PDA

View Full Version : AI Wants in on the Celtics... Good Deal or Good Riddance?

Tony_Starks
11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
His agent is putting it out there that he would really like a chance to end his career in Boston trying to help them with what may be their last championship push. Most teams I think would just blow him off at this point but with Doc I don't know. He's a real players coach and seems like just a stand up guy so I could see him asking Ainge to take a flyer on him. He's dealt with personalities like KG, Sheed, and Shaq so I don't think its much of a risk.

Question is would you like to see him end his career on a high note contributing to a contender? As much as I hate Boston I would love to see him go there and do well. He did a lot for the league and I hate for his last images in the nba to be tainted like that......

Cal827
11-13-2011, 11:05 PM
KG vs AI... I wouldn't touch that with a 40 foot pole.

Bad for Boston, he'll take the ball away from Rondo too much. Allen is great in the system since he's usually a spot up shooter..

Tony_Starks
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't know about that. Keep in mind he would be coming off the bench. He's very capable of coming in there and doing what Nate Robinson was doing except way better. Plus he can still pass the ball, when he played with Melo he was putting up nice assist numbers....

Team*Chicago
11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
If I was a true Celtics fan the answer would most definitely be a hell no. A.I already ruined the Pistons that was once championship contending team why would the Celtics let A.I do the samething with the Celtics like he did with the Pistons.

Giraffes Rule
11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
No.

sixer04fan
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
As a Sixers fan it would break my heart if he went to the Celtics

smith&wesson
11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
i think he would be great for them as a 6th man. rondo can get quality rest before imporant games and the playoff push. in the playoffs he could be scoring threat of the bench. the veterans on that team demand the same respect that iverson does and i think he understands that. i think it would be a good fit for him because for the first time he seems like he is willing to CONTRIBUTE to a team and not be the focal point.

Tony_Starks
11-13-2011, 11:27 PM
If I was a true Celtics fan the answer would most definitely be a hell no. A.I already ruined the Pistons that was once championship contending team why would the Celtics let A.I do the samething with the Celtics like he did with the Pistons.

Thats not even a close comparison. First off trading the pg that knew how to get Rip the rock and basically turned him into an allstar was extremely dumb. Chauncey should've retired a Piston. Secondly the Pistons weren't contenders anymore. Thirdly after they made that huge trade they proceeded to bench him for Stuckey. Stuckey? Rodney freakin Stuckey? Never! That was just one big huge cluster F from start to finish, including having a horrible coach to boot.

Boston is a totally different situation. Respected coach. Team full of vets. He'll know his position before he ever steps on the floor, just like Shaq.

smith&wesson
11-13-2011, 11:29 PM

joe dumars did that. why would you trade a true pg and replace him with a player that is a sg at heart ? he was trying to sell seats not retool a contender.

iverson never agreed to come off the bench in detroit. it was a bad fit and a chemistry issue waiting to happen. there were simply too many scoring wings on that team.

i loved him as 76er in his prime. but after denver he never acepted the fact that he needs to play in a role on a contender. now that he is accepting the concept i think he can contribute as long as his skills havent tarnished. he is getting older. but boston is an older team and full of stars from his era who are playing with in roles as a team. he wants to go to boston with that in mind for sure. you dont go on a team with pierce, allen, kg, & rondo comanding to be "the guy" when your making a come back to the nba.

LA_Raiders
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
He is done.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole but I could see guys like KG and pierce pushing for it.

Cash
11-14-2011, 12:07 AM
If KG and Pierce push for it, it will happen. Besides big men, I always thought Boston need that PG/SG that could spell Rondo or Allen. Not sure what he has left, but it could work.

bagwell368
11-14-2011, 12:09 AM
He has 1 good year in the last 4. He's a massive defensive liability. He's not worth it, and talk about a team wrecker.

NFW

CMIII
11-14-2011, 12:11 AM
No thank you.

29$JerZ
11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
He should just retire
His possible contributions don't warrant a roster spot IMO

5ass
11-14-2011, 12:14 AM
joe dumars did that. why would you trade a true pg and replace him with a player that is a sg at heart ? he was trying to sell seats not retool a contender.

iverson never agreed to come off the bench in detroit. it was a bad fit and a chemistry issue waiting to happen. there were simply too many scoring wings on that team.

i loved him as 76er in his prime. but after denver he never acepted the fact that he needs to play in a role on a contender. now that he is accepting the concept i think he can contribute as long as his skills havent tarnished. he is getting older. but boston is an older team and full of stars from his era who are playing with in roles as a team. he wants to go to boston with that in mind for sure. you dont go on a team with pierce, allen, kg, & rondo comanding to be "the guy" when your making a come back to the nba.

