PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: Kareem ignored me (ESPN)

KillaInstinct24
11-12-2011, 10:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7227081/shaquille-oneal-holds-little-back-new-book

O'Neal also takes issues with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The two may share lineage in a line of great Laker centers, but in Shaq's eyes, the elder center was reluctant to share any advice or tips.

"Kareem was never around. And, whenever I did see him, he usually ignored me. The disappointing thing to me was, being in L.A. all those years and trying to fill those shoes, I would have liked to have a conversation with him ...

"He'd say hello, but I was looking for, 'Hey, do this' or 'Watch out for that.' He knew everyone was comparing me to him. He knew better than anyone what I was up against, but he gave me nothing."

Abdul-Jabbar responded to these criticisms with a post on his personal Facebook page.

"I went down to LSU and worked with Shaq on the fundamentals of the Skyhook as a favor to Coach Dale Brown. I spent time with Shaq in the gym and gave him some drills he could use to develop the hook shot. But when I followed up with his Coach, Dale Brown, I was told that Shaq's father told his son he didn't need to develop a hook shot and all he needed to ... do was smash everything into the basket. Shaq's fathers felt that he was so overpowering physically that he should just dunk everything and not worry about developing a finesse shot like the Skyhook," he wrote.

Abdul-Jabbar added: "As a pro I never approached Shaq because I thought he was pretty successful dunking everything and I assumed he didn't want my help. Additionally, I was never on the coaching staff of any of his teams. I was never unfriendly to him and I would talk to him, but Shaq was enjoying his success, doing it his way. He never asked me of what I thought he should be doing and he never tried to reach out to me for any instruction and I respected that decision.

"If I had any idea that Shaq wanted to learn from me, I would have been happy to have worked with him, but all indications that I had received was that he felt he was doing fine and he didn't need or want my help. I am totally surprised by Shaq's comments as I tried to respect his privacy and never got any indication from anyone that he wanted or needed any input from me with regard to how he played the game. Shaq had a great career, and I like everyone else, respect what he has achieved."

Wade>You
11-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I remember a while back reading (when Shaq came to Miami) that the Lakers wanted Shaq to work with Kareem, but Shaq didn't want to.

lakers4sho
11-12-2011, 11:16 PM
next thing you know, Shaq will have a couple of pages dedicated to towel boy Johnny not giving him a towel whe n he asked.

Tymathee
11-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Lol Shaq is such a prick, i'm glad this is all coming out now. all those kobe haters cuz shaq left are starting to realize what i knew "shaq is a freakin jerk"

KillaInstinct24
11-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Lol Shaq is such a prick, i'm glad this is all coming out now. all those kobe haters cuz shaq left are starting to realize what i knew "shaq is a freakin jerk"

to be honest both shaq and kobe made plenty of mistakes. kobe is not free of any blame

lakers4sho
11-13-2011, 03:14 AM
but Kobe was a 20 year old youngin and Shaq was light years ahead of him in terms of age, he should've known better.

LAKERMANIA
11-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Even if this is true, he's doing the same thing currently with Dwight..

midwestlaker75
11-13-2011, 05:43 AM
We all know it has to be about Shaq.... Shaq must always be the center of attention, The minute someone else gets the spotlight Shaq gets upset. Whether it's Penny Hardaway, Kobe, D-Wade and if he had stayed around Cleveland long enough it would have been LeBron. Remember while he was with the Cavs he actually started to complain about not getting the ball. So O.K. Shaq show us how to do the right thing and reach out to Dwight and Andrew (today's top two big men), Pass to them what you have learned or is this another way for you to try and steal the spotlight again. Shaq you're like school in the summer...NO CLASS!

Chronz
11-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Basically what hes doing to Dwight now only no where near as bad. It doesnt surprise me that KAJ didnt reach out to him or vice versa for that matter, but I dont see why any of you are reacting negatively to such a neutral article.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
classic shaq:laugh2: what do you expect?

Avenged
11-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Cry me a river.

Lakerfrk
11-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Shaq is a tool.. and just got OWNED by Kareem's well put together response... Always loved Kareem, always hated Shaq.

MJ-BULLS
11-14-2011, 02:08 AM
if shaq could have developed a hook shot. :speechless:

KillaInstinct24
11-15-2011, 07:44 PM
if shaq could have developed a hook shot. :speechless:

then the game would have come even easier to him allowing him to get fatter earlier in his career lol. but really if he had one he would have been the best center of all time IMO

Storch
11-16-2011, 04:55 AM
IMO, Prime Shaq >>>>> Prime Kareem. This is coming from one of Shaq's biggest fans so there IS definitely some bias in that statement. :)

LA_Raiders
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
lol. Shaq never shuts up..

Tymathee
11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
to be honest both shaq and kobe made plenty of mistakes. kobe is not free of any blame

Yeah, but Shaq was the "wisened vet" and Kobe the youngster like another said, he should've been the mature one. Also, there are a lot of people who HATE Kobe and refuse to be laker fans because of what they perceive as Kobe "kicking" shaq out of LA, when it was all his own doing.

KillaInstinct24
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but Shaq was the "wisened vet" and Kobe the youngster like another said, he should've been the mature one. Also, there are a lot of people who HATE Kobe and refuse to be laker fans because of what they perceive as Kobe "kicking" shaq out of LA, when it was all his own doing.

It's easy to say that but Kobe was already 25, nearing 26, by the time those 2004 Finals rolled around. I'm 27 and I've matured a long time ago. Dont give the guy a break because of age, nobody ever says, oh Lebron is just a youngster so we cant fault him for his mistakes. Therefore, if it cannot be applied to all it shouldnt be applied to one. Shaq made mistakes, Kobe made mistakes. End of story.

Catoblepas
11-18-2011, 12:12 AM
If Shaq attempted Kareem Hooks.. his fg% would have been a lot lower. Shaq was one of my favorite players, but the guy never learned any new moves throughout his career. He always had the same game smash it inside lol.

ldawg
11-19-2011, 10:02 AM
It's easy to say that but Kobe was already 25, nearing 26, by the time those 2004 Finals rolled around. I'm 27 and I've matured a long time ago. Dont give the guy a break because of age, nobody ever says, oh Lebron is just a youngster so we cant fault him for his mistakes. Therefore, if it cannot be applied to all it shouldnt be applied to one. Shaq made mistakes, Kobe made mistakes. End of story.yeah but you don't worth millions so you are not spoil with the power of the green.