the old orlando magic play the bulls on NBA t.v. penny had a nice game to him.

iggypop123
11-15-2011, 10:16 PM
^ lil penny.
penny was a pg and very good. in 2k he rapes derek harper when i was trying to do the legend challenge. i basically had to isolate ewing every play.

YungDaSensai
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Penny was a beast. This reminds me how the Magic were tough as hell on NBA Jams, Penny and Nick were lethal on that game lol

Evolution23
11-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Penny was one of my fav players and he would've been a top 25 player today just like Grant Hill if it wasn't for injuries.

D Roses Bulls
11-16-2011, 02:17 AM

he played pg mot of the time and are you kidding me on not being athletic? did you really watch the guy or are you just acting like you did?

D Roses Bulls
11-16-2011, 02:19 AM
penny was definitely top 5-7 in the league at the time when he wasn't injured. the guy was awesome. he was my second favorite player behind MJ back in the day. he was real good.

eugene
11-16-2011, 03:11 AM
There are few players I always remember during the '90 and early '00 era which would have been HOFs for sure if stayed healthy all the time. Penny, Zo, Grant Hill, T-Mac and maybe Kemp with all his off court issues...

jackytie
11-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Good playershttp://www.genima.info/g.php

BklynKnicks3
11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
penny was definitely top 5-7 in the league at the time when he wasn't injured. the guy was awesome. he was my second favorite player behind MJ back in the day. he was real good.

5-7 lmao. He was the best player in NBA according to many for a 3 year span. there was 3 or 4 magazines that had penny on the cover with the best player in the NBA next to it. When shaq got hurt for 30 games penny avg was 27 7 6. He finished 3rd in MVP. Magic had the best record in NBA during that span.

BklynKnicks3
11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
For the record penny used to torch Grant Hill . No1 ever got the best of penny when healthy he gave kobe 30 a few times to. Penny is a legend. Lebron,Tmac,Gilbert,Jamal Crawford,Baron Davis many many more idolized penny and tried to mimic him. Gilbert has a penny shrine in his house. if u are less then 25 u shouldnt speak about penny because u just going of numbers and word of mouth

BklynKnicks3
11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Even when chicago swept Orlando Penny outplayed Mike. He was a damn nightmare. that series bulls bench went crazy.

Gibby23
11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Penny and Grant Hill were on their way to being the new young faces of the NBA but they both got hurt.

D Roses Bulls
11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
5-7 lmao. He was the best player in NBA according to many for a 3 year span. there was 3 or 4 magazines that had penny on the cover with the best player in the NBA next to it. When shaq got hurt for 30 games penny avg was 27 7 6. He finished 3rd in MVP. Magic had the best record in NBA during that span.

That doesn't mean anything. he was never the best player in the NBA when Jordan was playing. I would argue that Pippen might have been the bet player in the league in 94-95 and if not him then it was definitely Hakeem for the two seasons Jordan wasn't playing. Also, what about Grant Hill or even Shaq then. that guy was a monster back in the day. Look, I loved Penny, as I aid, he was my second favorite player, an Ill give him top 3, but he was not the best player in the game because a magazine said so. The nets back in the day with Van Horn,kittles, cassel, and Williams was considered the team of the future by Slam,SI, ESPN. how well did that turn out?

BklynKnicks3
11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
The nets where just potential Penny did his work it was just cut early due to injuries. Big diffrence He used to torch grant hill and pippen. Unlike Pippen he was clutch hit 5 game winners in 1 year

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Penny was never close to the best player in the NBA. MJ and Hakeem were always better and maybe even DRob.

Corey
11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Penny was never close to the best player in the NBA. MJ and Hakeem were always better and maybe even DRob.
You just named 2 (maybe 3) players. Top 4 isnt close to the best player?

BklynKnicks3
11-16-2011, 03:38 PM

my point exactly he was 3rd in mvp and would have won it if shaq didnt come back from injury

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Not when the other guys are clearly superior. It's one thing to be top 3-4 where all the players have a case, it is another to be in the top 3-4 and you don't have a case at all over the top 2 guys who not only had better numbers, but were more accomplished as well.

JordansBulls
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
my point exactly he was 3rd in mvp and would have won it if shaq didnt come back from injury

He had no shot to MVP unless Orlando won 70 games.