PDA

View Full Version : what happens to players contracts?

spurs4#5
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
since they will be decertifying and stern said that all contracts will be voided, does this mean everyone is a free agent?

beasted86
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
The league has to go through litigation to try and get all contracts voided. It's not an automatic result of decertification of the union.

Wade>You
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
since they will be decertifying and stern said that all contracts will be voided, does this mean everyone is a free agent?That'd be great. I can see the players would all screw the hardline franchises owners over. Those teams will eventually form the NBA's new D-league. And you guys thought the good owners were hoarding all the talent? You ain't seen nothing yet. I can see a scenario where good players take pay cuts to go to play for the good owners.

Tony_Starks
11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah Stern claims all contracts will be voided but there's no way he'll follow through on that. If all the superstars became free agents he would probably get assassinated by one of the owners. The stars on teams that singlehandedly screwed off the season would just flip them the bird and bounce.....

spurs4#5
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
i actually think it would be kinda cool to void all contracts and put all current and upcoming draft players into one huge draft and start the nba completely over

kblo247
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah Stern claims all contracts will be voided but there's no way he'll follow through on that. If all the superstars became free agents he would probably get assassinated by one of the owners. The stars on teams that singlehandedly screwed off the season would just flip them the bird and bounce.....

Buss has 3 billion contengient on a video library to Kobe's greatest games as well as the Lakers with Time Warner. He is going to have to slap a ***** as would Cuban.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
That'd be great. I can see the players would all screw the hardline franchises owners over. Those teams will eventually form the NBA's new D-league. And you guys thought the good owners were hoarding all the talent? You ain't seen nothing yet. I can see a scenario where good players take pay cuts to go to play for the good owners.

false

Player A: "How much will the Bulls give me?"
Agent: "$6 million, but the Bucks will give you $9"
Player A: "Tell the Bucks I will report"

They won't void all the contracts anyways, its simply a Stern threat.

kblo247
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
i actually think it would be kinda cool to void all contracts and put all current and upcoming draft players into one huge draft and start the nba completely over

With no CBA it would be a free market, no draft. And it wouldn't be cool for guys like Kobe and T, who spent their whole careers in one place building their legacies if an idiot like Jordan picked them to make money off them and not actually compete

spurs4#5
11-14-2011, 05:25 PM
With no CBA it would be a free market, no draft. And it wouldn't be cool for guys like Kobe and T, who spent their whole careers in one place building their legacies if an idiot like Jordan picked them to make money off them and not actually compete

i know it would be a free market and there would be no draft...i said it would be kinda cool to put all players into a draft and start the nba

still a fan
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Till this actually happens right now they belong to their respective teams.

Once this goes to court they do not belong to any union, hence all contracts are null and void.

So if you have optimism this is a good thing, it really isn't, this will make the process take that much longer.

What then will be the solution is in the courts hands, is that truly where the players, owners and fans want it?

Bottom line is we the fans pay for everything about the NBA, including the players earnings and what profits the owners bring in.

I'm upset becuase the two sides brought in a mediator who said and did all the right things and got ignored by both sides for different reasons.

This should have and could have been rectified, Stern is now taking advantage of a situation and his stance was ugly, the players blew this by taking the hard line course back in July and wanting 53.5 % and now settle for 50% when that now is the least of their problems.

The luxury tax Stern is trying to put in, is in fact a hard cap because not one owner is dumb enough, yes including Dolan to spend 49MIL to be just 15MIL over the cap.

so if thats not a hard cap ask yourself what is?

Bottom line is the fans should all get together, not buy a single NBA item, and say the 50/50 split is good but the luxury tax penalties need to be lowered, the age of 20 to be an NBA player is simply not right, fair and is ridiculous.

Why not tell a talented 18 yr old who is a computer genious he can't work till he's 20?

I can live with the one yr of college but 20 is carrying it way to far, usually thats a soph or junior in college.

this from an NBA that became relevant again for signing high school players such as one Lebron James.

This can be fixed but it has to happen before it goes to court.

If it goes to court then its open market on FA's.

My question is if the union doesn't exist, salaries don't exist, then the draft pick trades of the past should not exist and each team should start at ground zero.

As a Knick fan I love that because we gave some firsts away lol

Ezio
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Rose would sign with the Lakers :sad2:

Wade>You
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
false

They won't void all the contracts anyways, its simply a Stern threat.If money is the ultimate factor, the players would've caved in, right?

LeBron and Bosh would've taken the extra money to stay in Cleveland and Toronto, right?

Maybe Rashard Lewis will take that $9mil to play for the Bucks over the Bulls, but not any of next generation of players. I think it's proven that there's quite a few guys that take pay cuts to win.

The only thing you're right about is that Stern isn't so stupid as to void all contracts and watch players form their own teams.

dtmagnet
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
If money is the ultimate factor, the players would've caved in, right?

LeBron and Bosh would've taken the extra money to stay in Cleveland and Toronto, right?

Maybe Rashard Lewis will take that $9mil to play for the Bucks over the Bulls, but not any of next generation of players. I think it's proven that there's quite a few guys that take pay cuts to win.

The only thing you're right about is that Stern isn't so stupid as to void all contracts and watch players form their own teams.

It would not be possible, in a situation where all contracts are voided there would most likely be a hard cap. If you think players aren't all about the money you're delusional. BTW Bosh and Lebron took what, 14 million less? Wow they get paid 116 million instead of 130 million what a horrible hit to their pocket books.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
If money is the ultimate factor, the players would've caved in, right?

5% of the league would indeed have the ability to hold it against whomever they want. They do now. But money talks man. Sorry. Its a business, and players and owners understand that.

Should Milwaukee not go after any player who said, "Stay united!"? No, they will.

Tony_Starks
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
false

They won't void all the contracts anyways, its simply a Stern threat.

Yeah the players are all greedy money grubbers who will take money from the highest bidder that offers it. Thats why they took a deal they didn't like today so they won't miss their precious paychecks........

Arch Stanton
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Bring on the replacement players.

JWO35
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I sure GMs will be studying their NBA 2k12 Association Fantasy Draft...

Dade County
11-14-2011, 06:45 PM

As long as the HEAT keep their Big 3, I don't give a ****... Some of these teams need better GM's.

Sinestro
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM

:laugh2:

Captain Moroni
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM

lol

Captain Moroni
11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
As long as the HEAT keep their Big 3, I don't give a ****... Some of these teams need better GM's.

how nice for you!

PhillyFaninLA
11-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I suspect this would have to go to court. You can't legally void a contract without a violation of a specific term in a contract (which desertification would not be) or a clause saying only valid with active players union or something to that affect.

I don't see how a legal document can be voided that easily.