did u just call billups a true pg? thats not true..
other than that i agree with ur post, celtics is a good fit for AI if he can come in and do the things they want him to do without complaining too much.. i think the whole going back to philly then going to turkey experience humbled him a bit.. good for both teams IMO, especially since its most likely he'll be playing for the vet minimum.. there are too many AI haters on PSD man, but its mostly kids trying to be funny, AI still has the talent and the jumper, he wasnt all speed like ppl make him out to be..
oh and ppl are stupid if they dont think Rondo is a bigger headcase than modern day AI, but Pierce, Garnett, Allen and Rivers all keep him in check

Westbrook36
11-14-2011, 12:32 AM
If they did take a chance on him, it might end up being worth it. The first sign or actual movement of him stepping out of line, they'd simply have the ability to cut him the next day.

JLynn943
11-14-2011, 12:33 AM
As someone whose role is to step in every now and then to provide a spark off the bench, I don't see why they wouldn't. His defensive liability is easily offset by the rest of the team's defense. As long as his game hasn't totally diminished, he'd bring explosive scoring to a team that could use it at times.

Tony_Starks
11-14-2011, 01:32 AM
As someone whose role is to step in every now and then to provide a spark off the bench, I don't see why they wouldn't. His defensive liability is easily offset by the rest of the team's defense. As long as his game hasn't totally diminished, he'd bring explosive scoring to a team that could use it at times.

Thats how I feel man all you're asking is for him to come off the bench and sustain the second unit, he's more than capable of that. I'd take AI now over any backup pg you could name any day of the week......

Hustlenomics
11-14-2011, 01:35 AM
as a Celtic fan hell yea, they've go on too many scoring droughts he can help

samevans7
11-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Sure, I'd be fine with Andre Iguodala in Boston.... lol

YoungOne
11-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I would give it a shot

ink
11-14-2011, 02:53 AM
He is done.

This.

Hellcrooner
11-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Celtics + Ai.

Yes please, thats like a godsend gift for never ending jokes :D

CityofChaos
11-14-2011, 04:23 AM
NO. The Celtics have had there fair share of washed up vets joining their team and there is no reason to add another especially a guy who *****ed and moaned about coming off the bench w/ his previous teams.

ink
11-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Is AI in any position to choose?

The chances of seeing him in the NBA again are slim to none.

MTar786
11-14-2011, 05:07 AM
hes not right for boston. either way.. he's trash now. a decent 8th man or leading 2nd team scorer

AI
11-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Please let this be true, I'm dying to see AI back in the NBA.

abe_froman
11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
i can see him going there,but i dont think it'll help them and doubt he lasts a full season there

mdm692
11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
If they can get ai and a descent center boston would be lookin good

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Worth a shot. Worst case scenario, he gets few minutes, complains, and get waived. Best case scenario, he manages to win a couple games for them in the post season. What would likely happen is he'd do exactly what Marbury did in the Boston green. Not much.

Tom Stone
11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I want to see AI back in the league....he meant a lot to our game...and he should have not gone out the way he did.......It's good to see he has humbled.....some of the best inspiration is born of desperation.

ShakeN'Bake
11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Im not sure if this would be a good move. He should probably just stay retired.

Gators123
11-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure why people think he would still be good offensively.

GodsSon
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
lol how is this guy still even relevant?

NetsPaint
11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
People in this thread clearly haven't seen him play in his last run Philadelphia and in Turkey. He's far from being just athleticism. LOL Who else are you gonna get for a back-up and for the Playoffs that's better? Nobody.

People throw around the "he's done" line like crazy. You hate him, that's it. You don't watch games.

xbrackattackx
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Call me crazy but for A Min. Value contract. I think its worth the risk. I think doc is the kinda coach he would excel under.

mrblisterdundee
11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
If he'll come off the bench, then sign him. I don't care what anybody says about his personality issues. He can run the point and score when needed just off the bench at this point.

Tony_Starks
11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
People in this thread clearly haven't seen him play in his last run Philadelphia and in Turkey. He's far from being just athleticism. LOL Who else are you gonna get for a back-up and for the Playoffs that's better? Nobody.

People throw around the "he's done" line like crazy. You hate him, that's it. You don't watch games.

AI is a popular target of hate on psd. He's up there with Derrick Rose. I can't tell you how many "AI is overrated" threads I've had the misfortune of witnessing on here.......

Fly
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Nope. Locker room cancer, not what the Celtics need.

Hustlenomics
11-14-2011, 07:18 PM
^ they had rasheed wallace,shaq,marbury,delonte, and nate robinson. He isn't worse than them personality wise