PDA

View Full Version : Details of latest offer by league

daleja424
11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Presented to union on Nov. 10:
A 50-50 split of basketball-related income (BRI), either straight or in a 49-to-51 "band" adjusted for growth figures.
A mid-level exception for non-taxpaying teams with a starting salary of up to $5 million in contracts up to four years in length.
A MLE for tax-paying teams starting at $3 million with a maximum length of three years, available every year.
A new "room" exception for all teams below the salary cap starting at $2.5 million for up to two years.
Sign-and-trade deals available to all teams, including -- in Years 1 and 2 of the CBA -- taxpaying teams.
Maximum annual raises of 6.5 percent for "Bird" free agents (players re-signed by their current teams) and 3.5 percent for others.
Minimum payroll requirement -- known as "the floor" -- of 85 percent of the salary cap in Years 1 and 2, increasing to 90 percent thereafter.
An allowance for teams whose use of the full MLE would put them over the luxury-tax threshold. They would be permitted to conform by reducing payroll by an Oct. 15 deadline, either through trades or the "stretch" provision in which a player would be cut, with his remaining salary spread out over a longer period of time (two times the years remaining on his deal, plus one). This lower salary figure could enable the team to get down below the tax.
A mutual opt-out clause in the new CBA after 6 years, conforming to NBPA preference.
* Other provisions in the new offer -- relating to escrow money (10 percent, up from 8), stiffened luxury-tax penalties, a 12 percent drop in rookie and minimum-salary scales (to accommodate 12 percent drop in BRI share from 57 percent), the limiting of bi-annual exceptions to non-taxpaying teams, a 6-month buffer on extend-and-trade deals and other items -- remain essentially unchanged from the previous proposal.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/12/fact-box/index.html

Given this information... it is time for the players to take the deal. The league didn't give them everything they wanted, but they certainly made a move towards their position and this is now a fair deal. I really hope that the players actually look at the deal...and don't simply vote how their agent or the union tells them to, b/c this deal looks good enough IMO.

Chacarron
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I really hope the players take this deal. They will not get a better one from the owners.

YoungOne
11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
why do non-taxpaying teams need the MLE??

Badluck33
11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/12/fact-box/index.html

Given this information... it is time for the players to take the deal. The league didn't give them everything they wanted, but they certainly made a move towards their position and this is now a fair deal. I really hope that the players actually look at the deal...and don't simply vote how their agent or the union tells them to, b/c this deal looks good enough IMO.

I'm surprised that you think its a fair deal and not demanding one where the NBA has to collapse because they forfeited too much to the players.

btw....David Stern hates white people!

Cal827
11-13-2011, 04:13 PM
This is the absolute best that they are gonna get from here on in. If the players reject this, then we can blame the players for this lockout, and I'll lose sympathy for them.

daleja424
11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I think you mean teams under the cap? (remember that the cap and tax threshold are differen concepts)

If you are over the cap (and under the tax) you need the MLE to sign FAs

If you are under the cap... you get a mini exception so you can come up to the cap and then exceed it slightly. In the past you either had cap space or the MLE. Now they are throwing a bone to teams with cap space...they get a mini MLE.

In summary:
Under the cap- mini MLE
over the cap, under the tax- full MLE
Over the tax- mini MLE

Badluck33
11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
players should accept this and I think if the players have the chance to vote on it that they will pass it.

daleja424
11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm surprised that you think its a fair deal and not demanding one where the NBA has to collapse because they forfeited too much to the players.

btw....David Stern hates white people!

All I was looking for was for the league to negotiate a little bit and offer the players some semblance of a fair deal... and I think they have now.

ManningToTyree
11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
They should take this. Not going to get a better offer imo

YoungOne
11-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I think you mean teams under the cap? (remember that the cap and tax threshold are differen concepts)

If you are over the cap (and under the tax) you need the MLE to sign FAs

If you are under the cap... you get a mini exception so you can come up to the cap and then exceed it slightly. In the past you either had cap space or the MLE. Now they are throwing a bone to teams with cap space...they get a mini MLE.

In summary:
Under the cap- mini MLE
over the cap, under the tax- full MLE
Over the tax- mini MLE

yeah forgot that, thank you :)

dhopisthename
11-13-2011, 04:24 PM
if the players don't take this the offers will only get worse and we will likely be looking at a lost season which would mean a ton more money then they could hope to get from decertifying

daleja424
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
hopefully... these guys actually sit down with an open mind and think about this.

GodsSon
11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I just really hope they don't agree to the age restriction in the draft being 20. That would be such ****ing ********.

