PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if the NBA increases the length of games?

5ass
11-14-2011, 04:07 AM
I know its a crazy idea just hear me out...
instead of 12 minute quarters, make them 15 minute quarters, ofcourse you would maybe have to adjust allowed number of T.O. and team fouls

It would be harder for star players to dominate, theres no way they can go out there for 45+ minutes a game every game (especially if they have to watch out for foul trouble with just 6 p.f).. so maybe that will help restore competitive balance? maybe make the roster deeper through the minimum 15 man rotation (instead of 12).. lower the max salaries, but let the role palyers earn more money.. also maybe make a 3rd round in the draft if necessary? to draft players on low salaries if need be..

it seems to me that it could benefit the players, the owners and the fans..

-the owners bcz they would likely be making a bit more money (longer airtime + commercial time) + maintains a (slightly) better way of competitive balance

-since the salaries of role players will increase, and we all know that the majority of players are not superstars with a max contract (a few exceptions here ofcourse) then the MAJORITY of the players will be all for it, especially if they care about they younger kids getting a chance to shine in the NBA.. and hey isnt that what Derek Fisher and a lot of players are supposedly fighting for? a better tomorrow for future players?

-the fans get to watch more of NBA games

Again I know its a crazy idea, but i couldn't find a reason why its a bad one..

hgtiger32
11-14-2011, 04:30 AM
they are having enough of a problem agreeing on percents in the 50-52 range so I think that extending the game essentially another quarter would be a bad idea.

5ass
11-14-2011, 04:34 AM
in what way though? every1 is benefiting

PrettyBoyJ
11-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Gotta think of the mileage its gonna take on the players sure younger players will be able to endure it at first but once playoff time comes players are gonna be on their last legs and won't compete at a high level.. also think about risking more injury and ultimately players having shorter careers..

5ass
11-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Gotta think of the mileage its gonna take on the players sure younger players will be able to endure it at first but once playoff time comes players are gonna be on their last legs and won't compete at a high level.. also think about risking more injury and ultimately players having shorter careers..

like i said, i dont think even star players would be playing 40+ minutes a night so nothing changes in that regard

PrettyBoyJ
11-14-2011, 05:07 AM
like i said, i dont think even star players would be playing 40+ minutes a night so nothing changes in that regard

If I'm coach I wouldn't want my star player playing 40+ min a night think of the toll it would do to their body I know they're world class athletes but they are still human your body is going to give out playing 40+ min a game for 82 games plus playoffs.. If you look around the league they try and reduce players min for that same reason.

5ass
11-14-2011, 05:10 AM
If I'm coach I wouldn't want my star player playing 40+ min a night think of the toll it would do to their body I know they're world class athletes but they are still human your body is going to give out playing 40+ min a game for 82 games plus playoffs.. If you look around the league they try and reduce players min for that same reason.

man, r u reading what im writing? they're not supposed to be playing 40+ a night

NYKalltheway
11-14-2011, 06:21 AM
they should actually reduce games to 10 minute quarters, more interesting that way and less stats padding...

5ass
11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
they should actually reduce games to 10 minute quarters, more interesting that way and less stats padding...

maybe euroleague should increase their games to 12 a quarter ;) lol caught ur location..
reducing games will not solve any of the issues i mentioned, if anything they'll make it worse

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
horrible idea

close thread

5ass
11-14-2011, 07:15 AM
horrible idea

close thread

heres some advice for you.. grow up
its a discussion forum, dont wanna discuss click that little box with "X" on the upper left hand side of ur browser to close

gwrighter
11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
i don't think it will work. The NBA wants to make money, increasing the length of games would mean that the NBA players would have to be paid more. Unless they decrease the # of games played, which would make the owners lose money because of a lesser # of games. we don't want to overwork our players, if anything we want to extend the longevity of their careers.

NetsPaint
11-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Those players getting more time off the bench might start whining about money and we might go through this again. I dunno.

12 minutes a quarter is a nice tradition. I only have a problem with the lack of enforcement of rules and bad calls.

btw, what's the most amount of bacon players should be eating?

Hawkeye15
11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Rudy Fernandez endorses this idea.

barreleffact
11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Wasn't it 15 minute quarters waaay back in the Wilt days? His mpg were astronomical. They changed it for a reason, and it should stay that way IMO. Perhaps moving to 40 min games would be better since it would be less dry spells in the games.

koreancabbage
11-14-2011, 09:04 PM
i would love this idea- more burn for the bench. We don't see enough of the bench players and they paid just sitting there at the end. I would justify it if the game's time limit allowed more burn for bench players overall.

and it also allows coaches to work their bench and see who really is a good coach. Letting the stars basically play the whole game is almost laughable. as a league, the NBA sucks. needs so much fixing its not even funny.