Aside from that, it seems fairly reasonable and I think it's time to end this thing.

daleja424
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
also... the 12% cut of min and rookie deals makes sense. If they are cutting the players total share by 12% you end up cutting all new constrained contracts the same (min deals, max deals, MLE deals, rookie deals, etc). That should not be a problem IMO.

airronijordan
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I also think the players should take this deal

I was pro-players until i read about the revised proposal over the weekend....seems like the owners did make some concessions that favor the players compared to the original offer

I do think that the players made more concessions than the owners, however this is the best deal the players will ever get unless they decertify and the court rules in favor of the players

Badluck33
11-13-2011, 04:54 PM
also... the 12% cut of min and rookie deals makes sense. If they are cutting the players total share by 12% you end up cutting all new constrained contracts the same (min deals, max deals, MLE deals, rookie deals, etc). That should not be a problem IMO.

Nazr Mohammed would not agree with you and would probably tell you to F*K off.

daleja424
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
well screw Nazr Mohammed... He didnt even seem to have read the deal when he was spouting his mouth all over twitter...

If the players are taking 12% cut... then the new deals are going to be 12% smaller...

gotoHcarolina52
11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
This actually is quite a decent deal. If they don't take it, my ire will be directed squarely at the players, their agents and their representatives (that means you, Billy Hunter).

Badluck33
11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
well screw Nazr Mohammed... He didnt even seem to have read the deal when he was spouting his mouth all over twitter...

If the players are taking 12% cut... then the new deals are going to be 12% smaller...

Nazr Mohammed probably thinks you have an attitude problem.

mdm692
11-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I just really hope they don't agree to the age restriction in the draft being 20. That would be such ****ing ********.

Aside from that, it seems fairly reasonable and I think it's time to end this thing.

how is that bs if it goes up to 20 basketball player might actually be educated and learn how to play true team basketball. Polish your skills in college for 2-3 years

GodsSon
11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
how is that bs if it goes up to 20 basketball player might actually be educated and learn how to play true team basketball. Polish your skills in college for 2-3 years

Because this would mark the 3rd time in our history that we get ****ed in the draft.

1996...we won the lottery but due to "expansion rules" were prohibited from picking first and thus got the second pick...AI to Philly

2006...Prior to the year they changed the rules that made it mandatory for highschoolers to attend college. We won the lottery again and missed out on Oden and Durant because of the new age restriction.

2012...One of the deepest drafts ever and had been compared to the 2003 and 1996 draft, in a year where we would surely suck and likely have another top 5 pick. Suddenly the age limit changes and removes all the stud freshman from entering.

It's ****ing BS

TheRomanGod
11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
whats the latest news from the NBPA? are they going to accept or no?

Hellcrooner
11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Sign-and-trade deals available to all teams, including -- in Years 1 and 2 of the CBA -- taxpaying teams.

Remove this **** for the whole period of time ( not only first two years).

Then they can accept the deal.

AndyfromNeptune
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Isn't age restrictions a "B" item that they were still negotiating?

Perhaps it isn't part of the initial proposal.

But I dont know. Maybe one of you guys know better than me.

GodsSon
11-13-2011, 06:39 PM

From what I read, it wasn't a "take-it or leave-it" item. I'm hoping the players push for the limit to be the same as before.

The goods
11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Idk I like and think its fair but hunter and fisher hate it but hopefully a vote will get this done

The goods
11-13-2011, 07:11 PM
whats the latest news from the NBPA? are they going to accept or no?

The players union aren't having a meeting with the players till Monday which I didn't understand,I mean shouldn't they want a deal done as soon as possible?

mzgrizz
11-13-2011, 07:33 PM
This all looks like a game winner to me and no side has lost face. TAKE THE DEAL !!!!!!!!!!!! and let's get on with our normal NBA basketball world......

beasted86
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
A big detail excluded is raises per year. Players previously earned 10.5% and 8%. Billy Hunter said Stern offered 5.5% and 3%.

Overall, I still don't see the movement that would change the players' minds.

daleja424
11-13-2011, 07:48 PM

You are correct. the age limit is a B list issue and is not part of the take-it-or-leave-it. The take it or leave it is only based on the core 6-7 system issues + the bRI split.

HuRRiCaNeS324
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
So how is this a hard cap in disguise? I've heard its as close as a hard cap as you can get....

beasted86
11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
So how is this a hard cap in disguise? I've heard its as close as a hard cap as you can get....

Although the title says "details", it's really only a list of general aspects.

Things like "stiffened luxury-tax penalties" don't really tell us anything about what the luxury tax penalties are. There also is no mention of player raises (which could be as low as 3% based on previous proposals), contract lengths (which could be as short as 3 years based on previous proposals) though it does clearly tell us there is no bi-annual for tax teams, and half a mid-level for tax teams.

Team overall salary cannot grow exponentially unless there is a team like the Thunder who extends Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Maynor, and others all to new contracts. Teams that have a majority of veterans on non-rookie contracts cannot grow their payroll at a high rate even if they don't fear the luxury tax because what contracts they do have could expire in 3-4 years instead of 6, the team salary could be growing at as little as 3-5%, and they only have a $3M mid-level.

0nekhmer
11-13-2011, 08:21 PM
i really hope billy hunter and d fisher won't "there are still things we want to negotiate" ***** again. this isn't the greatest deal but at least they're both compromising.